PDA

View Full Version : One Flag for rememberence.

imported_WILDJOKER5
02-04-2014, 06:52 PM
So, I just read this story and was wondering since we have the POW flag, and the American flag, whats wrong with flying another flag to remember those who have died in battle? Is it because the creators of the flag lost a loved one or should only the American Flag be flown in rememberence?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/04/new-jersey-town-divided-over-state-approved-flag-meant-to-honor-fallen-us/?intcmp=latestnews

Absinthe Anecdote
02-04-2014, 09:06 PM
What's wrong with using the American Flag to remember our war dead?

I see creating another flag as going against the idea of unity. We serve under one flag, we fight under one flag, and we die under one flag.

Before you know it there will be special flags for every group you can imagine that has died in the service of our country.

imported_WILDJOKER5
02-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Agreed. Then why have the POW flag?

Absinthe Anecdote
02-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Agreed. Then why have the POW flag?

Because it was suggested, it gained support, and then grew in popularity until it was widely adopted.

I do seem to remember a segment of supporters, that claimed that there were still Americans being held captive from the Vietnam War as late as the 1990s.

I always doubted that claim, but we did have a lot of MIAs from that war that needed to be accounted for.

I see the POW/MIA flag as part of campaign to keep our leaders focused on accounting for every missing service member.

For that reason, I have no problem with it.