PDA

View Full Version : Best or Most Practical Doo-dad you've seen

Chief_KO
11-27-2013, 03:21 PM
We've all bemoaned the standard going away or award doo-dad given out that usually winds up in a storage container (or worse yet in the trash).
What doo-dad have you received or seen that was practical, useful, or just plain cool in its personalization or meaning?

My most practical was a Columbia sportswear winter jacket received for being an ORI Outstanding Performer.

jpeters
11-27-2013, 03:53 PM
When I PCS'd from Aviano I was given a pint class with my time there and our squadron info etched in the class. Very practical! I use it almost daily.

Juggs
11-27-2013, 03:56 PM
I got a dive knife on my plaque from Ft Lewis. It hangs on the plaque but is removable.

Gonzo432
11-27-2013, 04:27 PM
We've all bemoaned the standard going away or award doo-dad given out that usually winds up in a storage container (or worse yet in the trash).
What doo-dad have you received or seen that was practical, useful, or just plain cool in its personalization or meaning?

My most practical was a Columbia sportswear winter jacket received for being an ORI Outstanding Performer.

+1 for using "Doo-Dad", I haven't heard that in ages.

Stalwart
11-27-2013, 04:34 PM
The most meaningful going-away item I have received was from my last platoon, a copy of Message to Garcia signed by Elbert Hubbard.

The most practical was from the wardroom on my last ship: a table saw.

Maybe the most useful (TBD): I had my exit interview with my boss (a U.S. Senator) last week, she ave me her personal line and was adamant that if we ran into hiccups in China with our daughter to call her right away.

DWWSWWD
11-27-2013, 05:30 PM
My going away gift from a very special unit I was assigned to was a Kimber Pro-Eclipse .45. A very useful doo-dad. I like the unit coins that double as bottle openers.

Capt Alfredo
11-27-2013, 05:42 PM
The most meaningful going-away item I have received was from my last platoon, a copy of Message to Garcia signed by Elbert Hubbard.

The most practical was from the wardroom on my last ship: a table saw.

Maybe the most useful (TBD): I had my exit interview with my boss (a U.S. Senator) last week, she ave me her personal line and was adamant that if we ran into hiccups in China with our daughter to call her right away.

There is no worse leadership/followership parable in existence than the Message to Garcia. Freaking HATE that. It's an excuse for leadership to issue vague guidance and then bitch when the subordinate finds Mencia or Gonzales instead. Used the wrong way, it can also lead to enormously-misdirected energy on behalf of the subordinate. It's one thing if I tell you my desired endstate and let you figure out how to achieve it, it's another if I am obtuse and fail to be sufficiently specific in what I'm after.

raustin0017
11-27-2013, 06:24 PM
The officiator at my retirement presented to me (in private) a very nice watch...I wear it all the time. (No pun intended)

Stalwart
11-27-2013, 06:43 PM
There is no worse leadership/followership parable in existence than the Message to Garcia. Freaking HATE that. It's an excuse for leadership to issue vague guidance and then bitch when the subordinate finds Mencia or Gonzales instead. Used the wrong way, it can also lead to enormously-misdirected energy on behalf of the subordinate. It's one thing if I tell you my desired endstate and let you figure out how to achieve it, it's another if I am obtuse and fail to be sufficiently specific in what I'm after.

And to each their own I guess.

LogDog
11-27-2013, 09:33 PM
At one shop, I started a weekly "Office Dork" award in jest. Each week I'd rotate the award, unless someone said or did something stupid, and everyone waited to see who would get the award. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't meant to embarrass anyone but to get everyone laughing and having some fun. When I PCS'd, one of the gifts I received was a key-ring with a metal tag engraved with "Office Dork" on it. I cracked up laughing, and so did everyone else, when I opened the box and saw it. It was probably the best going away gift I ever received.

WCS
11-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Power drill driver

I haven't used a Yankee or a speed handle in many many years

At home I use a mini impact like this one

http://www.cpoindustrialpowertools.com/factory-reconditioned-makita-btd141z-r-18v-cordless-lxt-lithium-ion-1-4-in-impact-driver--bare-tool-/mktrbtd141z-r,default,pd.html&xsell=makita-tools--makita-impact-drivers-and-wrenches--4

Chief_KO
11-28-2013, 03:03 PM
At one shop, I started a weekly "Office Dork" award in jest. Each week I'd rotate the award, unless someone said or did something stupid, and everyone waited to see who would get the award. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't meant to embarrass anyone but to get everyone laughing and having some fun. When I PCS'd, one of the gifts I received was a key-ring with a metal tag engraved with "Office Dork" on it. I cracked up laughing, and so did everyone else, when I opened the box and saw it. It was probably the best going away gift I ever received.

Key to being a good and effective leader. Being able to laugh at yourself. Too many get butt hurt when they get called out. Once we had a chili cookoff and mine was voted "wimpiest"...the NCO in charge of the event came to me and said they would announce the #2 wimpiest as the "winner" so I wouldn't be embarrassed or upset. I respectfully told him that if mine was voted wimpiest, than so be it. I proudly received the "wimpy" award. I forget what it was, but pretty sure it was pink.

DocBones
11-28-2013, 03:09 PM
I was given a keg of beer, a siphon for the keg of beer, and a vuvuzuela, to assist in drinking the beer. That vuvuzuela, used as a beer bong, then used as a device to shut up the little dog/big bark, as in 16 hours per day, has proved to be a very useful doo dad!

TSgt"M"
11-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Not practical at all....but one of the few things I was given...and actually display, is a tail rotor blade (little bird) mounted on a plaque with a cool inscription given to me by a army aviation unit that I was assigned with. Even though these guys were true snake eaters and I was their pet AF girl scout they made feel like I really belonged with them.

Kicker47
12-03-2013, 03:58 PM
We gave an AMMO troop a beer mug etched with his name, dates, shop, squadron logo, etc. We knew he had no use for plaques or pen sets. He loved it.

Another AMMO troop received a removable hand axe mounted on a wooden base. This was in reference to the time he had to go to the ER while on leave because he sliced the back of his hand off using a hunting knife to "cut wood". We inscribed something about "the right tool for the job". It was very cool.

My favorite was when I left QA, the guys made a plaque that looked like the head and shoulders silhoutte on a target, and mounted a Nerf Rifle on it. Still take it off the wall and use it to this day.

I think the coolest one I've seen was a backlit etched-glass wooden box. I had a SSgt in the shop that was a wiz with woodworking and little wiring projects and such. He handmade it over a weekend, and it looked incredible. That guy needed to start himself a business...