PDA

View Full Version : 2014 E5 & E6 WAPS Testing

Hard Charger SF
11-30-2013, 03:01 AM
The 2013 promotion rate for E5 was 33% and for E6 15%. What's even more amazing is that both of those percentages are sure to drop in 2014. If you're having trouble registering that last sentence, you're not alone.

For the most part, the Air Force has done a great job getting rid of SSgt's that FAILED to make TSgt in 15 years. I mean come on??? You can't make TSgt in 15 YEARS ... yeah ... get out of our Air Force. You say you're a bad tester ... yeah ... nobody is buying that excuse anymore. You say you don't want the extra responsibility, but yet you feel the the Air Force owes you 20 years? Do yourself a favor ... Walk into your First Shirt's office and let him/her know that you would like to be seperated from the military. YES, you can actually do that these days.

If you haven't noticed already, all branches of the military are drastically Force Shaping. It's all over the news. Even Eric Fanning, Acting Secretary of the Air Force, confirmed the Air Force Times article was spot on ... 25,000 More Airman On the Chopping Block.

MSgt boards ... They're here. Pure Genuis ... No more TIS/TIG to be awarded in the E7 process. If you're not a fan of that, then we know exactly where you stand.

High Year Tenure ... It's real. If you can't make E5 in eight years, E6 in fifteen years, or E7 in twenty ... thanks for playing and most importantly, thank you for your service.

Drastic changes are coming to our Air Force. The biggest problem within our enlisted ranks starts with our SSgt's. Why not drop the HYT down to 14 or lower?

All in all, the month of December begins next week. If you haven't began to study for your WAPS testing next year, you're already behind.

And wow ... If you're a TSgt and fail to realize that a CCAF is in the works of becoming a prerequisite for E7 ... Those of us with a CCAF will gladly, and easily, take that stripe from you.

I'm sure to get both negative and positive feedback from this post. If your post is negative, I ask you this:
-Do you fall under any of the categories that were mentioned above?

Have a great weekend & Happy Thanksgiving.

imported_KnuckleDragger
11-30-2013, 02:11 PM
MSgt boards ... They're here. Pure Genuis ... No more TIS/TIG to be awarded in the E7 process. If you're not a fan of that, then we know exactly where you stand.

...still a rumor at this point.

HardchargerSF, how long have you been in? What rank are you?

The problem with the up-or-out mentality is, valuable experience gets tossed away. Experience that can't be replaced with any amount of studying, volunteering, hard charging, or bake sales.

(FYI I am a 16 yr TSgt)

CJSmith
11-30-2013, 02:11 PM
The 2013 promotion rate for E5 was 33% and for E6 15%. What's even more amazing is that both of those percentages are sure to drop in 2014. If you're having trouble registering that last sentence, you're not alone.

For the most part, the Air Force has done a great job getting rid of SSgt's that FAILED to make TSgt in 15 years. I mean come on??? You can't make TSgt in 15 YEARS ... yeah ... get out of our Air Force. You say you're a bad tester ... yeah ... nobody is buying that excuse anymore. You say you don't want the extra responsibility, but yet you feel the the Air Force owes you 20 years? Do yourself a favor ... Walk into your First Shirt's office and let him/her know that you would like to be seperated from the military. YES, you can actually do that these days.

If you haven't noticed already, all branches of the military are drastically Force Shaping. It's all over the news. Even Eric Fanning, Acting Secretary of the Air Force, confirmed the Air Force Times article was spot on ... 25,000 More Airman On the Chopping Block.

High Year Tenure ... It's real. If you can't make E5 in eight years, E6 in fifteen years, or E7 in twenty ... thanks for playing and most importantly, thank you for your service.

Drastic changes are coming to our Air Force. The biggest problem within our enlisted ranks starts with our SSgt's. Why not drop the HYT down to 14 or lower?

All in all, the month of December begins next week. If you haven't began to study for your WAPS testing next year, you're already behind.

And wow ... If you're a TSgt and fail to realize that a CCAF is in the works of becoming a prerequisite for E7 ... Those of us with a CCAF will gladly, and easily, take that stripe from you.

I'm sure to get both negative and positive feedback from this post. If your post is negative, I ask you this:

Is this the birth thread of another shadow poster? We had AOD, PT GOD, and a few others. While some of it has merit, it's certainly troll bait.

RetC141BFCC
11-30-2013, 02:52 PM
...still a rumor at this point.

The problem with the up-or-out mentality is, valuable experience gets tossed away. Experience that can't be replaced with any amount of studying, volunteering, hard charging, or bake sales.

(FYI I am a 16 yr TSgt)

My post is Negative I Retired as a MSgt. I do not know if I would have made MSgt with a board. I was too busy deploying and going TDY (there is a difference.) When I was at home station I was too busy working 12 hour shifts to worry about getting my CCAF. I did not get my CCAF until after I made MSgt and knew I would never make SMSgt. The only reason I even got my CCAF was to counsel my young SSgts. How could I tell them they needed to get a CCAF to be competitive if I did not have one. Before you jump on me let me tell you one thing. I had firewall 5 EPRS wing King Endorsements until I ran into one E-9. I did not kiss his ass and got a 4APR I was done. After that 4 EPR I got another 5APR not firewall (it was a 2 year assignment.) Then 4 straight firewall EPRS to include a base level award for my AFSC and I was still missing SMSgt by 60 points. Now you want to put a board score on MSgts. We don’t have enough ASS Kisses already? Well one question for you when every SSgt and TSgt is running around kissing ass going to school and doing volunteering who the Fu*K is going to get the mission done? I had no problems retiring as a MSgt that was my goal when I joined. I did not stay in for the money I make a hell of a lot more now than I ever did as an MSgt. I loved the AF it was very good to me.
FYI I put MSgt on it 15

Hard Charger SF
11-30-2013, 04:53 PM
The only reason I even got my CCAF was to counsel my young SSgts. How could I tell them they needed to get a CCAF to be competitive if I did not have one.

Really? Come on now.
However, I do agree with the majority of your reply. It seems as if there will ALWAYS be flaws when it comes down to our promotion system ... no matter how many times "they" decide to change [fix] it. There is just no perfect solution. Something tells me the Air Force is about to be very bold though here in the next few years.

imported_AFKILO7
11-30-2013, 06:19 PM

1) Still a rumor.
2) Making MSgt promotion similar to E-8/E-9 would be a mistake in my opinion. The SF career field is already filled with ass kissers, "HUA'd" out retards and people that quite frankly would be better off in posted permanently under their supervisors desk. My making the MSgt promotion similar the backstabbing, passive aggressiveness seen by E7's and E8's will have a negative transfer to TSgt's. TSgt's should be the technical experts. If this idea comes to fruition the AF will be full of careerist minded E6's who will no longer be the expert because they will be too busy filling blocks.

I agree with this sentiment.

No our biggest problem is with upholding standards throughout the ENTIRE spectrum. Please explain why you feel dropping the HYT to 14 or lower will help.

Yup. Missed MSgt last year by 3.25, I started studying in October.

Getting your CCAF takes some sacrifice, but with places like AMU completing your CCAF should be a piece of cake. The tone of your statement gets to me just a bit though.

The reason you will get negative feedback is because the tone is mixture of "high-and-mighty", troll and douche bag. No offense.

Same to you.

akruse
11-30-2013, 09:41 PM
MSgt boards are pretty far from a rumor. Straight out the CMSAF's mouth was that they are aiming for next cycle but will be implemented by the cycle after for sure. That was last month.

BOSS302
12-01-2013, 01:03 AM
MSgt boards are pretty far from a rumor. Straight out the CMSAF's mouth was that they are aiming for next cycle but will be implemented by the cycle after for sure. That was last month.

Yea? Well I'm aiming next year to win the lottery. Doesn't mean it will happen.

More rumor mill bullshit.

BOSS302
12-01-2013, 01:04 AM

I'm guessing he's a week removed from FTAC. This guy has one post to his name and he already sucks.

Hard Charger SF
12-01-2013, 02:28 AM
For more guidance on E-7 boards, please see new thread:
E-7 Boards Set To Begin in FY 15

Contains guidance from CMSgt Myers & new USAFE Command Chief, CMSgt Davis regarding MSgt Boards.

ffdan
12-01-2013, 03:18 AM
This has the smell of a HQ USAFE individual unofficially releasing some ideas being kicked around the upper echelons (i.e. 14 yr or lower HYT)...or it's someone going through NCOA that listened during sit down with the Chiefs and is listing what he/she heard. Given the tone of this post I'd have to say it's the former of the two. Possibly worth seeing past the brashness and getting a feel for the new attitudes your leadership will be sporting because of eventual new guidance.

akruse
12-01-2013, 03:20 AM
This has the smell of a HQ USAFE individual unofficially releasing some ideas being kicked around the upper echelons (i.e. 14 yr or lower HYT)...or it's someone going through NCOA that listened during sit down with the Chiefs and is quoting what he/she heard. To quote that much word for word, they must have a fantastic memory or they were "that douche" who brought a tape recorder to a Q & A. Given the tone of this post I'd have to say it's the former of the two. Possibly worth seeing past the brashness and getting a feel for the new attitudes your leadership will be sporting because of eventual new guidance.

I'm used to the "we're going to do X and Y" being released by so and so but to hear it directly from the CMSAF, I tend to think the "kicking around" has been done already. My feeling is this is going to happen, probably not this cycle obviously but next one for sure.

imnohero
12-01-2013, 03:46 AM
seriously, how many times have we been through this sort of "the chief of xyz said..." sort of thing about a policy change, only to have the official policy release be different or not at all.

Bottom line: Until the official policy change is published, MSgt boards are little more than a rumor. True, it's gotten a lot of attention, but that doesn't make it not a rumor. The only thing that makes it fact is a published policy.

Capt Alfredo
12-01-2013, 08:27 PM
For more guidance on E-7 boards, please see new thread:
E-7 Boards Set To Begin in FY 15

Contains guidance from CMSgt Myers & new USAFE Command Chief, CMSgt Davis regarding MSgt Boards.

Guess what? I don't take guidance from component command Command Chiefs...

RetC141BFCC
12-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Really? Come on now.
However, I do agree with the majority of your reply. It seems as if there will ALWAYS be flaws when it comes down to our promotion system ... no matter how many times "they" decide to change [fix] it. There is just no perfect solution. Something tells me the Air Force is about to be very bold though here in the next few years.

Did not get my CCAF till had retirment orders in hand.

Juggs
12-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Is this the birth thread of another shadow poster? We had AOD, PT GOD, and a few others. While some of it has merit, it's certainly troll bait.

It would appear so. I can't get beyond his silly name.

Juggs
12-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Did not get my CCAF till had retirment orders in hand.

I truly still see no reason to get a ccaf unless its specifically to make E8. Other than its useless.

RetC141BFCC
12-04-2013, 03:27 PM
I truly still see no reason to get a ccaf unless its specifically to make E8. Other than its useless.

Hate to disagree with you but you are wrong there. My CCAF has done two things for me since retirement. One it got me a Job as an Instructor at an Airframe and Powerplant JR college. I had an A+P License but since the college gave credit hours all instructors had two have a least an Associate Degree.
Two I was allowed to transfer all Credit Hours to the National Labor College which is an accredited college that focuses on labor History. So you never knew what the future holds.

RetC141BFCC
12-04-2013, 03:28 PM
It would appear so. I can't get beyond his silly name.

I hope not I was one of the dudes who fell for PT GOD, You got to admit he was funny

Juggs
12-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Hate to disagree with you but you are wrong there. My CCAF has done two things for me since retirement. One it got me a Job as an Instructor at an Airframe and Powerplant JR college. I had an A+P License but since the college gave credit hours all instructors had two have a least an Associate Degree.
Two I was allowed to transfer all Credit Hours to the National Labor College which is an accredited college that focuses on labor History. So you never knew what the future holds.

Yet the AF spews it as show you have a better understanding of your AFSC and better leadership skills. BS for my old AFSC. You don't get any certs in my career field that apply to the outside. Also, the only classes need to get your ccaf are your gen eds. So waste time on a ccaf or shoot straight for the bachelors.

Old boss of mine was refused a retirement medal because he didn't get his ccaf. He had a bachelors but the AF wouldn't accept his math class from PURDUE!!!!

I'm certainly not against getting more knowledge, but the ccaf has always been pitched to me as showing your desire to be better at your AFSC when it just isn't. You're also the first person I've ever heard say that having a ccaf actually helped you on the outside.

RetC141BFCC
12-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Yet the AF spews it as show you have a better understanding of your AFSC and better leadership skills. BS for my old AFSC. You don't get any certs in my career field that apply to the outside. Also, the only classes need to get your ccaf are your gen eds. So waste time on a ccaf or shoot straight for the bachelors.

Old boss of mine was refused a retirement medal because he didn't get his ccaf. He had a bachelors but the AF wouldn't accept his math class from PURDUE!!!!

I'm certainly not against getting more knowledge, but the ccaf has always been pitched to me as showing your desire to be better at your AFSC when it just isn't. You're also the first person I've ever heard say that having a ccaf actually helped you on the outside.

I got the CCAF. What I did not due until I got out and should have done in the AF is get my A+P Lic

BRUWIN
12-08-2013, 03:14 AM
The process to get an A&P is a lot easier now than it was when I was a maintenance guy. I wanted to go through the current process but they denied me because I was out of the career field too long.

WeaponsTSGT
12-08-2013, 03:56 PM
The process to get an A&P is a lot easier now than it was when I was a maintenance guy. I wanted to go through the current process but they denied me because I was out of the career field too long.

Yep, it's not near as bad as it used to be, at least once a year I see a flyer in the AMU advertising the prep classes. Not sure it's a career I'd go into after the USAF, after 18 years I don't really want anything to do with planes any longer. We have an ART who has his A&P and some electronic certifications and he's an ART because the job security and pay is much better.

jondstewart
05-10-2014, 08:28 AM
Looks like the Air Force is eventually going back to its old ways of promotion! And now getting rid of SSgt's at 15 years, even though many made it later than that back then. Back in the 1990's you did NOT make SSgt before 6-7 years unless you had all 5 EPR's and/or scored at least low 70's on both tests. It didn't happen! I know it sucks considering you have functional illiterates in the Army that are easily E5's in 4 years and E7's at 12 years! And for many years, you had a lot of good NCO's that retired as TSgt's or even SSgt's in some cases. The old school was dedicated to their jobs. Education was usually something you did after you got out or retired unless you had the money or the drive. And you had to go to a building at night.

I made SSgt at 8 years with one 5 and 4 4's on my EPR's, one AF Achievement Medal, and a cutoff at around 320. It was certainly something to overcome, but I did it! And TSgt came at 15 years, which was really not unusual back in the early 2000's, but most people actually made it 2-3 years before.

So mixed feelings about this new promotion. But over the past several years, you have just as many SSgt's and TSgt's as you do Airmen! Not right! Being an NCO is not something for everyone and if you can't get out of your comfort zone of being a worker and stepping up, delegating, and taking charge, you don't need to be one!

jondstewart
05-10-2014, 08:32 AM
On the first paragraph, I meant many did not make TSgt before 15 years