PDA

View Full Version : NEW NAVY GIRLFRIEND

chloeserps
12-03-2013, 03:23 AM
Hello :)
my my boyfriend just left for the greatlakes on monday nov 25th. I was lucky to get a call on thanksgiving. im not going to lie im dieing. I'm at a university and have finals, and its hard for me to study. i know i have to and i'm really trying but its so hard. I have had anxiety before, and i have been having panic attack again. this is really hard for me. i want him to be proud of me and show him i can be strong, but i keep falling back down. can anyone help?

thanks guys!

Mjölnir
12-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Moved to the Military Significant Others and Family section.

AJBIGJ
12-03-2013, 09:44 PM
This is the beginning of a true test on your endurance, I have to be bluntly honest. Later on down the line he will likely get deployed for months on end with only the occasional phone call or e-mail coming your way. I don't mean to scare you but if you do wish for this relationship to remain workable it will have challenges along the way. The easiest way for most to cope is to develop strong networks of friends to keep a person occupied when this does happen.

Vrake
12-03-2013, 10:30 PM
Just be there for him. Get ready to be inundated with jargon and good luck to you two.

raider8169
12-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Greatlakes really? Sorry that sounded like a joke.

This is where you need to figure out if you want to be part of this lifestyle. I just found out after being married for 10 years my wife was not able to deal with it from almost the get go. He will likely be away for long periods of times and while it sounds like you have issues now they will not get better but maybe easier as time goes on. He will need the support and he will need to support you in return. It will not be easy, but I hope you find it all to be worth it. Good luck!

Gonzo432
12-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Hi Chloe. It's something you get used to, but you never learn to like. 8 weeks of Boot Camp, then it's off to A-School (I think that's what the Navy calls it), then to the first duty assignment that could be any number of places depending on what he does. The Navy is known to go out on boats for extended periods of time, that's something you'll have to learn to live with. The trade-off is you get to go places most people will never be able to go.

RS6405
12-04-2013, 01:45 AM
The guys beat me to the best advice.... I.e. Stay busy and develop who you are as a person. Also we all had those panic attacks based on fear of the unknown. So start reading up on what to expect.

Good luck!