PDA

View Full Version : Random question

Shaken1976
01-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Okay...two completely unrelated random questions...well sort of related.

I recently had shoulder surgery and just started back to work. I am out of a sling but still have very limited use of my right arm. I can't render a proper salute because I can't lift my arm that high very quickly and without a good deal of pain. Is it better to give a half assed salute that doesn't cause me pain or just not salute and explain if questioned?

Second...my enlistment is up soon...because of my failed pt test I have a referral EPR on top. I will be at 18.5 years. I have passed two PT tests since then. My EPR closes out the same week my enlistment is up. I have at least 6 months of rehab left on my shoulder. I am code 37 medical. What will happen with my enlistment?

sandsjames
01-08-2014, 06:41 PM

I recently had shoulder surgery and just started back to work. I am out of a sling but still have very limited use of my right arm. I can't render a proper salute because I can't lift my arm that high very quickly and without a good deal of pain. Is it better to give a half assed salute that doesn't cause me pain or just not salute and explain if questioned?

Second...my enlistment is up soon...because of my failed pt test I have a referral EPR on top. I will be at 18.5 years. I have passed two PT tests since then. My EPR closes out the same week my enlistment is up. I have at least 6 months of rehab left on my shoulder. I am code 37 medical. What will happen with my enlistment?

Second part depends on so many things, the main one being your Commander. The other thing is your career field need. Can you extend instead of re-enlisting? If so, get that knocked out as long as your Commander will approve.

Just remember, no matter what, if the Commander doesn't want to screw you over, you should be good. If he/she does, then you're pretty much on your own.

Chief_KO
01-08-2014, 06:50 PM
I did the shoulder surgery on both arms back to back...
I wore my sling when out in public until I was able to use my arm with relative ease. This answers the saluting problem and keeps anyone from smacking you on the shoulder or going for a handshake.
I took off my sling in the office, at home, in the car, etc.
Pretty sure you can't reenlist with a code 37 (but I'm just doing a retiree guess). I would venture a guess that you can extend up through your rehab "get well" date then either reenlist of extend to reach retirement. Of course with all the force shaping stuff that could all be out the window. I wouldn't wait to get the answer though, either from the MPF or the AFPC call center.
Best of luck with your rehab, it does take a long time!!

J.D.C.
01-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Code 37 prevents you from reenlisting but also prevents you from getting out (they do extentions ever few months at the MDG recommendation) until the MEB is over. Sounds like you will have a non referral EPR on top when it is over (if returned to service) and will be able to reenlist at that time.

Shaken1976
01-08-2014, 07:38 PM
I did the shoulder surgery on both arms back to back...
I wore my sling when out in public until I was able to use my arm with relative ease. This answers the saluting problem and keeps anyone from smacking you on the shoulder or going for a handshake.
I took off my sling in the office, at home, in the car, etc.
Pretty sure you can't reenlist with a code 37 (but I'm just doing a retiree guess). I would venture a guess that you can extend up through your rehab "get well" date then either reenlist of extend to reach retirement. Of course with all the force shaping stuff that could all be out the window. I wouldn't wait to get the answer though, either from the MPF or the AFPC call center.
Best of luck with your rehab, it does take a long time!!

I think I will wear the sling when out and about. It might make people be a little more careful around me too. I was knocked into a wall earlier at the hospital. I almost cried.

Chief_KO
01-08-2014, 07:45 PM
I hear ya! Was it rotator cuff or other surgery? When they say six months you can almost set your clock to it. I've had three total, and each took the full six months.
Best wishes for a full recovery!!
KO

Rusty Jones
01-08-2014, 07:46 PM
I was always told that Army and Air Force don't salute at all when a medical condition prevents them from being able to render a proper salute with the right hand.

imported_KnuckleDragger
01-08-2014, 08:13 PM
I was always told that Army and Air Force don't salute at all when a medical condition prevents them from being able to render a proper salute with the right hand.

What does the Navy do?

Chief_KO
01-08-2014, 08:43 PM
What does the Navy do?

Verbal greeting "Arggggghhh" ala Popeye

Capt Alfredo
01-09-2014, 12:23 AM
What does the Navy do?

Salute with main vein? Run that up the flag pole!

Capt Alfredo
01-09-2014, 12:24 AM

Do the guidon salute with your left arm. That's what BRUWIN would do.

CJSmith
01-09-2014, 12:45 AM
I had a broken leg and hobbled around on crutches for 2 months. Not once did I give a salute and not once did anyone give me crap. I just extended a 'Afternoon Sir/Maam' and that worked.

Shaken1976
01-09-2014, 12:00 PM
I had a broken leg and hobbled around on crutches for 2 months. Not once did I give a salute and not once did anyone give me crap. I just extended a 'Afternoon Sir/Maam' and that worked.

I am no longer in a sling anymore. I just don't have that range of motion. Guess I will just do the greeting and offer explaination.

BENDER56
01-09-2014, 12:52 PM
I am no longer in a sling anymore. I just don't have that range of motion. Guess I will just do the greeting and offer explaination.

I'd go with your previous idea to wear the sling when you're outside whether you need it or not. It'll save you time and hassle.

denmom
01-09-2014, 02:19 PM
I had surgery on my right arm a couple years ago. I kept my arm in the sling when I was outside and when I was moving around. I only took it out of the sling at my desk. It's easier that way.

BRUWIN
01-10-2014, 08:42 PM
Do the guidon salute with your left arm. That's what BRUWIN would do.

That is not what I would do at all so just stop spreading false accusations. I would fist bump the dude and explain my shoulder situation.

Capt Alfredo
01-10-2014, 09:10 PM
That is not what I would do at all so just stop spreading false accusations. I would fist bump the dude and explain my shoulder situation.

Reminds me of the 'deid where we were officially told to fist-bump (actually even worse, it was an elbow/forearm bump, I think) rather than shake hands because of all the sickness going around. Just when you think the "lame" factor can't get any higher...

Gonzo432
01-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Reminds me of the 'deid where we were officially told to fist-bump (actually even worse, it was an elbow/forearm bump, I think) rather than shake hands because of all the sickness going around. Just when you think the "lame" factor can't get any higher...

I read this and would have thought you were spoofing on us except for one word: Deid. The level of lame from the Deid will never shock me.

Chief_KO
01-11-2014, 12:44 AM
I'm just shocked to $hit that I was able to survive and thrive for my first 40 years on planet Earth without ever using (let alone seeing) hand sanitizer.

BENDER56
01-11-2014, 01:36 AM
I'm just shocked to $hit that I was able to survive and thrive for my first 40 years on planet Earth without ever using (let alone seeing) hand sanitizer.

You've survived because of that. There is a growing body of evidence that preventing any exposure to pathogens during childhood can lead to a screwed-up immune system.