PDA

View Full Version : No more IDP for the Deid

grimreaper
01-03-2014, 06:21 PM
DoD finally cut something that should have been cut long ago. It would be nice if they would cut more wasteful things like this and leave our retirement alone.

http://www.stripes.com/news/dod-announces-changes-to-imminent-danger-pay-1.260479

The following land areas and the airspace above them were decertified: Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Serbia and Montenegro.

The following land areas were decertified: East Timor, Haiti, Liberia, Oman, Rwanda, Tajikistan, United Arab Emirates, Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan.

SomeRandomGuy
01-03-2014, 06:34 PM
Sweet! Now I am anxiously awaiting half of my Facebook friends to post about how "Obama did this" because he hates the military.

P.S. My only disagreement with the list. "Countries with continued IDP Designation" Afghan, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Somalia Basin, Syria, Turkey, Yemen.

Why is Turkey still on this list? When was the last time Incirillik came under attack?

Airborne
01-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Sweet! Now I am anxiously awaiting half of my Facebook friends to post about how "Obama did this" because he hates the military.

P.S. My only disagreement with the list. "Countries with continued IDP Designation" Afghan, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Pakistan, Somalia Basin, Syria, Turkey, Yemen.

Why is Turkey still on this list? When was the last time Incirillik came under attack?

Funny how everyone complains about government waste and then when something gets cut that is acutally needed, "Fartbongo!"

BOSS302
01-03-2014, 06:41 PM

I agree with Turkey being on the list.

Anyhow, this is good news. I am glad. And I, too, await the Facebook orgasm of "Omg Hussein Obama is destroying our military!"

grimreaper
01-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Beats the hell out of me why Turkey is still on there.

SomeRandomGuy
01-03-2014, 06:43 PM
I agree with Turkey being on the list.

Anyhow, this is good news. I am glad. And I, too, await the Facebook orgasm of "Omg Hussein Obama is destroying our military!"

You agree with Turkey still being a designated IDP area? Is "the alley" really that dangerous? Also, why are you allowed to bring dependants to an Imminent Danger area?

BENDER56
01-03-2014, 06:55 PM
This is just wrong!

I'm still being treated for PTSD from the horror of getting caught walking to the Cadillac in my shower shoes at 0300.

SgtS
01-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Remember, there WAS a suicide/car bombing at the U.S. Embassy in Turkey back in Feb 2013. I'm sure that factured into that decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/suicide-bombing-at-us-embassy-in-turkey-kills-turkish-guard/2013/02/01/fa6383a8-6c9d-11e2-bd36-c0fe61a205f6_story.html

I wouldn't call Turkey super dangerous per se, but it isn't puppies and kittens over there either.

BOSS302
01-03-2014, 06:57 PM
You agree with Turkey still being a designated IDP area? Is "the alley" really that dangerous? Also, why are you allowed to bring dependants to an Imminent Danger area?

Yes, I am. I won't debate the merits of IDP for Turkey vs. Qatar but they are definitely there.

I'll answer your "families and IDP" question if you can answer for me why Finance continues to dick-around with my allotments. :smashfreakB:

BOSS302
01-03-2014, 06:58 PM
This is just wrong!

I'm still being treated for PTSD from the horror of getting caught walking to the Cadillac in my shower shoes at 0300.

I once had to share my F-150 with someone when driving to work in the mornings. I still get night terrors from it.

BENDER56
01-03-2014, 07:10 PM
I once had to share my F-150 with someone when driving to work in the mornings. I still get night terrors from it.

My pick-up had no A/C!!!

In the summer!!!

Oh, the horror.

BOSS302
01-03-2014, 07:42 PM
My pick-up had no A/C!!!

In the summer!!!

Oh, the horror.

I don't care. You are not taking away my future VA benefits with your claims. Mine is worse than yours.

Gonzo432
01-03-2014, 09:31 PM
This is just wrong!

Imminent danger wasn't really an issue at the Deid when I was there in 05. Imminent annoyance on the other hand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gonzo432
01-03-2014, 09:33 PM
My pick-up had no A/C!!!

In the summer!!!

Oh, the horror.
1982 Mazda B2000, no A/C, drove it for 10 YEARS! Best $500 I ever spent, but that 2X60 A/C was rough at Tyndall, and Pope, and Eglin.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Beats the hell out of me why Turkey is still on there.

If you've ever had a Turkish Chicken Donner with unrefrigerated, day-old mayonnaise on a 100 degree day, then you'd understand why need to keep IDP. Enough said.

Old Fart IV
01-04-2014, 11:30 PM

Why could they be in harms way? the "lik" is close enough to the Syria border region where all the refugees and "freedom fighters" have their camps. I believe the US also moved some Patriot batteries into SE Turkey. And don't forget about the Turkish Kurds - I'm not sure they are friendly towards the USA.

JR

sandsjames
01-05-2014, 01:50 AM
Remember, there WAS a suicide/car bombing at the U.S. Embassy in Turkey back in Feb 2013. I'm sure that factured into that decision.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/suicide-bombing-at-us-embassy-in-turkey-kills-turkish-guard/2013/02/01/fa6383a8-6c9d-11e2-bd36-c0fe61a205f6_story.html

I wouldn't call Turkey super dangerous per se, but it isn't puppies and kittens over there either.

Any country people voluntarily visit for vacations should NOT be on the list.

Airborne
01-05-2014, 02:06 AM
Any country people voluntarily visit for vacations should NOT be on the list.

I agree. British people (and other Euros) are taking cheap flights to Turkey for their vacations with only minimal cautions from their home office (State Department). It's pretty much the same as Americans going to Mexico. There arent long lines for flights going to Iraq which is a shame since it is so rich in history, has beautiful women, and is on the fringe of being a culinary paradise.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-05-2014, 03:59 AM
Next thing they need to cut is BAS for deployed personnel, just like before Clinton changed the rules. BAS is for the member, not their family. Member gets free food while deployed, so BAS is not justified.

Airborne
01-05-2014, 04:40 AM
Next thing they need to cut is BAS for deployed personnel, just like before Clinton changed the rules. BAS is for the member, not their family. Member gets free food while deployed, so BAS is not justified.

I hate the BAS scam. Just put the money in my base pay so I can collect the retirement off of it.

Chief_KO
01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
I remember losing BAS when deployed (mid 80's), even for local training deployments. Fill out the travel voucher, get $0 in travel pay (no per diem) & lose BAS on top of it. And those were the days of the dehydrated MREs! I don't support pulling BAS when deployed, but I do support pulling the $3.50 a day per diem for "incidentals"....exactly what incidentals are there in Tent City????

I don't think making BAS/BAH part of the pay is a good idea...for one it will be taxable and unless you paid everyone (and set a flat BAH rate) retirement pay would fluctuate between the guy who retired at a low cost area vs a guy who retired at a high cost area.

Chief_KO
01-05-2014, 12:24 PM
Automatically pay everyone BAS once they become permanent party (after initial tech training). Think of the time/money savings in BAS re-certification etc. Also it could help some Airmen with diet/budget management. We have a contracted dining facility along with the FSS facilities (club, bowling alley) where meal card Airmen can eat "for free". Not uncommon for me to see them order two burgers (each 1/3 lb) or two overstuffed burritos, that would be a $14 lunch for a cash payer...

CJSmith
01-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Neither is East St. Louis. But folks at Scott AFB aren't getting IDP for it.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-05-2014, 12:40 PM
I hate the BAS scam. Just put the money in my base pay so I can collect the retirement off of it.

It's already in your pay. It's called base pay! What other employer pays you a separate food allowance over and above your pay? Makes no sense to pay this, but definitely makes no sense to pay it to deployed people. I know, you're a SrA with four kids and a wife with a GED, so you NEED this money.

Chief_KO
01-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Neither is East St. Louis. But folks at Scott AFB aren't getting IDP for it.

But there's probably a Commanders policy letter on safety that advises no travel to ESL. IDP should also be paid at Nellis & Maxwell as well.
Ft Meade should receive IDP, HP, & COLA

CJSmith
01-05-2014, 02:06 PM
But there's probably a Commanders policy letter on safety that advises no travel to ESL. IDP should also be paid at Nellis & Maxwell as well.
Ft Meade should receive IDP, HP, & COLA

Lol, there is no policy letter that advises to stay out of an entire city. I know you're joking as well but my joke was there are far more places in good ole US of A that are more dangerous than places that receive IDP. East St. Louis being one of them.

Airborne
01-05-2014, 02:48 PM
It's already in your pay. It's called base pay! What other employer pays you a separate food allowance over and above your pay? Makes no sense to pay this, but definitely makes no sense to pay it to deployed people. I know, you're a SrA with four kids and a wife with a GED, so you NEED this money.

It's not in my pay. There is a separate line on my LES that says BAS $XXX.XX. Put the money in my base pay (even though it's taxed) so it goes against my retirement. Chief KO, I did not mention BAH at all in my previous post for specifically that reason, only BAS.

DocBones
01-05-2014, 03:02 PM
BAS is given to everyone in the AF? Really?

imported_KnuckleDragger
01-05-2014, 03:28 PM
BAS is given to everyone in the AF? Really?

BAS is given to those who don't live in the barracks. In the AF, this usually happens around the E-4 timeframe.

Don't Marines stay in the barracks until like E-6 or so?

DocBones
01-05-2014, 03:37 PM
While I was a member, for people below E6, if we weren't married, BAS/BAQ was something that you had to be married to acquire.

Are the chow halls so limited that y'all can't eat on base? Are there no barracks to live in?

imported_KnuckleDragger
01-05-2014, 04:26 PM
While I was a member, for people below E6, if we weren't married, BAS/BAQ was something that you had to be married to acquire.

Are the chow halls so limited that y'all can't eat on base? Are there no barracks to live in?

Dorm/barrack residency is usually the deciding factor at most bases. Keep in mind, there are a FEW more Airman than Marines.

BENDER56
01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
BAS is given to those who don't live in the barracks. In the AF, this usually happens around the E-4 timeframe.

Don't Marines stay in the barracks until like E-6 or so?

Actually, I think in the AF everyone gets BAS now. Even meal card holders (barracks dwellers who use the chow hall) get BAS but then they have it taken out of their pay. I think this change was made a few years ago because it made the $$ accounting easier for DFAS.

Maybe I'm wrong. Anybody else know about this?

Chief_KO
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
Dorm dwellers do not receive BAS only to have it taken back out. Under the food transformation initiative they can eat "free" for B/L/D at the DFAC or any FSS dining establishment. Just show their CAC, which is swiped.
Now, for those bases with privatized housing, BAH is paid then taken by allotment to the housing company. And yes, the same home can be "rented" to different ranks (based upon the sg ft # bedrooms authorized) meaning the rent varies by the renter's rank.

Chief_KO
01-05-2014, 08:00 PM
It's not in my pay. There is a separate line on my LES that says BAS $XXX.XX. Put the money in my base pay (even though it's taxed) so it goes against my retirement. Chief KO, I did not mention BAH at all in my previous post for specifically that reason, only BAS.

Understand your position, however it is an Allowance (not taxable). If DoD/Congress wishes to include the amount of BAS in your pay (either by raising all monthly pay by $xxx.xx or by only raising those entitled to BAS) they would never do it to increase one's pay...it will only be done to increase TAXABLE income. And if they did for BAS, then why not for BAH, Per Diem, and all other non-taxable allowances. History lesson: H. Ross Perot pitched this idea as part of his presidential campaign, so I would expect it to come around again...probably in the very near future.

The same argument is made regarding executive pay & benefits. Many executives have a low salary (that is taxable), but receive many perks (non taxable) like housing allowances, mileage or car reimbursement, stock options, etc. Of course there is a big difference between some Fortune 50 CEO base pay of $500K with $4.5M in annual perks and a SSgt's base pay of $37K with $15K in annual allowances.

Airborne
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Understand your position, however it is an Allowance (not taxable). If DoD/Congress wishes to include the amount of BAS in your pay (either by raising all monthly pay by $xxx.xx or by only raising those entitled to BAS) they would never do it to increase one's pay...it will only be done to increase TAXABLE income. And if they did for BAS, then why not for BAH, Per Diem, and all other non-taxable allowances. History lesson: H. Ross Perot pitched this idea as part of his presidential campaign, so I would expect it to come around again...probably in the very near future.

The same argument is made regarding executive pay & benefits. Many executives have a low salary (that is taxable), but receive many perks (non taxable) like housing allowances, mileage or car reimbursement, stock options, etc. Of course there is a big difference between some Fortune 50 CEO base pay of $500K with $4.5M in annual perks and a SSgt's base pay of $37K with $15K in annual allowances.

I dont care what the motivation would be taxes v increased pay. Im on the border about BAH considering how many different places one can live and varying housing markets. It does keep things fair. When it comes to other allowances I agree with most of them. Youre going to jump out of airplanes, yes here is some extra money. Youre going to be underwater in a submarine for months, here is some extra money. But all of those are 'pays', not allowances and are taxed. I just dont believe the government should be giving us money for food. Any corporation should be paying its employees enough to eat on and the way our retirement is set up, I want my "food money" in my base pay line. Of course I could just take the BAS and invest it before the internet financial advisors come out.

DocBones
01-06-2014, 01:10 AM
I was just asking, because I am very ignorant of how the AF decides on who gets BAS, which was was anwered. As to the BAH, when I was in the Corps, early years, as I recall it, nobody got either of those two, unless they were married, or E6 and above.

Back then, once, I was looking for some room at a stable, and there was a no vacancy sign hanging in front of it.

In the old Corps, we liked it that way, just fine! Now, let me get back to my bowl of gruel.

giggawatt
01-06-2014, 06:47 AM
This is horse shit! How am I supposed to save up for that new car for the rest of my 4 month deployment here? Thanks Obama.

loggie94
01-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Personally suprised Turkey didn't come of the list...and suprised Kuwait and a few others came off of it. While, day to day, the most dangerous thing there in Kuwait is the traffic (even that isn't as bad as some made it out to be), there ought to be some correlation to IDP and where we have air defense systems actively standing guard.

Rainmaker
01-06-2014, 09:03 PM

True story. Rainmaker was bit by a stray dog in the alley next to the spaghetti restaurant during Operation Provide Per Diem II. Had to get rabies shots. Contrary to popular beleef you don't get 279 shots in the stomach anymore. but, that pink stuff they give you in the ass on the 2nd and 3rd week of the series Is no joke.

Lastborncircle
01-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Dorm dwellers do not receive BAS only to have it taken back out. Under the food transformation initiative they can eat "free" for B/L/D at the DFAC or any FSS dining establishment. Just show their CAC, which is swiped.
Now, for those bases with privatized housing, BAH is paid then taken by allotment to the housing company. And yes, the same home can be "rented" to different ranks (based upon the sg ft # bedrooms authorized) meaning the rent varies by the renter's rank.

Yes they do Every AD Airman recieves BAS. Dorm dwellers recieve BAS, however, people who are supposed to eat in the DFAC (mostly dormers) have a line called "meal deduction" show up on their LES that per month, is about 30 dollars less than the BAS. So they bank about 30 bucks of it per month.
However, if a DFAS eater goes on Leave or TDY, the meal deduction is not deducted for those days.

akruse
01-07-2014, 12:45 AM
Yes they do Every AD Airman recieves BAS. Dorm dwellers recieve BAS, however, people who are supposed to eat in the DFAC (mostly dormers) have a line called "meal deduction" show up on their LES that per month, is about 30 dollars less than the BAS. So they bank about 30 bucks of it per month.
However, if a DFAS eater goes on Leave or TDY, the meal deduction is not deducted for those days.

Been this way for the last 15 years too.

imported_Sgt HULK
01-10-2014, 07:06 PM
ITT people who for years reaped the benefits of system demand system should be changed.

I recieved BAS for 20 years, now that im out this is BS take it away its a waste lol

DWWSWWD
01-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Frank's Franks has DEERS access. If you are military, you can eat there for free. You have to ask for it though.

sandsjames
01-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Frank's Franks has DEERS access. If you are military, you can eat there for free. You have to ask for it though.

You can also ask for a military discount at the BX and Commissary!

Juggs
01-10-2014, 10:27 PM

There are more bombings in russia than in Turkey yet we are sending our Olympians there.

BRUWIN
01-11-2014, 11:45 PM
This whole thing sucks. Everything we used to make fun of the Died for is slowly being taken away. Who can we aim our arrows at now?

loggie94
01-13-2014, 05:43 AM
BRUWIN... There are SOOO many things they can take away from the Died, and there will still be plenty to make fun of...

socal1200r
01-22-2014, 07:19 PM
The two key words in IDP are "imminent" and "danger". Unless you put your head down at night where either of these words can happen, then you shouldn't be drawing IDP. So Navy ships cruising around in the middle of the Persian Gulf, pilots flying thousands of feet in the air, then landing at air bases in comfy places like UAE, Qatar, etc., shouldn't get it either. Last I checked, al Qaeda and the Taliban didn't have an air force or navy...