PDA

View Full Version : This irritates me

Shaken1976
01-16-2014, 02:35 PM
My neighbors daughter made it through three weeks of Army Basic training before she got in trouble for not following the rules and whatever. She is always posting on FB that she is a Vet. She talks about her memories while she served. She talks about how people who never served don't get it.

Three weeks does not a vet make.

imported_DannyJ
01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
My neighbors daughter made it through three weeks of Army Basic training before she got in trouble for not following the rules and whatever. She is always posting on FB that she is a Vet. She talks about her memories while she served. She talks about how people who never served don't get it.

Actually 3 weeks makes her a failure at life. Who can't pass Army Basic?

denmom
01-16-2014, 03:21 PM
I'd call her out on her page. 3 weeks makes her nothing in the eyes of the military/government/etc.

wxjumper
01-16-2014, 03:30 PM
I think the more important question here: You're Facebook friends with your neighbor's daughter???? :confused2:

Shaken1976
01-16-2014, 03:41 PM
I think the more important question here: You're Facebook friends with your neighbor's daughter???? :confused2:

Before she joined she babysat for me. Also...she is 24. And I am a female so it isn't creepy stalkerish.

Shaken1976
01-16-2014, 03:41 PM
I'd call her out on her page. 3 weeks makes her nothing in the eyes of the military/government/etc.

There were about 10 people who called her out before I ever saw the comment. It was pretty epic.

DWWSWWD
01-16-2014, 03:45 PM
My first roommate, partner in crime and friend to this day just changed his profile pic to his basic training photo and does some vet type stuff. He was kicked out 24 years ago as an A1C for being overweight. I don't know.

Giant Voice
01-16-2014, 06:21 PM
There were about 10 people who called her out before I ever saw the comment. It was pretty epic.

And you're not sharing those post here.:sorrow:

Sergeant eNYgma
01-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Well shit at least she did SOMETHING...I'll tell you what I mean.

Long ago I'd read posts from the Army page I think it's called "Awesome shit my Drill Sergeant Said"...something like that. Well anyway forgot the topic but Army/AF got into a pissing contest on the page which was all good until some started disparaging AF dead from our wars. Anyway one guy starts posting about the Chair Force/Air Farce/Whatever and come to find out he's still in the DEP. Fool hadn't even SHIPPED to Army basic. I called him and others out before clicking "Unlike" and moving on.

So that fool did basic but I'd consider his crime way worse........

MrMiracle
01-16-2014, 06:34 PM
I was talking with a Flt Sgt from the UK two years ago about this sort of thing. There really is so much hero/victim worship when it comes to the military in the US. A multitude of holidays revolve around veterans, even ones that don't relate directly to being a veteran (like the 4th of July). It's lead to a lot of phonies, and dropouts, and short-timers who like to claim they saw and did a lot more than they can really take credit for. The public even encourages it: special deals, discounts, appreciation days, and so forth.

They don't do that sort of thing in the UK and their military doesn't really mind. It's just their job, the career they've chosen. And that's it.

Chief_KO
01-16-2014, 07:19 PM
Technically everyone who receives a DD-214 is a veteran...the diffference comes down to condition of service (discharge type).

Those that "fib" about their service are always SEALS, Rangers, SF, Pilot, etc., never Power Pro, Finance, Comm, Services, Munitions, or Acft Mx.

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-16-2014, 08:09 PM
I was told that you needed to be in the service 180 days before you are considered a "vet". But that was my TI.

BENDER56
01-16-2014, 08:11 PM
Technically everyone who receives a DD-214 is a veteran...the diffference comes down to condition of service (discharge type).

According to the attached document, since 8 Sep 1980 there has been a minimum requirement of time served for a member to be considered a veteran. From the document, "The general requirement is either 24 months of continuous active duty or the “full period” for which the servicemember was called or ordered to active duty."

There are exceptions to this rule, mostly regarding service-connected injury or illness. I doubt if the neighbor's daughter would qualify if she was separated because she, ".. got in trouble for not following the rules and whatever."

Also, she probably received an "entry-level" discharge characterization from her CO. This is essentially a discharge without a characterization. It's neither honorable, nor general, nor under-other-than-honorable-conditions. It's an option COs can use for recruits who have served less than 180 days.

She's no vet and needs to knock it off and move on.

Here's the link: https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42324.pdf

Chief_KO
01-16-2014, 08:16 PM
The DD-214 is your "ticket to veteran status"...no 214 not a vet. For those on AD/ANG/Reserves (unless previously receiving a 214), sorry but you are not technically a veteran.

technomage1
01-16-2014, 10:24 PM
There isn't a standard definition of veteran status - it depends on what you're applying for. The VFW has different criteria than the GI Bill or medical benefits, for example.

But none if these programs that I know of qualify someone who washed out of basic training as a vet. That's not knocking anyone - people can wash out due to no fault of their own (previously undiagnosed health issues or accidents, for example). But they're still not veterans.

Measure Man
01-16-2014, 10:57 PM
(previously undisguised health issues or accidents, for example).

What does that mean?

technomage1
01-17-2014, 12:34 AM
What does that mean?

In this case it means the auto correct spelling on the ipad stinks.

raustin0017
01-17-2014, 08:04 PM

Someone needs to point out she was a 'Trainee'. Those who join the U.S. Army are considered Trainees until graduation day...then they become Soldiers. No one in their right mind would consider her a Veteran.

MisterBen
01-17-2014, 09:30 PM
A three-week basic training veteran!!??? ;) You have Guardsmen and Reservists that never served on title 10 active duty fighting for legislation so they could be called Veterans.

Here is the link

http://www.ngaus.org/newsroom/news/veterans-status-bill-passes-house

Veteran's Status Bill Passes House
NGAUS Washington Report
(Oct. 29, 2013) Legislation that would grant veteran's status to all National Guard and Reserve retirees has passed its first major hurdle.
The House on Oct. 28 passed the Honor America's Guard-Reserve Retirees Act, which gives all those with 20 years of service in the Guard and Reserve the honor of being called a veteran.
Under current law, only Guardsmen and Reservists who have served on federal active-duty for other than training, regardless of their total years in uniform, may call themselves a veteran
- See more at: http://www.ngaus.org/newsroom/news/veterans-status-bill-passes-house#sthash.PxgKsEni.dpuf

VA definition of veteran.

https://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42324.pdf

That "Vet" did not even earn the title of Soldier.

MisterBen - OIF V/OEF X & XIII VET

MisterBen
01-17-2014, 09:43 PM
The DD-214 is your "ticket to veteran status"...no 214 not a vet. For those on AD/ANG/Reserves (unless previously receiving a 214), sorry but you are not technically a veteran.

I received a DD214 when I left Army basic training but left home for the Reserves. So in that case, the DD214 is not relevant for veteran status. You have had to serve on active duty and received a General or Honorable discharge to qualify.

jshiver15
01-18-2014, 04:32 PM
I've actually talked about my cousin on here before . . he made it about 6 weeks into Army basic training and then faked a back injury. He had "US Army" listed as his employer for about a year and went on about those who sign the dotted line in the name of freedom. He was called out on it several times, but didn't change it until a few months ago. Dude is a complete loser.

CORNELIUSSEON
02-19-2014, 02:10 PM

There is a solution that gets raised from time to time that can stop these phonies in their tracks. It was tried after World War Two, but fell by the wayside because of the quick arrival of the "Cold War". The Army and Navy issued persons leaving the service at the end of World War Two with a pin that came to be nicknamed "The Ruptured Duck". It's real name went through at least one change: "Honorable Service Lapel Button and Honorable Discharge Emblem". You can find it over on the Institute of Heraldry website:

http://Honorable Service Lapel Button and Honorable Discharge Emblem.

It needs to be re-instituted in the form of an ID Card that has a format similar to the regular military ID Card that would have the important DD-214 data on it, such as official service start and end dates, Rank at the end of service, and the Discharge Status (Honorable/General/etc.). I think that would solve the problem.