PDA

View Full Version : New promotion testing?

chevyman
12-14-2013, 10:09 PM
I heard that the AF is doing away with TIG/TIS points for WAPS testing, is this true?

AF Comm Guy
12-14-2013, 11:33 PM
I'd be glad if that were the case. I'd also like to hear them do away with the pin-on dates determined by TIG. Why reward the dumb asses who have been in the same rank for ten years with immediate pin-on? Granted, I'm one of those dumb asses so I really would benefit from the status quo. Maybe I should shut up now.

CJSmith
12-15-2013, 12:26 AM
CMSAF Cody spoke about it here. http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20131210/CAREERS02/312100019/AF-may-nix-promotion-points-time-grade-time-service

I hear a lot of people saying they agree with this but when push comes to shove and they actually take them away, there will be a lot of bitching. Take a look at what you would have to score if they took away your TIS/TIG points. If they don't make corrections elsewhere (i.e. lowering cutoff scores) you will have to score a lot higher on the PDG/SKT tests.

VCO
12-15-2013, 12:36 AM
CMSAF Cody spoke about it here. http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20131210/CAREERS02/312100019/AF-may-nix-promotion-points-time-grade-time-service

I hear a lot of people saying they agree with this but when push comes to shove and they actually take them away, there will be a lot of bitching. Take a look at what you would have to score if they took away your TIS/TIG points. If they don't make corrections elsewhere (i.e. lowering cutoff scores) you will have to score a lot higher on the PDG/SKT tests.

CJ,

The cutoff would lower on its own to promote the required number. The average test scores would probably stay about the same.

CJSmith
12-15-2013, 12:54 AM
CJ,

The cutoff would lower on its own to promote the required number. The average test scores would probably stay about the same.

Argh, I knew that. We set cutoff scores, not the AF. Dumb moment by me.

Sergeant eNYgma
12-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Can't we tie who sews on first to test scores higher who score the quicker you pin on?

But then again if you test well but still aren't ready............

71Fish
12-16-2013, 06:31 PM
I'd be glad if that were the case. I'd also like to hear them do away with the pin-on dates determined by TIG. Why reward the dumb asses who have been in the same rank for ten years with immediate pin-on? Granted, I'm one of those dumb asses so I really would benefit from the status quo. Maybe I should shut up now.

I agree regarding TIG. Keep it a factor, but lower down. Score, selectee position, TIG, TIS or something like that.

Hoo-huh???
12-17-2013, 09:25 AM
I say if they're going to get rid of TIG/TIS then they need to get rid of decoration points also...

RetC141BFCC
12-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Hey lets just go back to the good old boy system. Let the CC promote whoever they want. Works so good with E-8 and E-9 boards. I know plenty of people who could test but could not due the job.

Brewhound
12-30-2013, 07:27 PM
I am so glad I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Cookie Monster
12-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Using TIG to determine line numbers works just fine. When the selections are announced, who is probably the most ready to assume the new rank right away: the more experienced person who finally made it or the young hotshot who tests well? The less experienced selectees have extra time to transition into the higher grade, and I think that's better for the AF.

BRUWIN
12-30-2013, 08:25 PM
I want to be a fly on the wall when a 30 year old Chief tries to light up a 40 Year old TSgt. You guys have no idea what a shit storm this is gonna be.

mikezulu1
12-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Using TIG to determine line numbers works just fine. When the selections are announced, who is probably the most ready to assume the new rank right away: the more experienced person who finally made it or the young hotshot who tests well? The less experienced selectees have extra time to transition into the higher grade, and I think that's better for the AF.

According to the current CMSAF TIG/TIS doesnt translate to "the more experienced person"

BOSS302
12-30-2013, 09:31 PM
I want to be a fly on the wall when a 30 year old Chief tries to light up a 40 Year old TSgt. You guys have no idea what a shit storm this is gonna be.

You are a GS-11 "Captain-Equivalent". Stay out of this.

Gonzo432
12-30-2013, 10:11 PM
According to the current CMSAF TIG/TIS doesnt translate to "the more experienced person"

I guess that depends on how you define, "experience".