PDA

View Full Version : Wright patterson, which access point for base decals?

garhkal
01-02-2014, 06:59 PM
After looking over the area A and B maps for wright patterson i can't see which of the 7 or so access points are used for acquiring base decals. Though mine is good till 2016, i need a new windshield, and as such will also have to get a new base decal. So which gate do i go to for the 'welcome center' (or what ever you guys call your base decal spot)??

Bunch
01-02-2014, 07:47 PM
After looking over the area A and B maps for wright patterson i can't see which of the 7 or so access points are used for acquiring base decals. Though mine is good till 2016, i need a new windshield, and as such will also have to get a new base decal. So which gate do i go to for the 'welcome center' (or what ever you guys call your base decal spot)??

Wow!! Air Force hasn't been issuing vehicle decals since 2007. Is that a local thing on WP?

Mcjohn1118
01-02-2014, 07:50 PM
We don't use decals at WP anymore. In fact the AF went away from them a few years back. To enter the base, present your dod affiliated ID to the entry controller. PM me if you need any help with any security related issues.

Mcjohn1118
01-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Wow!! Air Force hasn't been issuing vehicle decals since 2007. Is that a local thing on WP?

Nope, not a WP thing. However since we are a major base, a lot of Army and Navy folks transit through and ask us if we can renew their stickers.

LogDog
01-02-2014, 10:15 PM
Nope, not a WP thing. However since we are a major base, a lot of Army and Navy folks transit through and ask us if we can renew their stickers.
I know the AF did away with decals years ago and last year the Navy finally followed AF's lead and did away with the too. My Navy decal expired December 2013 and tomorrow I'll scrape it off when I wash and wax my car.

BRUWIN
01-02-2014, 11:51 PM
I miss the decals. Babes used to look for a DoD decal on your car and if you had one you were in like Flynn.

LogDog
01-03-2014, 02:12 AM
I miss the decals. Babes used to look for a DoD decal on your car and if you had one you were in like Flynn.
That explains why there are so many dependent whales married to servicemen.

Airborne
01-03-2014, 03:10 AM
I know the AF did away with decals years ago and last year the Navy finally followed AF's lead and did away with the too. My Navy decal expired December 2013 and tomorrow I'll scrape it off when I wash and wax my car.

Is this Navy wide? I went to Coronado last spring and rocked up with my ID card like I knew what I was doing and I had to stop and get a visitors pass because I didnt have a decal. So maybe that was Coronado specific since it's an island or just before they did away with it?

BOSS302
01-03-2014, 10:52 AM
That explains why there are so many dependent whales married to servicemen.

They are babes when they first meet the service member. Then, after about two years of Depandasaurus luxuries, they balloon in size.

efmbman
01-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Is this Navy wide? I went to Coronado last spring and rocked up with my ID card like I knew what I was doing and I had to stop and get a visitors pass because I didnt have a decal. So maybe that was Coronado specific since it's an island or just before they did away with it?

Last time I went to the sub base in Groton CT I had the same issue. It seems all except the Navy have done away with the decal.

It always seemed weird to me that we would get annual training on how to avoid being a target by terrorists yet regs required the decal on the car.

OtisRNeedleman
01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Last time I went to the sub base in Groton CT I had the same issue. It seems all except the Navy have done away with the decal.

It always seemed weird to me that we would get annual training on how to avoid being a target by terrorists yet regs required the decal on the car.

I regularly go to the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey with a car that has an expired Army base decal. Since I have to show my ID anyway there's no problem getting on base.

SomeRandomGuy
01-03-2014, 06:07 PM

One "conspiracy" theory I heard about decals was that they are a security risk. I heard from a friend of a friend that in non-military friendly areas people were bashing out car windows just because they had a base decal. Also it really isn't a good idea to have a decal that clearly states your DoD affiliation as well as a few other identifying factors. Decals on a vehicle is almost as dumb as the Army putting stickers on their Humvees with rank and last name in a war zone. I'm not sure if they still do that but I know they did when my brother was a convoy operator.

LogDog
01-03-2014, 06:24 PM
I live in Coronado and the policy went into effect in the summer. I asked one of the guards at the gate about the policy and he confirmed they did away with the base decals and you only needed your military ID.

BENDER56
01-03-2014, 07:03 PM
... in like Flynn.

Good one. That brought back so many memories for my great-grandfather when he read it just now.

garhkal
01-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Which i fall under (retired navy)..

So as long as i have an id, i don't need a base decal to get on WP.. Got it.