PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Band

TSgt"M"
12-12-2013, 01:50 PM
If you haven't seen it, check out the Air Force band flash mob at the Smithsonion. Google it and you'll find many hits. (don't know how to embed) Marry Christmas everyone.

Kicker47
12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
How many of the 25,000 cut will be AF Band members? :deadhorse

More with less, right? Maybe add the requirement that each band member must be able to play two instruments and swap between the two during songs...Like Geddy Lee playing bass and keyboards!

Happy holidays everyone!

Sergeant eNYgma
12-12-2013, 04:04 PM

More with less, right? Maybe add the requirement that each band member must be able to play two instruments and swap between the two during songs...Like Geddy Lee playing bass and keyboards!

Happy holidays everyone!

Or how bout we do away with the band, tops in blue, etc

71Fish
12-12-2013, 04:10 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!

And singing. Three instruments.

Drackore
12-12-2013, 04:48 PM
No shit right. Roll out these new force shaping methods just in time for AF Band flash mobs? And I'm supposed to be in the Blue Kool-Aid X-mas Spirit?

BRUWIN
12-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Or how bout we do away with the band, tops in blue, etc

Tops In Blue is too big a morale builder to ever be done away with.

Gonzo432
12-13-2013, 01:37 AM
Bands are sacred cows, we won't get to BBQ one EVER! Several years ago the ACC/A5 said he always wanted to cut a band, but could never touch them.

360BHR
12-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Bands are sacred cows, we won't get to BBQ one EVER! Several years ago the ACC/A5 said he always wanted to cut a band, but could never touch them.

Three bands (Elmendorf, Hanscom, & Robins) were eliminated just this year along with 105 billets; Academy was downgraded from premiere to regional in 2010.

The entire budget of ALL military bands (USA, USN, USMC, USCG & USAF) is less than 1/10th of 1 percent of the entire DoD budget.

technomage1
12-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Marry Christmas everyone.

And Yuletide greetings to you.

Gonzo432
12-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Three bands (Elmendorf, Hanscom, & Robins) were eliminated just this year along with 105 billets; Academy was downgraded from premiere to regional in 2010.

The entire budget of ALL military bands (USA, USN, USMC, USCG & USAF) is less than 1/10th of 1 percent of the entire DoD budget.

That means we can keep the Commissaries!! Why the hell did Elmendorf, Hanscom, & Robins have bands anyway?

technomage1
12-13-2013, 10:07 AM
That means we can keep the Commissaries!! Why the hell did Elmendorf, Hanscom, & Robins have bands anyway?

What else is there to do in elmendorf, Hanscom, & Robins?

Jk

TJMAC77SP
12-13-2013, 01:13 PM

The band at Robins had a drum, fife and bagpipe section that used to perform tattoos. It was actually a pretty awesome performance. I guess the band at Langley continues to do those ceremonies so it isn't lost completely

Playfair
12-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Exactly what is the purpose of the bands? Something long past it's us, same as the All ranks Clubs. Just get rid of them and put everyone back to work...

snowman
12-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Did you know that everyone who is accepted to the USAF Band in Washington DC is automatically promoted to TSgt.

SomeRandomGuy
12-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Bands are important guys! When the Titanic sank the band stayed on board and kept playing. We need to do the same with the AF. Even though it is sinking the band must play!

GoatDriver57
12-14-2013, 01:00 AM
Je vous salut Marie, pleine de grace, que le seigneur soit avec vous que Jesus, le fruit de vos entrailles soit béni. Sainte Marie mère de dieu priez pour nous pauvres pêcheurs . Notre père qui est aux cieux que ton nom soit sanctifier, que ton reigne vienne et que ta volontée soit faite sur terre comme au ciel. Donnes nous notre pain quotidien et pardonnes nous nos pêchers comme nous pardonnons aussi à ceux qui nous ont offenser. Au nom du père, du fils et du saint d'espri...Amen.

jshiver15
12-14-2013, 11:03 AM
Did you know that everyone who is accepted to the USAF Band in Washington DC is automatically promoted to TSgt.

While I don't see the necessity for base wide bands and whatnot, the USAF band itself is actually comprised of people with a lot of education and experience in their field. It's no different (IMO) than commissioning an officer with 4 years of college. In fact, a lot of the members of the USAF band have at least a Masters degree.

With that said, I'd like to reiterate that I think base wide bands are useless.

meatbringer
12-14-2013, 12:17 PM
If you haven't seen it, check out the Air Force band flash mob at the Smithsonion. Google it and you'll find many hits. (don't know how to embed) Marry Christmas everyone.

LOL! The fact that you not only emphasized "Christ", but also misspelled "Merry" speaks volumes. Thanks for making my day. Happy holidays.

jshiver15
12-14-2013, 03:58 PM
LOL! The fact that you not only emphasized "Christ", but also misspelled "Merry" speaks volumes. Thanks for making my day. Happy holidays.

I see what you did there.

360BHR
12-14-2013, 08:04 PM
While I don't see the necessity for base wide bands and whatnot, the USAF band itself is actually comprised of people with a lot of education and experience in their field. It's no different (IMO) than commissioning an officer with 4 years of college. In fact, a lot of the members of the USAF band have at least a Masters degree.

With that said, I'd like to reiterate that I think base wide bands are useless.

There haven't been base-wide bands since the early 90's. The current regional bands are tied to MAJCOMs. The degree has nothing to do with the rank they get, it's the members skill; Yes, education and experience has a lot to do with that, but there are some band members who have a natural talent and have been able to pass the audition without a music degree. But the audition is equivalent to passing your 7-level, successful auditionees are given the rank commensurate to their skill.

In fact, the Air Force places more weight and credibility towards a member getting a CCAF than if they already have an Associates, Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral degree.

jshiver15
12-14-2013, 08:09 PM
There haven't been base-wide bands since the early 90's. The current regional bands are tied to MAJCOMs. The degree has nothing to do with the rank they get, it's the members skill; Yes, education and experience has a lot to do with that, but there are some band members who have a natural talent and have been able to pass the audition without a music degree. But the audition is equivalent to passing your 7-level, successful auditionees are given the rank commensurate to their skill.

In fact, the Air Force places more weight and credibility towards a member getting a CCAF than if they already have an Associates, Bachelors, Masters or Doctoral degree.

I stand corrected on the "base wide" bands (I've been at a GSU for 3+ years and was at Hickam before).

However, while they get in based on their audition, most of the members have degrees in that field. In fact, it makes them more competitive. My wife was nearly recruited out of college to be a vocalist.

360BHR
12-14-2013, 08:25 PM
I stand corrected on the "base wide" bands (I've been at a GSU for 3+ years and was at Hickam before).

However, while they get in based on their audition, most of the members have degrees in that field. In fact, it makes them more competitive. My wife was nearly recruited out of college to be a vocalist.

I agree with you, most band members already have degrees when they come in. However, that is not the reason they are given the rank, it is based on their skill level, again, which education does have a major part in. The bands do recruit extensively through major music universities, but a degree is not a requirement for entry into the Air Force Bands.

Roto
01-07-2014, 06:02 AM
I honestly don't mind that they get Tech immediately. I know two people in the AF band out of DC; one of them has a Masters, the other has a PhD in their respective instruments. Granted, it is something to chuckle about from time to time.

sigecaps
01-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Tops In Blue is too big a morale builder to ever be done away with.

People don't realize how true this is until they've been deployed and had Tops in Blue roll through. Their carefully scripted performances are edgy, yet professional (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpYJ7QaxMgs). You never had to worry about one of their performers swearing, mock local leadership, or do anything that might get them kicked off the USO tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hWd8FWagmc). Nor do you ever have to worry about Airmen being unable to control themselves from proactively dressed women at USO shows like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4efrUuX8Q). Tops in Blue lifted our spirits at the Deid and we'll need them to pull us through future conflicts. And that's why Tops in Blue will always be with us.

Absinthe Anecdote
01-07-2014, 10:30 AM
This performance of the Van Halen's, Jump, by the USAF Reserve Band's rock combo should be more than enough justification to get rid of all bands.

That song was a cheesy suck-fest when Van Halen did it back in the 1980s, but then, "Reserve Generation" comes along in 2012 and makes it the cheesiest most sucky "hair metal" song to ever be performed, EVER!

You guys were saying that most USAF Band members have Masters degrees in music; well, I think the members of "Reserve Generation" should be awarded honorary doctorates in sucking.

Seriously, the only way to make a shitty song like Jump worse, would be to follow it up with a performance of Night Ranger's, Sister Christian.

Do you realize that they actually let "Reserve Generation" go around performing at schools and county fairs? It is an outrage that they are subjecting our children to the horrific melodies and cheesy lyrics of 1980s hair metal in the 21st century.

http://youtu.be/w6HsDHu_4H8

360BHR
01-07-2014, 04:26 PM
People don't realize how true this is until they've been deployed and had Tops in Blue roll through. Their carefully scripted performances are edgy, yet professional (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpYJ7QaxMgs). You never had to worry about one of their performers swearing, mock local leadership, or do anything that might get them kicked off the USO tour (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hWd8FWagmc). Nor do you ever have to worry about Airmen being unable to control themselves from proactively dressed women at USO shows like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4efrUuX8Q). Tops in Blue lifted our spirits at the Deid and we'll need them to pull us through future conflicts. And that's why Tops in Blue will always be with us.

Tops in Blue falls under MWR. Bands fall under SAF/PA. Not related in any way, shape or form.

Gonzo432
01-07-2014, 04:27 PM
This performance of the Van Halen's, Jump, by the USAF Reserve Band's rock combo should be more than enough justification to get rid of all bands.

That song was a cheesy suck-fest when Van Halen did it back in the 1980s, but then, "Reserve Generation" comes along in 2012 and makes it the cheesiest most sucky "hair metal" song to ever be performed, EVER!

You guys were saying that most USAF Band members have Masters degrees in music; well, I think the members of "Reserve Generation" should be awarded honorary doctorates in sucking.

Seriously, the only way to make a shitty song like Jump worse, would be to follow it up with a performance of Night Ranger's, Sister Christian.

Do you realize that they actually let "Reserve Generation" go around performing at schools and county fairs? It is an outrage that they are subjecting our children to the horrific melodies and cheesy lyrics of 1980s hair metal in the 21st century.

At least they did a sucky Van Halen (1984 album sucked) song and not Ice Cream Man or Jamies Crying or Unchained or even Romeo Delight.

BOSS302
01-07-2014, 05:56 PM
Words and a video.

LOL @ the drummer starting too early.

BOSS302
01-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Tops in Blue lifted our spirits at the Deid and we'll need them to pull us through future conflicts. And that's why Tops in Blue will always be with us.

What is "the Deid?" Are you referring to an undisclosed location in Southwest Asia? You need to practice OPSEC on this board or I will tell on you.

Absinthe Anecdote
01-07-2014, 06:59 PM
LOL @ the drummer starting too early.

How much of that were you able to watch? Surely, not the whole thing.

I knew it would suck by just looking at the title and when the singer was introducing the song in a cornball and lackluster manner, it was a frightening harbinger of just how bad their performance of an already terrible song would be.

I made myself hang with it until they all jumped for the first time.

Absinthe Anecdote
01-07-2014, 07:10 PM
At least they did a sucky Van Halen (1984 album sucked) song and not Ice Cream Man or Jamies Crying or Unchained or even Romeo Delight.

I always thought Van Halen sucked, but that wasn't the worst thing to come out of the 1980s.

http://youtu.be/qzig8muClrc

Gonzo432
01-07-2014, 11:43 PM
I always thought Van Halen sucked, but that wasn't the worst thing to come out of the 1980s.

http://youtu.be/qzig8muClrc

After Diver Down in 82 they weren't the same band (with David Lee Roth or without). Late 70s that was a different band.

Absinthe Anecdote
01-08-2014, 12:10 PM
After Diver Down in 82 they weren't the same band (with David Lee Roth or without). Late 70s that was a different band.

After the last chord of "Eruption" faded and the bass kicked in at the start of "You've Really Got Me"
they started sucking and haven't stopped sucking.

However, they don't suck as much as Reserve Generation. While Val Halen has sucked for nearly four decades, Reserve Generation, packed more suckiness into that one performance of Jump than anyone in the history of music has in the course of a single song.

I challenge anyone to watch that video and come up with something worse.

imported_KnuckleDragger
01-08-2014, 09:18 PM

I'm stealing this video for my unit's resiliency training.

No matter how bad your life is it will never suck as bad as that video.

Absinthe Anecdote
01-09-2014, 12:02 PM
I'm stealing this video for my unit's resiliency training.

No matter how bad your life is it will never suck as bad as that video.

Well, you could be deployed to Afghanistan and be horribly wounded, and then, have the AFCENT Band, Total Force, come to your hospital room for a visit.

That might be worse, but at least you could say, "Damn, I'm glad they don't let Reserve Generation visit hospitals anymore."

http://youtu.be/LxOHEVb2p6s

PS

Why are they wearing sidearms?

imported_KnuckleDragger
01-09-2014, 09:10 PM
PS

Why are they wearing sidearms?

I think they were in Turkey.

J.D.C.
01-10-2014, 11:36 AM
they still have keytairs?