PDA

View Full Version : Resiliency Survey

technomage1
12-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Anyone else take the resiliency survey yet? Putting aside the fact "resiliency" is actually just code for "Let's see how much we can screw you before you snap", the survey was highly biased towards extroversion. A lot of the categories listed were about social networks and spending time with friends, etc, and the "right" answer and remedies according to the results would make an introvert abjectly miserable.

An introvert likes peace, quiet, and alone time. That is what keeps us healthy and "resilient". If the AF truly cared about resiliency then they need to recognize an introvert and extrovert have different needs and different coping mechanisms. A "one size fits all" approach doesn't work.

I "failed" the test miserably--something like 3/4 of my responses led to the survey results suggesting a long list of corrective actions I could take, all of which would make me stressed and unhappy instead of relieving stress and making me more resilient.

Introverts are one third of the US population. You'd think we would get a bit more respect than this.

BUDJR8
12-13-2013, 11:24 AM
I haven't seen it...just another buzz-word/program to keep our focus off the continued gutting and bloodletting of our once great military.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
12-13-2013, 12:34 PM
I'd name it "Intro/Extrovert Warrior Elasticity." This fills up more white space on a performance report or 1206, which of course is what all initiatives are really about.

Sergeant eNYgma
12-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Havent seen it yet but once I do I'll click through it like the rest..............

OtisRNeedleman
12-13-2013, 11:51 PM
Wonder why the AF is throwing away money on such baloney. Anyone with half a brain knows the AF could care less about your capability to be resilient, as long as you don't cause the AF problems.

efmbman
12-14-2013, 12:40 AM
During my last two years (once I hit the 20-year "Made Man" mark) I would take great pleasure in answering those surveys in such a way that alarm bells would go off in higher headquarters. I wanted it to seem as if I was either a ticking time bomb or so severely disturbed that it skewed the unit results. I got several phone calls from command chaplains and command psychologists. It made my day.

Chief_KO
12-14-2013, 02:29 PM
It's called CYA. Lets say an Airman commits suicide...the results of his survey are analyzed. The AF says "see we identified Amn X had issues and recommended what he should do about it".
Everyone knows someone (either directly or indirectly) that has committed suicide while on AD. Has anyone ever heard a follow-up on the reason/reasons that drove the member to kill themself...and if the AF has even tried to make any corrections to prevent (or decrease) future suicides or other actions?
I do realize fully that it is impossible to prevent 100% of suicides (or 100% of anything for that matter), but for the life of me I never recall hearing any follow up. Yes, some (many?) of the situations are beyond the AF (adultery, crime, etc.) but some (many?) are in the AF (pay, benefits, ops tempo, workcenter, unit, leadership, etc.).
Amn X kills himself, we have a memorial service on base (everyone cries and says great things about Amn X), the family is comforted (then they move on), Amn X is replaced by Amn Y...and nothing ever changes...