PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Bailouts Begin: A Holiday Season Miracle or a Delay on the Inevitable?

AJBIGJ
11-29-2013, 03:54 PM
After all of the financial troubles the city of Detroit has experienced over the past year, FEMA has granted them an unexpected gift over the holiday season:

To counteract the recent retirements of many older firefighters and the inability to make budgetary allowances to hire more, $24.2 Million has been granted to the City to hire additional firefighters and fund their salaried employment over the next two years:

FEMA Provides Aid to Detroit:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131129/METRO01/311290027/-24-2M-federal-grant-hire-150-Detroit-firefighters-godsend-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Is this something you would consider mostly positive, mostly negative, or something in-between?

Juggs
11-29-2013, 03:55 PM
Is something. I think it's a positive for public safety however, it's a bandaid.

imported_WILDJOKER5
12-02-2013, 04:31 PM
After all of the financial troubles the city of Detroit has experienced over the past year, FEMA has granted them an unexpected gift over the holiday season:

To counteract the recent retirements of many older firefighters and the inability to make budgetary allowances to hire more, $24.2 Million has been granted to the City to hire additional firefighters and fund their salaried employment over the next two years:

FEMA Provides Aid to Detroit:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131129/METRO01/311290027/-24-2M-federal-grant-hire-150-Detroit-firefighters-godsend-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Is this something you would consider mostly positive, mostly negative, or something in-between?

And this is why filibustering appointies is important. I am sure the head of FEMA now was filibustered, or should have been if they knew that they would just give money away like this. Wow, and just immagine what this is going to look like in many other agencies that wont be able to vet Obama's recess appointies and no Judges that will claim it against the law?

AJBIGJ
12-02-2013, 04:37 PM
And this is why filibustering appointies is important. I am sure the head of FEMA now was filibustered, or should have been if they knew that they would just give money away like this. Wow, and just immagine what this is going to look like in many other agencies that wont be able to vet Obama's recess appointies and no Judges that will claim it against the law?

I think the better question is not "which individual was in the seat at a given time" but "whether and by what legislation are they given the indiscriminate authority to do so"?

If they're given the authority in the first place, they will inevitably use it, if not, it only becomes a question of why nothing is being done about it.

I'd speculate the authority has been granted to the person in question somewhere along the line. I think that is where the bigger problem lies.

kool-aid
12-03-2013, 01:18 AM
The best use for Detroit would be to surround it with a giant wall and drop criminals in it like in "Escape from New York."

AJBIGJ
12-03-2013, 05:42 PM
Detroit has been ruled eligible for Chapter 9 Bankruptcy protections:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/michelinemaynard/2013/12/03/detroit-is-eligible-for-bankruptcy-and-city-pensions-are-at-risk/

garhkal
12-03-2013, 10:25 PM
The best use for Detroit would be to surround it with a giant wall and drop criminals in it like in "Escape from New York."

Only after the lions get moved out!