PDA

View Full Version : Another Homecoming...

BOSS302
12-18-2013, 11:09 AM
:deadhorse:deadhorse:sick2::sick2::sick2:

In another thread, the "homecomings" by service members - many of which are promptly uploaded to YouTube and consumed by mainstream media - were much derided.

Well, here is the silliest one I've read thus far. Hide amongst your son's football opponents? It's just weird. And he's Air Force. And he's in USAFE. Who is willing to bet that he just returned from a six-month TDY at an Undisclosed Location in Southwest Asia?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2525642/Adorable-moment-returning-vet-dad-reunites-son-football-field-disguising-opposing-player.html

Edit: Another story says that he returned a month early from Afghanistan.

71Fish
12-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Who cares? He wants to surprise his kid(s) and have a memory for them to look at later.
I don't like watching them because it chokes me up seeing the kids.
If you don't like watching them because you think they are silly, don't watch.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
12-18-2013, 01:50 PM
He probably got a Bronze Star too, for spending six months "expertly" running food convoys between Doha and the Al Udeid DFAC. That aside, I agree with both of you. It's great to surprise the kids and create such great memories, but Boss has a point about these events getting out of control. It reminds me of the USMC Balls, where it was about who can get the next celebrity to agree to a date. With these surprise homecomings, it seems like these "troops" are trying to out-do each other. Makes you wonder if it's really about the kids, or about getting the most LIKES on a YouTube video.

TJMAC77SP
12-18-2013, 02:19 PM
I too agree that it is getting Re-Goddamned-diculous but not on the part of the service member. I am willing to give the service member the benefit of the doubt in that their intentions are about the kids but the media has latched onto these stories and that always leads to viewing saturation.

I for one still find them touching and continue to watch them.

AFcynic
12-18-2013, 03:10 PM
Somebody is obviously alerting the media to said homecoming. If the member REALLY wanted to make it about his family, why in the name of all that is decent would he/she arrange something with the local pro sports team or TV station? Just tell the family, "I'll be arriving on XX airlines at XX time. I can't wait to see you all". Every time I came back from a deployment, I just wanted to see the family. Not my co-workers, not the TV guy, not the Spurs coyote, just my family.

If you, your boss, your significant other are arranging some kind of spectacular event, you're a megalomaniac and/or a d0uche.

TJMAC77SP
12-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Somebody is obviously alerting the media to said homecoming. If the member REALLY wanted to make it about his family, why in the name of all that is decent would he/she arrange something with the local pro sports team or TV station? Just tell the family, "I'll be arriving on XX airlines at XX time. I can't wait to see you all". Every time I came back from a deployment, I just wanted to see the family. Not my co-workers, not the TV guy, not the Spurs coyote, just my family.

If you, your boss, your significant other are arranging some kind of spectacular event, you're a megalomaniac and/or a d0uche.

Well, in many of the cases it is non-professional video posted to YouTube that is picked up by the media. I certainly understand the family wanting to film the event.

Slyoldawg
12-26-2013, 07:34 AM

Every time I see one of those, "Here I am, look at me everybody.." it takes me back to 44 years ago on my return home from Vietnam. I left Da Nang via a Continental Golden Tail 707 flew to Clark AB for fuel and then on to L.A. Then running down the terminal to catch a Delta flight to New Orleans. At 03:00 stepped off the plane at Moisant airport to see my wife and kids waiting for me and that was all I needed. Now that they are using these surprise return home videos as commercials it is beginning to be a turnoff. One doesn't know if they're watching the real deal or a damn commercial. Now I just change channels rather than watch another commercial about returning military surprising their family, or dog.

Juggs
12-26-2013, 03:36 PM
My home comings were walking off a plane to about 6-7 people. My wife and kids, Sq CC, Sq Sup, and a couple buddies to bring my weapons and equipment back to the sq.

S

Drackore
01-14-2014, 11:32 AM
I never did any of this stuff either, but at the same time this doesn't bug me. I was there for this because my kid is on the same football team and it was pretty cool. Most of the dads were deployed, so having the opposing football team help out made it work. Plus after winning that game our kids set or tied a record (ended up breaking the record) for most wins without a loss. These kids were missing their dads this year. AFN, of course, got word of it so they broke out their cameras and recorded it (AFN was there anyways for the game).

Again, yea it's cheesy and it's becoming cliche - but who to blame? Media for overkilling it or the servicemembers who deploy way too much as it is and want to do something special when they return? Like I said - I won't do this stuff, it's not how I roll but more power to them for doing it.

BENDER56
01-15-2014, 07:03 PM
I think I already weighed in somewhere on this forum about my distaste for these public reunions.

At the end of my first 'Deid "deployment", my replacement arrived a week early and our deployed CC authorized me to depart early. There was a charter flight dedicated to returning a large contingent to my home base and I got orders to return with them. I immediately thought about the pros and cons of surprising my wife and decided to go for it.

When we got back and completed whatever processing was required, I asked a guy if I could borrow his cell phone. I called my wife on our land line and pretended I was calling her from the 'Deid (we had no caller ID.) We chatted and I asked what she was doing and she said she was going to the commissary. The kids were in school. Perfect.

So I got a ride to my home, unloaded all my gear, took a shower and sat on our front porch swing with a cold beer and the newspaper and awaited her return. It was a very nice reunion. I had no desire to share it with anyone.