PDA

View Full Version : Friday morale shirts

Smeghead
02-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Just saw bright blue t-shirts under ABU. Stupidest fucking idea ever.

BOSS302
02-07-2014, 02:13 PM

As opposed to our sand colored t-shirts? With sage green boots? All combined just in case we ever fight a peer-power in an Avatar landscape.

The ABUs are inherently ridiculous. I think any "morale" t-shirt will just add to their Bozo the Clown factor.

Chief_KO
02-07-2014, 02:48 PM

Must be the color of the flying squadron they support. How much longer till "awareness shirts" will be authorized...

SomeRandomGuy
02-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Must be the color of the flying squadron they support. How much longer till "awareness shirts" will be authorized...

That will be sweet. Can't wait until people are wearing pink undershirts to support breast cancer awareness.

Smeghead
02-07-2014, 03:02 PM
Must be the color of the flying squadron they support...

Well, we have no flying squadrons.

And nowhere in the AFI does it say that.

AlexCross
02-07-2014, 03:29 PM
I have yet to see any crazy colored shirts....but I am sure it is coming soon. They are talking about it here.

DocBones
02-07-2014, 03:38 PM
I would wear either my Beavis and Butthead tshirt, or my Jimi Hendrix tshirt, except for the fact that those guys are no longer viewed on TV, or he is dead.

Maybe if I wore those tshirts more, though, maybe they all will be resurrected?

Maybe if any of y'all in the AF are Goth, you can wear black tshirts?

Maybe return to the day when we wore white tshirts? If the area around the neck is clean, no one would say anything if you were to wear your pizza stained white tshirt?

I think that everyone that is other minded about their sexuality should wear their rainbow tsirts.

If anybody wants to support the AF Us football team, they should get to wear the jersey of choice, instead of the usual camos. Same thing for basketball and baseball.

Piggybacking on to SomeRandomGuy's thought, I think that everyone in the AF should be issued pink camo ABUs, to be worn on Breast Cancer Awareness day or month, or whatever the Cancer Awareness People have for awareneness of breast cancer.

:smile:

Chief_KO
02-07-2014, 03:39 PM
5.1.3. T-Shirt - Desert Sand colored (Tan). A desert sand (tan), short or long sleeved t-shirt will be worn under the ABU coat. Exception: Squadron commanders may authorize Airmen to wear a standardized color undershirt on Friday (only one color per squadron; individual purchase only, not unit-funded). Wing Commanders are the waiver authority to allow more than one color of T-shirt per squadron if it builds esprit-de-corps and facilitates team building (examples: maintenance and life support personnel, and flight doctors associated with individual flying squadrons). Wing, or squadron commanders may prescribe unit designation emblems, not to exceed 5 inches in diameter, in cloth or silk screen, worn on the left side of chest of both the desert sand and squadron commander-prescribed Friday morale undershirts. In-theater commander will determine if Airmen are authorized to wear standardized color undershirts with or without unit designation emblems. Neither unit designation emblems or commercial logos will be visible when wearing the ABU coat (shirt). Desert sand (tan) turtlenecks may also be authorized; thermal undergarments may be desert sand, white or cream colored and are authorized for wear as weather conditions warrant. T-shirts and turtlenecks will not have pockets and all must be tucked into the trousers.

DocBones
02-07-2014, 03:54 PM
Chief_KO,

According to the rules, no one can wear those t shirts, a la 1980s, that were very short, as in ending right below the breasts of the female wearers?

Whatever happened to building esprit de corps? While at the gym in the old days, a chick wearing one of those t shirts at the gym, and also being braless, assured the fact that the usual resolution busters kept on going back to the gym.

I won't go into which of the muscle groups those guys were working out, but I think that maybe you get the picture...

Smeghead
02-07-2014, 03:55 PM
5.1.3. T-Shirt - Desert Sand colored (Tan). A desert sand (tan), short or long sleeved t-shirt will be worn under the ABU coat. Exception: Squadron commanders may authorize Airmen to wear a standardized color undershirt on Friday (only one color per squadron; individual purchase only, not unit-funded). Wing Commanders are the waiver authority to allow more than one color of T-shirt per squadron if it builds esprit-de-corps and facilitates team building (examples: maintenance and life support personnel, and flight doctors associated with individual flying squadrons). Wing, or squadron commanders may prescribe unit designation emblems, not to exceed 5 inches in diameter, in cloth or silk screen, worn on the left side of chest of both the desert sand and squadron commander-prescribed Friday morale undershirts. In-theater commander will determine if Airmen are authorized to wear standardized color undershirts with or without unit designation emblems. Neither unit designation emblems or commercial logos will be visible when wearing the ABU coat (shirt). Desert sand (tan) turtlenecks may also be authorized; thermal undergarments may be desert sand, white or cream colored and are authorized for wear as weather conditions warrant. T-shirts and turtlenecks will not have pockets and all must be tucked into the trousers.

I read that. But your comment of must implied that everyone MUST follow lead of the flying unit they support. My AFSC will never be in a flying squadron, I'm wing staff or FSS, so my color would be whatever my squadron commander decided upon.
Once again, everyone's interpretation of AFIese differs. Wish they'd just write them in black and white.

Or am I reading your original post wrong? As is "I guess that must be the color of the flying squadron?"

DocBones
02-07-2014, 04:07 PM
OK, so now will the real flying officers wear their flight suits in different colors, than what is issued?

Also, I believe that all non flying people that wear flight suits should all wear the 'I am not a flying person, but I feel entitled to wear my flight suit, because we be officers, and don't you try to change our minds,' hippy colored flight suits, with the usual paisley pattern.

BENDER56
02-07-2014, 04:43 PM
For many years I was part of teams that would go out to squadrons and administer the flu vaccine each year. You can't push a BDU sleeve up high enough to access the injection site so everyone had to unbutton their top and take their arm out of their sleeve. I injected thousands of people and I'd estimate 10-15 percent of them wore illegal T-shirts. I seem to recall that black concert tour T-shirts were popular

LogDog
02-07-2014, 07:14 PM
That will be sweet. Can't wait until people are wearing pink undershirts to support breast cancer awareness.
If they allow people to wear pink undershirts to support breast cancer awareness then what color would the undershirts be to support testicular or rectal cancer? :smile-new:

AlexCross
02-07-2014, 07:19 PM
If they allow people to wear pink undershirts to support breast cancer awareness then what color would the undershirts be to support testicular or rectal cancer? :smile-new:

Purple appears to be the color for testicular cancer...and blue for rectal cancer... I googled it.

LogDog
02-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Purple appears to be the color for testicular cancer...and blue for rectal cancer... I googled it.
I'm thinking more along the lines of Blue for testicular cancer and Brown for rectal cancer.

raider8169
02-07-2014, 07:48 PM
I am looking to get the shirts for my unit. We are looking towards a royal blue color as that is our unit color. I havnt gotten the ok on it yet. Plus I havnt seen any units on this base that have started it.

AlexCross
02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
I'm thinking more along the lines of Blue for testicular cancer and Brown for rectal cancer.

haha. Those colors would make more sense. BUT apparently they would be wrong. You should Google the cancer ribbon chart. There is a color for everything.

SomeRandomGuy
02-07-2014, 08:09 PM
I am looking to get the shirts for my unit. We are looking towards a royal blue color as that is our unit color. I havnt gotten the ok on it yet. Plus I havnt seen any units on this base that have started it.

I ran into PTGOD earlier and he was wearing this shirt.

http://www.youcanlivebetter.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ab-shirt.jpg

Chief_KO
02-07-2014, 08:18 PM
I read that. But your comment of must implied that everyone MUST follow lead of the flying unit they support. My AFSC will never be in a flying squadron, I'm wing staff or FSS, so my color would be whatever my squadron commander decided upon.
Once again, everyone's interpretation of AFIese differs. Wish they'd just write them in black and white.

Or am I reading your original post wrong? As is "I guess that must be the color of the flying squadron?"

I ASSUMEd that all non-flying units would stick with desert tan but add the unit patch...guess I was wrong on that.

I figured only the flyers are GAY enough to wear colored t-shirts, along with their scarfs, leather jackets, and onesies...

OtisRNeedleman
02-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Morale T-shirts, one day a week? How stupid. Why not just go back to the old unit morale baseball cap?

Absinthe Anecdote
02-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Morale T-shirts, one day a week? How stupid. Why not just go back to the old unit morale baseball cap?

Nah, that's been done before; we have to come up with something new. I'm thinking rhinestone bedazzled ABUs and bags of glitter confetti to sprinkle around the base on Fridays.

sandsjames
02-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Nah, that's been done before; we have to come up with something new. I'm thinking rhinestone bedazzled ABUs and bags of glitter confetti to sprinkle around the base on Fridays.

I think that was already approved in a parade downtown, in uniform. Or was that something else? Oh well, give it time.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-07-2014, 09:13 PM
I ASSUMEd that all non-flying units would stick with desert tan but add the unit patch...guess I was wrong on that.

I figured only the flyers are GAY enough to wear colored t-shirts, along with their scarfs, leather jackets, and onesies...

LOL!

Long ago, a major overheard me talking shit about this potbellied captain in a flight suit, I said that he looked like a fat baby in a onesie. The major really chewed me out for being unprofessional, but two days later, half the officers in the section were cracking jokes about Captain Onesie.

It had to be the same major that chewed me out that spread the story around.

Chief_KO
02-07-2014, 10:18 PM
LOL!

Long ago, a major overheard me talking shit about this potbellied captain in a flight suit, I said that he looked like a fat baby in a onesie. The major really chewed me out for being unprofessional, but two days later, half the officers in the section were cracking jokes about Captain Onesie.

And he took credit for calling in a onesie.

AF trivia: What is the term used to describe the situation when an Airman is testing the bounds of his flightsuit?
Answer: Reaching maximum velcrocity.

Chief_KO
02-08-2014, 01:16 AM

Took me awhile, but I understand the confusion I started. I didn't mean "must" as directive, I meant it as "must've been blue cause that's what the flyboys are wearing", hence the two color option for some "special Airmen."

Koa1121
02-08-2014, 03:58 AM
Our squadron has a design contest going. Winner gets a 3 day pass. All shirts must be based off of a sand shirt base. Our pilots came out today wearing just about every different color t shirt you could imagine under their flight suits today.

Gonzo432
02-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Squadrons of all kinds have colors, but I couldn't have told you what they were when assigned there. There was one (22d Supply, yes I'm old) at McConnell I remember. We had early-70s Swingin (Oakland) A's" green and yellow. The bowling team had shirts in those colors, it looked like they went to Rollie Fingers' garage sale.

Chief_KO
02-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Our squadron has a design contest going. Winner gets a 3 day pass. All shirts must be based off of a sand shirt base. Our pilots came out today wearing just about every different color t shirt you could imagine under their flight suits today.

Hopefully they didn't clash with their scarves.

BOSS302
02-08-2014, 03:08 PM

That is fucking stupid.

Gonzo432
02-08-2014, 07:34 PM
That is fucking stupid.

Roger that. Your squadron may have ugly colors, but we are gonna wear that ugly color every Friday because it's our squadron. Starting with the color we wear the other 4 days? What's the point.

In the early 90s when black was first authorized with BDUs and it later was authorized to wear the unit patch (up to 5 inch diameter), it wasn't that freakin hard. Things that should be easy have become WAY too hard.

snowman
02-08-2014, 10:09 PM
the entire morale t shirt thing is retarded, how in the hell does wearing a different color shirt on Fridays help morale? If i can wear a bright red shirt on friday (which is the color of our morale shirts) why can't I wear it the rest of the week, why not NO HAT Mondays, No shaving Tuesdays, No Boots Wed, no Pants thursday...whats the point...oh right the point is to distract us from how shity everything is, the weak minded sheep are now concentrating on Tshirt colors and best design contests

sandsjames
02-08-2014, 10:26 PM
the entire morale t shirt thing is retarded, how in the hell does wearing a different color shirt on Fridays help morale? If i can wear a bright red shirt on friday (which is the color of our morale shirts) why can't I wear it the rest of the week, why not NO HAT Mondays, No shaving Tuesdays, No Boots Wed, no Pants thursday...whats the point...oh right the point is to distract us from how shity everything is, the weak minded sheep are now concentrating on Tshirt colors and best design contestsYep...bright t-shirts and black socks in PT gear. The leadership is definitely looking out for the well-being of the troops.

Juggs
02-08-2014, 10:28 PM
OK, so now will the real flying officers wear their flight suits in different colors, than what is issued?

Also, I believe that all non flying people that wear flight suits should all wear the 'I am not a flying person, but I feel entitled to wear my flight suit, because we be officers, and don't you try to change our minds,' hippy colored flight suits, with the usual paisley pattern.

Yea well I feel academy nerds shouldn't wear their "I'm not a jumper but I completed a little sky dive program while in college and I want to look cool wings". Those pathetic things do nothing except make the O feel better. They serve no operational purpose. You can't jump even static line with those things.

I was a flyer, I was a TACP and while on jump status I was authorized a flight suit. I didn't wear it unless jumping. The AF is so pathetic with all of its little feel good bullshit.

Juggs
02-08-2014, 10:30 PM
LOL!

He "had" to chew you out to be set a tone about doing that stuff within ear shot of certain people, but then ran and told his buddies about something AA said that was wicked funny

wxjumper
02-09-2014, 02:38 AM
My moral is already high on Friday, it is the last work day of the week. Don't need a freaken T-Shirt to boost moral that is already high. Now if they had it for another day of the week, HUUUMP DAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY for example, maybe it would make more sense.

BOSS302
02-09-2014, 11:09 AM
My moral is already high on Friday, it is the last work day of the week. Don't need a freaken T-Shirt to boost moral that is already high. Now if they had it for another day of the week, HUUUMP DAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY for example, maybe it would make more sense.

What is so damn hard about spelling "morale" correctly?

wxjumper
02-09-2014, 11:40 AM
What is so damn hard about spelling "morale" correctly?

That is one of about 1 milyon words that I cant spel corectly.

jshiver15
02-09-2014, 04:03 PM
I shit you not . . it's coming down the line that our squadron will authorize morale shirts . . but only for people with 90s and above on their latest PT test (with no exempt categories).

Absinthe Anecdote
02-09-2014, 04:13 PM
I shit you not . . it's coming down the line that our squadron will authorize morale shirts . . but only for people with 90s and above on their latest PT test (with no exempt categories).

Exactly the way it should be. However, I think the 90 and above crowd deserves a hell of a lot more than a crummy morale shirt.

efmbman
02-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Exactly the way it should be. However, I think the 90 and above crowd deserves a hell of a lot more than a crummy morale shirt.

They do get something more - the opportunity to re-enlist and continue service :smile:

Absinthe Anecdote
02-09-2014, 04:23 PM
They do get something more - the opportunity to re-enlist and continue service :smile:

Amen! The future is looking pretty good from where I a sitting.

BOSS302
02-09-2014, 05:55 PM

http://i.imgur.com/8ayMt.gif

BISSBOSS
02-09-2014, 09:56 PM
:pat::pat:

THAT... is EXACTLY what the expected outcome would be!

Write a clear and concise standard and sit back and watch the AF "Subjectivity Wheel" spin... The result..? Perversion of the standard.

It's no wonder we can't trust guys not to cheat on tests. At the moment - We can't figure out how to READ A STEP and DO A STEP - Let ALONE get the banana..!

In the words of the immortal Charlie Brown... "Good grief..."

-BB-

TomTom093
02-10-2014, 12:24 AM
:pat::pat:

THAT... is EXACTLY what the expected outcome would be!

Write a clear and concise standard and sit back and watch the AF "Subjectivity Wheel" spin... The result..? Perversion of the standard.

It's no wonder we can't trust guys not to cheat on tests. At the moment - We can't figure out how to READ A STEP and DO A STEP - Let ALONE get the banana..!

In the words of the immortal Charlie Brown... "Good grief..."

-BB-

Same thing when it comes to a lot of other standards. Ribbons and badges on blue shirts for example...

imported_blacksheep1208
02-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Same thing when it comes to a lot of other standards. Ribbons and badges on blue shirts for example...

That confusion comes from ate up SNCO's. Not from people not being able to read the AFI.

Vrake
02-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Nice a scarlet color. (or lack of) That should skyrocket morale for y'all. Here I am thinking the Navy had the monopoly on stupidity.

Sergeant eNYgma
02-10-2014, 04:32 PM

Always wondered about that, the leather jackets to me seriously looked retarded and still do...like who are you trying to impress exactly?

Class5Kayaker
02-10-2014, 05:25 PM
Yea well I feel academy nerds shouldn't wear their "I'm not a jumper but I completed a little sky dive program while in college and I want to look cool wings". Those pathetic things do nothing except make the O feel better. They serve no operational purpose. You can't jump even static line with those things.

I was a flyer, I was a TACP and while on jump status I was authorized a flight suit. I didn't wear it unless jumping. The AF is so pathetic with all of its little feel good bullshit.

A.K.A "Five jump chump"

Stalwart
02-10-2014, 05:35 PM
A.K.A "Five jump chump"

Not even, it is literally a sky-diving class at the Academy. I work with someone now who did that and has jump wings.

Many years ago we had some pilots (who had attended the same sky diving class) from Seymour-Johnson come down to Camp LeJeune and jump with us ... never jumped static line with gear strapped to them etc. All but one ended up hurt.

BigBaze
02-10-2014, 08:25 PM

Oh come on, are us big bad flyers really that bad? :)

BOSS302
02-10-2014, 09:13 PM

Always wondered about that, the leather jackets to me seriously looked retarded and still do...like who are you trying to impress exactly?

Not even, it is literally a sky-diving class at the Academy. I work with someone now who did that and has jump wings.

Many years ago we had some pilots (who had attended the same sky diving class) from Seymour-Johnson come down to Camp LeJeune and jump with us ... never jumped static line with gear strapped to them etc. All but one ended up hurt.

FLAPS is going to beat that ass...

sandsjames
02-10-2014, 09:18 PM
This is great...in the span of 6 posts we had the terms "retarded" and "gay" used for their non-pc intended purpose...

Chief_KO
02-10-2014, 09:50 PM
My usage of the word "gay":
"Bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments. Synonyms: colorful, brilliant, vivid, intense, lustrous; glittering, theatrical, flamboyant. Antonyms: dull, drab, somber, lackluster; conservative." (per dictionary.reference.com)

I know not of what one means by the term "non-pc"

Chief_KO
02-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Regarding the jump wings from USAFA...the cadets have a choice:
Either skydive (fall out of a plane six times) or visit the 11th Civil Engineer Squadron...funny, not too many want to hang out at CES.

sandsjames
02-10-2014, 10:42 PM
"Bright or showy: gay colors; gay ornaments. Synonyms: colorful, brilliant, vivid, intense, lustrous; glittering, theatrical, flamboyant. Antonyms: dull, drab, somber, lackluster; conservative." (per dictionary.reference.com)

Of course that's what you meant...my bad...

sandsjames
02-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Either skydive (fall out of a plane six times) or visit the 11th Civil Engineer Squadron...funny, not too many want to hang out at CES.

Don't blame them...they end up getting their asses handed to them at Ping-Pong or Halo if they hang out at CE...

wxjumper
02-11-2014, 04:43 AM

Many years ago we had some pilots (who had attended the same sky diving class) from Seymour-Johnson come down to Camp LeJeune and jump with us ... never jumped static line with gear strapped to them etc. All but one ended up hurt.I'm surprised you let them jump Static without attending BAC, must just be a Marines thing. If you are going to jump on an Army or Air Force sponsored static line jump, you need to pass Basic Airborne Course at Ft Benning first, even if you already have your jump wings from the Academy.

BOSS302
02-11-2014, 07:54 AM

When we had cadets visit our CES as part of their summer bullshit, we had to corral Power Pro into a pen made of HESCO barriers and barricade it with Jersey barriers for the duration of the cadets' visit.

Other than that, those things go well. They get to play with ROWPUs, bucket trucks, surveying equpiment with the EA nerds, and EOD equipment.

BOSS302
02-11-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm surprised you let them jump Static without attending BAC, must just be a Marines thing. If you are going to jump on an Army or Air Force sponsored static line jump, you need to pass Basic Airborne Course at Ft Benning first, even if you already have your jump wings from the Academy.

Yes. I kind of wanted to throw the ol' BS flag on his story...

Stalwart
02-11-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised you let them jump Static without attending BAC, must just be a Marines thing. If you are going to jump on an Army or Air Force sponsored static line jump, you need to pass Basic Airborne Course at Ft Benning first, even if you already have your jump wings from the Academy.

In the Marines, you have to have either attended Army BAC or a couple of other military sponsored static line courses (i.e. a lot of SeALs now do not attend BAC but a Navy or SOC sponsored course), and I jumped with SOC personnel who didn't attend BAC but other courses on Army sponsored jumps. I wasn't the jumpmaster or SNCOIC that day so I don't really know what credentials they passed or how they set it up.

Yes. I kind of wanted to throw the ol' BS flag on his story...

You can throw it ... doesn't mean it didn't happen. At the time I was a Sgt, not very senior and don't know too many details on how they got the OK to participate ... my info is from talking to the one that didn't get hurt.

BISSBOSS
02-11-2014, 03:06 PM

Well played Sir!

-BB-

BENDER56
02-11-2014, 05:36 PM

I was a SNCO and first sergeant and I never wore my ribbons unless it was for consistency in a formation or ceremony. I thought the shirt looked less cluttered without them and besides that they always snagged on my car's shoulder belt. I always wore my badge, though.

BRUWIN
02-11-2014, 08:58 PM
I was a SNCO and first sergeant and I never wore my ribbons unless it was for consistency in a formation or ceremony. I thought the shirt looked less cluttered without them and besides that they always snagged on my car's shoulder belt. I always wore my badge, though.

The problem with wearing my ribbon rack was I could not get my window closed when I was driving while wearing them..

TomTom093
02-12-2014, 12:50 AM
The thing that gets me with wearing ribbons is I don't feel like I've earned any. I just have the NDSM, GWOT Service medal and AF Training ribbon. Even when I pass my three year mark, I'll still feel like the Good Conduct Medal is automatically given for not being a screw up. Same thing with PCS or PCA decorations.

As for the badge, my tech school wasn't particularly hard so it goes back to the same thing with the ribbons: I don't feel like I've truly "earned" it. My "reward" fr completing tech school should just be the fact that I'm getting paid right now. We're giving shit out when members haven't really accomplished anything.

Chief_KO
02-12-2014, 02:29 AM
The USAF adopted the longevity service ribbon to replace the service stripes on the uniform to signify number of years of service. This was to differentiate us from the Army. Funny how that works...we do something to look different the Army, Airman complain. We do something to look like the Army, Airman complain.

GWOT started out with two medals/ribbon (Service & Expeditionary). Funny, but in a few short years troops (all branches) were complaining that the Iraq or Afghanistan vet would have the same rack as the guy who served at the Died...So DoD created the Iraq & Afghan medals/ribbons. Funny, now Airman are complaining that today's Airman (who deployed more in 5 years than we ever did in 20+ years) has a ribbon rack bigger than Patton's.

As a cost saving measure USAF dropped the AFGCM...funny, Airmen complained and USAF brought it back (to be the same as the other branches and to maintain our...wait for it...heritage!)

In 1982 the only AFSCs (that I remember) with specialty badges were ATC, SP/LE, Medical (and of course the flyboys)...funny, Airmen complained that each AFSC was important and deserved equal recognition (although only Medical & aircrew are mandatory wear). Now each AFSC has a specialty badge and yep...Airman complain.

One of my favorite photos is of Sgt_KO (NCO at 27 months TIS) sporting his one ribbon (BMT grad)...funny, I remember all the guys in my BMT flight proudly putting that one ribbon (except for the "heroes" who sported three) on our blue shirts the day we left Lackland.

One thing will remain certain and absolute about Airman, Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Coastguardsman (although mostly with Airman), they will always bitch about what they have and bitch about what they don't.

DWWSWWD
02-12-2014, 03:58 AM
I always did like the flair. I was proud of my one ribbon. I think my next one was an Achievement Medal, then an Outstanding Unit. I was very proud of each of them. I got my first Commendation Medal at 12 yrs and was super proud of that. When they did the garbage that KO mentioned I started not being quite as proud, unfortunately. Now, working on my 11th row and feel like about half were just handed to me. Really a shame.

giggawatt
02-12-2014, 04:43 AM
When we had cadets visit our CES as part of their summer bullshit, we had to corral Power Pro into a pen made of HESCO barriers and barricade it with Jersey barriers for the duration of the cadets' visit.

Other than that, those things go well. They get to play with ROWPUs, bucket trucks, surveying equpiment with the EA nerds, and EOD equipment.

Who would want to play with a ROWPU or a bucket truck? The arresting systems are where it's at. Show those future fly boys that it's power pro that saves their ass and not the damn fire dawgs.

BOSS302
02-12-2014, 06:34 AM
Who would want to play with a ROWPU or a bucket truck? The arresting systems are where it's at. Show those future fly boys that it's power pro that saves their ass and not the damn fire dawgs.

Everyone knows that it's the Fire Department that gets it done. Power Pro sits on scene in their GOV and plays Angry Birds.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-12-2014, 10:10 AM
The USAF adopted the longevity service ribbon to replace the service stripes on the uniform to signify number of years of service. This was to differentiate us from the Army. Funny how that works...we do something to look different the Army, Airman complain. We do something to look like the Army, Airman complain.

GWOT started out with two medals/ribbon (Service & Expeditionary). Funny, but in a few short years troops (all branches) were complaining that the Iraq or Afghanistan vet would have the same rack as the guy who served at the Died...So DoD created the Iraq & Afghan medals/ribbons. Funny, now Airman are complaining that today's Airman (who deployed more in 5 years than we ever did in 20+ years) has a ribbon rack bigger than Patton's.

As a cost saving measure USAF dropped the AFGCM...funny, Airmen complained and USAF brought it back (to be the same as the other branches and to maintain our...wait for it...heritage!)

In 1982 the only AFSCs (that I remember) with specialty badges were ATC, SP/LE, Medical (and of course the flyboys)...funny, Airmen complained that each AFSC was important and deserved equal recognition (although only Medical & aircrew are mandatory wear). Now each AFSC has a specialty badge and yep...Airman complain.

One of my favorite photos is of Sgt_KO (NCO at 27 months TIS) sporting his one ribbon (BMT grad)...funny, I remember all the guys in my BMT flight proudly putting that one ribbon (except for the "heroes" who sported three) on our blue shirts the day we left Lackland.

One thing will remain certain and absolute about Airman, Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Coastguardsman (although mostly with Airman), they will always bitch about what they have and bitch about what they don't.

So true, people complain out of habit, and I think it is largely a coping mechanism for the normal and inevitable pressure of life.

I prefer to complain about complainers, especially Sandsjames, because it makes me feel superior and helps break up the boredom.

BOSS302
02-12-2014, 10:26 AM
I prefer to complain about complainers, especially Sandsjames, because it makes me feel superior and helps break up the boredom.

He's also very much a "beta male." If you and Sandsjames were in high school together, you'd be the one shoving him lockers and stealing his prom dates.

Absinthe Anecdote
02-12-2014, 10:33 AM
He's also very much a "beta male." If you and Sandsjames were in high school together, you'd be the one shoving him lockers and stealing his prom dates.

Sometimes, I can actually smell "beta male" pheromones in his posts.

sandsjames
02-12-2014, 12:07 PM

So true...and a proud beta I am. Though I'm not sure he'd steal my prom dates. If you saw my prom dates you wouldn't want to steal them either.

giggawatt
02-13-2014, 03:24 AM
Everyone knows that it's the Fire Department that gets it done. Power Pro sits on scene in their GOV and plays Angry Birds.

Aww HELL NO! You crossed the line there buddy!

Juggs
02-13-2014, 01:40 PM
A.K.A "Five jump chump"

Those arent even 5 jump chumps. Atleast folks that are 5 jump chumps through an actual DoD recognized jump school have operational wings. These academy feel good wings are just that. They make them feel good. I had some dumbass Lt tell me his first jumps were freefall. My response was, yes, but it wasnt Mility Freefall, and your wings dont mean shit now that you're in the actual AF. He was an idiot and got booted anyhow.

Juggs
02-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Exactly, they shouldve got in trouble for lying. They werent qualified for do those jumps. The jump masters can only do so much. Granted, static line isnt that hard, but if you've NEVER done it before and have ONLY done skydiving, you wont know how to crash into the earth. Thats exactly what it is also, with a T10D parachute, its a crash. Did anybody question their jump wings? I questioned officer jump wings all the time. Unless, they for whatever reason went down to Benning while at the academy and earned their wings, they arent qualified to do any type of airborne operations (airborne as the army considers it, i know the AF considers anything in the sky as airborne)

Absinthe Anecdote
02-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Those arent even 5 jump chumps. Atleast folks that are 5 jump chumps through an actual DoD recognized jump school have operational wings. These academy feel good wings are just that. They make them feel good. I had some dumbass Lt tell me his first jumps were freefall. My response was, yes, but it wasnt Mility Freefall, and your wings dont mean shit now that you're in the actual AF. He was an idiot and got booted anyhow.

Are AF Academy jump wings authorized for wear once a person enters into active duty? If so, why not give them pilot wings for flying those little gliders?

Chief_KO
02-13-2014, 04:31 PM
Are AF Academy jump wings authorized for wear once a person enters into active duty? If so, why not give them pilot wings for flying those little gliders?

Yes. We couldn't give them real AF wings...that would "tarnish" the image of "real aircrew". (it obviously okay to tarnish the image of anyone jump qualified...those dirty mostly enlisted types especially)

jshiver15
02-13-2014, 05:07 PM

You just won the Internet with that post. Well stated.

When I first came in I thought we were a bit overzealous with our "awards" but then when I started working with more Soldiers I realized we have the same exact shit but organized differently on our uniforms. Frankly, I'd much rather add ribbons and clusters than to have to add extra stripes, ropes, tabs, tassels, whistles, bells, or whatever item is required on the service dress.

Juggs
02-13-2014, 06:25 PM

Because those are USAF pilots wings. You cant dare give those to cadets!!! Deal lord, how could you even insinuate such a thing.

Juggs
02-13-2014, 06:31 PM

Not every AFSC has its own specialty badge. TACPs wear the same one as a Command post person. The jump wings used to be considered aeronautical wings, but not anymore. Also, TACPs bitched because we wanted to be authorized to wear accouterments awarded by the Army. CABs, EIBs, Combat patches, just to name a few are things folks in my world hold dearly. When the Army considered you one of their brothers it was a big deal. The AF did something good and developed the AFCAM. However, like everything, they screwed it up.

Chief_KO
02-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Not every AFSC has its own specialty badge. TACPs wear the same one as a Command post person. The jump wings used to be considered aeronautical wings, but not anymore. Also, TACPs bitched because we wanted to be authorized to wear accouterments awarded by the Army. CABs, EIBs, Combat patches, just to name a few are things folks in my world hold dearly. When the Army considered you one of their brothers it was a big deal. The AF did something good and developed the AFCAM. However, like everything, they screwed it up.

True some AFSCs "share" a badge. I remember when I was a 305x4 the Comm-Electronics Maintenance badge came out, then General McPonytail threw all the AFSCs into a blender and as a 2E2 we came out wearing the Maintenance badge along with acft maintenance, etc.

Didn't the new change to -2903 authorize the wear of Ranger Tabs, etc.? I always thought this was wrong, if you earned it and awarded it by sister service you should be allowed to wear it.

Class5Kayaker
02-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Didn't the new change to -2903 authorize the wear of Ranger Tabs, etc.? I always thought this was wrong, if you earned it and awarded it by sister service you should be allowed to wear it.

It did. What I found interesting that it was approved under a CSAF that's a fighter pilot while it was never approved (it was recommended every year) under the previous CSAF who was a Spec Ops pilot. You'd think if anyone would have approved it it would have been the guy with AFSOC roots.

Chief_KO
02-13-2014, 08:53 PM
It did. What I found interesting that it was approved under a CSAF that's a fighter pilot while it was never approved (it was recommended every year) under the previous CSAF who was a Spec Ops pilot. You'd think if anyone would have approved it it would have been the guy with AFSOC roots.

Good point. Interesting, I remember a whole lotsa Airmen jumping for joy at the first AFSOC guy to make CSAF...and those same Airman shaking their heads later. Maybe it's not where the CSAF comes from but the political landscape in front of him/her that really matters.

Regarding the sister service flair and morale t-shirts. This is a no-cost change for the AF (other than the staffing cost for the AFI). The flair was issued by the other services, the member must pay to have sewn on, and the rainbow t-shirts are individual purchase.

This is known in the business as the "ol misdirection play" aka. "the oldest trick in the book". Look over there at Johnny's yellow t-shirt and Steve-Os Army bling while we don't pay the full AD pay raise directed by law, cut support facilities and services, raise TRICARE fees, cut manning, and.... But, at least every Friday you can wear a funny colored t-shirt.

jshiver15
02-13-2014, 09:31 PM
The AF did something good and developed the AFCAM. However, like everything, they screwed it up.

From what I've been told by JTACs and even some WX personnel is that it is incredibly difficult to prove that you "deserve" the AFCAM, even in situations where the Army CAB has been awarded.

jshiver15
02-13-2014, 09:41 PM
True some AFSCs "share" a badge. I remember when I was a 305x4 the Comm-Electronics Maintenance badge came out, then General McPonytail threw all the AFSCs into a blender and as a 2E2 we came out wearing the Maintenance badge along with acft maintenance, etc.

I just saw a SMSgt at Ramstein wearing a tab on his ABUs. And this makes me feel like an idiot, because he was wearing the Weather Parachutists beret and I couldn't tell what the tab was from distance. It looked like the writing on it was broken up into two words and it was a bit longer than the Ranger tab.

Stalwart
02-13-2014, 09:57 PM
The USMC and Navy really don't allow too much other service flair either.

I earned my Ranger Tab via the school, but could not wear the tab while in the Marines nor now in the Navy, no big deal. I also have some other Army flair I have earned (Freefall & Pathfinder) but cannot wear now. The Navy does allow you to request to wear one foreign device that has a corresponding USN device (Surface Warfare, Pilot, Parachutist etc.) for formal occasions (with full medals), so I can wear my UK jump wings or my French jump wings ... but have only done it at OCS graduation and a retirement.

At this point I would look like a clown if I actually pinned all my devices to a shirt and wore it ... I mostly just wear the top three ribbons when I am not in NWUs anyway.

Juggs
02-13-2014, 10:59 PM

He may have been in AFSOC, but he was still a pilot.

Juggs
02-13-2014, 11:01 PM
From what I've been told by JTACs and even some WX personnel is that it is incredibly difficult to prove that you "deserve" the AFCAM, even in situations where the Army CAB has been awarded.

I had a buddy get an SSM just to get his AFCAM disapproved after submitting it correctly. He simply resubmitted with no writing. Just attached his SSM citation to it. It was approved after he submitted that way.

Juggs
02-13-2014, 11:03 PM
I just saw a SMSgt at Ramstein wearing a tab on his ABUs. And this makes me feel like an idiot, because he was wearing the Weather Parachutists beret and I couldn't tell what the tab was from distance. It looked like the writing on it was broken up into two words and it was a bit longer than the Ranger tab.

He was probably a SERE instructor. "Pewter green". Thats another face palm. SERE instructors blousing boots and wearing berets.

wxjumper
02-14-2014, 04:38 AM
He was probably a SERE instructor. "Pewter green". Thats another face palm. SERE instructors blousing boots and wearing berets.Juggs is right, from a distance those pewter green berets can look just like the grey beret. Probably a SERE guy. Plus I can't think of any SMSgt grey beret wearers that would be in that area, unless they were just transiting through.

giggawatt
02-14-2014, 07:10 AM
Juggs is right, from a distance those pewter green berets can look just like the grey beret. Probably a SERE guy. Plus I can't think of any SMSgt grey beret wearers that would be in that area, unless they were just transiting through.

There are SERE guys on staff at Ramstein.

jshiver15
02-14-2014, 08:33 AM
He was probably a SERE instructor. "Pewter green". Thats another face palm. SERE instructors blousing boots and wearing berets.

Boom. Nailed it. The beret did have a green tint to it now that I'm thinking about it. And just looked up the "Sere Instructor" tab. Yep.

Gonzo432
02-14-2014, 10:53 AM
It's Friday! What morale shirt ya'll wearin? Being retired it opens up a few more options for me. Hawaiian shirt? AF-related polo? Team Glock polo? College-related polo? Son's high school-related polo? VA Med Center-related polo? Staff polo from wife's work?

It's good to have a blue-ID!

BOSS302
02-14-2014, 11:52 AM
I'm wearing a standard ABU shirt. I did see a group of Brosephs in ABUs with white shirts underneath.

Gonzo432
02-14-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm wearing a standard ABU shirt. I did see a group of Brosephs in ABUs with white shirts underneath.

That's so old it's new. We were still in green fatigues when that ended.

BOSS302
02-14-2014, 12:18 PM
That's so old it's new. We were still in green fatigues when that ended.

I'm not aware of other squadron's colors. For all I know they could be idiots who think "Morale Shirt Fridays" are days in which they can choose their own color to wear. It could be a gay pride thing for that little quartet.

Juggs
02-14-2014, 05:35 PM
Boom. Nailed it. The beret did have a green tint to it now that I'm thinking about it. And just looked up the "Sere Instructor" tab. Yep.

Also, did the tab look like a 6 year old drew it?

Juggs
02-14-2014, 05:36 PM
There are SERE guys on staff at Ramstein.

Thats what he is saying. He is getting at there wouldnt be many SOWT guys in that area. SERE, where boy scouts get to show off their skills as adults.

jshiver15
02-15-2014, 08:40 AM
Thats what he is saying. He is getting at there wouldnt be many SOWT guys in that area. SERE, where boy scouts get to show off their skills as adults.

While I'm pretty sure the guy was a SERE instructor, it isn't too uncommon to see weather jumpers around the KMC. I don't know how many are in the squadron, but the 21st OWS is at Kapaun. We had a handful at Hickam when I was there and quite a few in my squadron now.

jshiver15
02-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Also, did the tab look like a 6 year old drew it?

I honestly couldn't tell. All I could really see if that it was long enough to go around a good portion of the top of his chevron, which is what confused me about it. I don't know if I've ever noticed the SERE tab before.

wxjumper
02-15-2014, 10:06 AM
While I'm pretty sure the guy was a SERE instructor, it isn't too uncommon to see weather jumpers around the KMC. I don't know how many are in the squadron, but the 21st OWS is at Kapaun. We had a handful at Hickam when I was there and quite a few in my squadron now.
Nobody at the 21st at Kapaun, or at NATO staff weather, AOC, and the weather flight at the 86th OSS on Ramstein wears the Grey Beret. You can only wear the beret if you are an active jumper in a J Coded billet. When I was at the 21st I had to wear the patrol cap just like the rest of the Legs, even though I just came from a jumping assignment. I don't think there is a J-Coded weather position anywhere in the KMC area. So the only ones you would see would be the one there TDY or transiting through.

jshiver15
02-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Nobody at the 21st or the weather flight in the 86th OSS on Ramstein wears the Grey Beret. You can only wear the beret if you are an active jumper in a J Coded billet. When I was at the 21st I had to wear the patrol cap just like the rest of the Legs, even though I just came from a jumping assignment. I don't think there is a J-Coded weather position anywhere in the KMC area.

Good point, I really didn't think about that. I think for a bit they were allowing the instructors to wear theirs at Keesler (maybe to serve as motivation for ISC students?). And I think the closest J-Coded weather slots are in Italy. Not sure if there are any in Germany.

wxjumper
02-15-2014, 10:23 AM
Good point, I really didn't think about that. I think for a bit they were allowing the instructors to wear theirs at Keesler (maybe to serve as motivation for ISC students?). And I think the closest J-Coded weather slots are in Italy. Not sure if there are any in Germany.

You are correct, in certain situations exceptions can be made for jumpers no longer in a J-Coded billet to wear the beret, especially at schools where it can be used as a recruiting device. The closet jump billets you will see near Ramstein is at Stuttgart at SOCAF.

fufu
02-25-2014, 03:39 AM
the entire morale t shirt thing is retarded, how in the hell does wearing a different color shirt on Fridays help morale? If i can wear a bright red shirt on friday (which is the color of our morale shirts) why can't I wear it the rest of the week, why not NO HAT Mondays, No shaving Tuesdays, No Boots Wed, no Pants thursday...whats the point...oh right the point is to distract us from how shity everything is, the weak minded sheep are now concentrating on Tshirt colors and best design contests

^This.

This gay-ness just hit my unit/base. What I find more amazing is how some people are happy about it. Thank god it isn't mandatory. I'd have to take leave every Friday until I was out of leave because of this non-sense. I'm sure that those who don't wear one will be interrogated at every opportunity to determine why their morale is so low.

imported_KnuckleDragger
02-25-2014, 07:01 PM
Morale shirts aaaaaand Mustache March! Life is gooooood in the AF right now.