PDA

View Full Version : Snub to the New Secretary of the Air Force?

imported_Luke
12-25-2013, 02:04 PM
So the new Secretary of the Air Force is officially sworn in by her Administrative Aide, really? Was the SECDEF or VP too busy to recognized this achievement?

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20131223/NEWS05/312230011/James-officially-sworn-Air-Force-secretary

Chief_KO
12-27-2013, 11:42 AM
It is a little weird, but I don't believe someone has to be sworn in by "the hiring authority". Calvin Coolidge was sworn in as President by his father, a notary public. And a military member can be sworn in by any commissioned officer...
But, I think it is definitely a faux pax by the USAF and DoD.

imnohero
12-27-2013, 11:56 AM
hmm, it does seem a little odd. On the other hand, for all we know the photo was staged, or the photo caption is wrong. It's not like it would be the first time AF Public Affairs or AFTimes has made that sort of mistake.

Smeghead
12-27-2013, 12:49 PM
...It's not like it would be the first time AF Public Affairs or AFTimes has made that short of mistake.

Whereas you are absolutely perfect, 24 hours a day right?

imnohero
12-27-2013, 01:00 PM
Pointing out that something unusual may be the result of an error, as a possible alternative to an intentional "snub", is not implying that I am always correct. It is also possible that it is tradition for the Secretary to be sworn in by the Admin Assistant, for all I know.

Are you saying that you know for certain? If so, please enlighten us, rather than being a smart-ass.

LogDog
12-27-2013, 05:39 PM
The news story said it was "...at a private ceremony Friday in the Pentagon". Since it was a private ceremony it wouldn't be unreasonable to think this is what she requested. If this is the case, then it is not a "snub".

OtisRNeedleman
12-27-2013, 07:06 PM
Hate to be rude, but don't see where it makes any difference who swore in the SecAF. Long as she is sworn in legally, that's all that matters.

Juggs
12-27-2013, 07:45 PM
hmm, it does seem a little odd. On the other hand, for all we know the photo was staged, or the photo caption is wrong. It's not like it would be the first time AF Public Affairs or AFTimes has made that sort of mistake.

I say NAY. Military times is a flawless new source.

Gonzo432
12-27-2013, 08:40 PM
If it was private, why were there photographers? If your new job requires senate approval, its kind of a big deal. I vote for snub.

Cookie Monster
12-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Maybe this is the equivalent of an enlisted person re-upping with a random officer in a conference room. Some people just don't want a big fuss surrounding themselves.

LogDog
12-27-2013, 10:12 PM
If it was private, why were there photographers? If your new job requires senate approval, its kind of a big deal. I vote for snub.
Perhaps because the DoD wants to document the swearing-in ceremony. If she has a problem with the ceremony then she can tells us she has a problem. Until then, I see no problem other than someone trying to make something out of nothing.

Sergeant eNYgma
12-31-2013, 03:31 PM
Meh.......a new person to not read emails from....joy....

retiredAFcivvy
12-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Probably just a stupid observance, but I did find it interesting there was no mention of her or her position in the big AF Times, 30 Dec, article about what should be known about 2014.

Brewhound
01-03-2014, 01:32 PM
You know they really have to bring a souless hatchet man in to take the wheel of this sinking ship.