PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Lance

Rusty Jones
11-30-2013, 05:51 PM
I thought I'd start a thread to discuss some of our favorite strips.

This one is interesting:

http://terminallance.com/media/comics/2011-04-05-Strip_116_Ruffles_web.gif

It seems to me that people in other services get an inferiority complex when they're around Marines. On the flipside, other services get a superiority complex when they're around Army. Navy seems to be exempt - we're around Marines enough to know the people behind the uniform. We're also not around Army as much as Air Force and Marines are, to be forming negative opinions of them.

Stalwart
11-30-2013, 06:53 PM
I have no negative opinion of any of the services as a whole; there are some individuals in EVERY service though that I do have some negatives opinions of.

Even within the Marine Corps, when I went to the Career Course (SSgt PME), when we got to the field exercise part of it, it was a bit ironic to see the non-infantry guys trying to overcompensate around the infantrymen. For some this was a cool 5-day camping trip, for me it was just as crappy as any other field exercise.

retiredAFcivvy
11-30-2013, 07:21 PM

This one is interesting:

It seems to me that people in other services get an inferiority complex when they're around Marines. On the flipside, other services get a superiority complex when they're around Army. Navy seems to be exempt - we're around Marines enough to know the people behind the uniform. We're also not around Army as much as Air Force and Marines are, to be forming negative opinions of them.
Not sure who "our" is but I just see it as an invitation for negative discourse between members of the different services.

Rusty Jones
11-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Not sure who "our" is but I just see it as an invitation for negative discourse between members of the different services.

It's not. Even though the strips are about the Marine Corps, we can all relate to them. For example:

http://terminallance.com/media/comics/2011-04-12-Strip_118_The_Hunt_web.gif

MisterBen
12-01-2013, 11:56 PM
As a former Marine (I loved being a Lance Cooley) and now Soldier; I have not witnessed any superiority complex towards the Army from any members of other branches; especially from the Navy. Personally, I have always preferred to serve in a ground service (because I truly respect what ground combat entails) and loved my time in in the field. I never was on a ship in the Marines and have enjoyed the C-10/130 flights provided by fantastic Airmen to my travels in Iraq and Afghanistan. I do see obvious differences in discipline in each service (yes, the Army has issues in this area) and the noticeable differences in basic training/boot camp. I remember the days of Navy men in mustaches, beards and pot bellies. ;)

Rusty Jones
12-02-2013, 01:31 AM
As a former Marine (I loved being a Lance Cooley) and now Soldier; I have not witnessed any superiority complex towards the Army from any members of other branches; especially from the Navy. Personally, I have always preferred to serve in a ground service (because I truly respect what ground combat entails) and loved my time in in the field. I never was on a ship in the Marines and have enjoyed the C-10/130 flights provided by fantastic Airmen to my travels in Iraq and Afghanistan. I do see obvious differences in discipline in each service (yes, the Army has issues in this area) and the noticeable differences in basic training/boot camp. I remember the days of Navy men in mustaches, beards and pot bellies. ;)

I've actually witnessed it right here on this board, but from Air Force. Not so much recently, just maybe two or three years ago, it was on. Especially from those who were ILO.

However, all of the Sailors I know who've done IA tours had positive things to say about the Army.

This, to me, seems like the Air Force has had their beef with the Army LONG before ILO.

sandsjames
12-02-2013, 11:54 AM
I've actually witnessed it right here on this board, but from Air Force. Not so much recently, just maybe two or three years ago, it was on. Especially from those who were ILO.

However, all of the Sailors I know who've done IA tours had positive things to say about the Army.

This, to me, seems like the Air Force has had their beef with the Army LONG before ILO.

Just remember that, from the opinion of an Air Force guy, the ILO thing wasn't a good experience for many of us. Sometimes only 2 weeks of "combat" training before being put in extremely dangerous positions, something most of us were not at all prepared for. That will skew opinions of the services we are sent to work with.

BENDER56
12-03-2013, 05:06 PM

This one is interesting:

The way I interpreted this, it's not about other services having an inferiority complex around Marines, rather, it's about the Air Force having an inferiority complex, period. It certainly did when I was in.

Rusty Jones
12-04-2013, 04:38 AM
http://terminallance.com/media/comics/2010-08-06-Strip_56_Dependapotamus_web.gif

http://terminallance.com/media/2013/11/title_intro.jpg

http://terminallance.com/media/comics/2013-11-29-pg1.jpg

http://terminallance.com/media/comics/2013-12-03-pg2.jpg

Rusty Jones
12-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Just remember that, from the opinion of an Air Force guy, the ILO thing wasn't a good experience for many of us. Sometimes only 2 weeks of "combat" training before being put in extremely dangerous positions, something most of us were not at all prepared for. That will skew opinions of the services we are sent to work with.

To be fair, I can understand SOME of the superiority complex some have toward the Army. I was attached to a Navy Recruiting District as a classifier, and saw this. The Army, by no means, is a bad organization... but it does find itself in a bad position when it comes to recruiting. Very few people want to be on the ground... kicking down doors and getting shot at; so they're looking at the Air Force and Navy. To people who DO want to do that? They all want to join the Marine Corps. So the Army is left in a position where a huge chunk of their recruiting is done by dissuading people who are trying to join other services. I saw it at the various recruiting stations in my district - when Little Johnny is trying to get to the Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps office; it's like he's trying to run a ball into the endzone without getting tackled by the guys in Army uniforms.

But that's just in recruiting. I haven't experienced being out in the field with them.

Stalwart
12-10-2013, 09:05 PM
When I first enlisted, I looked at/talked to all four services. The Army pretty much made every offer under the sun (choice of MOS, choice of duty station, guarantees for 'extra' schools like Air Assault and Airborne etc), the other services had very limited incentives to join.

jshiver15
12-10-2013, 10:49 PM

I think you're taking it too seriously.

jshiver15
12-10-2013, 10:53 PM

It's also taken forever for the Army to actually accept the fact that we're working beside them, IMO. Rather than actually integrate us into their daily operations it just seemed as though we were shoved off to the side as an after-thought. But hey, as soon as they wanted something from us, we were supposed to bend over backwards. Nature of the beast.

jshiver15
12-10-2013, 10:57 PM
To be fair, I can understand SOME of the superiority complex some have toward the Army. I was attached to a Navy Recruiting District as a classifier, and saw this. The Army, by no means, is a bad organization... but it does find itself in a bad position when it comes to recruiting. Very few people want to be on the ground... kicking down doors and getting shot at; so they're looking at the Air Force and Navy. To people who DO want to do that? They all want to join the Marine Corps. So the Army is left in a position where a huge chunk of their recruiting is done by dissuading people who are trying to join other services. I saw it at the various recruiting stations in my district - when Little Johnny is trying to get to the Navy, Air Force, or Marine Corps office; it's like he's trying to run a ball into the endzone without getting tackled by the guys in Army uniforms.

But that's just in recruiting. I haven't experienced being out in the field with them.

I remember going to my recruiter and having an Army Corporal walk up to me with a piece of paper with $30,000 written on it and said that could be all mine, then just walked away. It felt like I was being propositioned like Demi Moore by Robert Redford.

Sergeant eNYgma
01-02-2014, 06:12 PM

And the fact that some say the Army should have done better with their superior numbers to where they shouldn't even need an Airman. I've heard rumblings myself about that people were bitching about how the Army couldn't meet quotas for bodies when they're a bigger branch.

sandsjames
01-02-2014, 08:28 PM
And the fact that some say the Army should have done better with their superior numbers to where they shouldn't even need an Airman. I've heard rumblings myself about that people were bitching about how the Army couldn't meet quotas for bodies when they're a bigger branch.

Exactly, never made sense to me why they wouldn't just enlist more Soldiers and reduce the number of Airmen if we were going to be filling those slots. Seems it would be easier on everyone, and safer for the Soldiers who end up baby sitting the Air Force guys.

Cookie Monster
01-02-2014, 09:33 PM
The Army had to do Stop Loss, massive incentives and a relaxation of standards just to get the manpower they had. Even with all that, they couldn't get enough mammals to meet the mission requirements dumped upon them.