PDA

View Full Version : VA Question

RS6405
01-16-2014, 02:55 PM
I need some help guys. The does the VA really not recognize a Court order ruling a 90 year old as being incompetent?

Greg
01-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Bwaaa-ha-ha-ha, the VA does what the VA wants to do. Try VAWatchdog.org, and skim through the message board. I have a couple of other sites, but I'm on campus right now, and won't have access to my laptop, with the appropriate bookmarks, till late this evening. Good luck.

imnohero
01-16-2014, 03:40 PM
RS, I expect they do recognize it, but like all other things it has to go through the "normal bureaucratic process" in order to be validated. I am supposing that the court order is being utilized as documentation in support of a claim for benefits, assistance, or placement (e.g. in a VA long term care facility).

RS6405
01-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Not for any true benefit..... Just a $120 "benefit" check of some kind. Yet they want the vet and guardian to met 2+ hours away, which is confusing in of itself instead of sending it directly to him, met at a closer VA location, or recognizing the Court order.

Here is the problem: for the vet to go, then he will need separate transport (maybe an ambulance) and defiantly a sitter/orderly; AKA it will cost him/ his estate more than the check. Common sense would say forgo the $120 no big deal; however, the guardian/ conservator was told that if she didn't make arrangements to accept the check then someone else would be appointed to receive the funds for the vet (how I do not know as it makes no sense if they cannot bring the Vet to receive the $120.) IF the person elected to accept the $120 does not put it in his estate then the Guardian/ conservator could be held as not performing her obligated duties.

Absolutely asinine situation!!!!!!

imnohero
01-16-2014, 05:09 PM
OK, the brass tacks are?

The VA has a check that the veteran must pick up in person. To pick it up the veteran must travel 2+ hours (which is a difficult, expensive, proposition because of his/her medical condition/mental state) The VA won't accept the court order as sufficient justification for the veteran not to pick it up themselves?

Chief_KO
01-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Recommend the vet's family work with the county veteran service officer (VSO), many times they can wade through the BS.

RS6405
01-17-2014, 02:02 AM
Chief_KO... That exactly what I suggested to the client. Actually I figured he was already vetted (not to make a pun) and have him take the 1 time payment and put it towards his nursing home bill. I have not heard back from her yet but no news is good news.

Stalwart
01-17-2014, 02:20 AM
My first suggestion would be the VSO's.

Also, nearly all members of Congress have a staffer in their state offices that deals with VA benefits and liaises with the VA for their constituents. This almost always takes the vet or their designated representative to sign a privacy act release before the office can contact the VA.

DocBones
01-20-2014, 01:08 AM
If anyone has Power of Attorney over the gents incoming checks, I believe that they should be able to go to the VA on their own to pick up that check.