PDA

View Full Version : Jury duty

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-09-2014, 05:54 PM
So, apparently, being selected for local jury duty means we have to pay the US treasury the amount we get paid for serving.

AFI 51-301 Para 9.27.6

imnohero
01-09-2014, 06:22 PM
That's because if you serve on jury duty, you get paid anyway, unlike most people. There's also the whole "double dipping" thing of getting paid by the government twice.

On the other hand, you're exempt from jury duty if you are on active duty.

TJMAC77SP
01-09-2014, 06:44 PM
That's because if you serve on jury duty, you get paid anyway, unlike most people. There's also the whole "double dipping" thing of getting paid by the government twice.

Since when? I was called twice in Florida while on active duty. First time I was exempted due to military obligation. The very next month I was called again and was dismissed, not because I was active duty but because I was a cop.

This was in the 90's. Have things changed since then?

imported_WILDJOKER5
01-09-2014, 06:52 PM

Read the AFI again, particularly para 9. You are only exempt IF you commander says you can be exempt. For me, I will be good for 10 years because they ask if I am a single parent of children under 12 years old. So I wont be going anymore.

imnohero
01-09-2014, 07:12 PM
Since when? I was called twice in Florida while on active duty. First time I was exempted due to military obligation. The very next month I was called again and was dismissed, not because I was active duty but because I was a cop.

This was in the 90's. Have things changed since then?

Maybe it depends on the state you live in? I was called in NY, NJ, and WA and all three had a check-box on the return form that said "exempt due to active military service"...I check it and sent it in and never got another notice for any of the 3 states. NY and NJ were in the 90s, WA was in the 00s.

TJMAC77SP
01-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Maybe it depends on the state you live in? I was called in NY, NJ, and WA and all three had a check-box on the return form that said "exempt due to active military service"...I check it and sent it in and never got another notice for any of the 3 states. NY and NJ were in the 90s, WA was in the 00s.

Yes, it would appear exemptions are dependent on state law.