PDA

View Full Version : Facebook Question

swp
01-14-2014, 07:21 PM
One of my Airmen asked a question, "why does the Wg CC push Facebook so hard, does he have stock in it or something?" He meant it as a joke, but made me think, yes he does push Facebook hard, every Sq is required to have a FB page, and each takes turns posting topics every week. I wonder if this is allowed, knowing that Facebook is a public company and their stock is available. A quick look around AF official pages will show that pretty much everyone in the service has a FB page and twitter account. Interesting to hear if every Wg CC is pushing this as hard as ours, maybe our MAJCOM CC has stock and is laughing all the way to the bank :-/

J.D.C.
01-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Not here...some units do..some don't. No pressure to have one that I am aware of.

BOSS302
01-14-2014, 08:00 PM
One of my Airmen asked a question, "why does the Wg CC push Facebook so hard, does he have stock in it or something?" He meant it as a joke, but made me think, yes he does push Facebook hard, every Sq is required to have a FB page, and each takes turns posting topics every week. I wonder if this is allowed, knowing that Facebook is a public company and their stock is available. A quick look around AF official pages will show that pretty much everyone in the service has a FB page and twitter account. Interesting to hear if every Wg CC is pushing this as hard as ours, maybe our MAJCOM CC has stock and is laughing all the way to the bank :-/

Most Wing/CCs and MAJCOM/CCs are old enough to think that the internets are connected by tubes.

Tell your airman to stop worrying about Facebook and Wg/CC's, and to get back to work.

sandsjames
01-14-2014, 10:48 PM
I want that bullet statement: Designed/maintained squadron social network site; improved unit cohesion/morale 150%--promote immediately!

ihatenonners
01-14-2014, 10:56 PM
there are squadrons that have full blown private facebook groups now, with the Top 3 being admins.

sandsjames
01-15-2014, 01:37 AM
there are squadrons that have full blown private facebook groups now, with the Top 3 being admins.

Top 3 all probably competing for the "lead" admin position to ensure Senior Rater Endorsement.

Chief_KO
01-15-2014, 02:13 AM
Hmmm...Airmen bitch about getting emails....family members bitch to their sponsor about not knowing about activities, BX/Commissary hours, etc.
Airmen bitch about having to go to Commanders Calls, staff meetings, shop meetings, etc.
FaceBook: A free capability to relay information of interest to Airmen & their families...Airmen bitch about Facebook
Sometimes its just not worth it...

Airborne
01-15-2014, 04:30 AM
Hmmm...Airmen bitch about getting emails....family members bitch to their sponsor about not knowing about activities, BX/Commissary hours, etc.
Airmen bitch about having to go to Commanders Calls, staff meetings, shop meetings, etc.
FaceBook: A free capability to relay information of interest to Airmen & their families...Airmen bitch about Facebook
Sometimes its just not worth it...

Is he really bitching about it? Just a youngster wondering why a 42 year old LTC is talking about facebook more than his 16 yr old sister. Two years ago all of the old heads thought allowing facebook and youtube would be the death of the service.

loggie94
01-15-2014, 05:16 AM
Wait, a good-idea fairy getting taken to extreme?? That never happens!

Yes, it is funny to see the initial resistance to social media fade and now watch it being pushed (forced?) upon us by some.

Drackore
01-15-2014, 09:02 AM
The "bad" of having FB pages:

Dick Giddens (aka Willspowers) went to a squadron FB page trying to get personal information on me because I made him mad on here. He saw a video on my Youtube and got my first name as well as my wife's, so he started researching to get my last name. Luckily one of my friends saw it and reminded everyone about OPSEC and had his post deleted.

Stalkers and internet private detective wannabes love this FB shit.

"Hey I'm a good friend of X and Y but I lost their last name. We served together and I want to get in touch with them again. Can someone help me out?" - Two days later after getting an answer: identity stolen, wife raped, kids run over by a car crossing the street, house burned down.

And that's domestic. Imagine if a terrorist had you in their crosshairs.

I freaking HATE FB. And I see so many people use it and post EVERYTHING about themselves. In uniform, where they are stationed, where/when they are deploying.

Yes, on the flip side I do see the benefit of wing CCs being able to communicate with folks. So many people are on it that it's cool enough that the Wing CC takes the time to address people and recognize accomplishments. Problem though, again - anyone can see it.

Use government email...that's what it is there for.

J.D.C.
01-15-2014, 11:10 AM
the latest info is that teens done use Facebook anymore. SnapChat, Instagram, Twitter, etc are the new "thing."

Chief_KO
01-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Teens got to stay one step ahead of their parents...once Mom & Dad (and sometimes Grandparents) got on the interwebs, the kiddos had to move to something else.

Agree their are shortfalls, and huge privacy issues, when people share too much info.
Also agree that official email should be the preferred, but every thread on this site eventually comes around to bashing mass emails, bake sale emails, re-forwarded emails, etc.
No one wants to miss something, but no one wants to hear about things that don't interest them or hear about it several times...

Back in the ol days each morning (or shift change) started with a 15 minute crew brief/shop meeting followed by passing around the read/sign clipboard. Probably took 30 minutes total; is this any different than opening email each morning and reading/deleting your inbox?

OtisRNeedleman
01-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Am not on FB at all. Never have been, doubt I ever will be. Have a half-baked thing on LinkedIn.

BOSS302
01-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I still use Xanga.

Smeghead
01-15-2014, 05:55 PM
OP, ask the question of your Public Affairs Office. Per the Air Force Public Affairs Agency only Wing level and above level units are authorized to have official Facebook pages. Below Wing level pages are highly discouraged as it dilutes the information beinf diseminated. Instead of getting info from one source--the wing page--you now have as many sources as you have squadrons and just as many chances for the info to be wrong.

If you want to PM me the location I can ask AFPAA to take a look. If you care that much.

Chief_KO
01-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Easy answer to the location...virtually every base.

BENDER56
01-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Back in the ol days each morning (or shift change) started with a 15 minute crew brief/shop meeting followed by passing around the read/sign clipboard. Probably took 30 minutes total; is this any different than opening email each morning and reading/deleting your inbox?

I know, right? At my first assignment, in addition to each section's "official" comm book that had to be read and signed every shift, our squadron had a bulletin board dedicated to official notifications. Every member assigned to the squadron had an obligation to go read that bulletin board before and after every shift.

I have to shake my head and laugh when I read comments complaining about what an arduous imposition email is.

Chief_KO
01-15-2014, 07:11 PM
I know, right? At my first assignment, in addition to each section's "official" comm book that had to be read and signed every shift, our squadron had a bulletin board dedicated to official notifications. Every member assigned to the squadron had an obligation to go read that bulletin board before and after every shift.

I have to shake my head and laugh when I read comments complaining about what an arduous imposition email is.

Yeah, poor Amn Snuffy has to wade through 5-10 emails every day!!!

snowman
01-16-2014, 04:50 AM
the obvious answer is, because once you like their page, or join their group, they now have access to your page and use that information to spy and burn you

jshiver15
01-16-2014, 08:20 AM
I want that bullet statement: Designed/maintained squadron social network site; improved unit cohesion/morale 150%--promote immediately!

I shit you not, this was a bullet my friend got at my last assignment.

ihatenonners
01-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Top 3 all probably competing for the "lead" admin position to ensure Senior Rater Endorsement.

that sounds pathetic enough to be true

diabolic
01-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Most CC's don't even use their Facebook page they tell everyone to look at. It's controlled by Public Affairs who pushes information through it. Usually that's the case. It's just another way to channel information down to Airmen and others. It can be effective, but I don't know too many people who run to the CC's Facebook page everyday to see what's being posted. Some CC's use it as a way to recognize individuals.

Chief_KO
01-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Back in 1997 (Osan AB) email was still in its infancy, not everyone had email or easy access to computers. At the unit I was at previously we had one PC for the shop (12 people) that was used for Fed Log, EPRs, etc. I PCA'd to the group staff where we all had a PC on our desk and this was the first time I got my own email address.
AFPC CC (2-star) visited Osan and her parting words were: (paraphrased) If anyone hits a dead end feel free to email me. One of my office mates (fellow TSgt), had just received his orders to Pope...which was not on his EQUAL list and was no where near any of his choices he had listed. MPF was of no help, so he emailed the General.
He got a personal reply from the General, AFPC re-looked at his dream sheet, and he got his second choice. Our Major was a little peeved that he emailed the General, but I stood up for him and reminded the Major that she had opened the door.
Officers (by and large) have no understanding of the enlisted assignment system...we are not "groomed or recommended" for our next assignments. We fill vacancies.

FaceBook can be a good tool for a two-way dialogue on some issues. Yes, either PA of the commander's exec (which of course is not an authorized billet) actually is the one typing away; but it is the CC's viewpoint.
Also, the Commander's Hotline is not usually responded to by the Commander. The issue is forwarded to the appropriate agency (usually FSS), who writes up the response which is then edited by the CC and posted.

diabolic
01-19-2014, 02:27 PM
Officers (by and large) have no understanding of the enlisted assignment system...we are not "groomed or recommended" for our next assignments. We fill vacancies.

That's very true. This was a big thing about 2 years ago if memory serves me correctly. All this talk about "vectoring" people to fill the right billets and grooming them for future assignments. It's virtually impossible to do with the enlisted side. I've been to hundreds of retirement and promotion ceremonies and this phrase always comes up.. "MSgt So-And-So was recognized for doing such a great job at Base X that he/she was brought up to Base Y..." In other words, just filling an empty billet because he/she fell in to the assignment system at the right time and no one else did.

sandsjames
01-19-2014, 04:55 PM
That's very true. This was a big thing about 2 years ago if memory serves me correctly. All this talk about "vectoring" people to fill the right billets and grooming them for future assignments. It's virtually impossible to do with the enlisted side. I've been to hundreds of retirement and promotion ceremonies and this phrase always comes up.. "MSgt So-And-So was recognized for doing such a great job at Base X that he/she was brought up to Base Y..." In other words, just filling an empty billet because he/she fell in to the assignment system at the right time and no one else did.

Always love hearing that. Makes me laugh.

Juggs
01-20-2014, 01:01 AM
Opsec opsec opsec, unless of course it's the wing CCs idea. Then screw opsec.