PDA

View Full Version : AF drops bonueses for 46 career fields. Gives 8 days instead of 30 to grab bonus

SomeRandomGuy
11-27-2013, 04:35 PM
So, yesterday the AF announced they are dropping 46 AFSCs from the SRB list. Among the drops are some career fields where people in the past re-trained specifically to get the bonus (sensor operator, contracting, osi, etc). That part in and of itself is interesting but the AF took things one step further. After announcing the bonuses were being dropped they are allowing 8 calendar days instead of 30 for people to re-enlist and stil get the bonus. When did corporate AF decide to announce this change? Yep, you guessed it 2 days before thanksgiving. So, imagine with me for a second you are in one of these career fields. The announcement came out yesterday. If you got the news late you could go to MPF today (if they aren't closed already for thanksgiving) and fill out paperwork to re-enlist. After that you still need your commanders or someone on G series orders to approve. You then need to drop your paperwork back off at MPF and pick up your contract when complete. The AF in its generosity is giving you 8 days to complete your re-enlistment. Of those 8 days 1 is thanksgiving, 1 is a likely family day, and 2 are the weekend. What they really gave you was 3 days next week to get all this accomplished.

I talked to a friend earlier who supervises a contracting Amn. When the news broke he contacted his troop who was already on leave (this might be one of the times when people don't mind getting called on leave). His troop is in the process of changing his airline tickets and cancelling his thanksgiving plans so he can return to home station and re-enlist. I have to imagine other people are stationed OConus and have no option to return in time to recieve the bonus. This really seems like a big Eff you from leadership. I realize you are never guaranteed a bonus until it is included in your signed contract. With that being said I am guessing there are at least a few hundred Airmen who are a little pissed off right now (in 46 career fields). Does this affect anyone here?

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20131126/BENEFITS/311260026/Re-up-bonuses-dropped-46-AFSCs

P.S. I created this thread eariler and included the link now its stuck in moderation. Please delete that thread mods.

Sergeant eNYgma
11-27-2013, 04:52 PM
Yep, great job AF.

I'm affected but it doesn't matter I miss being in Zone B where I have to be by like 3 months.

Bohica
11-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Yea, my friend called me last night and told me about the change. fortunately I was able to reenlist as a sensor operator last week and get the bonus. However, I have a co worker who is retraining into the 1N1x1A field and he won't be finished until january. Needless to say, he wasn't happy about the news when he found out.

SomeRandomGuy
11-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Yep, great job AF.

I'm affected but it doesn't matter I miss being in Zone B where I have to be by like 3 months.

So you already got a Zone A bonus and you have too much retainability to re-enlist for even 3 years? I am guessing that is your situation. There is a rule that you can never have more than 6 years of obligated service. A lot of times MPF will tell you it is too soon to re-enlist if you still have liek 3 years left but it is still possible. There is a loophole where you can transfer GI Bill benefits to your kids or spouse (which requires 6 years obligated service). If you are doing that you can add on 3 years or whatever you need and get a small bonus. This advice isn't helpful now though because doing taht would be impossible in basically 3 days.

Sergeant eNYgma
11-27-2013, 05:09 PM
So you already got a Zone A bonus and you have too much retainability to re-enlist for even 3 years? I am guessing that is your situation. There is a rule that you can never have more than 6 years of obligated service. A lot of times MPF will tell you it is too soon to re-enlist if you still have liek 3 years left but it is still possible. There is a loophole where you can transfer GI Bill benefits to your kids or spouse (which requires 6 years obligated service). If you are doing that you can add on 3 years or whatever you need and get a small bonus. This advice isn't helpful now though because doing taht would be impossible in basically 3 days.

My career had no Zone A to my knowledge only B....I extended because of an assignment to Korea and was allowed to keep the extension even though ther assignment was cancelled. Just had to hang on until next Feb and I would have been in Zone B.

Capt Alfredo
11-27-2013, 05:29 PM
It's shitty that they cut the time to make arrangements down, but I'm seeing way too much entitlement mentality on getting SRBs. You're not entitled to one. The purpose of the SRB is to affect retention. If we corporately have enough retention, no need for an SRB. I agree the message is "if you don't like it, GTFO."

SomeRandomGuy
11-27-2013, 05:57 PM
It's shitty that they cut the time to make arrangements down, but I'm seeing way too much entitlement mentality on getting SRBs. You're not entitled to one. The purpose of the SRB is to affect retention. If we corporately have enough retention, no need for an SRB. I agree the message is "if you don't like it, GTFO."

I understand what you are saying but in some cases the bonuses are a sort of an unwritten agreement. Contracting used to have a multiplier of 7 for their bonus. I always heard people say "man I want to retrain into contracting that bonus would be amazing" I haven't heard many people say, "Man I would love to do contracting it sounds like a great job" So in some cases people joined a career field on the assumption that they can get a bonus later. They are filing a need for the AF in exchange for hopefully getting a monetary return. Granted these people were stupid for something doing something in the hopes that the benefit would be their in the future but in a weird sort of way they are kind of entitled to a bonus. Of course they are only entitled to that bonus in the same way that you are entitled to free healthcare for life as a retiree. Still seems kind of shitty the the AF pulled the rug out then said here you can have 8 days to still get the bonus but good like trying to get in done because we are announcing this during the thansgiving holiday. I think the Fuck you message is definitly understood by those affected though.

Sergeant eNYgma
11-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Ok fine they're for retention.....w/e. Career fields like Contracting I see being gutted becasue people won't hang around and the damn bonus will probably go back on the list. I can't really speak for my career field though. Last I was told we were making gains with getting extra bodies but not enough to do away with the bonus. Either way they have me thinking now..........

Sergeant eNYgma
11-27-2013, 06:09 PM
I understand what you are saying but in some cases the bonuses are a sort of an unwritten agreement. Contracting used to have a multiplier of 7 for their bonus. I always heard people say "man I want to retrain into contracting that bonus would be amazing" I haven't heard many people say, "Man I would love to do contracting it sounds like a great job" So in some cases people joined a career field on the assumption that they can get a bonus later. They are filing a need for the AF in exchange for hopefully getting a monetary return. Granted these people were stupid for something doing something in the hopes that the benefit would be their in the future but in a weird sort of way they are kind of entitled to a bonus. Of course they are only entitled to that bonus in the same way that you are entitled to free healthcare for life as a retiree. Still seems kind of shitty the the AF pulled the rug out then said here you can have 8 days to still get the bonus but good like trying to get in done because we are announcing this during the thansgiving holiday. I think the Fuck you message is definitly understood by those affected though.

I've heard the same from people retraining into Contracting. Many friends were looking into it...hell I was about to start looking into it myself. No longer though....

Juggs
11-27-2013, 06:47 PM
Sounds like you all need some TACPness in your lives. Still a large SRB. Rarely see your annoying family. Live in the afghan countryside with those pesky things like Internet, running water, and consistent electricity. Hey there is a bonus though.

imported_blacksheep1208
11-28-2013, 05:41 AM
That loud screeching noise you just heard was the gravy train coming to a halt. This has been coming for some time for 1N's. They've retrained so many people from ammo, weapons, maintenance, and security forces in. I'm surprised the bonuses didn't go away sooner. And are the people that are going for sensor operator really surprised? Iraq is over and Afghanistan will be done soon if we are all lucky. Don't need a whole ton of people to watch Predator and Reaper lines that don't exist.

waveshaper2
11-29-2013, 09:39 AM
More potential cuts to pay (special duty pay) or more scare tactics?
http://www.stripes.com/special-pays-would-be-first-casualty-of-delayed-defense-bill-1.254910

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-29-2013, 01:41 PM
More potential cuts to pay (special duty pay) or more scare tactics?
http://www.stripes.com/special-pays-would-be-first-casualty-of-delayed-defense-bill-1.254910

I agree with bonuses to meter retention, but never understood Hostile Fire Pay. You get a paycheck to wear the uniform, but if you actually have to do (go to war) what we trained you to do, then we need to pay you MORE? Makes no sense. I wonder what kind of HFP WW2, Korean War or Vietnam vets got?

waveshaper2
11-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I agree with bonuses to meter retention, but never understood Hostile Fire Pay. You get a paycheck to wear the uniform, but if you actually have to do (go to war) what we trained you to do, then we need to pay you MORE? Makes no sense. I wonder what kind of HFP WW2, Korean War or Vietnam vets got?

Good question. I looked up a 1969 Vietnam era pay chart (DFAS). 1969= Aviation Pay, Sub Pay, Physician +Dentist Special Pay, Other specials Pays, Sea Pay +Foreign Duty Pay (pay is by grade), FSA $30, Hostile Fire Pay $65, and Hazardous Duty Pay (Officer $110/Enlisted$55).

Juggs
11-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Limit hostile fire to places where hostile fire is likely. Not Al Udeid or Manas. Not sure if they even still get it. How about prorating it for aircrews. You don't get it for the month for setting foot there for a day then leaving.

As for bonuses I see TACPs bonus getting whittled away shortly as well.

Chief_KO
11-29-2013, 02:51 PM
SRBs have always been a sore subject for many. HFP was probably not around for Vietnam and before since that was a draft military (edit I see another post has found Vietnam era HFP). The all volunteer force has hidden costs that are now starting to come to light.
Military service is starting to resemble what is was like in the late 70's.
Less than 5% of VFW membership is age 35 and below, 33% of VFW posts nationwide are only meeting rooms (no more bar/restaurant, etc.)
Twelve years of war drawing to a close without a clear victory (or clear defeat).
Less than 10% of those eligible are members of AFSA (so Congress thinks 90% are happy with the loss of benefits, lower than the law directed pay raises, etc.)
Administration is less than 100% supportive of those in uniform and those that went before them.
Bases are ghost towns, a place to go to work and leave as soon as work is over.
Faith in the organization, leadership is declining (and more and more each day).
Frustration over lack of direction, knee jerk reactions is increasing (and more and more each day).

The only upside is eventually hitting rock bottom and eventually rising back up. I just hope it doesn't come as the result of another 9/11 or something worse.

BigBaze
11-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Limit hostile fire to places where hostile fire is likely. Not Al Udeid or Manas. Not sure if they even still get it. How about prorating it for aircrews. You don't get it for the month for setting foot there for a day then leaving.

As for bonuses I see TACPs bonus getting whittled away shortly as well.

I think they do prorate it already

Juggs
11-29-2013, 06:09 PM
I think they do prorate it already

I know family sep is prorated. I didn't think HFP was.

RetC141BFCC
11-29-2013, 06:14 PM
I thought I read where they changed that. I remember in the 90s flying in to Saudi spending 19 hours on the ground and getting tax free and hostile fire for the whole month. I flew a lot with Reserve Flight Crews. They could schedule a mission. Fly to Germany spend 24 hours in Germany partying then Fly to Saudi spend 19 hours on the ground a few times it was from the 31st to the 1st get two months tax breaks hostile fire pay then back to Germany. One year I only paid taxes for two months. It was a SCAM designed by Officers for Officers. Some times the enlisted got a little taste

akruse
11-29-2013, 07:33 PM
I know family sep is prorated. I didn't think HFP was.

It is

Juggs
11-29-2013, 07:44 PM
It is

Aha. I sit corrected

imported_Sgt HULK
12-02-2013, 04:57 PM

I was a part of that jump 4 yrs ago during the 7 SRB, it was nice, but there is a reason why the job was undermanned and high bonus for so long. High ops tempo, long hours, and a lot of info. in 4 years i deployed a few times, 8 TDY's, missed half of 2011, 3/4 of 2012 amd 3/4 of 2013 as well to the point i was on the verge of losing my family, its not all glitz and glam, but the job did get me into OTS so all the effort was worth it

BRUWIN
12-03-2013, 03:00 AM

Amen to that!

Juggs
12-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Reenlist TACP if you want a bonus!!!!! Oh wait, no slots right now. Good luck!!

sandsjames
12-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Surprised it took the AF this long to cut the SRB's. They don't need specific retention as they are becoming very comfortable with mandatory cross training people into those career fields that need the people. Hell, why pay someone when you can screw someone else?

BRUWIN
12-08-2013, 03:09 AM
My troops would pull up next to me in the parking lot with some rides that were way over what I could afford. These bonuses were much to genorous to begin with.