PDA

View Full Version : OPSTEMPO during drawdown

imported_KnuckleDragger
01-29-2014, 12:13 AM
How's that working out for you? lol

wxjumper
01-29-2014, 05:11 AM
Since nobody has actually been cut yet, it is much of the same.

imported_KnuckleDragger
01-29-2014, 05:29 AM
Since nobody has actually been cut yet, it is much of the same.

Yet, productivity is at an all time low because everyone is researching the downsizing programs.

wxjumper
01-29-2014, 07:37 AM
Yet, productivity is at an all time low because everyone is researching the downsizing programs.

True, I am sure AFPC had to add an extra server or two to handle all the increased traffic. You look around any office, about 50% of the computers will have at least one webpage open on MyPers.

imported_KnuckleDragger
01-29-2014, 07:57 AM
True, I am sure AFPC had to add an extra server or two to handle all the increased traffic. You look around any office, about 50% of the computers will have at least one webpage open on MyPers.

I think 50% is a very conservative estimate.

Using myself as an example...I am not vulnerable. Yet I have troops, supervisors, and coworkers that are. Damn right it's on our minds(and computer screens).

crwchf16
01-29-2014, 08:24 AM
I asked one of our commanders here that very question a while ago. He believes that once Afghanistan closes down that our ops tempo will drop. What he didn't tell me is how we'd get through the time between now and then. Personally, I think it's gonna get rough for those of us left behind

Drackore
01-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Yea and once Afghanistan shuts down - we'll find new ways to use CBTs, Power Point, Excel, pre-pre-pre-meetings, and other bullshit programs to "fill in the space".

BOSS302
01-29-2014, 12:13 PM
I asked one of our commanders here that very question a while ago. He believes that once Afghanistan closes down that our ops tempo will drop. What he didn't tell me is how we'd get through the time between now and then. Personally, I think it's gonna get rough for those of us left behind

Yea and once Afghanistan shuts down - we'll find new ways to use CBTs, Power Point, Excel, pre-pre-pre-meetings, and other bullshit programs to "fill in the space".

Once Afghanistan "closes down," the US will find another area of the world in which to spread freedom and democracy.

http://www.vitaver.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/capt_america.jpg

SomeRandomGuy
01-29-2014, 12:30 PM
In most shops in the AF I think people are being a little bit dishonest about the actual manning level they need. I think just about anyone who has had a MAJCOm level job knows that a lot of the things MAJCOm does in unnecessary. In my shop we are constantly being "tasked" with reports just because someone at MAJCOm was curious. For example, if I initiate a contracting action the money is set aside as an administrative commitment. According to the regualtion the contract should be awarded within 30 days or I should follow up on the document. With that being said it isn't uncommon for me to get a tasker asking about all outstanding commitments some of which are less than a week old. Of course these reports are often pencil whipped because there is no reason for me to check with contracting when a project just started a week ago. So why is someone at MAJCOM reqesting this info? Because they have nothing else to do and they want to micromanage. OPSTEMPO levels would be fine if people at the top would quit sending out taskers just for fun. Some of the things requested can take several hours or even a day to prepare and then someone at the top spends 15 minutes looking at the infomration and moves on to sending the next tasker out.

Gonzo432
01-29-2014, 01:22 PM
Once Afghanistan "closes down," the US will find another area of the world in which to spread freedom and democracy.

http://www.vitaver.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/capt_america.jpg

There are a lot of countries in Africa that make Vietnam look like Grenada on the quagmire scale. That'll be next.

BENDER56
01-29-2014, 02:35 PM

I'm thinking we need to learn how to end a war before we go starting any more of them.

Airborne
01-29-2014, 02:51 PM
There are a lot of countries in Africa that make Vietnam look like Grenada on the quagmire scale. That'll be next.

yup. pretty much this. and were already there. Not a bad place to be deployed now while it's relatively small and off the radar. Once big blue and big green get a hold of it, it will be back to wearing full uniform and battle rattle to take a piss at 2am.

imported_Shove_your_stupid_meeting
01-29-2014, 02:54 PM
In most shops in the AF I think people are being a little bit dishonest about the actual manning level they need. I think just about anyone who has had a MAJCOm level job knows that a lot of the things MAJCOm does in unnecessary. In my shop we are constantly being "tasked" with reports just because someone at MAJCOm was curious. For example, if I initiate a contracting action the money is set aside as an administrative commitment. According to the regualtion the contract should be awarded within 30 days or I should follow up on the document. With that being said it isn't uncommon for me to get a tasker asking about all outstanding commitments some of which are less than a week old. Of course these reports are often pencil whipped because there is no reason for me to check with contracting when a project just started a week ago. So why is someone at MAJCOM reqesting this info? Because they have nothing else to do and they want to micromanage. OPSTEMPO levels would be fine if people at the top would quit sending out taskers just for fun. Some of the things requested can take several hours or even a day to prepare and then someone at the top spends 15 minutes looking at the infomration and moves on to sending the next tasker out.

I agree that manning is jacked-up out there, although I think it goes both ways depending on circumstances.

As far as what MAJCOMs and what they want, well they need to do a better job of conveying their messages, but it's tricky. I can't get my desk analyst to tell me in writing that some congressional staffer wants to know how much money was spent on an annual conference, but if I walk over to that person's desk, I can get the truth behind the data call.

So I think there's usually a valid concern driving these requests, but I think that isn't always communicated very well, and sometimes that's by design. There's usually someone, somewhere, with some significant clout, that wants answers, or at least that's been my experiences.

SomeRandomGuy
01-29-2014, 03:20 PM
I agree that manning is jacked-up out there, although I think it goes both ways depending on circumstances.

As far as what MAJCOMs and what they want, well they need to do a better job of conveying their messages, but it's tricky. I can't get my desk analyst to tell me in writing that some congressional staffer wants to know how much money was spent on an annual conference, but if I walk over to that person's desk, I can get the truth behind the data call.

So I think there's usually a valid concern driving these requests, but I think that isn't always communicated very well, and sometimes that's by design. There's usually someone, somewhere, with some significant clout, that wants answers, or at least that's been my experiences.

I think you are correct but more thought needs to go into these taskings. Most shops have about the right noumber of personnel for day to day operations. If you have some special project you want done you need to understand that it may not be a priority. The biggest problem is these taskings come down and they expect them back in like 1 business day. For example someone might say, "I want to know how much your organization spent on conference travel last year" They will also ask that the information be provided back in categories such as what type of conference (federally funded or not). That information is not always easy to obtain. For fiscal year 14 we have expense codes that would tell us that information. That wasn't the case in some past years. So if MAJCOM is expecting a person to go through thousands of DTS vouchers and determine what they were for they need to allow enough time to get that done. I have also had a similar thing happen with office supplies. Someone actually asked to detremine the amount spent on toner for printers. Since those purchases are made with GPC cards it literally involved looking through hunders of GPC pruchases. That's great if you want the information but it just may not be my highest priority. Saying that you need the inofrmation in 1 days or a few hours is unfair yet it happens all the time.

sigecaps
01-29-2014, 05:05 PM
yup. pretty much this. and were already there. Not a bad place to be deployed now while it's relatively small and off the radar. Once big blue and big green get a hold of it, it will be back to wearing full uniform and battle rattle to take a piss at 2am.

At least for the rest of Obama's presidency, future conflicts will look more like our involvement in Libya, Syria, Sudan, and Yemen; and much less like Iraq or Afghanistan.

SomeRandomGuy
01-29-2014, 05:11 PM
At least for the rest of Obama's presidency, future conflicts will look more like our involvement in Libya, Syria, Sudan, and Yemen; and much less like Iraq or Afghanistan.

So we will provide just enough weapons to the underdog to allow the war to continue for about 2 years longer than it otherwise could have?

sigecaps
01-29-2014, 05:35 PM
So we will provide just enough weapons to the underdog to allow the war to continue for about 2 years longer than it otherwise could have?

As opposed to what, committing an OIF/OEF-scale of forces on the ground? Yes. Yes we do.

SomeRandomGuy
01-29-2014, 05:53 PM
As opposed to what, committing an OIF/OEF-scale of forces on the ground? Yes. Yes we do.

As opposed to staying out of it. From two of the examples you provided.

Libya-The war was driven by a social uprising within the country. The people wanted a regime change and they suceeeded. Why should we have joined in? Admittedly, all we provided was mostly just air support. It makes it look like we pick winners and losers in other countries battles.

Syria-Now because of the situation in Libya people in Syria think we should help them also. We have done a few things but not as much as we did in Syria. The difference here is we are stuck choosing sides. On one side is a regime we don't like and on the other is several of the terrorists we were fighting in Iraq. Because they are in Libya now we call them "freedom fighters" instead of before when they were "terrorists" in Iraq. If we finally do decide to step in and pick a winner what will that say for other countries?

If we provide any more support in Syria we almost have to help out in Egypt, Sudan, Yemen, etc.

sigecaps
01-29-2014, 08:05 PM
As opposed to staying out of it. From two of the examples you provided.

Libya-The war was driven by a social uprising within the country. The people wanted a regime change and they suceeeded. Why should we have joined in? Admittedly, all we provided was mostly just air support. It makes it look like we pick winners and losers in other countries battles.

Syria-Now because of the situation in Libya people in Syria think we should help them also. We have done a few things but not as much as we did in Syria. The difference here is we are stuck choosing sides. On one side is a regime we don't like and on the other is several of the terrorists we were fighting in Iraq. Because they are in Libya now we call them "freedom fighters" instead of before when they were "terrorists" in Iraq. If we finally do decide to step in and pick a winner what will that say for other countries?

If we provide any more support in Syria we almost have to help out in Egypt, Sudan, Yemen, etc.

It's almost as if the threat and operational environment in every country is unique and requires unique answers.

Chief_KO
01-29-2014, 09:42 PM
It's almost as if the threat and operational environment in every country is unique and requires unique answers.

So you're saying not all wars end with less than 100 hours of ground combat and a ticker tape parade.
Imagine that...

Gonzo432
01-29-2014, 11:57 PM
So you're saying not all wars end with less than 100 hours of ground combat and a ticker tape parade.
Imagine that...

If we used The Art of War as a guide it could be. Sun Tzu was more "kill 'em and get the hell out of Dodge" than "hang around until they forget what we did for them rebuilding the mess that was there before we got there."

TomTom093
01-30-2014, 02:38 AM
Honestly, I feel less busy at work now than I did during similar time frame the past few years.

jshiver15
01-30-2014, 04:06 AM

Well, to be fair, it's because everyone is constantly trying to keep up with the flood of e-mails directly us to MyPers.