PDA

View Full Version : Op-Ed: Morale is high in nuclear force

imported_DannyJ
01-11-2014, 10:15 PM
Such blantant blue kool-aid spewing brown nosery is truly a rare thing!

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140111/NEWS01/301110003/Op-Ed-Morale-high-nuclear-force

Gonzo432
01-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Such blantant blue kool-aid spewing brown nosery is truly a rare thing!

Link please.

imported_DannyJ
01-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Sorry took me a second.

Gonzo432
01-11-2014, 10:32 PM
"Hamburgers and tater tots never tasted so good.":puke

imported_DannyJ
01-11-2014, 10:34 PM
"Hamburgers and tater tots never tasted so good.":puke

"Signature dish"

Bohica
01-11-2014, 10:56 PM
I spent my entire first term dealing with nukes and the PRP program, and morale couldn't get any worse than it already is. I only had to deal with nukes during exercises, I can't imagine what the missile guys have to deal with. Fortunately I was able to cross train before they took an axe to the retraining advisory

Juggs
01-11-2014, 10:58 PM
She is such a tool.

imnohero
01-11-2014, 11:00 PM
Lt. Col. Anita A. Feugate Opperman wrote:
I did not do a good job of ensuring our personnel were only asked to perform official duty on days they were already scheduled to work.

Translation: I didn't care about the morale or work schedules in my squadron, as long as I could put on my OPR, "all missile silos manned 100%"

BRUWIN
01-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Well if anybody would know what morale is like this CC would. She was part of the missile field. I don't think it's for anybody from outside the mission to doubt her. She's been there...lived it...and most of you buttclowns haven't. I had my doubts all this until I read this article but it's all there in black and white...morale is outstanding. There is nothing more to see here.

imnohero
01-11-2014, 11:04 PM
We really need some fish-hook icons for BRUWIN, maybe some sarcasm tags?

Gonzo432
01-12-2014, 12:08 AM
"Signature dish"

I'm good with burgers and tots, its just the way she said it. I went,,,,:puke Couldn't help it.

Airborne
01-12-2014, 01:48 AM
Well if anybody would know what morale is like this CC would. She was part of the missile field. I don't think it's for anybody from outside the mission to doubt her. She's been there...lived it...and most of you buttclowns haven't. I had my doubts all this until I read this article but it's all there in black and white...morale is outstanding. There is nothing more to see here.

I see what you did there....

Badger
01-12-2014, 04:03 AM
Obviously, this op-ed is not being well received. If you are going to take a controversial stance that goes counter to everything we know, you damn well better back it up with more than tater tots. If I were her, I would retract the article immediately before it reaches truly epic levels of mocking.

imported_DannyJ
01-12-2014, 04:31 AM
Obviously, this op-ed is not being well received. If you are going to take a controversial stance that goes counter to everything we know, you damn well better back it up with more than tater tots. If I were her, I would retract the article immediately before it reaches truly epic levels of mocking.

Blutarski x2?

imnohero
01-12-2014, 04:31 AM
Retract it? That would show she has some sort of clue, which apparently she doesn't if she needs a 2-star and a Rand study to tell her dumb shit every commander should already know, like don't overwork your people or write op-eds.

On the other hand, they had her picture and bio, so maybe this was a planned thing.

3-Star: "We gotta do something about this nuke thing, we look like a bunch of dumb-asses."
1-Star: "Just an idea, just throwing it out there...we can put out an op-ed saying that the rand study is wrong. I know a former missile squadron commander I can get to do it."
3-Star: "Good idea, have her submit it to the air force times, and ask them to run one of those disclosures...you know, does not represent official position, blah blah blah"

Badger
01-12-2014, 04:57 AM
I know I shouldn't be surprised but I'm actually quite startled and disturbed that an opinion so naive and deliberately ignorant would be coming from an AWC student. The Air War College, supposedly a nexus of innovative strategic thought, should only be accepting our best and brightest officers. I guess it goes to show that in the case of being admitted to the College: it's not what you know, it's who you know.

OtisRNeedleman
01-12-2014, 05:19 AM
I know I shouldn't be surprised but I'm actually quite startled and disturbed that an opinion so naive and deliberately ignorant would be coming from an AWC student. The Air War College, supposedly a nexus of innovative strategic thought, should only be accepting our best and brightest officers. I guess it goes to show that in the case of being admitted to the College: it's not what you know, it's who you know.

Or possibly who you blow.

From reading the op-ed, it's obvious this "commander" was practicing some "toxic leadership" in dealing with her people's work/life balance. What a shame.

Bunch
01-12-2014, 06:02 AM
Funny and sad!!

"I was an evil commander who dont give at rat ass about my airmen.... But those tater tots!!!?.. Hmmmmmmmm!!! Thats a morale builder right there!!!"

Watch out for the next CSAF!!!

giggawatt
01-12-2014, 11:41 AM
nuke force, morale, and drugs. Is there a connection?

SomeRandomGuy
01-12-2014, 04:40 PM
nuke force, morale, and drugs. Is there a connection?

From what I have heard people in the Nuke force have never been higher. Not sure why everyone is questioning this op-ed.

OtisRNeedleman
01-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Have seen my share of toxic leaders during my time. Every toxic leader I saw showed me how NOT to lead.

And you know what, folks? Many, if not most of the toxic leaders are the ones who end up spending the most time at the office. You see, it takes a lot of time and effort to be a toxic leader. Since toxic leaders are spending so much time treating their people poorly and thinking of ways to treat them even worse, they don't have enough time during the standard duty day to get their own job done.

It is FAR less effort to take care of your people. The old maxim, "Take care of your people, and the people will take care of the mission", is just as valid today as it ever was. I took care of my people. My people took care of the mission. Since I wasn't spending any time screwing over my people I generally had enough time during the standard duty day to get my own job done. Yeah, sometimes I'd work late for operational reasons but never because I'd spent a lot of time seeing how hard I could make things for my people.

Toxic leaders forget that people want to do their jobs well, if for no other reason than their own personal pride. Toxic leaders see their people only as a step to that next promotion or that next plum assignment. But sooner or later that strategy usually ends up not working.

Chief_KO
01-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Have seen my share of toxic leaders during my time. Every toxic leader I saw showed me how NOT to lead.

And you know what, folks? Many, if not most of the toxic leaders are the ones who end up spending the most time at the office. You see, it takes a lot of time and effort to be a toxic leader. Since toxic leaders are spending so much time treating their people poorly and thing of ways to treat them even worse, they don't have enough time during the standard duty day to get their own job done.

It is FAR less effort to take care of your people. The old maxim, "Take care of your people, and the people will take care of the mission", is just as valid today as it ever was. I took care of my people. My people took care of the mission. Since I wasn't spending any time screwing over my people I generally had enough time during the standard duty day to get my own job done. Yeah, sometimes I'd work late for operational reasons but never because I'd spent a lot of time seeing how hard I could make things for my people.

Toxic leaders forget that people want to do their jobs well, if for no other reason than their own personal pride. Toxic leaders see their people only as a step to that next promotion or that next plum assignment. But sooner or later that strategy usually ends up not working.

Outstanding post Otis!

OtisRNeedleman
01-13-2014, 04:24 AM
Outstanding post Otis!

Thank you kindly. Just telling the truth. :)

Chief_KO
01-15-2014, 02:23 AM
I can't wait till the next time I go to Sonic...I'll pretend I'm a nuclear launch officer while I enjoy my Burger & Tots!!!

imported_AFKILO7
01-15-2014, 02:32 AM
Minot sucks. Officers like this bimbo make me sick. She has not a fucking clue.

ChiefB
01-15-2014, 07:47 AM
"Missile field work often feels unnoticed and unappreciated by Americans and sometimes even the Air Force."

If this sentence is an example of what the Air War College teaches and our Squadron Commanders demonstrate via the written word, to those they lead, then I am disappointed.

"There is nothing like having a tour group eat an MAF meal. "Tater tots and hamburgers" never tasted so good. Our chefs, often in their first assignments, are eager to cook their signature dish."

Additionally, to refer to her squadron "chefs" as being capable of preparing a "signature dish" of "Tater tots and hamburgers" is to compare their culinary talents to hobos and football game tailgate "chefs". What about the MAF (Missile Alert Facility) chefs' cakes, pies, steaks, holiday special meals and other culinary dishes?

This was truly an amateur piece that didn't address the Rand Study points of major concern, to wit, the malaise of the Nuclear Enterprise and the continuing decline in professionalism, morale and performance of the ICBM Combat Crews.

Drackore
01-15-2014, 08:56 AM
She is well beyond out of touch - not surprising at all. My first assignment way back when was at a missile wing. Morale was good, but you could see it starting to fall. When I left, the nightmare scenarios started coming, leading us to today. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. "Leaders" (what they call themsleves) just sat back and let it happen...over and over throughout a decade. Now we have - today. And she says morale is high? BAHAHAHAHAHAHA...who is she talking to? The ass kissers that say that even when people are killing themselves?

She must be getting groomed for some stars. Out of touch, ignorant, and not very bright = perfect AF General.

J.D.C.
01-15-2014, 11:12 AM
She was on the AFGSC HQ staff before her CC tour....Must have drank a lot of the Nuke Koolaid

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-15-2014, 12:29 PM

Bimbo? Seriously? Why the personal attack, because you disagree with her position? Also, how many people who actually served in HER squadron have spoken up? She was stationed at FE Warren, yet you stated, "Minot sucks."

SomeRandomGuy
01-15-2014, 12:42 PM
She is well beyond out of touch - not surprising at all. My first assignment way back when was at a missile wing. Morale was good, but you could see it starting to fall. When I left, the nightmare scenarios started coming, leading us to today. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. "Leaders" (what they call themsleves) just sat back and let it happen...over and over throughout a decade. Now we have - today. And she says morale is high? BAHAHAHAHAHAHA...who is she talking to? The ass kissers that say that even when people are killing themselves?

She must be getting groomed for some stars. Out of touch, ignorant, and not very bright = perfect AF General.

When did you first notice things were getting bad? Was it when the amount of tator tots they served you was slightly reduced and arrived cold? Or was it when they substituted the burgers for veggie burgers in order to not offend the vegitarians?

BOSS302
01-15-2014, 01:19 PM

And how do the shitbag Chiefs, backstabbing SMSgts, and oxygen-stealing A1Cs make you feel?

Airborne
01-15-2014, 02:31 PM
And how do the shitbag Chiefs, backstabbing SMSgts, and oxygen-stealing A1Cs make you feel?

I see where you are trying to go, but the officer wields so much more power. The A1C cant direct anyone to work 12s and the SNCOs cant demote anyone for being non-compliant.

BOSS302
01-15-2014, 02:50 PM
I see where you are trying to go, but the officer wields so much more power. The A1C cant direct anyone to work 12s and the SNCOs cant demote anyone for being non-compliant.

Take away the oak leaf, eagle, star, or stripes...and they are just an ineffectual person. I think a better way of putting it is to say "People like this make me sick." No need to add the "enlisted/officer" qualifier in there as it just seems small, in my opinion.

Drackore
01-15-2014, 07:08 PM
I *HATE* cold tots! HATE em!

Chief_KO
01-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Plucked from the headlines:
Nearly three dozen nuclear missile launch officers have been implicated in a cheating scandal, and three others have been implicated in a drug probe, the latest alleged missteps by those who maintain and operate the nation's 450 nuclear missiles.
Three officers responsible for overseeing nuclear weapons were caught using drugs, and 34 officers cheated on a recent nuclear missile test in Montana and have been relieved of duty, Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James said.
James said those involved in the cheating scandal have lost their certification and nearly 200 missile crew members will retake the test.
Last week the Pentagon disclosed the original drug probe of a total of 10 officers — nine lieutenants and one captain — at six bases. It provided few other details beyond saying the officers were suspected of possessing "recreational drugs."
The matter is being probed by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.
The original disclosure of a drug investigation said the officers alleged to be involved were at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.; Schriever Air Force Base, Colo.; Royal Air Force base Lakenheath in England; Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., and two bases that operate intercontinental ballistic missiles — F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo., and Malmstrom.
First word of the investigation came last Thursday moments before Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel appeared at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming to deliver a pep talk to members of the 90th Missile Wing, which operates 150 ICBMs. Hagel did not mention the drug probe but praised the missile force for its dedication and professionalism.
Last week an Air Force spokesman, Lt. Col. Brett Ashworth, said the probe began with an investigation of two officers at Edwards and quickly widened to other bases because of the officers' contacts with others about drug possession.

guess they didn't like their tater tots...

BISSBOSS
01-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Nearly three dozen nuclear missile launch officers have been implicated in a cheating scandal, and three others have been implicated in a drug probe, the latest alleged missteps by those who maintain and operate the nation's 450 nuclear missiles.
Three officers responsible for overseeing nuclear weapons were caught using drugs, and 34 officers cheated on a recent nuclear missile test in Montana and have been relieved of duty, Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James said.
James said those involved in the cheating scandal have lost their certification and nearly 200 missile crew members will retake the test.
Last week the Pentagon disclosed the original drug probe of a total of 10 officers — nine lieutenants and one captain — at six bases. It provided few other details beyond saying the officers were suspected of possessing "recreational drugs."
The original disclosure of a drug investigation said the officers alleged to be involved were at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif.; Schriever Air Force Base, Colo.; Royal Air Force base Lakenheath in England; Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., and two bases that operate intercontinental ballistic missiles — F.E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyo., and Malmstrom.
First word of the investigation came last Thursday moments before Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel appeared at F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming to deliver a pep talk to members of the 90th Missile Wing, which operates 150 ICBMs. Hagel did not mention the drug probe but praised the missile force for its dedication and professionalism.
Last week an Air Force spokesman, Lt. Col. Brett Ashworth, said the probe began with an investigation of two officers at Edwards and quickly widened to other bases because of the officers' contacts with others about drug possession.

I JUST saw this...

Absolutely amazing. I wonder if the Op-ed author has egg - or Tater Tots on her face now..?

Bet her facebook and Twitter Feeds are "dark" right in through here.

-BB-

-BB-

OtisRNeedleman
01-15-2014, 09:21 PM

If I were the CSAF I would start cleaning house in the missile launch field. 34 officers cheating on a test? Nearly 200 more officers needing to retake the test? Just what's going on? One or two cheating on a test is bad enough, but the problem lies with the officers. When you have 34 caught cheating, and 200 more needing to retake the test, I consider that a sign of not just a problem with the officers, but problems within the unit(s).

With this in mind, Chuck's praise rings hollow.

Gotta say this, too. You don't hear of these wide-spread problems with Navy officers on ballistic missile submarines. Different types of duty? Better esprit d'corps? Treated better than AF missile launch officers? Better leadership in the submarine service? Perhaps Chuck should look into the differences and see what the Navy is doing right and the AF is doing wrong, or not doing at all. This comedy of errors simply can't go on.

Chief_KO
01-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Wonder how many were USAFA grads...

But seriously, how much specialized skill/advanced schooling does it take to perform this duty? Follow extremely detailed checklists, maintain impeccable personal standards, and (insert diety of choice) forbid, two individuals turn their keys in synchronization. I'm sure I'm missing something here...but don't the actual missile maintainers and other "support" personnel actually have more difficult jobs requiring ingenuity, hands-on skills, working in the elements, etc.
What am I missing???

Slyoldawg
01-15-2014, 10:36 PM
If I were the CSAF I would start cleaning house in the missile launch field. 34 officers cheating on a test? Nearly 200 more officers needing to retake the test? Just what's going on? One or two cheating on a test is bad enough, but the problem lies with the officers. When you have 34 caught cheating, and 200 more needing to retake the test, I consider that a sign of not just a problem with the officers, but problems within the unit(s).

With this in mind, Chuck's praise rings hollow.

Gotta say this, too. You don't hear of these wide-spread problems with Navy officers on ballistic missile submarines. Different types of duty? Better esprit d'corps? Treated better than AF missile launch officers? Better leadership in the submarine service? Perhaps Chuck should look into the differences and see what the Navy is doing right and the AF is doing wrong, or not doing at all. This comedy of errors simply can't go on.

Just read that former Sec of Defense Gates has a chapter in his new book that is entitled, "The Air Force Was My Biggest Headache" because of the nuke fiasco going on and he blames that for firing the Sec of the AF and the USAF head.

Gonzo432
01-16-2014, 12:15 AM
I *HATE* cold tots! HATE em!

Pre-heat the oven to 425, bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Much beter than cold:smile:

Big Blue
01-16-2014, 12:15 AM

But seriously, how much specialized skill/advanced schooling does it take to perform this duty? Follow extremely detailed checklists, maintain impeccable personal standards, and (insert diety of choice) forbid, two individuals turn their keys in synchronization. I'm sure I'm missing something here...but don't the actual missile maintainers and other "support" personnel actually have more difficult jobs requiring ingenuity, hands-on skills, working in the elements, etc.
What am I missing???

Bingo! Hit the nail on the head..The maintainers and the cops there are the unsung heros that have it rough. Can't imagine this happening in the SAC days..the stories I have heard. They would have been sent to the gallows, ha ha.

imported_AFKILO7
01-16-2014, 01:52 AM
Bimbo? Seriously? Why the personal attack, because you disagree with her position? Also, how many people who actually served in HER squadron have spoken up? She was stationed at FE Warren, yet you stated, "Minot sucks."

Yup. I was going to use the term C.ant U.nderstand N.ormal T.hinking because she is clearly a dumb ****. But instead I used bimbo. I also understand what you are getting at, she is stationed at FE Warren and I said Minot. I was stationed at Minot and worked in the missile field. The missile field is the same regardless of which state or base your MAF (missile alert facility) or LF (launch facility) is located in/at. The job is the same, MAF's are the same, and unfortunately there are bimbo's at every single base.

I get a little crabby when I read stupid, self serving, ass kissing by shit leaders.

imported_AFKILO7
01-16-2014, 01:53 AM

They should wash their mouths out with a shotgun.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-16-2014, 02:31 AM
Yup. I was going to use the term C.ant U.nderstand N.ormal T.hinking because she is clearly a dumb ****. But instead I used bimbo. I also understand what you are getting at, she is stationed at FE Warren and I said Minot. I was stationed at Minot and worked in the missile field. The missile field is the same regardless of which state or base your MAF (missile alert facility) or LF (launch facility) is located in/at. The job is the same, MAF's are the same, and unfortunately there are bimbo's at every single base.

I get a little crabby when I read stupid, self serving, ass kissing by shit leaders.

I'm sure she wrote that article with the best intentions, and it's very possible she is a good, caring person. Not knowing anything about her personally, I hardly think it's appropriate to call her a bimbo, C-word, or any other hurtful words. Is she ignorant? Seems that way. Bimbo? I don't know her.

Kicker47
01-16-2014, 01:32 PM

...but don't the actual missile maintainers and other "support" personnel actually have more difficult jobs requiring ingenuity, hands-on skills, working in the elements, etc.
What am I missing???

Yeah...that's not really promoted in the the good ol' Nuc Enterprise. Not allowed to pick your nose without a TO on how to do it and 20th AF wanting data charts on how many boogers you picked from 1 Jan to 31 Jan...and God help you if you use the wrong font on that chart. :mmph

Okie
01-18-2014, 03:57 PM

I think your aperture needs to be larger. The AF teaches from Day 1 that it's better to be wrong with your team than right all by your lonesome. They also teach "cooperate and graduate", especially in flight school, where they KNOW the answers to the tests are floating around amongst the students yet fail to say there's a problem with that or even change the test. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it's an AF-approved learning method. In fact, this is how they come across: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME Yes, it's wrong the way most people were reared, but there are an awful lot of folks casting stones who aren't so lily-white.

+1 on your Navy comments. Give THEM the mission.

My bigger question is, "Aren't our nuclear procedures classified?" If not, that really surprises me. If so, why are there cell phones in the SCIF, and why in the hell are they texting answers to a nook-ya-lur procedures test to each other?

Port Dawg
01-18-2014, 04:25 PM
I recently had a boss who told me to "Send him my bullets" for the week, every week, for nearly 6 friggin months. Sent this deusch 6 quality bullets from myself and my subordinates every week, things to include school, above and beyond...etc. Nothing ever came of it, what the hell was the point? So he can absorb it into his EPR?

Bunch
01-24-2014, 03:15 AM
With public trust and safety at stake, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered immediate actions Thursday to define the depth of trouble inside the nation's nuclear force, which has been rocked by disclosures about security lapses, poor discipline, weak morale and other problems that raise questions about nuclear security.

How stupid Lt Col Feugate must feel right now? If this isnt the best example of out of touch AF leadership then I dont know what it is.

http://mobile.airforcetimes.com/article/20140123/NEWS05/301230016

wxjumper
01-24-2014, 07:29 AM
She is such a tool.

I could have told you that as soon as I saw that she had two last names.

wxjumper
01-24-2014, 07:31 AM
How stupid Lt Col Feugate must feel right now? If this isnt the best example of out of touch AF leadership then I dont know what it is.

http://mobile.airforcetimes.com/article/20140123/NEWS05/301230016It is a great example of out of touch AF Leadership and is a product of Academic types getting promoted ahead of people with extensive field experience. That practice of promotion is why the AF has been a laughing stock over the past 10 years.

jshiver15
01-24-2014, 09:30 AM
I recently had a boss who told me to "Send him my bullets" for the week, every week, for nearly 6 friggin months. Sent this deusch 6 quality bullets from myself and my subordinates every week, things to include school, above and beyond...etc. Nothing ever came of it, what the hell was the point? So he can absorb it into his EPR?

I'm assuming you never received an EPR then? Really confused as to why this is a bad idea.

Gonzo432
01-24-2014, 09:35 AM
It is a great example of out of touch AF Leadership and is a product of Academic types getting promoted ahead of people with extensive field experience. That practice of promotion is why the AF has been a laughing stock over the past 10 years.

Which continues the cycle of the wrong people getting into leadership, volunteering and PT trumping job performance and competency. When "how you get promoted" leads to this, just imagine what the next 10 years will bring? This cycle started long ago, it hasn't stopped.