PDA

View Full Version : At least the DOJ is on the right side of this one for once..

garhkal
01-03-2014, 09:35 PM
The DOJ is fighting California's state supreme court issuing a license to practice to someone who is a known and outspoken illegal (undocumented worker) alien.
But after reading the stories what i would like to know is, if he is known to be illegal, how did he even GET through law school, and take the bar?

http://www.thedailyjournal.com/viewart/20140103/NEWS01/301030017/Illegal-immigrant-OK-d-practice-law-Calif-

garhkal
01-05-2014, 05:33 AM
What.. No one wants to comment on this?

efmbman
01-05-2014, 01:14 PM
When Sergio passed the bar back in Aug 2012, I made comments about it in a now-deleted immigration thread. No one seemed to care then either.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-05-2014, 01:48 PM
US minority populations are growing. DEMs will begin winning all elections with landslide victories. Entitlement spending will go through the roof and military bennies will disappear. I'll whine and cry, then go back to my Xbox while I can still afford it.

garhkal
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
When Sergio passed the bar back in Aug 2012, I made comments about it in a now-deleted immigration thread. No one seemed to care then either.

Which of the subforums was that thread? I don't recollect one back from then about it.

efmbman
01-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Which of the subforums was that thread? I don't recollect one back from then about it.

The thread was "In the News" and it was about illegals or something. I posted a link to an article about this case. Naturally, the thread devolved into something like a kindergarden playground fight involving the usual suspects and people were banned and the thread deleted as far as I can tell. I cannot find my posts in my history.

sandsjames
01-05-2014, 08:36 PM
Nobody is commenting because we know the outcome of the comments. If one feels the guy shouldn't have been allowed in college they will be labeled as a racist.

Sure the guy should have been deported, and the DOJ SHOULD be involved

sandsjames
01-05-2014, 08:37 PM
The thread was "In the News" and it was about illegals or something. I posted a link to an article about this case. Naturally, the thread devolved into something like a kindergarden playground fight involving the usual suspects and people were banned and the thread deleted as far as I can tell. I cannot find my posts in my history.

The SOP of the Mods. You want to see something interesting. Try to find threads started by TAK. Gone.

Chief_KO
01-05-2014, 08:45 PM
The answer to the question(s) of how an illegal alien was able to attend college, law school, and take the bar exam can be answered in two words:

Hispanic & California

Next question...

efmbman
01-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Seems to me the DOJ is not involved at all. There has been enough press about this over the past year that finding Sergio, taking him into custody and deporting him should have been done already. More lip service from a government that is unwilling or unable to enforce the laws.

imnohero
01-05-2014, 11:07 PM
The key parts of the article:

The court sided with state officials in the case, which pitted them against the White House over a 1996 federal law that bars people who are in the U.S. illegally from receiving professional licenses from government agencies or with the use of public funds, unless state lawmakers vote otherwise.

the court made clear the only reason it granted Garcia’s petition is that California recently approved a law authorizing the state to give law licenses to immigrants living in the country illegally

There is nothing for DOJ to fight against. States can make laws that allow this, CA did...more or less "end of story" unless Congress changes the federal law. Though I suspect the "state's rights" folks might get some new allies if congress did.

Whether or not the guy is fined for his non-citizen status (or turned into a high profile deportation), or should have been at some point in the past, is rather a different subject to the legal case about his law license.

efmbman
01-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Whether or not the guy is fined for his non-citizen status (or turned into a high profile deportation), or should have been at some point in the past, is rather a different subject to the legal case about his law license.

That's the only issue I have. It sets a dangerous precedent for others. Why would anyone take our immigration laws seriously and attempt to abide by them if nothing is done to Sergio? The fact that this is high profile makes it a perfect choice for action. This is waving illegal actions in face of the government and no one cares.

imnohero
01-06-2014, 12:24 AM
We are well past the "set an example" point. Immigration law has been needing reform for at least 30 years and the federal government has chosen to do basically nothing. This is not the first high profile immigration "case." It won't be the last. If there is a "no one cares" attitude, it's probable source is D.C. There are highly impassioned interests on both sides of this issue, it polls as one of the important to the people, I think people do care (for or against) but as long as Congress is sitting on their hands, we are basically stuck.

efmbman
01-06-2014, 12:30 AM
It's a slap in the face of all those that are waiting in the line - going through the process legally. I get your points, and for the most part you are right. But if we as a nation cannot take our own laws and regulations seriously why should anyone else?

/RANT

garhkal
01-06-2014, 07:11 AM
There is nothing for DOJ to fight against. States can make laws that allow this, CA did...more or less "end of story" unless Congress changes the federal law. Though I suspect the "state's rights" folks might get some new allies if congress did.

But it is a contradiction since the DOJ was all over states such as Arizona who were making state laws that Enhanced/enforce federal ones.. So it seems they piss on those who want to do the govt's job but turn a blind eye to those that say 'screw you'..

It's a slap in the face of all those that are waiting in the line - going through the process legally. I get your points, and for the most part you are right. But if we as a nation cannot take our own laws and regulations seriously why should anyone else?

/RANT

Exactly. Heck if we can allow these illegals to flaunt our laws and get away with it, why should anyone else who is a citizen not do the same..?