PDA

View Full Version : The Dynasty is dead

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Sadly, the popular story of the day is being ignored. Why did A&E allow themselves to be bullied by the intolerant group GLAD that thinks it speaks for less than 3% of the American population for the honest and gental opion of a Christian? He wasnt being hateful in what he said. He wasnt be derogatory. He gave his personal opinion and didnt try to throw in any pseudo-science reasoning to make his belief seem factual. So why is A&E risking losing all this money because the leftist group GLAD is intolerant?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/19/is-duck-dynasty-goose-cooked-can-show-go-on-without-phil-robertson/

TJMAC77SP
12-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Sadly, the popular story of the day is being ignored. Why did A&E allow themselves to be bullied by the intolerant group GLAD that thinks it speaks for less than 3% of the American population for the honest and gental opion of a Christian? He wasnt being hateful in what he said. He wasnt be derogatory. He gave his personal opinion and didnt try to throw in any pseudo-science reasoning to make his belief seem factual. So why is A&E risking losing all this money because the leftist group GLAD is intolerant?

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/19/is-duck-dynasty-goose-cooked-can-show-go-on-without-phil-robertson/

As I was reading the article even before I read it I was thinking of that giant doucheturd asshat Dog the (so-called) Bounty Hunter. He is still on the air.

As for A&E losing ad revenue............how many members of GLAD does anyone really think watch Duck Dynasty.

Tempest in a teapot as usual.

imnohero
12-19-2013, 06:41 PM
How is this being ignored? It was on every morning news show either yesterday or today. A&E is just protecting their revenue stream, as the old saying goes, "it's just business."

efmbman
12-19-2013, 06:42 PM
If the story is popular, how can it also be ignored?

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-19-2013, 06:50 PM
How is this being ignored? It was on every morning news show either yesterday or today. A&E is just protecting their revenue stream, as the old saying goes, "it's just business."

I was talking about this forum.

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-19-2013, 06:53 PM
This seems like a total setup to get the most rated show off the air because it was not centered around liberal views. Did anyone really question what Phil's views were on homosexuality? GQ knew what the response was going to be. I dont watch the show because I deplore "reality" shows, but this seems like its just the lefties throwing their media power around to get rid of something very popular that was Christian based and not liberal.

efmbman
12-19-2013, 07:03 PM
Do you think that this show posed such a threat to the liberal establishment that it was targeted for elimination? Is this the first of many such actions...? Or are all the other shows sufficiently liberal? Is The Walking Dead next?

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-19-2013, 07:13 PM
Do you think that this show posed such a threat to the liberal establishment that it was targeted for elimination? Is this the first of many such actions...? Or are all the other shows sufficiently liberal? Is The Walking Dead next?

I actually think the walking dead is more Liberal leaning than you might think. Everyone works. Everyone gets the same things. Everyone gets the same treatment. Rick was "bad" when he had all the power. But then again, the utopion society works well in a small group. But if its not apolitical, its liberal more than conservative.

But yes, being as the liberals have been using media, hollywood, and TV to promote their agenda for decades now, having a conservative Christian show do so well could lead to the targeting of the show for termination. Only 3% of Americans polled have claimed to be LBGT, but yet it is glorified in just about every new show coming out. From Modern Family, to Ground Floor, to even The Walking Dead have some form of homosexual contents in them. Why is that? Because as long as people see it on TV, then they start to accept it as the norm. Just like 16 and Pregnant was being glamorized to be a teenage single mother.

kool-aid
12-19-2013, 07:14 PM

I'm pretty sure there is no religious tone to The Walking Dead, so it's probably safe. But Duck Dynasty is one of, or maybe the only show, that still shows appreciate to biblical values. And there are some, many according to ratings, like appearantly like that quality. I know it impressed me that they are not afraid to speak on their beliefs on and off the show.

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Remeber how every Black show like fresh prince and Family matters had that token White person that showed up from time to time. They were usually idiots or mean or both. The shows like Full House and Growing Pains had the token Black person, but they always seemed to be insightful and caring and generous. The TV industry has been catering to PC stereotypes for a long time now.

imnohero
So you're saying it's a vast left wing conspiracy?

efmbman
Interesting points of view, thanks. I do not agree, but I certainly respect your points of view. What other shows may be in jeopardy?

I have 3 kids under 9 years old, so I don't get much input on what is on the television.

TJMAC77SP
12-19-2013, 08:14 PM
This seems like a total setup to get the most rated show off the air because it was not centered around liberal views. Did anyone really question what Phil's views were on homosexuality? GQ knew what the response was going to be. I dont watch the show because I deplore "reality" shows, but this seems like its just the lefties throwing their media power around to get rid of something very popular that was Christian based and not liberal.

Come on WJ. I actually think almost any network would broadcast live executions if they thought they could get away with it.

AFcynic
12-19-2013, 08:28 PM
HEY! I love The Walking Dead. I've never once thought about any political overtones watching that show.

I can honestly say I've never watched a single episode of Duck Dynasty. I'm sure it's entertaining, but it's just not the type of show I would watch because it doesn't fall in line with what I personally believe.

With that being said, Mr. Robertson was set up for failure. The man is entitled to his opinion, and if you're going to provide him with a forum to express those personal opinions, you have to be prepared for the fallout. GQ was looking for a sensational story to increase the sales of their magazine. They set up an undereducated, self-admitted "white trash" Southerner to speak on social matters. What did they think was going to happen? A&E, the Robertson's PR firm, and GQ are all to blame here.

The interviewer knew what he was doing, and he made Mr. Robertson out to be the bad guy. The same thing would happen if you asked an undereducated gangbanger loaded questions regarding social matters. I'm not going to give my opinion on the validity of his comments because it's irrelevant. You can agree/disagree with him, but this guy is being treated like a pariah for falling victim to some wise-a$$ interviewer.

kool-aid
12-19-2013, 08:48 PM
They set up an undereducated, self-admitted "white trash" Southerner to speak on social matters. What did they think was going to happen? A&E, the Robertson's PR firm, and GQ are all to blame here.

He has master's degree in education - for whatever that's worth.

TJMAC77SP
12-19-2013, 08:48 PM
OK NOW I KNOW THIS IS TOTAL BULLSHIT !!!!!!!!!!!

When I first read this thread I hadn't found a story which contained a quote of Robertson's ACTUAL words but suspected it wasn't going to be as bad as painted. Especially when I read one article that said he compared homosexuality to bestiality.

Ok folks here is a quote of his ACTUAL words.

"Start with homosexual behavior and just morph from there," Robertson, 67, said when asked what is sinful. "Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

Let me make a comparison.

Interviewer: Mac, what do you consider illegal behavior?"

Mac: "Well, I suppose I would say murder and move on to theft, fraud, speeding, etc"

WAIT !!!! HAS MAC JUST COMPARED MURDER TO SPEEDING ?!?!?!

Here is a very inconvenient FACT. Many religions consider homosexual behavior to be prohibited. The Jewish faith prohibits tattoos, Jews also (and Catholics used to) prohibit cremation. There is a myriad of practices which are not universally held, particularly by the growing numbers of those of us who aren’t particularly religious in one faith or another. Are we to completely malign anyone who follows a belief simply because we don’t hold it? The Orthodox Jew may look askew at a tattooed woman (and definitely doesn’t want his son to bring her home) but as long as he treats her with the respect we all deserve has he done any wrong. I haven’t seen any reporting of Robertson ACTING inappropriately towards anyone. In the interest of full disclosure, I have never watched an episode of the show and don’t plan to.

Personally I really don’t care what a person’s sexual orientation is. I don’t want to hear about their homosexual adventures any more than I want to hear of someone’s heterosexual activities (that phase passed in my early 20’s).

However I will ALWAYS defend a person’s rights to hold a certain belief. Particularly if they temper that when actually dealing with those who practice what they don’t agree with.

Here are Robertson’s words of explanation when confronted with this most definite tempest in a teapot…..

"I myself am a product of the 60s; I centered my life around sex, drugs and rock and roll until I hit rock bottom and accepted Jesus as my Savior. My mission today is to go forth and tell people about why I follow Christ and also what the bible teaches, and part of that teaching is that women and men are meant to be together. However, I would never treat anyone with disrespect just because they are different from me. We are all created by the Almighty and like Him, I love all of humanity. We would all be better off if we loved God and loved each other."

TJMAC77SP
12-19-2013, 08:52 PM
He has master's degree in education - for whatever that's worth.

There is this completely moronic belief that a southern accent equals uneducated in-bred mouth breathers.

I REALLY LOVE this when it comes from the mouth of a New Yorker or Bostonian.

One of my favorite shows is Boston's Finest but I would pick any of those folks as an orator for any reason. And Boston's mayor is at the top of that list...........Mumbles Menino.

(BTW: I grew up in Boston so know of what I speak).

AJBIGJ
12-19-2013, 08:55 PM
I would say A&E killed "Duck Dynasty" about as effectively as NBC killed "Howard Stern" and Fox killed "Family Guy". If the producers retain intellectual property rights of some variety via the civil courts, I intend to look real hard at which network picks them up and consider heavily investing in some shares. For the record, I have never seen the show, may never In the future, but after all of the free advertising this show has gotten in the past two days, when this process plays out it may come away with ten times the following it had previously,

sandsjames
12-19-2013, 09:03 PM
Are there actually any liberals or gays that watch Duck Dynasty? I'd say very few, if any. It's amazing how free speech is another right that is being taken away from us. The only speech allowed anymore is "I love you, I love them, I love everybody". It's pathetic. I'd love to see all the liberal shows with their intolerant "hate" speech get the same attention.

SomeRandomGuy
12-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Have you guys ever seen this? I think it is an interesting piece about how people use the bible to oppose homosexuality yet condone other sins.

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted discipled and adoring fan.

kool-aid
12-19-2013, 10:31 PM
I love it when people use the old testament as an argument over Christianity, even though the new testament sets the new covenant, rules, for christians. Yes the old ways are in the bible, just as you can still read about old laws that were amended later in our legal system. The old testament is for historical background, but those rules no longer apply.

SgtS
12-19-2013, 11:08 PM
Are there actually any liberals or gays that watch Duck Dynasty? I'd say very few, if any. It's amazing how free speech is another right that is being taken away from us. The only speech allowed anymore is "I love you, I love them, I love everybody". It's pathetic. I'd love to see all the liberal shows with their intolerant "hate" speech get the same attention.

Just a quick Constitutional lesson on the First Amendment:

The Constitution protects individuals from the GOVERNMENT regulation of speech. It does NOT protect individuals from private businesses from doing so.

This is why Alec Baldwin and Martin Bashir were also recently fired over their own asinine comments.

Robinson was exercising his freedom of speech, A&E exercised theirs in response. It's just that simple.

imnohero
12-20-2013, 12:14 AM
Are there actually any liberals or gays that watch Duck Dynasty?

Apparently no one from here watches it either.

imported_MERC8401
12-20-2013, 12:37 AM
None of what most of you are saying matters. He had a right to say and express his opinion to the interviewer of the GQ magazine...and A&E had a right to pull him from their show. It has nothing to do with a right or left leaning agenda. This is capitalism. No one owes this Duck Dynasty guy anything. This is how our society works...like it or not.

sandsjames
12-20-2013, 12:47 AM
Just a quick Constitutional lesson on the First Amendment:

The Constitution protects individuals from the GOVERNMENT regulation of speech. It does NOT protect individuals from private businesses from doing so.

This is why Alec Baldwin and Martin Bashir were also recently fired over their own asinine comments.

Robinson was exercising his freedom of speech, A&E exercised theirs in response. It's just that simple.

Thank you for teaching me a lesson, Sir!

sandsjames
12-20-2013, 12:51 AM
None of what most of you are saying matters. He had a right to say and express his opinion to the interviewer of the GQ magazine...and A&E had a right to pull him from their show. It has nothing to do with a right or left leaning agenda. This is capitalism. No one owes this Duck Dynasty guy anything. This is how our society works...like it or not.

A&E will lose out on this one. The Duck Dynasty guys are as rich as they will ever need to be. A&E will lose the majority of their viewers.

Either way, I don't care about either side. I just think people are way too protective and politically correct about all this shit. The guy thinks gay is wrong, so he says so. The media jumps on it because, let's be honest, as mostly left wingers they want to be seen as standing up for gays.

What's even more sad is that any of this is a story. I've never seen the show, or any show like it. The fact that people put so much importance on what some hick has to say is ridiculous. There have to be better stories that "news" programs can report on.

CYBERFX1024
12-20-2013, 02:10 AM
I have watched a couple episodes but honestly it's not for me. It is funny, but it is kinda stupid as well and I don't know if it is real or fake. But I do believe he was asked a loaded question that the reporter knew what the answer would be, but he just asked it to raise some controversy. I know a lot of people that watch the show and love it because it promotes actual down home God fearing values. Which has been rather lacking on television the last couple years.

I just hate how everyone is blowing up about it, it's like the whole chick fila bs. It only made their sales go up because people went out to support them when the so called "tolerant" left wing media went full blast on them. I honestly hate how everyone the last couple of years are bowing down and worshiping the LGBT community, like whatever they do is right and never wrong. I am not railing against gay people because my best friend is gay, and I am going to be one of her bridesmaids (I know I know how it sounds). But it sucks how people voice their opinions respectfully and people want to throw them to the wolfs.

I do believe that Duck Dynasty will come out on top on this one.

CYBERFX1024
12-20-2013, 02:11 AM
A&E will lose out on this one. The Duck Dynasty guys are as rich as they will ever need to be. A&E will lose the majority of their viewers.

Either way, I don't care about either side. I just think people are way too protective and politically correct about all this shit. The guy thinks gay is wrong, so he says so. The media jumps on it because, let's be honest, as mostly left wingers they want to be seen as standing up for gays.

What's even more sad is that any of this is a story. I've never seen the show, or any show like it. The fact that people put so much importance on what some hick has to say is ridiculous. There have to be better stories that "news" programs can report on.

This "Hick" is a down home person and values his family. That is why people watch the show. They are sick and tired of seeing all the East/West coast bs and actually want to see something made for the fly over states. Another reason is because EVERYONE in the family can watch this show from the kids to the adults. There is no cussing or carrying on in this show.

imported_MERC8401
12-20-2013, 03:11 AM
From what I can tell A&E isn't losing anything...it's all anybody is talking about. But I'd like to ask any of Phil's supporters this...where is your support for people of Westboro Baptist Church? Would you hire them to represent your company or brand? If you found out one of your employees was a member of that church...would you maintain them as an employee? I know that what Phil said is nothing compared to the WBC, but it comes down to the same thing. And it shows how biased some people really are. I don't think A&E handled it properly...but I don't own that company and I don't have a say in what they do. So I do like most Americans in that situation and mind my own damn business...or simply take my business else where.

CYBERFX1024
12-20-2013, 03:39 AM
From what I can tell A&E isn't losing anything...it's all anybody is talking about. But I'd like to ask any of Phil's supporters this...where is your support for people of Westboro Baptist Church? Would you hire them to represent your company or brand? If you found out one of your employees was a member of that church...would you maintain them as an employee? I know that what Phil said is nothing compared to the WBC, but it comes down to the same thing. And it shows how biased some people really are. I don't think A&E handled it properly...but I don't own that company and I don't have a say in what they do. So I do like most Americans in that situation and mind my own damn business...or simply take my business else where.

How does that church even compare with what he said and why are you referring to them in the same sentence as him? All he did was voice his opinion on a subject. He did not go to someone's funeral and protest saying "thank God you are dead or you are going to hell".

SomeAFdude
12-20-2013, 04:21 AM

It DOESN'T come down to the same thing. It's not even in the same fucking ballpark. It was AN OPINION, not a fucking God hates fags banner. Also he did follow it up with saying it was HIS opinion but he is not the final judge. I hope A&E loses millions from this shitstorm. This PC culture needs to fucking die already.

imported_MERC8401
12-20-2013, 05:01 AM
How does that church even compare with what he said and why are you referring to them in the same sentence as him? All he did was voice his opinion on a subject. He did not go to someone's funeral and protest saying "thank God you are dead or you are going to hell".

It DOESN'T come down to the same thing. It's not even in the same fucking ballpark. It was AN OPINION, not a fucking God hates fags banner. Also he did follow it up with saying it was HIS opinion but he is not the final judge. I hope A&E loses millions from this shitstorm. This PC culture needs to fucking die already.

It compares and does come down to the same thing. Phil expressed his opinion by saying that God says homosexuality is a sin and the WBC expresses their opinion by saying the same thing, except they say God is punishing us for allowing homosexuality. The only difference between the two is that both of you probably agree with Phil's opinion and not the WBC. See you can't just stand up for freedom of speech only when the speech being spoken is something you agree with.

Vrake
12-20-2013, 11:42 AM
It compares and does come down to the same thing. Phil expressed his opinion by saying that God says homosexuality is a sin and the WBC expresses their opinion by saying the same thing, except they say God is punishing us for allowing homosexuality. The only difference between the two is that both of you probably agree with Phil's opinion and not the WBC. See you can't just stand up for freedom of speech only when the speech being spoken is something you agree with.

Phil gave his "opinion" when asked a question.

The WBC actively protests in public and spew their hate everywhere hoping they get sued since the head of the cult is a lawyer. Both should have the same freedom of speech for sure. Right or wrong the WBC spews hate first for the shock value.

The Duck guys can get fired and not miss a beat. Willie the CEO is worth like 25 million. The were better on the outdoor network anyway when the show was all about hunting. Not canned like it is now.

sandsjames
12-20-2013, 12:11 PM

What Phil said is what is written in the bible. He also mentioned the same thing about guys who sleep around with a bunch of women. Hell, he even mentioned greed, which I'm sure he feels he falls into. He then said that he doesn't have the final judgment. The WBC seems to think they are judge, jury, and executioner.

kool-aid
12-20-2013, 01:30 PM

Not even near the same thing Jack! There was no hate in what he said, a decent christian loves everyone, even if they sin. It's a good thing too sin most of us do sinful things.

imported_MERC8401
12-20-2013, 02:03 PM
What Phil said is what is written in the bible. He also mentioned the same thing about guys who sleep around with a bunch of women. Hell, he even mentioned greed, which I'm sure he feels he falls into. He then said that he doesn't have the final judgment. The WBC seems to think they are judge, jury, and executioner.

I'm sure if you asked the WBC they would say that what they spew is in the bible too. I'm not trying to get into a religious argument with you....this is simply an argument about freedom of speech and how people who pretend to be for freedom of speech....truly only mean when that speech is something they too stand behind or believe in. See freedom of speech is a double edged sword....we get to say what the hell we want...however we suffer the consequences. All I'm saying is that it's alright to be pissed that your boy Phil got dropped from the show...but don't make it out to be that his freedom of speech was stomped on.

Not even near the same thing Jack! There was no hate in what he said, a decent christian loves everyone, even if they sin. It's a good thing too sin most of us do sinful things.

And it is the same thing "Jack". Number 1...it doesn't matter whether it was hateful or not. My point was that if you are going to support one persons freedom to speak their opinion then you need to stand up for everyone...not just people you side with. Number 2...who are you to speak to whether what he said was hateful or not? Because it didn't apply to you? You have no idea what would be considered hurtful to other people.

If I came out on national TV or in print and said...I hate "faggots"...I think they should all go to hell...then you would see a problem with that...and would no doubt praise any employer I had who fired me. But if I came out and said..."the bible says being homosexual is wrong and a sin", then you would see nothing wrong with that because I spoke from the bible? It's saying the same thing...in both sentences...just hiding behind the bible and my so called religion when I say the second one.

But the difference between me and you when it comes to those two sentences...is that I believe that both can be said...in the public...on TV...in newspapers...and both can be rightfully fired and trashed in the media for saying them.

Nobody said that freedom of speech prevents consequences for what's been said.

sandsjames
12-20-2013, 03:16 PM
I'm sure if you asked the WBC they would say that what they spew is in the bible too. I'm not trying to get into a religious argument with you....this is simply an argument about freedom of speech and how people who pretend to be for freedom of speech....truly only mean when that speech is something they too stand behind or believe in. See freedom of speech is a double edged sword....we get to say what the hell we want...however we suffer the consequences. All I'm saying is that it's alright to be pissed that your boy Phil got dropped from the show...but don't make it out to be that his freedom of speech was stomped on.

And it is the same thing "Jack". Number 1...it doesn't matter whether it was hateful or not. My point was that if you are going to support one persons freedom to speak their opinion then you need to stand up for everyone...not just people you side with. Number 2...who are you to speak to whether what he said was hateful or not? Because it didn't apply to you? You have no idea what would be considered hurtful to other people.

If I came out on national TV or in print and said...I hate "faggots"...I think they should all go to hell...then you would see a problem with that...and would no doubt praise any employer I had who fired me. But if I came out and said..."the bible says being homosexual is wrong and a sin", then you would see nothing wrong with that because I spoke from the bible? It's saying the same thing...in both sentences...just hiding behind the bible and my so called religion when I say the second one.

But the difference between me and you when it comes to those two sentences...is that I believe that both can be said...in the public...on TV...in newspapers...and both can be rightfully fired and trashed in the media for saying them.

My boy Phil??? As I said, I've never seen the show, or any other "reality" show on that channel. This isn't about what he said, this is about the overreaction to what he said and the fear people have of someone, somewhere, possibly being offended.

And you seem to really be taking this whole thing personally. You don't know what the difference between you and me is, because you don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

What I said is that A&E is going to suffer worse from this than the Duck Dynasty guys because the channel needs the show more than the guys do.

TJMAC77SP
12-20-2013, 05:53 PM

"I hate "faggots"...I think they should all go to hell..."

"the bible says being homosexual is wrong and a sin..."

You REALLY see no difference in those two statements?

EDIT: It was a rhetorical question since you equate what Robertson said to the actions of the WBC.

Maybe someone can chime in without emotional hyperbole.

Stalwart
12-20-2013, 06:06 PM
What I said is that A&E is going to suffer worse from this than the Duck Dynasty guys because the channel needs the show more than the guys do.

Concur.

I read the participants will not take part if the ban continues; I wonder if another network would offer them a show if A&E cancelled the show outright.

Stalwart
12-20-2013, 06:12 PM

Sometimes it is not what you say, but how you say it.

This issue has hypocrisy on all sides. A TV personality is interviewed, speaks his mind, offending plenty of people. There's an outcry. The network who is responsible for his current state of fame decides they don't like the outcry. Now there's indignation from the Conservative-equals-Christianity crowd. What? All of the sudden, market driven economics is bad? Both he and A&E should have known better; there should be no surprise to any of this.

FuelShopTech
12-20-2013, 06:29 PM
It was all just a marketing ploy.

It's a week before Christmas, people. The only thing that is going to happen is the "I don't like homosexuals either," crowd is going to run out and buy all of that "Duck Dynasty" crap they have on the shelves at Wal-Mart. Personally, I've seen the show exactly once. I thought it was utterly stupid (some guy ate raccoon turds). Sorry, but I guess I'm intolerant of the "redneck = cool" mentality, and, if I had kids, I wouldn't let them watch that nonsense.

The dude has every right to state his opinion and A&E, as a private corporation, has every right to give him the boot. I predict that a garbage reality show will have no greater socio-political impact what-so-ever, and this entire story will blow over in a week.

CYBERFX1024
12-20-2013, 06:54 PM

Actually I am torn on the subject. But my best friend is a Lesbian who is getting married next year and I am going to be one of her "brides maids" and I am a guy. I support her and whatever she does.

sandsjames
12-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Actually I am torn on the subject. But my best friend is a Lesbian who is getting married next year and I am going to be one of her "brides maids" and I am a guy. I support her and whatever she does.

And this is relevant to the conversation how?

Rizzo77
12-21-2013, 01:49 AM
It was all just a marketing ploy.

It's a week before Christmas, people. The only thing that is going to happen is the "I don't like homosexuals either," crowd is going to run out and buy all of that "Duck Dynasty" crap they have on the shelves at Wal-Mart. Personally, I've seen the show exactly once. I thought it was utterly stupid (some guy ate raccoon turds). Sorry, but I guess I'm intolerant of the "redneck = cool" mentality, and, if I had kids, I wouldn't let them watch that nonsense.

The dude has every right to state his opinion and A&E, as a private corporation, has every right to give him the boot. I predict that a garbage reality show will have no greater socio-political impact what-so-ever, and this entire story will blow over in a week.

Hot damn, sister; we are of a like mind.

This is the greatest ad campaign in history. Think about it: generate a major controversy right before the marathon of the show.

I'm not watching. I never watched the show before, and I'm not going to watch it now.

This is the second worst abomination perpetrated on the American people; unfortunately, it pales in comparison to the nonsense that forced resident obama on the country.

Slyoldawg
12-21-2013, 02:00 AM
While I watch the show and enjoy it quite a bit although I realize that all the shows are fake. I am from South Louisiana and realize they show swamp, alligators, crawfish and nutria as if they were in south Louisiana swamps. I've been to W Monroe where the show is filmed and most of it is fake and the gomers of the country take the show as gospel and true. I only started watching it this season because they made so much noise about it. Some were funny, some boring and most all were faked bullshit. Phil, the old man who was banned claims to have been first quarterback at LA Tech with Terry Bradshaw as his backup. That alone should have the old fart banned from TV. I still watch the show though. :headbang:.

Bunch
12-21-2013, 05:31 AM
No hate in the man's words some people here say... His not casting judgement on other people here say...

Well lets hear it from the man himself back in 2010...

http://youtu.be/xyP_2fS1A04

So according to him gay people are:

Full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, god-haters. They are heartless. They are faithless. They are senseless. They are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil."

Seems to me there is a lot of hate and judgement being cast in that statement.

It saddens me to a point because I really enjoy the show but for some reason I always suspected that this show was going to end on something like this. IMO they are a very good family that do a lot of good for people in their community and probably around the entire country. I will not like for people to judge them just for this without knowing all the other productive things they do.

Bunch
12-21-2013, 06:02 AM

I bet you find many liberals who watch the show. Just a quick glance at the liberal blogs and you can find a some people with conflicting opinions about the whole thing.

Bunch
12-21-2013, 06:06 AM

Have you watched the 2010 video?

TJMAC77SP
12-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Have you watched the 2010 video?

I think he was attributing those traits to ALL OF US (Godless behavior, one example of which, in his mind is homosexuality).

No doubt he holds extreme Christian beliefs.

TJMAC77SP
12-21-2013, 02:06 PM
I bet you find many liberals who watch the show. Just a quick glance at the liberal blogs and you can find a some people with conflicting opinions about the whole thing.

What are the dates of those blog posts? I have seen more of the show and its stars over the last few days than ever before and not one source was A&E.

I am not surprised that some liberals have conflicting opinions about the remarks. Many conservatives probably do as well. I won't speak for the whole club but while I think the views extreme he does have the right to his beliefs. I have a feeling that he would think most of us are going to Hell.

Free speech is allowing (and defending the rights of) those whose views you find abhorrent to speak their mind not just parroting the words of those you agree with. The remarks quoted in the GQ article were blown out of proportion to make a point. A tactic often used by one group trying to vilify another. I take exception to that.

I took great offense to Bill Maher’s remarks in the wake of 9/11. I still take offense as he is still trying to defend the remarks all these years later. He certainly has the right to his asshattery and I have the right to not watch his show or any other endeavor he undertakes. Simple exercise of free speech.

Bunch
12-21-2013, 02:32 PM
I think he was attributing those traits to ALL OF US (Godless behavior, one example of which, in his mind is homosexuality).

No doubt he holds extreme Christian beliefs.

I disagree totally and I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. There is no question that he was talking exclusively about gays on the 2010 comments. The bottomline is thay he is a gay hater that has apparently used many platforms to spout the hate he has for homosexuals. I think the comparison that the other poster was making with his comments and the way the WBC approaches the issue is not that far off.

imnohero
12-21-2013, 02:54 PM
I took great offense to Bill Maher’s remarks in the wake of 9/11. I still take offense as he is still trying to defend the remarks all these years later. He certainly has the right to his asshattery and I have the right to not watch his show or any other endeavor he undertakes. Simple exercise of free speech.

Yep, and Robertson has a right to his views and to speak them. People that don't like it have a right to object. A&E has a right to kick him off the show. You have a right to object to A&E.

Free speech and free markets have consequences, in this case, Robertson gets kicked off the show. Who knows, maybe A&E will lose the rest of the cast, and the show, and the ad revenue. That's what happens in the free market. It seems to me what you are objecting to are the consequences of free speech, not the speech itself.

TJMAC77SP
12-21-2013, 03:19 PM
I disagree totally and I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. There is no question that he was talking exclusively about gays on the 2010 comments. The bottomline is thay he is a gay hater that has apparently used many platforms to spout the hate he has for homosexuals. I think the comparison that the other poster was making with his comments and the way the WBC approaches the issue is not that far off.

Why is someone who thinks someone is committing a sin automatically thought to 'hate' those people. Hate is a very strong word which gets thrown around too loosely. Much like hero.

While I am sure it serves your purpose to equate Robertson's words about his religious beliefs to the actions of the WBC until I see Robertson or his clan protesting at a fallen soldier's funeral or holding up a sign at Walter Reed that states the wounded deserve what they got it is not even a close comparison.

TJMAC77SP
12-21-2013, 03:25 PM
Yep, and Robertson has a right to his views and to speak them. People that don't like it have a right to object. A&E has a right to kick him off the show. You have a right to object to A&E.

Free speech and free markets have consequences, in this case, Robertson gets kicked off the show. Who knows, maybe A&E will lose the rest of the cast, and the show, and the ad revenue. That's what happens in the free market. It seems to me what you are objecting to are the consequences of free speech, not the speech itself.

No, I object to his quotes about homosexuality in the GQ article being blown out of proportion and used as an excuse for the 'suspension'. I think FuelTech may be on to something about it being a PR stunt. Given their continued support of the Fucktard Asshat known as Dog I have a hard time seeing them as some standing on some moral high ground. Of course to those who have an agenda, A&E is now the savior of all that is decent. I think it is a furtherance of free speech to disagree with A&E's actions and statements.

sandsjames
12-21-2013, 03:41 PM
Why is someone who thinks someone is committing a sin automatically thought to 'hate' those people. Hate is a very strong word which gets thrown around too loosely. Much like hero.

While I am sure it serves your purpose to equate Robertson's words about his religious beliefs to the actions of the WBC until I see Robertson or his clan protesting at a fallen soldier's funeral or holding up a sign at Walter Reed that states the wounded deserve what they got it is not even a close comparison.

Great point. It's become "wrong" to state a belief. It is instantly called hate, as you say. I can have gay friends and still disagree with their lifestyle just as I can have straight friends who sleep around with everyone and disagree with their lifestyle. It's a shame that disagreements about morals has turned into something that instantly labels the person as a hating a group.

imnohero
12-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Of course A&E isn't standing on "high moral ground"...they are looking out for their own profit interests. It has nothing to do with morals or ethics or anything remotely like that. They don't care about "free speech" or rights. They don't care about anyone's "agenda." All they care about is how much money they can make, which explains why Dog is still on the air. If putting Robertson back on makes them more money, they will put him back on the air... you can bet on it, whether anyone objects or not.

Bunch
12-21-2013, 05:17 PM

When someone claims a certain group to be "god haters" then I think is fair game to call that person to be making a hateful claim. On the video Robertson clearly call gay people "god haters" even though I personally know many God loving gay people.

The point I was trying to make is that Robertson is closer to the WBC approach to the gay message than he is to be a tolerant all people loving man. I see people here that get all mad when Sharpton and Jackson make statements based on the bible that promote their beliefs but when is someone that is closely aligns to the conservative ideology that dominates this board then its all good, true and valid.

I'm always skeptical of the those that hide behind the bible to try to make a point.

TJMAC77SP
12-21-2013, 08:36 PM
When someone claims a certain group to be "god haters" then I think is fair game to call that person to be making a hateful claim. On the video Robertson clearly call gay people "god haters" even though I personally know many God loving gay people.

The point I was trying to make is that Robertson is closer to the WBC approach to the gay message than he is to be a tolerant all people loving man. I see people here that get all mad when Sharpton and Jackson make statements based on the bible that promote their beliefs but when is someone that is closely aligns to the conservative ideology that dominates this board then its all good, true and valid.

I'm always skeptical of the those that hide behind the bible to try to make a point.

I wouldn't argue against your skepticism. That hasn't been my point at all.

So if I claim that a particular group hates another particular group, then I, by default hate the original group? Not sure I follow that logic. But, as I said, I think the word gets overused.

Bunch
12-21-2013, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't argue against your skepticism. That hasn't been my point at all.

So if I claim that a particular group hates another particular group, then I, by default hate the original group? Not sure I follow that logic. But, as I said, I think the word gets overused.

But this is not about groups its about individuals. This is about Mr. Robertson using the bible to promote hate and intolerance. Not all Christians promote hate or judge others, the type of attitude and comments that Mr. Robertson subscribes himself to is a reflection only of himself and the environment he grew up. I'm pretty sure that even inside his family there are members that don't necessarily agree with his comments.

kool-aid
12-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Of course A&E isn't standing on "high moral ground"...they are looking out for their own profit interests. It has nothing to do with morals or ethics or anything remotely like that. They don't care about "free speech" or rights. They don't care about anyone's "agenda." All they care about is how much money they can make, which explains why Dog is still on the air. If putting Robertson back on makes them more money, they will put him back on the air... you can bet on it, whether anyone objects or not.

If they were looking out for their own profits interests, they would have just apologized for his crude way of stating his ideas but not suspended him. The show brings them buttloads of money, and the loss of gays watching it, if they even do, would not equate to a huge profit loss.

Cookie Monster
12-21-2013, 09:14 PM
the loss of gays watching it, if they even do, would not equate to a huge profit loss.

Only gay people would theoretically stop watching the show?

kool-aid
12-21-2013, 09:19 PM
Great point. It's become "wrong" to state a belief. It is instantly called hate, as you say. I can have gay friends and still disagree with their lifestyle just as I can have straight friends who sleep around with everyone and disagree with their lifestyle. It's a shame that disagreements about morals has turned into something that instantly labels the person as a hating a group.

I agree, I have friends who are gay, but I don't agree with their life choice, in fact I find it quite gross. I don't beat them down, in fact I am always kind to them when they talk about their partner. But as a christian, I still think it's a sinful way to live, just like if I had a friend who was an alcoholic, a whoremonger, a habitual liar, an adulterer. I don't hate any of these people, but I do find the way they decide to live to be sad in the eyes of God. He would never turn them away from heaven for being sinful, only if they did not believe he is who he is, but that applies to everyone (at least in my understanding of the bible).

And again, none of us is perfect by any means. I'm a sinner. The difference is do you care to try to change or do you just do sinful things with no remorse. I try to be a better person and avoid doing sinful things, rather than be proud of them.

kool-aid
12-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Only gay people would theoretically stop watching the show?

them and liberal supporters, of which I doubt there are many viewers in those categories. They wouldn't have lost much money at all if they had handled this better, as many who watch the show agree with Phil's idea system, and even watch it because they agree with his biblical values.

Cookie Monster
12-21-2013, 09:24 PM
Ha. Only liberals are repulsed by his brand of anti-gay statements.

Bunch
12-21-2013, 09:32 PM
them and liberal supporters, of which I doubt there are many viewers in those categories. They wouldn't have lost much money at all if they had handled this better, as many who watch the show agree with Phil's idea system, and even watch it because they agree with his biblical values.

Disney owns a majority share of A&E...In the scale of money making franchises that they own I think Duck Dynasty falls in the very lower end of what Disney produces. If I was a betting person I will bet that the show will eventually be picked up by Fox News or any other Fox network.

imnohero
12-21-2013, 10:01 PM
... I do find the way they decide to live to be sad in the eyes of God. He would never turn them away from heaven for being sinful...

You claim to know the mind of God? Where I come from that's called conceit, and is a Mortal Sin.

Rizzo77
12-21-2013, 11:26 PM
This is the greatest ad campaign in history. Think about it: generate a major controversy right before the marathon of the show.

I'm not watching. I never watched the show before, and I'm not going to watch it now.

This is the second worst abomination perpetrated on the American people; unfortunately, it pales in comparison to the nonsense that forced resident obama on the country.

imnohero
12-21-2013, 11:49 PM
If it's an ad campaign, it's a pretty risky one. Certainly not the greatest in history, and it's no where near the "second worst abomination perpetrated on the American people"...not even in the top 10.

TJMAC77SP
12-22-2013, 12:22 AM
But this is not about groups its about individuals. This is about Mr. Robertson using the bible to promote hate and intolerance. Not all Christians promote hate or judge others, the type of attitude and comments that Mr. Robertson subscribes himself to is a reflection only of himself and the environment he grew up. I'm pretty sure that even inside his family there are members that don't necessarily agree with his comments.

But Robertson himself never said he hated anyone. As you pointed out he said gays (And I still think he was referring to a larger group) hated God. That became in some minds (your apparently) that he hates gays (despite his other public statement to the contrary). Why would you put so much stock in an unsaid statement and dismiss one that is actually said.

I would also agree (albeit with the same lack of direct knowledge you possess) that some of the family does not agree, lock, stock and barrel with his statements. That would be a pretty safe statement about any family.

kool-aid
12-22-2013, 01:34 AM
You claim to know the mind of God? Where I come from that's called conceit, and is a Mortal Sin.

Actually it's called going to church and reading the Word, which expresses these ideas in the New Testament.

Bunch
12-22-2013, 01:45 AM
But Robertson himself never said he hated anyone. As you pointed out he said gays (And I still think he was referring to a larger group) hated God. That became in some minds (your apparently) that he hates gays (despite his other public statement to the contrary). Why would you put so much stock in an unsaid statement and dismiss one that is actually said.

1. To say that any person or much worst a group of people hate God is such an incendiary and vitriolic comment that it doesn't come from a place of love towards said person or group.

2. The follow up comments after he calls gay "God haters" just simply don't show any basic level of understanding of what gay people are.

imnohero
12-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Boastfulness is also a sin.

kool-aid
12-22-2013, 02:07 AM
1. To say that any person or much worst a group of people hate God is such an incendiary and vitriolic comment that it doesn't come from a place of love towards said person or group.

2. The follow up comments after he calls gay "God haters" just simply don't show any basic level of understanding of what gay people are.

He possibly comes to this conclusion because you can't love God, and love your sinful nature at the same time. Not saying that in an accusatory way, it just wouldn't make sense to say you love God and want to follow his ways, and still be proud and embrace something sinful you do. I feel guilty when I do something considered sinful.

Bunch
12-22-2013, 02:18 AM
He possibly comes to this conclusion because you can't love God, and love your sinful nature at the same time. Not saying that in an accusatory way, it just wouldn't make sense to say you love God and want to follow his ways, and still be proud and embrace something sinful you do. I feel guilty when I do something considered sinful.

But its a factually wrong statement. Plenty of gays attend church regularly and some even serve as church leaders. So for him to say that gays are "God haters" is a statement that is false and reflects his hate and disdain for gay people.

imnohero
12-22-2013, 03:00 AM

You better go back and read that book some more, it doesn't say that.

mikezulu1
12-22-2013, 03:05 AM
who cares!! the bible is a book written by man for the purposes of controlling man. Its a bunch of damn fairy tales just like the ancient Greeks used to use stories to teach there children life lessons. There is no such thing as heaven or hell, its all fake. get over it, when you die you die and that's it. why are Christians so concerned with how others live there lives? mind your own business, go pray to your Jesus and leave the rest of society alone, doesn't your book talk about how you shouldn't judge others?

kool-aid
12-22-2013, 03:24 AM
But its a factually wrong statement. Plenty of gays attend church regularly and some even serve as church leaders. So for him to say that gays are "God haters" is a statement that is false and reflects his hate and disdain for gay people.

So do wife beaters, cheaters, alcoholics, etc., but most of them are not proud of what they do.

kool-aid
12-22-2013, 03:31 AM
who cares!! the bible is a book written by man for the purposes of controlling man. Its a bunch of damn fairy tales just like the ancient Greeks used to use stories to teach there children life lessons. There is no such thing as heaven or hell, its all fake. get over it, when you die you die and that's it. why are Christians so concerned with how others live there lives? mind your own business, go pray to your Jesus and leave the rest of society alone, doesn't your book talk about how you shouldn't judge others?

Because we are taught to care about everyone, and part of that is to let everyone hear about God and decide if he is for them or not - to save them from eternity on hell. Sounds like you have already made your choice though. Good luck with that.

Bunch
12-22-2013, 03:34 AM
So do wife beaters, cheaters, alcoholics, etc., but most of them are not proud of what they do.

And your point is?

mikezulu1
12-22-2013, 03:39 AM
Because we are taught to care about everyone, and part of that is to let everyone hear about God and decide if he is for them or not - to save them from eternity on hell. Sounds like you have already made your choice though. Good luck with that.

yeah I'd rather not give 10% of my money to child molesters. The last people on this planet that should be counseling anyone on their lifestyle choices are those that have a reputation for raping children. Good looking out though.

TJMAC77SP
12-22-2013, 03:44 AM

In his beliefs.........God commands X. A group violates this commandment. By extension (in his opinion) the same belief system dictates that group hates God. He STILL hasn't said HE hates anyone.

How does one understand 'what gay people are' if you don't believe the behavior is correct? How does that lead to the (still unproven) claim that he 'hates' anyone....again, in contradiction to his ACTUAL words on the subject?

You seem to want to continue to argue his belief system is wrong and I for one am not taking on that argument. I really think by now you have that part figured out. What is left?

Bunch
12-22-2013, 03:48 AM
In his beliefs.........God commands X. A group violates this commandment. By extension (in his opinion) the same belief system dictates that group hates God. He STILL hasn't said HE hates anyone.

How does one understand 'what gay people are' if you don't believe the behavior is correct? How does that lead to the (still unproven) claim that he 'hates' anyone....again, in contradiction to his ACTUAL words on the subject?

You seem to want to continue to argue his belief system is wrong and I for one am not taking on that argument. I really think by now you have that part figured out. What is left?

I guess nothing.

mikezulu1
12-22-2013, 04:43 AM

The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device(hmmmm who would have thought, sounds a lot like those greek tales I was talking about). Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God” Pope Francis declared

In the past, the church has been harsh on those it deemed morally wrong or sinful. Today, we no longer judge. Like a loving father, we never condemn our children. Our church is big enough for heterosexuals and homosexuals, for the pro-life and the pro-choice! For conservatives and liberals, even communists are welcome and have joined us. We all love and worship the same God.”

soooo.....fuq your hell.

efmbman
12-22-2013, 11:25 AM
No hate in the man's words some people here say... His not casting judgement on other people here say...

Well lets hear it from the man himself back in 2010...

http://youtu.be/xyP_2fS1A04

So according to him gay people are:

Seems to me there is a lot of hate and judgement being cast in that statement.

It saddens me to a point because I really enjoy the show but for some reason I always suspected that this show was going to end on something like this. IMO they are a very good family that do a lot of good for people in their community and probably around the entire country. I will not like for people to judge them just for this without knowing all the other productive things they do.

Just curious... that YouTube video was uploaded on 19 DEC 2013. Prior to the GQ interview, was anyone concerned about the views of Phil Robertson? I'm not asking you in particular. It just seems odd that suddenly there is this huge shitstorm, yet the video is supposedly a speech from 2010. No one from the network (or Disney) did any research to determine if their image would be tainted? I'm not getting into the religious debate, only the PR side of it.

sandsjames
12-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Oh...ok...thanks...you showed me the error of my ways and convinced me.

Chief_KO
12-22-2013, 02:57 PM
The last Louisianian who garnered this much attention was Huey P. Long.

waveshaper2
12-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Duck Dynasty Gay Reindeer.
http://www.jibjab.com/view/F-fbnQogRSOS3iMAvb3miw?aw_affid=85386&aw_gid=0&aw_bid=0&aw_pid=0&aw_cr=1ohftl0vdkmk2&aw_sitename=VigLinkInc

TJMAC77SP
12-23-2013, 02:56 AM
Duck Dynasty Gay Reindeer.
http://www.jibjab.com/view/F-fbnQogRSOS3iMAvb3miw?aw_affid=85386&aw_gid=0&aw_bid=0&aw_pid=0&aw_cr=1ohftl0vdkmk2&aw_sitename=VigLinkInc

Great stuff. Haven't seen anything from JibJab in a while. Why gay reindeer though?

waveshaper2
12-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Great stuff. Haven't seen anything from JibJab in a while. Why gay reindeer though?

A bunch of guys, with their background, prancing around in reindeer suits just seems kind of gay, not that there is anything wrong with that (being gay).

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-23-2013, 12:02 PM
The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device(hmmmm who would have thought, sounds a lot like those greek tales I was talking about). Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God” Pope Francis declaredGood thing Martin Luther decided to break free from the rule of the pope and now we have many denominations of Christianity. You seem to think all Christians are under the same doctrine, thats not the case.

In the past, the church has been harsh on those it deemed morally wrong or sinful. Today, we no longer judge. Like a loving father, we never condemn our children. Our church is big enough for heterosexuals and homosexuals, for the pro-life and the pro-choice! For conservatives and liberals, even communists are welcome and have joined us. We all love and worship the same God.”We, as Christians, dont "judge" if someone will go to Hell or heaven. We do Judge on sin that our fellow Christians commit. The church body is actually ordered to shun those like adulterers. It is written that if there is a sinful act being continually committed, first there is to be one on one conversation. If that doesnt work, a small group of 3 or 4 are supposed to confront the offender. Next is the entire Church confronts the issue. If that still doesnt work, then the offender is to become an outcast until they change their behavior. That doesnt mean they are being condemed to hell.

soooo.....fuq your hell.
Well, its not really just designed for those that believe in hell.

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Just curious... that YouTube video was uploaded on 19 DEC 2013. Prior to the GQ interview, was anyone concerned about the views of Phil Robertson? I'm not asking you in particular. It just seems odd that suddenly there is this huge shitstorm, yet the video is supposedly a speech from 2010. No one from the network (or Disney) did any research to determine if their image would be tainted? I'm not getting into the religious debate, only the PR side of it.

Well, were is the shitstorm for Obama's belove Farakan who has stated openly that gays should be stoned and beheaded?

imnohero
12-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Well, were is the shitstorm for Obama's belove Farakan who has stated openly that gays should be stoned and beheaded?

There was one, years ago. Don't see him in the news anymore, do you? And no he's not dead.

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-23-2013, 12:27 PM
There was one, years ago. Don't see him in the news anymore, do you? And no he's not dead.

Actually, he has made several statements last year and this year. The only ones that reported on it was the conservative websites like the blaze. And they were against the violence against homosexuals.

Rusty Jones
12-23-2013, 12:40 PM
The church no longer believes in a literal hell where people suffer. This doctrine is incompatible with the infinite love of God. God is not a judge but a friend and a lover of humanity. God seeks not to condemn but only to embrace. Like the fable of Adam and Eve, we see hell as a literary device(hmmmm who would have thought, sounds a lot like those greek tales I was talking about). Hell is merely a metaphor for the isolated soul, which like all souls ultimately will be united in love with God” Pope Francis declared

In the past, the church has been harsh on those it deemed morally wrong or sinful. Today, we no longer judge. Like a loving father, we never condemn our children. Our church is big enough for heterosexuals and homosexuals, for the pro-life and the pro-choice! For conservatives and liberals, even communists are welcome and have joined us. We all love and worship the same God.”

soooo.....fuq your hell.

Only the pope never said this. This came from a satire article.

There are some denominations that don't believe in a literal hell, and subscribe to the doctrine of annihilationism, where the souls of the unsaved are simply destroyed and cease to exist.

Good thing Martin Luther decided to break free from the rule of the pope and now we have many denominations of Christianity.

Which shows just how many holes there are in Christianity. There are 300,000+ denominations of Christianity, which means that there are 300,000+ "official" ways to read the Bible. If that was the exact figure, and only one can be right, then that means that the other 299,999 are wrong.

TJMAC77SP
12-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Which shows just how many holes there are in Christianity. There are 300,000+ denominations of Christianity, which means that there are 300,000+ "official" ways to read the Bible. If that was the exact figure, and only one can be right, then that means that the other 299,999 are wrong.

I think I am missing your point here. It looks like you are merely agreeing with WJ's pointing out the variations of Christianity.

"Good thing Martin Luther decided to break free from the rule of the pope and now we have many denominations of Christianity. You seem to think all Christians are under the same doctrine, thats not the case."

TJMAC77SP
12-23-2013, 01:22 PM
A bunch of guys, with their background, prancing around in reindeer suits just seems kind of gay, not that there is anything wrong with that (being gay).

Ahhh, I see. Good thing you don't work for A&E

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-23-2013, 02:04 PM
Which shows just how many holes there are in Christianity. There are 300,000+ denominations of Christianity, which means that there are 300,000+ "official" ways to read the Bible. If that was the exact figure, and only one can be right, then that means that the other 299,999 are wrong.Not essentially "wrong", just different. Every year, there is a different way of winning the super bowl, but everyone still plays under the same guide lines and rules.

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-23-2013, 02:23 PM
At least he doesnt back off.
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/12/23/duck-dynasty-patriarch-phil-robertson-says-will-not-give-after-homosexuality/

During the class, which lasted approximately 45 minutes, Robertson said of the reaction to his comments, "I am just reading what was written over 2,000 years ago. Those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom. All I did was quote from the scriptures, but they just didn’t know it. Whether I said it, or they read it, what’s the difference? The sins are the same, humans haven’t changed.

Rusty Jones
12-23-2013, 02:55 PM
I think I am missing your point here. It looks like you are merely agreeing with WJ's pointing out the variations of Christianity.

"Good thing Martin Luther decided to break free from the rule of the pope and now we have many denominations of Christianity. You seem to think all Christians are under the same doctrine, thats not the case."

Eh, I was having a "Pullinteeth" moment.

AJBIGJ
12-23-2013, 03:34 PM
"Look squirrel!"

This is what I think this whole Duck Dynasty debacle is about, my question to every "I stand with Phil Robertson" enthusiast, is what were you not paying attention to amidst all of this "quacking"?

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-23-2013, 03:46 PM
"Look squirrel!"

This is what I think this whole Duck Dynasty debacle is about, my question to every "I stand with Phil Robertson" enthusiast, is what were you not paying attention to amidst all of this "quacking"?

Good question, did Obama veto the budget that cut the pentions for disabled vets like he said he would before his $4million vacation?

AJBIGJ
12-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Good question, did Obama veto the budget that cut the pentions for disabled vets like he said he would before his $4million vacation?

That is just the beginning, did anyone hear about the nice little wedding party in Yemen? How about our excursion in Southern Sudan? I notice the NDAA slipped through fairly neatly, I wonder if it includes the indefinite detention clause typical of the last couple of them?

I have noticed Christmastime is the time of year for "Duck Dynasty" and "Pajama Boy" to be the things that everyone seems to want to discuss, I doubt it is a coincidence.

kool-aid
12-23-2013, 08:38 PM

I thought you were referring these ads before I looked at the link.

TJMAC77SP
12-23-2013, 09:13 PM
"Look squirrel!"

Several things. I can multi-task my brain.

TJMAC77SP
12-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Eh, I was having a "Pullinteeth" moment.

Sorry, missed that one as well.

AJBIGJ
12-24-2013, 04:42 AM
Several things. I can multi-task my brain.

As can many, but only to a certain extent in the grand scheme of things. To me it is a question of priorities, in this case, which were yours?

giggawatt
12-24-2013, 06:38 AM
Haven't read through the whole thread yet, but a fun fact for all you sports fans, Phil Robertson was the starting quarterback at his school and Terry Bradshaw replaced him. He didn't finish college ball because it interferred with duck season.

I have watched the show because I was curious what all the hype was about and it turns out that I enjoy it. It's entertainment.