PDA

View Full Version : Apply now for Servicemember Civil Relief Act (SCRA) Benefits

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm trying to pass the word out on this as much as I can. This is not a joke. I've been in the Air Force for 19 years now and I seriously doubted this when I first heard it...

Everyone needs to contact their credit card banks, except for USAA, and ask for SCRA benefits. (I established all of my lines of credit after I enlisted so they don't have to be accounts prior to your enlistment.) They should lower your APR down to 6% and refund you back the interest you've paid in the past that was over 6%. Your APR stays at 6% as long as you're AD. They will also refund any late fees that you've paid in the past and will not charge you late fees again as long as you're AD.

I've contacted all of my creditors and I've had success with all of them, except for USAA who requires that you're actually deployed instead of just on active duty.

You're not going to lose anything for asking. Many of the banks just need a copy of your LES or PCS orders to show that you're AD. All it takes is usually an e-mail or a fax and a phone call.

Please give this a shot... it's free money that's owed back to you in return for your service.:dance

sandsjames
01-10-2014, 05:08 PM
I'm trying to pass the word out on this as much as I can. This is not a joke. I've been in the Air Force for 19 years now and I seriously doubted this when I first heard it...

Everyone needs to contact their credit card banks, except for USAA, and ask for SCRA benefits. (I established all of my lines of credit after I enlisted so they don't have to be accounts prior to your enlistment.) They should lower your APR down to 6% and refund you back the interest you've paid in the past that was over 6%. Your APR stays at 6% as long as you're AD. They will also refund any late fees that you've paid in the past and will not charge you late fees again as long as you're AD.

I've contacted all of my creditors and I've had success with all of them, except for USAA who requires that you're actually deployed instead of just on active duty.

You're not going to lose anything for asking. Many of the banks just need a copy of your LES or PCS orders to show that you're AD. All it takes is usually an e-mail or a fax and a phone call.

Please give this a shot... it's free money that's owed back to you in return for your service.:dance

From what I just read on military.com it is still on debts incurred PRIOR to service.

imported_DannyJ
01-10-2014, 05:10 PM
From what I just read on military.com it is still on debts incurred PRIOR to service.

Yep, this applies to debt incurred prior to service, but is also applicable for deployed folks.

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 05:18 PM
No... all of my debts were incurred after joining and I'm not currently deployed. Don't be fooled... you do qualify for this. I convinced everyone in my office to apply and we've all had success with our requests. We're talking about free money and a great APR just for asking for it... Imagine your 22% APR being reduced to 6% for the rest of your career. Chase and Capital One even have webpages set up to make it easier to apply. I didn't even have to submit anything to Chase. They have access to our DEERS records to prove you're active duty.

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 05:22 PM
Sorry, it's Captial One that has DEERS access and Chase just needs your LES or PCS orders...

Here is the link for Capital One:
http://www.capitalone.com/legal/servicemembers-civil-relief-act/

Here are the instructions for Chase:
- Log into your Chase account (if you have a closed account, call Chase directly)
- Under Secure Message Center you will see "Inbox" and "Send new message"
- Click on "Send new message"
- At the bottom under "Inquires" you will see "Military- Service members Civil Relief Act benefits" with a drop down menu
- Select "SCRA- Submit Military Orders/Documentation" and click on GO
- Enter a message asking for SCRA benefits and provide your SSN and upload your supporting doc (orders, DD214, etc)
- Hit send and wait for them to validate your request (4-5 weeks)

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 05:25 PM
For all you doubters... that's fine, it's your money... and their profits...

DWWSWWD
01-10-2014, 07:08 PM
Let me see... I've got nothing. I'll just go with that.

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 07:12 PM
How do I say nicely that I think you're full of shit? Let me see... I've got nothing. I'll just go with that.

Your loss

sandsjames
01-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Your loss

Yep, and if you click on this link, Bill Gates will send you a check for $10,000.

fufu
01-10-2014, 07:26 PM
6% is a great APR? My car is 1.99%. 22%? I pay my bills...

RetC141BFCC
01-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Yep, and if you click on this link, Bill Gates will send you a check for $10,000.

Hey where is the link. I could use the 10 grand I read on the net it was only 5 grand. You know if you read it on the computer it is true

DWWSWWD
01-10-2014, 07:27 PM
Your loss Actually not. I don't have any debt other than a mortgage. If I did, it certainly wouldn't be 26% or whatever the hell the number was you used. If you've got 26% interest on debt, you should have some other plan other than, "Hey, I'm a vet, give me my stuff."

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Again... I say your loss. I posted this with sincerity and I expected respectful replies.

It's free money for the asking... you're not gonna ruin my day by not asking for it... just trying to be helpful to everyone else in this great Air Force or any other branch for that matter.

I posted clear and honest advice with the internet links to back me up.

I never expected people to question whether I was being truthful. Oh well... no refund for you then

DWWSWWD
01-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Again... I expected respectful replies.

I never expected people to question whether I was being truthful. You're new around here aren't you?

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 07:45 PM
Actually I was just trying to be a nice person and spread some good news. 6% on a credit card is a pretty good APR in my opinion. I'm happy to hear that you're well off in our poor economy. Too bad not everyone is as fortunate as you.

Have a good day then.

sandsjames
01-10-2014, 08:33 PM
6% is a great APR? My car is 1.99%. 22%? I pay my bills...

When I was instructing at Tech School I had several students who were getting those kind of rates. They had no other credit and the only place that would give them loans were the rip off places. Had a guy bragging that he'd bought a brand new Dodge Neon, got it for $23k with a 22% (or something like that) rate. His payments were $450/month, on a NEON!!

sandsjames
01-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Actually I was just trying to be a nice person and spread some good news. 6% on a credit card is a pretty good APR in my opinion. I'm happy to hear that you're well off in our poor economy. Too bad not everyone is as fortunate as you.

Have a good day then.

Some of the things you mentioned are company specific. They are not SCRA benefits. They are perks that the specific company may offer you. Just as one restaurant gives a 10% military discount doesn't mean another one will. Again, what you have posted is NOT and SCRA benefit.

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 09:05 PM
You can call it whatever you want. I made a phone call to my credit card company and asked what I needed to do to qualify for SCRA benefits and they helped me out by lowering my APR to 6% and refunding me all the interest I've paid in the past that was over 6% along with any late fees I may have paid too.

Obviously if you don't need your APR lowered than you can disregard my entire post. Your troops or co-workers might be able to use this information though.

What if no one ever advertised using TA? This is just one more benefit that some people could use although I agree that it won't help everyone. TA doesn't really help those who already have degrees. This advice won't help those without any debt.

If this doesn't apply to you then just move on. My hope is that one of the several people reading this will take advantage of this information and then it'll all be worth my time posting this.

sandsjames
01-10-2014, 09:40 PM
You can call it whatever you want. I made a phone call to my credit card company and asked what I needed to do to qualify for SCRA benefits and they helped me out by lowering my APR to 6% and refunding me all the interest I've paid in the past that was over 6% along with any late fees I may have paid too.

Obviously if you don't need your APR lowered than you can disregard my entire post. Your troops or co-workers might be able to use this information though.

What if no one ever advertised using TA? This is just one more benefit that some people could use although I agree that it won't help everyone. TA doesn't really help those who already have degrees. This advice won't help those without any debt.

If this doesn't apply to you then just move on. My hope is that one of the several people reading this will take advantage of this information and then it'll all be worth my time posting this.

I don't have any troops. I'm very happily retired.

If the only way TA was advertised was through an internet forum I probably wouldn't take it very seriously.

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Then my post doesn't even apply to you. I posted it for Active Duty personnel to take advantage of. It's too late for you.

sandsjames
01-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Then my post doesn't even apply to you. I posted it for Active Duty personnel to take advantage of. It's too late for you.

Yep...it is. Guess I'll have to remain stuck with my 1.9% car loan and my 4.9% credit card.

Chewy24
01-10-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm happy for you then. Well done. This is for the rest of us.