PDA

View Full Version : What's your take on what EBT can be spent on??

garhkal
01-20-2014, 10:31 PM
So what do you all think EBT should be like? Since most of those using EBT are those on food stamps/welfare/wic and such, where it is SUPPOSED to be used for food and such, should those who get it be allowed to buy beer, pay ladies at the strip joint and such? Should we get OFF the whole EBT card system, and go back to where food stamps were just that, Cash equivelant vouchers for food only?

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2014/01/20/how-much-do-you-know-about-ebt-cash/?subscriber=1

efmbman
01-20-2014, 11:06 PM
I think the WIC system is on point. Each WIC coupon lists items and quantity. The coupons are exchanged for those items only. Too easy. A similar system for food stamps, or nothing at all. Under no circumstances should "food stamps" or any other tax-payer funded assistance be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco or other "wants". They are for "needs".

Juggs
01-21-2014, 12:19 AM
WiC is good and the EBT should be following suit.

Greg
01-21-2014, 03:32 AM
In the state of Ohio, only food can be purchased with an EBT card. No alcohol, no tobacco, no paper products (paper towels, toilet tissue, etc.,) no cleaning gear. Food, and food only. If someone is caught letting another use the card, and the second party is not listed on the paperwork, the card holder's privileges are revoked.

garhkal
01-21-2014, 06:12 AM
I think the WIC system is on point. Each WIC coupon lists items and quantity. The coupons are exchanged for those items only. Too easy. A similar system for food stamps, or nothing at all. Under no circumstances should "food stamps" or any other tax-payer funded assistance be used to purchase alcohol, tobacco or other "wants". They are for "needs".

One thing i have always wondered about WIC is are Guys who have newborns (say mom dies in child birth) eligible for it, or is it only for women?

In the state of Ohio, only food can be purchased with an EBT card. No alcohol, no tobacco, no paper products (paper towels, toilet tissue, etc.,) no cleaning gear. Food, and food only. If someone is caught letting another use the card, and the second party is not listed on the paperwork, the card holder's privileges are revoked.

I have heard of that revoking of "use of it" before, but how often is it enforced?

imnohero
01-21-2014, 06:18 AM
I think what you can use the EBT for varies from state to state, as does what the EBT accounts serve. For instance, in my state, all state benefits are distro'd through EBT, whether it's a "cash" benefit or something else (like SNAP) with a specific intent. I can't remember exactly, but there was a big stink about this a couple years ago locally. Some idiot was using his EBT card to get cash from an ATM in a strip club. Anyway, it was a big fuss and an investigation followed. Turns out it was a mole hill/mountain situation...something like 99% of the uses of EBT were for exactly what was intended.

Is there some misuse and fraud? Yes. But any system will have some. EBT as a method of distributing benefits has it's flaws, but it has many more positives. At least in my opinion.

efmbman
01-21-2014, 01:27 PM
One thing i have always wondered about WIC is are Guys who have newborns (say mom dies in child birth) eligible for it, or is it only for women?

Depending on the state, the child should still get vouchers. Nothing would be in Dad's name. The mother also gets vouchers if breast feeding (again - depnding on the state). Should the mom not breast feed, or the mom is not present, the vouchers for the child are modified to account for this. I can only speak for the states in which I witnessed the process: Texas & Maine. Makes sense, however, that this would be the case across the board.

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-21-2014, 05:10 PM
So what do you all think EBT should be like? Since most of those using EBT are those on food stamps/welfare/wic and such, where it is SUPPOSED to be used for food and such, should those who get it be allowed to buy beer, pay ladies at the strip joint and such? Should we get OFF the whole EBT card system, and go back to where food stamps were just that, Cash equivelant vouchers for food only?

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2014/01/20/how-much-do-you-know-about-ebt-cash/?subscriber=1

Glad it can be used for pot now in CO. Since, you know, baked brownies is actually foor, and EBT is for food type items.

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-21-2014, 05:15 PM

I think WIC is sexist. Why cant single fathers with kids under 5 recieve WIC?

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-21-2014, 05:19 PM
I think what you can use the EBT for varies from state to state, as does what the EBT accounts serve. For instance, in my state, all state benefits are distro'd through EBT, whether it's a "cash" benefit or something else (like SNAP) with a specific intent. I can't remember exactly, but there was a big stink about this a couple years ago locally. Some idiot was using his EBT card to get cash from an ATM in a strip club. Anyway, it was a big fuss and an investigation followed. Turns out it was a mole hill/mountain situation...something like 99% of the uses of EBT were for exactly what was intended.

Is there some misuse and fraud? Yes. But any system will have some. EBT as a method of distributing benefits has it's flaws, but it has many more positives. At least in my opinion.

True, but if the private charity is misused, say a church food pantry, there is no more help for people, or that person who misused it. But the government can keep plugging along as people who abuse the system keep abusing the system.

CYBERFX1024
01-21-2014, 05:36 PM
Here in California almost every single place that sells fast food has a sign that states they accept EBT. Which to me is bs because food stamps are supposed to use it to get food from the grocery store, not a big mac with cheese.

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 05:54 PM

No problem with that. I always thought that was the general rule everywhere.

Yes and no. Pregnant women can get it, whether or not they have children that already qualify. Single fathers only get it after the child is born. Single mothers get a higher benefit.

Why?

WIC is meant to benefit the child at all stages - for example, during gestation. That's why pregnant mothers get it. Also, single mothers get higher benefits to support breastfeeding. Two things that don't apply to single fathers.

But, of course:

^^^The angry white heterosexual male conservative Christian could probably argue against that point for days.

I have heard of that revoking of "use of it" before, but how often is it enforced?

I'm not sure what price index they're using to determine how much they get. What prompts many people to sell their food stamps, or accept money in exchange for use of the card is that many recipients get more in food stamps than what they actually use. Since they can't use the remaining credit to purchase non-food items, rather than let it go to waste, they'll either let someone use it, or recover some of that money by cutting a deal with someone (i.e., "I have $100 left on the card. You can have it for $40. Deal?")

Here in California almost every single place that sells fast food has a sign that states they accept EBT. Which to me is bs because food stamps are supposed to use it to get food from the grocery store, not a big mac with cheese.

I really don't think that we need to be dictating what others eat. If someone literally wants to buy a shit sandwich with their EBT card, of what consequence is it to anyone else?

garhkal
01-21-2014, 06:11 PM
True, but if the private charity is misused, say a church food pantry, there is no more help for people, or that person who misused it. But the government can keep plugging along as people who abuse the system keep abusing the system.

True.. Though i honestly can't recall hearing a single private charity cutting someone off.

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 06:25 PM
True.. Though i honestly can't recall hearing a single private charity cutting someone off.

That's usually because private charities do a one-time payout, or give for a set amount of time. Or there are stipulations added, that can make it difficult for people to qualify for assistance.

For example, Catholic Charities provides assistances in helping people pay their electric, gas, and/or water bill. The stipulation is that you can't be 30 days or more past due. You know who's not going to qualify? The person that tried to make an effort on their own through payment arrangements, etc, before resorting to Catholic Charities - but then soon find out about that stipulation after the 30-day mark. On top of that, if I'm not mistaken, you can't go back to Catholic Charities for at least three years since the last time you've received assistance from them.

THIS is precisely why leaving it up to private charities isn't feasible.

efmbman
01-21-2014, 07:08 PM

Why not indeed? Where is this happening? Can you provide some details?

USN - Retired
01-21-2014, 07:39 PM
^^^The angry white heterosexual male conservative Christian could probably argue against that point for days.

So are you saying that a happy black homosexual male liberal atheist would not believe that WIC is sexist or would not argue the point?

Does/did Angel Adams receive WIC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBqjZ0KZCa0

USN - Retired
01-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Does/did Octomom receive WIC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNcmLaj_Hn0

USN - Retired
01-21-2014, 07:44 PM
If someone literally wants to buy a shit sandwich with their EBT card, of what consequence is it to anyone else?

Because the tax payers are paying for that shit sandwich.

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Just playing Rusty, I know why women get it after the birth of the kid.

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 07:51 PM
Because the tax payers are paying for that shit sandwich.

If they bought a bag of apples instead, tax payers would be paying for that too. What difference does it make to you?

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-21-2014, 07:52 PM
Why not indeed? Where is this happening? Can you provide some details?

No, you misunderstood me. Sorry, my fault. Each person in a family that gets WIC gets their own "checks" where they are allotted certain things. The mother and any kid under the age of 5. The fathers dont get a check, or their own allotment for food.

USN - Retired
01-21-2014, 07:56 PM
If they bought a bag of apples instead, tax payers would be paying for that too. What difference does it make to you?

I don't want to support freeloaders, especially when they are just wasting government money. I suspect that you, an advocate for the freeloaders in our society, don't/can't understand.

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-21-2014, 07:58 PM

A more healthy and probably more productive member to society? But hey, pot can be bought with EBT, why not shit sandwiches right? Lets just let people buy big screen TVs and cars off EBT too. The "income inequality" is BS. The poor never had it so good while the middle class are better of in America than everywhere else in the world. The ones that "suffer" are the people that are right above the poverty line, and even they (typical E-5 military family of 4) live like royalty compared to the rest of the world.

http://nonprofitquarterly.org/policysocial-context/23544-colorado-oks-use-of-public-assistance-ebt-cards-in-pot-shop-atms.html

efmbman
01-21-2014, 07:59 PM
No, you misunderstood me. Sorry, my fault. Each person in a family that gets WIC gets their own "checks" where they are allotted certain things. The mother and any kid under the age of 5. The fathers dont get a check, or their own allotment for food.

See post #7. Mothers that are breastfeeding will usually get the voucher because of the nutritional requirements associated with producing breast milk. In some states, the vouchers are given through 6 months post-partum regardless of breastfeeding. Dad's, since they cannot produce breast milk, do not get vouchers.

Instead of speculating aimlessly, just look it up. Google: "How does WIC work in <insert your state here>"

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 08:02 PM
I don't want to support freeloaders, especially when they are just wasting government money. I suspect that you, an advocate for the freeloaders in our society, don't/can't understand.

No, what I can't understand is your desire to strip away the right of people on public assistance to choose what to eat. Do you think people on public assistance should live under some strict dictatorship, where they're not allowed to choose their own meals? Should they only be allowed to eat what USN - Retired says they're allowed to eat, because USN - Retired says so?

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-21-2014, 08:03 PM
See post #7. Mothers that are breastfeeding will usually get the voucher because of the nutritional requirements associated with producing breast milk. In some states, the vouchers are given through 6 months post-partum regardless of breastfeeding. Dad's, since they cannot produce breast milk, do not get vouchers.

Instead of speculating aimlessly, just look it up. Google: "How does WIC work in <insert your state here>"

See my post #20

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-21-2014, 08:05 PM
No, what I can't understand is your desire to strip away the right of people on public assistance to choose what to eat. Do you think people on public assistance should live under some strict dictatorship, where they're not allowed to choose their own meals? Should they only be allowed to eat what USN - Retired says they're allowed to eat, because USN - Retired says so?
Its ok that I am FORCED to have my money taken from me and cant spend it where I want, but heaven forbid the person recieving MY MONEY gets limited on where they can spend it. "That is a dictatorship". lol, your mind is completely bass akwards man.

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 08:12 PM
Its ok that I am FORCED to have my money taken from me and cant spend it where I want,

That's the price you pay for living in a civilized society. If that's not your thing, Somalia would be perfect for you.

but heaven forbid the person recieving MY MONEY gets limited on where they can spend it. "That is a dictatorship". lol, your mind is completely bass akwards man.

They're already limited to purchasing food with it. But people have the right to choose what foods to eat. If that wasn't the case, the government would be running it's own farms, food production plants, storage, transportation facilities, and distribution centers where recipients go to pick up their food. All of the cost of materials, administration, and employees involved in that... hey, if that's the price you want to pay just so someone can't buy a Big Mac; your priorities in life are screwed up.

USN - Retired
01-21-2014, 08:13 PM

They should go get a job and support themselves and stop expecting a hand out from the government. EVERY adult on public assistance is either (a) a lazy bum who is just looking for a free ride through life or (b) an idiot who could not manage and/or plan his or her finances. EVERY child on public assistance has a parent who is either (a) a lazy bum who is just looking for a free ride through life or (b) an idiot who could not manage his or her finances. The only exception is orphans.

efmbman
01-21-2014, 08:14 PM
Deleted.... not even worth it.

USN - Retired
01-21-2014, 08:18 PM
That's the price you pay for living in a civilized society. .

So you idea of a "civilized" society is a society that takes money from people who earn it and then gives that money to freeloaders and idiots?

USN - Retired
01-21-2014, 08:21 PM
But people have the right to choose what foods to eat. .

Do they have the "responsibility" to earn the money to pay for that food?

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 08:23 PM
They should go get a job and support themselves and stop expecting a hand out from the government. EVERY adult on public assistance is either (a) a lazy bum who is just looking for a free ride through life or (b) an idiot who could not manage and/or plan his or her finances. EVERY child on public assistance has a parent who is either (a) a lazy bum who is just looking for a free ride through life or (b) an idiot who could not manage his or her finances. The only exception is orphans.

Dude... and you keep denying that you hate poor people, yet it shows in almost every post you make here. "EVERY" adult on public assistance is a lazy bum or a financially responsible idiot?

Just by reading this very post - among others - I can point out very specific disorders listed in the DSM-IV-TR that likely apply to you. You need your head examined. Seek help.

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 08:24 PM
So you idea of a "civilized" society is a society that takes money from people who earn it and then gives that money to freeloaders and idiots?

My idea of a civilized society is one where basic human rights are respected, and human needs are met. The second this doesn't happen - in order to placate people like you - the society is no longer civilized.

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Do they have the "responsibility" to earn the money to pay for that food?

Ensuring that everyone has their needs met IS the responsibility.

USN - Retired
01-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Dude... and you keep denying that you hate poor people, yet it shows in almost every post you make here.

Or perhaps you hate people who work for a living.

Just by reading this very post - among others - I can point out very specific disorders listed in the DSM-IV-TR that likely apply to you. You need your head examined. Seek help.

That type of shaming language is so very cliche. If you are going to use shaming language, then you should at least try to be a little more original.

or a financially responsible idiot?.

OBTW, what is a "financially responsible idiot"? I.e., what do you mean by that?

USN - Retired
01-21-2014, 08:39 PM
My idea of a civilized society is one where basic human rights are respected, and human needs are met. The second this doesn't happen - in order to placate people like you - the society is no longer civilized.

Ensuring that everyone has their needs met IS the responsibility.

I'm sure that Angel Adams, Octomom and all the other freeloaders in our country agree with you completely.

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Or perhaps you hate people who work for a living.

I never said anything about people who work for a living. I work for a living. Your effort at deflecting attention from your hate: fail.

That type of shaming language is so very cliche. If you are going to use shaming language, then you should at least try to be a little more original.

In other words, you're critiquing how I said something because you know you can't dispute it. You're a borderline misanthrope, you're anti-social, you lack empathy... you're almost not even human.

OBTW, what is a "financially responsible idiot"?

You.

Rusty Jones
01-21-2014, 08:45 PM
I'm sure that Angel Adams, Octomom and all the other freeloaders in our country agree with you completely.

And they should.

Cerberus
01-21-2014, 08:48 PM
Since this thread has derailed into name calling and stereotyping, it is closed.