PDA

View Full Version : Idiots at the gym.

jshiver15
11-23-2013, 04:49 PM
(From my Facebook)

Gym etiquette in the style of Jeff Foxworthy:

If you wear a cut-off t-shirt and neglect to wipe your sweat off of the equipment, you might be a douchebag.

If you use the common gym area to do Crossfit style workouts (ie jumping from machine to machine) while the gym is busy, you might be a douchebag.

If you stand in front of the mirror next to the dumbbell racks and play "air drums" while standing in other people's way, you might be a douchebag.

If you use multiple plates, dumbells, and bars and neglect to re-rack or replace them, causing people to trip over your mess, then you're most definitely a douchebag.

All above were in reference to two guys working out together at the gym today. For that, I support 78th trimester abortion.

Juggs
11-23-2013, 04:54 PM
(From my Facebook)

If you wear a cut-off t-shirt and neglect to wipe your sweat off of the equipment, you might be a douchebag.

If you use the common gym area to do Crossfit style workouts (ie jumping from machine to machine) while the gym is busy, you might be a douchebag.

If you stand in front of the mirror next to the dumbbell racks and play "air drums" while standing in other people's way, you might be a douchebag.

If you use multiple plates, dumbells, and bars and neglect to re-rack or replace them, causing people to trip over your mess, then you're most definitely a douchebag.

All above were in reference to two guys working out together at the gym today. For that, I support 78th trimester abortion.

Well done. You forgot to add, if you wear a children's smedium under armor shirt and scream while working out so everybody sees how much weight your lifting, you might be. Douchebag.

(The smedium isn't a typo)

jshiver15
11-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Well done. You forgot to add, if you wear a children's smedium under armor shirt and scream while working out so everybody sees how much weight your lifting, you might be. Douchebag.

(The smedium isn't a typo)

I always love the smedium reference. In fact, I could probably point out a dozen dudes over 200lbs that were wearing shirts barely long enough to reach their waist line. Gotta love Army gyms (not that AF members aren't guilty of the same thing).

LogDog
11-23-2013, 05:36 PM
(From my Facebook)

If you're doing circuit training and tying up more than one machine while others are waiting to use them you're a douche bag.

If you're sitting at a machine not using it and won't move when asked because you're talking to your buddy then you're a douche bag.

jshiver15
11-23-2013, 05:47 PM
If you're doing circuit training and tying up more than one machine while others are waiting to use them you're a douche bag.

If you're sitting at a machine not using it and won't move when asked because you're talking to your buddy then you're a douche bag.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd92/jshiver15/IMG_2428_zpsa653fa8f.jpg

This is a picture I took at the gym on Thursday. I came in around 9:30am and the gym was full of spouses doing their classes and whatnot. This woman was sitting there (in the black) when I came in with a pair of 10lb dumbells sitting in her lap. I took this picture at approximately 11:00am and she was still sitting there.

Greg
11-23-2013, 05:57 PM
(From my Facebook)

If you're dropping the weights to the point where they bounce, let alone cause excessive noise, douchebag.

If you're using the squat rack while doing curls, douchebag.

TJMAC77SP
11-23-2013, 06:03 PM
If you're dropping the weights to the point where they bounce, let alone cause excessive noise, douchebag.

If you're using the squat rack while doing curls, douchebag.

My son goes to PlanetFitness and told me they have some kind of bell or alarm that they sound when tools do that (drop the weights).

Juggs
11-23-2013, 06:04 PM
If you're wearing your AF PT gear 3 sizes too big you're a douche bag

jshiver15
11-23-2013, 06:10 PM
My son goes to PlanetFitness and told me they have some kind of bell or alarm that they sound when tools do that (drop the weights).

They have what's called a "lunk" alarm, so if you drop the weights or grunt too loud an alarm is sounded and you're warned or kicked out after enough infractions. I think it's a bit excessive . . especially considering the same gym sponsors pizza parties. Seems pretty counter-intuitive.

Granted, nobody likes someone who excessively slams weights or grunts, either. To each their own.

Juggs
11-23-2013, 06:17 PM
They have what's called a "lunk" alarm, so if you drop the weights or grunt too loud an alarm is sounded and you're warned or kicked out after enough infractions. I think it's a bit excessive . . especially considering the same gym sponsors pizza parties. Seems pretty counter-intuitive.

Granted, nobody likes someone who excessively slams weights or grunts, either. To each their own.

I think it's a great idea. I also like pizza. Work hard enough to eat a few slices. Then work out till you vomit. That way it's not an eating disorder it's a workout routine.

jshiver15
11-23-2013, 06:19 PM
I think it's a great idea. I also like pizza. Work hard enough to eat a few slices. Then work out till you vomit. That way it's not an eating disorder it's a workout routine.

Like I said, to each their own. I really think it's counter-intuitive and it sets a bad precedent for what working out means for us as individuals. But hey, many people find success in it so who am I to tell them how to live their life?

TJMAC77SP
11-23-2013, 07:10 PM

THAT's what he said it was............Lunk Alarm. He actually had it activated when he accidently dropped a barbell a little too hard.

USMC0341
11-23-2013, 08:13 PM
At my old gym I went to in the 90's, we actually had a basement for serious, big weight lifting. This doubled as the place for screamers to work out in.

My current gym has some screamers; I always have headphones in and I hear them over my music. Meanwhile screamer dude is benching like 185 screaming and next to him is a quite as a mouse guy repping 275 like its nothing. Looks ridiculous.

technomage1
11-23-2013, 08:56 PM
If you enter a large common room completely empty except for 1 person working out on a mat in the corner and listening to headphones, don't set up right next to said individual and talk loudly to your buddy. Otherwise you're a douchebag

Also don't set up a dvd for two people and blast it in the room, forcing the other dozen people using it to flee to am empty handball court to hear themselves think. Bi-diouchebags

Report broken or malfunctioning equipment to the front desk, so they can, you know fix it. Don't just leave, or your a douchebag.

Don't moan loudly and after every rep while lying on the floor with your legs spread apart if you're female (yes this happened).

Juggs
11-23-2013, 09:29 PM
If you enter a large common room completely empty except for 1 person working out on a mat in the corner and listening to headphones, don't set up right next to said individual and talk loudly to your buddy. Otherwise you're a douchebag

Also don't set up a dvd for two people and blast it in the room, forcing the other dozen people using it to flee to am empty handball court to hear themselves think. Bi-diouchebags

Report broken or malfunctioning equipment to the front desk, so they can, you know fix it. Don't just leave, or your a douchebag.

Don't moan loudly and after every rep while lying on the floor with your legs spread apart if you're female (yes this happened).

Thought you were going somewhere else with that.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-23-2013, 10:02 PM
I have got to admit to being a moaner in the gym, especially when someone is spotting me and helping me squeeze out that very last possible rep.

How the fuck else are you going to communicate with your spotter?

technomage1
11-24-2013, 12:43 AM
I have got to admit to being a moaner in the gym, especially when someone is spotting me and helping me squeeze out that very last possible rep.

How the fuck else are you going to communicate with your spotter?

There's a difference between "eeeehhrrrr" of effort and "oooaaahhhh". If she's tired she should say "whew" or something. I'm just saying it was really, really distracting. I tried cranking up my headphones but she was loud, too. Falls under the consideration of others category.

Also people who wear inappropriate clothing (men with short shorts and no underwear or women wearing no bra). Please, please stop.

USMC0341
11-24-2013, 01:13 AM
Weird old guy comes to my gym to stretch... Mostly stretches you don't want to see old guys doing. Everytime I think to myself, really? Couldn't do that at home? I don't want to see you doing dirty dogs and sky humpers.

Also, guys that have to walk the length of the wall mirrors while pretending to not check themselves out, do you think everyone thinks you're just going for a stroll everytime you finish a set? Eye fuck yourself when you go home weirdo.

Gonzo432
11-24-2013, 01:28 AM
Weird old guy comes to my gym to stretch... Mostly stretches you don't want to see old guys doing. Everytime I think to myself, really? Couldn't do that at home? I don't want to see you doing dirty dogs and sky humpers.

Also, guys that have to walk the length of the wall mirrors while pretending to not check themselves out, do you think everyone thinks you're just going for a stroll everytime you finish a set? Eye fuck yourself when you go home weirdo.

Every gym is required to have a "weird old guy". The same is true with subdivisions. We have one, I don't think its me. :biggrin :painkiller

jshiver15
11-24-2013, 04:22 AM
THAT's what he said it was............Lunk Alarm. He actually had it activated when he accidently dropped a barbell a little too hard.

You can check out a multitude of YouTube videos of guys antagonizing the staff at Planet Fitness. See also: LA Fitness.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-24-2013, 05:39 AM
If you're camping out on one piece of equipment for ten minutes with your face buried into your smartphone, then you're a D-bag.

If you're the recently retired dude scoping out the young 1-striper and 2LT hunnies in the gym while wearing mirrored aviator sunglasses, then you're one smooth dude.

VCO
11-24-2013, 07:47 AM
People that grunt like they are taking a giant steamer while doing deadlifts (with entirely too much weight) and toss the weight down on the floor afterwards. I see mostly Army doing this. I laugh when they toss the weight down on their shins. Nothing like walking around the gym bloody.

VCO
11-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Back in '07 or '08, I had some Army dude ask me for a spot in a gym in BFE Iraq. Dude looked like Olive Oil. He put two 45 lb plates on the bar (135 lbs) and attempted to lift the weight and promptly dropped it on himself. I felt kind of shitty for not having enough time to react, but seriously.

technomage1
11-24-2013, 09:48 AM
When I was rehabbing my shoulder, one of the things I did was bench press. I had to lift the bar alone, which doesn't weigh much. Anyway, I'm lifting along feeling kind of foolish but following doctors orders when some putz comes over and starts to spot me.

Me: I'm fine, thanks.
Putz: But you need a spotter.
Me: No, I don't. Look, I can lift the bar with one arm. (Lifts with good arm) I'm doing some physical therapy. I'm good.
Putz: No, I need to stay. It's no problem.

So I finish my sets with the sissy weight and putz standing over me like I'm doing the bench press with the equivalent of a Buick on there or something. Sigh. I'm sure we presented quite a picture. And he was dead serious about this, it wasn't a joke.

To put it in the terms of the thread, if you insist on spotting someone pressing low amounts of weight, you're a douche.

VCO
11-24-2013, 09:59 AM
When I was rehabbing my shoulder, one of the things I did was bench press. I had to lift the bar alone, which doesn't weigh much. Anyway, I'm lifting along feeling kind of foolish but following doctors orders when some putz comes over and starts to spot me.

Me: I'm fine, thanks.
Putz: But you need a spotter.
Me: No, I don't. Look, I can lift the bar with one arm. (Lifts with good arm) I'm doing some physical therapy. I'm good.
Putz: No, I need to stay. It's no problem.

So I finish my sets with the sissy weight and putz standing over me like I'm doing the bench press with the equivalent of a Buick on there or something. Sigh. I'm sure we presented quite a picture. And he was dead serious about this, it wasn't a joke.

To put it in the terms of the thread, if you insist on spotting someone pressing low amounts of weight, you're a douche.
That is weird. Maybe he liked you? Never heard of people insisting on spotting a stranger.

technomage1
11-24-2013, 02:31 PM
That is weird. Maybe he liked you? Never heard of people insisting on spotting a stranger.

Never heard or saw him again. Who knows?

Gonzo432
11-24-2013, 06:11 PM
If you're camping out on one piece of equipment for ten minutes with your face buried into your smartphone, then you're a D-bag.

If you're the recently retired dude scoping out the young 1-striper and 2LT hunnies in the gym while wearing mirrored aviator sunglasses, then you're one smooth dude.

Is your ringtone Sade's Smooth Operator? If yes, you could be "that guy". Keep doing what you're doing until you get maced, or tasered, or beaten severely by a hottie with a black-belt.

TJMAC77SP
11-24-2013, 06:24 PM
You can check out a multitude of YouTube videos of guys antagonizing the staff at Planet Fitness. See also: LA Fitness.

Wouldn't put it past my son to do that.

technomage1
11-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Ive been checking out the planet fitness thing. They don't consider themselves a gym, per say, but a fitness chain. Their market looks to be the more casual user, hence the lunk alarm, etc.

If you're a serious lifter planet fitness probably isn't for you.

BOSS302
11-25-2013, 06:49 AM
I have a strong dislike for random Brahs who walk up while you're using a machine or a bench and ask, "Hey bro are you almost done with that?"

I believe I've told this story before; it happened while I was at Osan last year. These CrossFit brozillas were doing their bullshit in the weightroom. They had put mats in almost every power rack and both squat racks, and they were doing bullshit circuit workouts. Now please remember that Osan has a dedicated CrossFit room for these fools to do this stuff in. A couple of guys, including myself, had asked them to take their workout elsewhere; they just blew us off. I did the most Alpha Male thing I could think of - I tattled on them.

The little A1C chick from the front desk came into the room and asked them to stop it; they ignored her as well. She disappears, comes back five minutes later with a rather large, black, male MSgt. The CrossFitters vacated in a quick and disorderly fashion.

I believe every Air Force gym could do with one dedicated black , angry male MSgt.

AF Comm Guy
11-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Every gym is required to have a "weird old guy". The same is true with subdivisions. We have one, I don't think its me. :biggrin :painkiller

We've got one here at Hill. Tall and lanky fellow who is well muscled and about 2% body fat. Okay, he's fit but I've never seen anyone who seemed to put so much effort into speed walking and oblique crunches without actually doing anything. He used to be really bad about taking up three or four pieces of equipment and leaving them all sweaty but someone finally got on his ass about it.

Unless you need it for your job, if you bring your cell phone to your workout to chat with people, you're a douchebag. Music is a different matter.

If you need to bring your whole huge gym bag along to every machine, you're a douchebag. Use a locker.

We have yoga classes here and it's a nice way to cool down after a workout. However, if you smell like a bag of ass then hit the showers first. Yoga classes are often close quarters affairs and nobody wants to smell you.

Lay off the damned perfume and cologne! If you spray a ton of it on before a workout, you're a douchebag. If you use it to cover up the 'bag of ass' smell before yoga, you're a stupid douchebag.

If you see the gym as more of a dating scene, you're a douchebag. This goes equally for both sexes too. To the woman who likes to get all dolled up for her 'workout' only to go walking around the indoor track, we get it. You're out trawling for a guy because your hubby is deployed. Sorry babe but you're already known as the base housing door knob.

Speaking of the indoor track, run in the running lane and walk in the walking lane! If you're a walker and you decide the running lane is good for you then please don't act all surprised when you get a body checked like Wayne Gretzky. If you're running and need to stop, move to the side or into the walking lane. Otherwise, you're a douchebag.

I've got a whole mess of these kinds of things on my facebook page. Most are common sense and some are more location specific but you get the idea.

71Fish
11-25-2013, 01:59 PM
If you post pictures on facebook of yourself at the gym, Douchebag.

Some guys use the same clothes all week (or more) to work out in without washing. The particular guy I have in mind has BO before he works out. I'd hate to be his coworker after a workout. Douchebag.

I see a piece of equipment that has been vacant for at least 5 minutes. I go to change plates and some circuit trainer douche comes over and says "I'm using that".

Luckily when I was active duty, I used the "pilots gym" across the street. Usually I was the only one there.

Greg
11-25-2013, 02:04 PM
If your biceps are more developed than the rest of your muscle groups, douchebag.

AF Comm Guy
11-25-2013, 02:07 PM
I see a piece of equipment that has been vacant for at least 5 minutes. I go to change plates and some circuit trainer douche comes over and says "I'm using that".

SO MUCH THIS!!!

I was at the gym on a dead day and someone had left keys on a machine. I did my thing and finally got done with most of it. So, I go to get on that last machine and Capt. Douchebag walks in saying, "I'm using that." I replied, "No you're not. You've been in the other room chatting for the past thirty minutes." These over important twerps deflate fast when you call them on their bullshit.

71Fish
11-25-2013, 02:16 PM
If your biceps are more developed than the rest of your muscle groups, douchebag.

I always pick on this friend who benches 430+ but has chicken legs.

jshiver15
11-25-2013, 03:51 PM
I have a strong dislike for random Brahs who walk up while you're using a machine or a bench and ask, "Hey bro are you almost done with that?"

I believe I've told this story before; it happened while I was at Osan last year. These CrossFit brozillas were doing their bullshit in the weightroom. They had put mats in almost every power rack and both squat racks, and they were doing bullshit circuit workouts. Now please remember that Osan has a dedicated CrossFit room for these fools to do this stuff in. A couple of guys, including myself, had asked them to take their workout elsewhere; they just blew us off. I did the most Alpha Male thing I could think of - I tattled on them.

The little A1C chick from the front desk came into the room and asked them to stop it; they ignored her as well. She disappears, comes back five minutes later with a rather large, black, male MSgt. The CrossFitters vacated in a quick and disorderly fashion.

I believe every Air Force gym could do with one dedicated black , angry male MSgt.

We've got the angry retired German dudes to keep those chodes in check. They're pretty damn effective.

jshiver15
11-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Unless you need it for your job, if you bring your cell phone to your workout to chat with people, you're a douchebag. Music is a different matter.

I had just finished a set and was sitting on the edge of the bench while looking at my phone and heard some Soldier mumble to his friend that I was a "faggy texter" who should spend more time working out and less time texting. What he didn't realize is that I had saved a document detailing my exact workout prior to coming to the gym and I was annotating that I met my goal on that particular exercise. It took me less than 15 seconds to pull my phone out, make the annotation, and then put my phone back in my pocket. Then I turned around and saw him struggling to push 155lbs on the decline bench while I had just pushed out 245lb 8 times on the inclined bench.

Also . . he was wearing a Tapout shirt and had full sleeve tattoos. I guess I could have saved a decent amount of time just telling you all that to illustrate what a douchebag this guy was.

jshiver15
11-25-2013, 03:59 PM
I always pick on this friend who benches 430+ but has chicken legs.

I was deployed with a guy who could warm up with my personal best weight on the bench, but had skinny ass legs. He kept getting called out on it by some of the Soldiers he worked with until they came into our gym one day and saw him squatting 500lbs for reps. Granted, the guy was 6'3", so his legs just *looked* skinny, but he was definitely a beast.

Kicker47
11-25-2013, 04:02 PM

Speaking of the indoor track, run in the running lane and walk in the walking lane! If you're a walker and you decide the running lane is good for you then please don't act all surprised when you get a body checked like Wayne Gretzky. If you're running and need to stop, move to the side or into the walking lane. Otherwise, you're a douchebag.

Not to be "that guy", but Gretzky very rarely took a hard hit. A more appropriate reference would have been Eric Lindros. Just sayin'.:smirk:

CYBERFX1024
11-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Ive been checking out the planet fitness thing. They don't consider themselves a gym, per say, but a fitness chain. Their market looks to be the more casual user, hence the lunk alarm, etc.
If you're a serious lifter planet fitness probably isn't for you.

When I was looking around for a gym I looked at Planet Fitness, LA Fitness, and 24HR Fitness at it was to much like a fitness chain for me. The majority of the people that go there are the ones that go just to make themselves feel good, and want all the amenities that go along with it. When I went to check out Gold's Gym, the lady asked me if I wanted to see the sauna and the steam room, I told her "No, I don't want to see them" she said to my verbatim "Good, because we don't have them here" It really made me laugh but it sealed the deal for me to buy a whole year worth of membership.

I have been going for about 3 weeks now, and I really like it. Not alot of gym idiots that go there, and everyone keeps to themselves while working out.

CYBERFX1024
11-25-2013, 04:10 PM
SO MUCH THIS!!!
I was at the gym on a dead day and someone had left keys on a machine. I did my thing and finally got done with most of it. So, I go to get on that last machine and Capt. Douchebag walks in saying, "I'm using that." I replied, "No you're not. You've been in the other room chatting for the past thirty minutes." These over important twerps deflate fast when you call them on their bullshit.

I used to really hate this when I would go to workout on any base I have gone too. This doesn't matter if it's Army, Marine, or Air Force, it seems that the military does this alot. I go to a gym now and no one does that. If you ask if they are using it or go to use it after a long vacancy there is no problem. But I just use to hate that so bad. I totally understand about using supersets because I do it too. But don't go and be a gym hog and take up 4 pieces of equipment. The most I take up at a time is 2, and that's it. If someone wants to hit it while I am at the other machine then go right ahead.

USMC0341
11-25-2013, 05:11 PM
I had just finished a set and was sitting on the edge of the bench while looking at my phone and heard some Soldier mumble to his friend that I was a "faggy texter" who should spend more time working out and less time texting. What he didn't realize is that I had saved a document detailing my exact workout prior to coming to the gym and I was annotating that I met my goal on that particular exercise. It took me less than 15 seconds to pull my phone out, make the annotation, and then put my phone back in my pocket. Then I turned around and saw him struggling to push 155lbs on the decline bench while I had just pushed out 245lb 8 times on the inclined bench.

Also . . he was wearing a Tapout shirt and had full sleeve tattoos. I guess I could have saved a decent amount of time just telling you all that to illustrate what a douchebag this guy was.

You had me at Tapout...

USMC0341
11-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Just got back from the gym and listened to a lunkhead screamer. Screaming as though he was curling a thousand lbs, meanwhile quiet me is next to him doing 30lbs more without the look at me lift bullshit... I thnk he is just there to try and pick up women, because i have not seen him increase any weight for the past 3 months he has been screaming.

SomeRandomGuy
11-25-2013, 05:22 PM
One of my friends posted this on FB the other day (she is a female).

"Little miss push-up bra tried to out sprint me today. Not gonna happen!"

I responded by pointing out that maybe it would have been easier to win the race if she wasn't staring at the other girl's boobs. It is not surprising at all that some women feel intimidated at the gym. Some women even join all female gys which is funny because it is usually the other women who judge them the most at the gym.

AJBIGJ
11-25-2013, 06:58 PM
I question the sanity of the man who does get offended by the female who, works out and is very visibly rewarded for her efforts, and decides to "flaunt it" a bit. I don't even care if she's the hoochie wife of some dude on deployment, if I wasn't married I would still question the intelligence of picking up a girl out of the gym.

Rusty Jones
11-25-2013, 07:40 PM
I question the sanity of the man who does get offended by the female who, works out and is very visibly rewarded for her efforts, and decides to "flaunt it" a bit.

To an extent, I understand why some might get offended... particularly, when she uses her "rewards" to get whatever she wants. Mind you, this isn't a case of "breast envy." It's just that sometimes, dudes are willing fuck their buddies in order to get to the goods.

Or... she may engage in the very impudent act of trying to get something from YOU. I don't come across as a sucker, so this doesn't usually doesn't happen to me. I'm 34, and the only time I can remember it happening to me is when I was 18. I recall responding with something like, "Yeah? So are we gonna fuck if I do this?"

71Fish
11-25-2013, 07:54 PM
To an extent, I understand why some might get offended... particularly, when she uses her "rewards" to get whatever she wants. Mind you, this isn't a case of "breast envy." It's just that sometimes, dudes are willing fuck their buddies in order to get to the goods.

Or... she may engage in the very impudent act of trying to get something from YOU. I don't come across as a sucker, so this doesn't usually doesn't happen to me. I'm 34, and the only time I can remember it happening to me is when I was 18. I recall responding with something like, "Yeah? So are we gonna fuck if I do this?"

Do you wear spaghetti tank tops to the base gym?

Rusty Jones
11-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Do you wear spaghetti tank tops to the base gym?

I might be fat enough to have the tits for them.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-26-2013, 02:53 AM
I can't believe nobody posted this already, but what about those 20-somethings who always carry around a half gallon jug of protein drink? They're D-bags too. As a 45 yr old guy who's been there/done that, I'd like to tell them that they're wasting their effing money on that supplement crap. Guess what? If you use that stuff, you too will one day have a 45 yr old body like me. If you DON'T use that stuff, then you guessed it...you will also have a 45 yr old body like me! Do yourself a favor and put that supplement money into investments. Your 45 yr old self will one day thank you for it!

TJMAC77SP
11-26-2013, 03:13 AM
I can't believe nobody posted this already, but what about those 20-somethings who always carry around a half gallon jug of protein drink? They're D-bags too. As a 45 yr old guy who's been there/done that, I'd like to tell them that they're wasting their effing money on that supplement crap. Guess what? If you use that stuff, you too will one day have a 45 yr old body like me. If you DON'T use that stuff, then you guessed it...you will also have a 45 yr old body like me! Do yourself a favor and put that supplement money into investments. Your 45 yr old self will one day thank you for it!

Please tell my son that.

Reminds me of a scene from The Big Bang Theory. Penny is shopping for vitamins and supplements and Sheldon tells her she has the ingredients for some very expensive pee there.

BOSS302
11-26-2013, 09:25 AM

Please tell my son that.

Reminds me of a scene from The Big Bang Theory. Penny is shopping for vitamins and supplements and Sheldon tells her she has the ingredients for some very expensive pee there.

It's interesting to note that serious body builders and actors who must bulk-up for movie roles do not woof down supplements. They eat several high-protein, high-fiber, low fat/low carb meals per day. Hugh Jackman and Dwayne Johnson, for example, bulk up with steak, chicken, brown rice, and broccoli.

I was guilty of using whey protein drinks in excess. I wondered why I wasn't seeing the results I expected after 12 weeks. I took about a two week's break from the gym and actually educated myself; I read several peer-reviewed work-out articles and nutrition articles (not the shitmag Men's Health in the BX check-out aisle....GET RIPPED IN 15 DAYS! yea fuck off).

I realized that not only was my meal plan pathetic, but my workouts were also doing me no good. But I also learned something else - not everyone is built to get big. Some people can get "big" but they will not get that shredded look. Some can get the body of a Greek god but put them on a track and they'll be winded after 100 feet. Others are simply physically gifted.

It sounds really simpleton perhaps, but I realized that I had been an absolute noob in regards to working out. Once I adjusted how I ate and corrected my workouts, I began to see some results. But most importantly, I was happy with the results because I know my body's limits. I can get some size, but I'll never be a Dwayne Johnson. That acceptance, coupled with realistic goals and confidence in myself instead of striving to look like something else, really helped me out when it comes to the weight room.

Before, I was walking around with a giant gym bag full of pre-work out, intra-work out, post work-out, and whey powders. I went between each machine with a notebook tracking each rep for each exercise. Now, it's just a big bottle of cool water and my iPod with some rock music, and a few simple, basic, and effective workouts. No notebook.

Took some edumacation to humble my ambitions, but I'm the more happier for it. And I now actually enjoy the weight room and look forward to it.

jshiver15
11-26-2013, 03:55 PM

I have to disagree with this . . to an extent. I take pre-workout and post-workout supplements. The pre-workout (not protein, just caffeine and shit) is just to keep me in check and ensure that I actually work hard enough to "dissolve" the effects of the caffeine. I also take a post-workout shake that is about 30g of protein per scoop (I normally take 2 scoops) and is packed with amino acids. It's not to get my bigger, it's to help me recover. If I don't take it, especially after leg days, I'm extremely sore.

Sure, I could be eating FOOD to supplement my workouts, but the protein shakes are fast and effective and I can consume it within the post-workout anabolic window. In my opinion, the biggest issue with supplements is that people have no idea what's in them and that they're mostly buying fillers. I use an organic protein mix that doesn't have added sugar or bullshit fillers.

jshiver15
11-26-2013, 03:59 PM
It's interesting to note that serious body builders and actors who must bulk-up for movie roles do not woof down supplements. They eat several high-protein, high-fiber, low fat/low carb meals per day. Hugh Jackman and Dwayne Johnson, for example, bulk up with steak, chicken, brown rice, and broccoli.

I've read, in several articles, the complete opposite about Dwayne Johnson. For Pain and Gain, it's said that he ate up to 7 times a day and each meal included some type of protein shake. Granted, he was working about 2-3 times a day, so it isn't advisable to consume that much protein, in shake form or otherwise.

Edit for link: http://www.popworkouts.com/the-rock-workout-diet/2/

USMC0341
11-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Just got back from the gym, and it was filled with fat asses taking up space. I hate this time of year when everyone thinks they are going to go workout and get in shape for the holidays/new year... I wonder how many people that do this, actually stick it out.

sandsjames
11-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Just got back from the gym, and it was filled with fat asses taking up space. I hate this time of year when everyone thinks they are going to go workout and get in shape for the holidays/new year... I wonder how many people that do this, actually stick it out.

Yeah, because only in shape people should use the gym. I agree that it gets overloaded this time of year, but it's people like you who deter many people from sticking it out.

USMC0341
11-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Yeah, because only in shape people should use the gym. I agree that it gets overloaded this time of year, but it's people like you who deter many people from sticking it out.

Negative. I don't deter anyone, but thanks for assuming you know anything about me.

Just because I vent about them coming in BSing with their friends and hoggin up their machines while barely moving, does not mean I am an asshole towards them. I keep my earbuds in and work around them, but thta doesn't mean i need to enjoy it.

Rainmaker
11-26-2013, 07:46 PM

Rainmaker don't see a problem Wiff this one. Nomsayin?

BOSS302
11-26-2013, 11:08 PM
I've read, in several articles, the complete opposite about Dwayne Johnson. For Pain and Gain, it's said that he ate up to 7 times a day and each meal included some type of protein shake. Granted, he was working about 2-3 times a day, so it isn't advisable to consume that much protein, in shake form or otherwise.

Edit for link: http://www.popworkouts.com/the-rock-workout-diet/2/

He also works out for 6-7 hours per day. And his diet is the foundation, not his shakes. His body will actually use all that protein.

Your typical Air Force Brahzilla blasting his biceps for 40min a day, 3x a week does not need a four daily shakes of 40g of Muscle Milk that costs $65 for 32 "servings". And he'll usually eat shit for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

*Bladeless
11-27-2013, 02:30 AM
douchebags that are sick, and come in the gym coughing sneezing and snotting all over the equipment.

*Bladeless
11-27-2013, 02:33 AM

double that when these fat old guys go in the shower. They usually walk around naked, I am stuck wondering why they couldn't go home and shower.

Measure Man
11-27-2013, 03:31 AM
You guys spend way too much time looking at other dudes in the gym.

BOSS302
11-27-2013, 06:36 AM
You guys spend way too much time looking at other dudes in the gym.

Bro, do you even lift?

jshiver15
11-27-2013, 10:01 AM
He also works out for 6-7 hours per day. And his diet is the foundation, not his shakes. His body will actually use all that protein.

Your typical Air Force Brahzilla blasting his biceps for 40min a day, 3x a week does not need a four daily shakes of 40g of Muscle Milk that costs $65 for 32 "servings". And he'll usually eat shit for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

That's almost exactly what I said.

AF Comm Guy
11-27-2013, 02:01 PM
double that when these fat old guys go in the shower. They usually walk around naked, I am stuck wondering why they couldn't go home and shower.

Naked dude in the locker room, I got no problem. That's the place for it. Same dude still walking around naked in the locker room three hours later? Yeah, that's a problem. And I'm not talking about someone who went and worked out and happened to be back in there same time as me, I mean the guy who continuously walks around in his birthday suit chatting with anyone who didn't or can't move away quickly enough. It's always some old retiree who thinks he's at a Florida nudist resort. Either that or a guy named Fuller. (Sympathy to anyone from Holloman who understands that reference)

CYBERFX1024
11-27-2013, 02:44 PM
I have to disagree with this . . to an extent. I take pre-workout and post-workout supplements. The pre-workout (not protein, just caffeine and shit) is just to keep me in check and ensure that I actually work hard enough to "dissolve" the effects of the caffeine. I also take a post-workout shake that is about 30g of protein per scoop (I normally take 2 scoops) and is packed with amino acids. It's not to get my bigger, it's to help me recover. If I don't take it, especially after leg days, I'm extremely sore.
Sure, I could be eating FOOD to supplement my workouts, but the protein shakes are fast and effective and I can consume it within the post-workout anabolic window. In my opinion, the biggest issue with supplements is that people have no idea what's in them and that they're mostly buying fillers. I use an organic protein mix that doesn't have added sugar or bullshit fillers.

I have a pre and a post workout just for muscle recovery as well. So that I can recover faster and help me focus more in the gym. I looked for about a week before I found a good pre/post workout that didn't have a sh*t ton of creatine in it. I want to actually have gains in how I lift and get my body my sculpted not get muscles as big as a house, then a month after I stop taking it they are back to being twigs again. That's what I used to hate while deployed, we always had these guys get big as hell on deployment from all the protein shakes and creatine. Then two months after we get back and they haven't worked out at all. they are back to the same ol size.

What pre/post workout you use? I am taking the MusclePharm products right now, and I really like them so far. I am one month in and I can actually tell the difference in how much I am lifting and how fast I recover. I did a killer back and leg workout yesterday and I am not sore today. SO it does work.

20+Years
11-27-2013, 02:55 PM
And please explain to me why said gentleman feels the need to prop a foot up on the bench too.

Not sure if they have ever got any takers, but it sure doesn't make me want a cup o' tea.

jshiver15
11-27-2013, 02:55 PM
What pre/post workout you use?

I use Bluebonnet Extreme whey isolate and Bluebonnet's pre-workout. I can't honestly attest to it helping me make significant gains, I think the hard work I'm putting in is the number one reason for that. But it does help me recover just as well as any other product I've used and it doesn't have all the shit in it.

I used Syntha-6 and NoXplode down range, but it was because a) it was all that was available and b) I simply didn't know any better. But they were both pretty effective. However, I'm pretty sure I'll get some kind of ass or ball cancer from it now.

jshiver15
11-27-2013, 02:57 PM
I tried some of the MusclePharm stuff they handed out at our gym and I couldn't believe how much sugar was in it. I'm sure it's effective, but it seems like you'd have to work your ass of to dump all the ingested sugar. I guess that may be te point.

USMC0341
11-27-2013, 03:01 PM
Naked dude in the locker room, I got no problem. That's the place for it. Same dude still walking around naked in the locker room three hours later? Yeah, that's a problem. And I'm not talking about someone who went and worked out and happened to be back in there same time as me, I mean the guy who continuously walks around in his birthday suit chatting with anyone who didn't or can't move away quickly enough. It's always some old retiree who thinks he's at a Florida nudist resort. Either that or a guy named Fuller. (Sympathy to anyone from Holloman who understands that reference)

I experienced something similar last week. Old wirnkly fat guy all nekid, spread eagle hands on the wall taking a piss at the urinal. Not sure what he was waiting/prepping for, but gave me a bit of a shock; not what I want to see in the locker room. I think I see the dude naked more than with clothes on in the gym.

Capt Alfredo
11-27-2013, 05:44 PM
I use Bluebonnet Extreme

You eat a stick of butter before working out?

CYBERFX1024
11-27-2013, 06:07 PM
I use Bluebonnet Extreme whey isolate and Bluebonnet's pre-workout. I can't honestly attest to it helping me make significant gains, I think the hard work I'm putting in is the number one reason for that. But it does help me recover just as well as any other product I've used and it doesn't have all the shit in it.
I used Syntha-6 and NoXplode down range, but it was because a) it was all that was available and b) I simply didn't know any better. But they were both pretty effective. However, I'm pretty sure I'll get some kind of ass or ball cancer from it now.

Well I am working my ass off in the gym (literally) and I have seen significant improvements. But I can attest to that they have helped me recover faster. Yeah I knew some guys that would use the hell out of Jack 3D and will probably feel the affects later on in life.

jshiver15
11-27-2013, 06:07 PM
You eat a stick of butter before working out?

Well, butter IS Paleo.

CYBERFX1024
11-27-2013, 06:08 PM
I tried some of the MusclePharm stuff they handed out at our gym and I couldn't believe how much sugar was in it. I'm sure it's effective, but it seems like you'd have to work your ass of to dump all the ingested sugar. I guess that may be te point.

Honestly the sugar isn't a problem for me because it does help it become more drinkable. But I have seen a decrease in weight from working out so much, while I have a increase in muscle. So that sugar is not to bad.

jshiver15
11-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Well I am working my ass off in the gym (literally) and I have seen significant improvements. But I can attest to that they have helped me recover faster. Yeah I knew some guys that would use the hell out of Jack 3D and will probably feel the affects later on in life.

Jack3D is a young man's game. Wouldn't touch that stuff.

BOSS302
11-27-2013, 09:22 PM
That's almost exactly what I said.

No it's not.

jshiver15
11-27-2013, 09:28 PM
No it's not.

Hmm . . let's see, I said:

it's said that he ate up to 7 times a day and each meal included some type of protein shake. Granted, he was working about 2-3 times a day, so it isn't advisable to consume that much protein, in shake form or otherwise.

And you said:

He also works out for 6-7 hours per day.

Yep . . nailed it.

Capt Alfredo
11-28-2013, 02:07 AM
Well, butter IS Paleo.

Just not margarine!

jshiver15
11-28-2013, 06:39 AM
Just not margarine!

Ya know, I grew up with margarine in our house and I never knew what I was missing out on. Last year I went home and had margarine for the first time in several years and I nearly threw up. I felt like I was eating melted plastic.

BOSS302
11-28-2013, 08:47 AM
Hmm . . let's see, I said:

And you said:

Yep . . nailed it.

Not even close.

DWWSWWD
12-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Read this whole thing and can't believe noone brought up the old retired dude in the locker room that stands naked in front of the fan, props his foot up on a bench and wants to stand there and bullshit with you. Put that shit away and I'll tell you exactly how my day is going.

Chief_KO
12-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Read this whole thing and can't believe noone brought up the old retired dude in the locker room that stands naked in front of the fan, props his foot up on a bench and wants to stand there and bullshit with you. Put that shit away and I'll tell you exactly how my day is going.

Hey that breeze feels good...but I use the DV locker room till they change the combo again to keep out us retirees...

AF Comm Guy
12-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Wait a minute. This doesn't just happen at the truck stop bathroom? People do this in the locker room too? Okay, maybe Buford really was just drying off but I could have sworn he was flirting with me there for a minute. It wouldn't have been so bad except that the sink is right next to the urinal; makes peeing kind of awkward.

BENDER56
12-03-2013, 05:35 PM

I don't begrudge fat-asses working out in the gym because: 1, that's what the gym is for and; 2, I'm now a fat-ass.

Anyway, you've got the time-frame wrong. I used to work out religiously when I was on AD and I don't remember the crowd of new faces materializing until January 2nd. We called them, "The Resolutionaries." We calculated they had a half-life of about one week. Encouragingly, there were always one or two each year who would stick it out and become regulars.

BENDER56
12-03-2013, 05:37 PM
douchebags that are sick, and come in the gym coughing sneezing and snotting all over the equipment.

"Snotting."

Bravo, sir.

BENDER56
12-03-2013, 05:47 PM

When did being naked in the locker room become "a thing."

Since I was in junior high back in the '60s, nobody thought anything about nakedness in the locker room -- to include standing around talking for lengths of time. Then ... I don't know ... I guess it was sometime in the early '00s I when I first started hearing people grousing about others walking around in the locker room without a towel. At the time I thought that was weird thing to gripe about. And now it's "a thing." I'm increasingly amazed at things that were once not even given a second thought that are now, "things."

Kicker47
12-03-2013, 06:33 PM

Since I was in junior high back in the '60s, nobody thought anything about nakedness in the locker room -- to include standing around talking for lengths of time. Then ... I don't know ... I guess it was sometime in the early '00s I when I first started hearing people grousing about others walking around in the locker room without a towel. At the time I thought that was weird thing to gripe about. And now it's "a thing." I'm increasingly amazed at things that were once not even given a second thought that are now, "things."

The locker room is a "place of business"...go in, change, get out. Go in, shower, get dressed, get out. Make room for the next guy. No need to have lengthy discussions about movies or weekend plans or whatever. You're hogging the bench...keep movin'.:tsk

BENDER56
12-03-2013, 10:19 PM
The locker room is a "place of business"...go in, change, get out. Go in, shower, get dressed, get out. Make room for the next guy. No need to have lengthy discussions about movies or weekend plans or whatever. You're hogging the bench...keep movin'.:tsk

Sorry. Locker rooms have never been places of business. I get it if you're working out at lunch or before work and you need to "go in, change, get out," but others might not be under those time constraints.

Anyway, the question I raised wasn't about people taking too long in the locker room, it was the fact that nakedness in the locker room never used to be an issue, but now it seems too be. It's odd how standards change over time.

AlexCross
12-04-2013, 12:24 PM
I was at the gym the other day in one of the small workout rooms doing an ab workout. Also in the room was a female dressed head to toe in bright pink jump roping. In walks this guy and grabs a bar and starts loading it down with weights. No telling how much he had on there. After he finished loading it he tried to lift and failed. He removed a plate from each side...tried again...failed. This went on for a few minutes until the girl walked over and removed all but one from each side, lifted it, added one lifted, added and lifted..... The guy left.

*Bladeless
12-04-2013, 12:33 PM

uuhhhhh pssst it was mentioned...:lol

And please explain to me why said gentleman feels the need to prop a foot up on the bench too.
Not sure if they have ever got any takers, but it sure doesn't make me want a cup o' tea.

I experienced something similar last week. Old wirnkly fat guy all nekid, spread eagle hands on the wall taking a piss at the urinal. Not sure what he was waiting/prepping for, but gave me a bit of a shock; not what I want to see in the locker room. I think I see the dude naked more than with clothes on in the gym.

*Bladeless
12-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Well things like personal space were really not a concept in the 60s, it was a gayer (as in happy) simpler time. Hell looking at some of the bathroom/showering configurations built these days on base, it still almost like its not a concept.

71Fish
12-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Once entering the locker room, I was able to see a guys tonsils, FROM THE BACK. For fucksake, don't bend over like that in the locker room. No one wants to see that.

Another time, I was changing next to this guy, his locker was above mine. I had my towel hanging on my open locker. When he went to get into his locker, his franks and beans rubbed all over my towel. I got dressed still wet. I wasn't using that towel. This was a problem at Ramstein in the 90's. They would issue daily use locker keys, but the keys they gave out were all huddled together.

Kicker47
12-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Sorry. Locker rooms have never been places of business. I get it if you're working out at lunch or before work and you need to "go in, change, get out," but others might not be under those time constraints.

Anyway, the question I raised wasn't about people taking too long in the locker room, it was the fact that nakedness in the locker room never used to be an issue, but now it seems too be. It's odd how standards change over time.

Sorry...I forgot the sarcastic smilie in my post...:kiwi-fruit:

Juggs
12-04-2013, 02:46 PM
I was at the Eglin gym around 1400 yesterday and saw this 5'5" male with possibly my 5 year olds tshirt on flexing in the mirror after every set. I just laughed. Soooo many DBs in the military.

Juggs
12-04-2013, 02:49 PM

I Hawaii out unit had its own showers and lockerrooms. It always seemed this one ncoic would try to do feedbacks while showering. H was a strange cat.

BENDER56
12-04-2013, 08:15 PM
Sorry...I forgot the sarcastic smilie in my post...:kiwi-fruit:

Oh.

Well, that's very different, then.

Never mind.

jshiver15
12-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Luckily we have showers on the airfield, so I will always forgo using the public locker room at the gym to shower. There are way too many retired balls dangling around that place; I avoid it at all costs because that shit lingers in my mind all day and it makes it hard to eat (or to accept my own balls' inevitable decent towards the floor in my later years).

CYBERFX1024
12-09-2013, 12:01 AM
I just saw this today at the gym but it really irks me.

When you are little skinny guy doing exercises... Instead of trying to do more weight than you can handle, how about actually get the exercises down first before you TRY and do them with some weight..... Because it just infuriates me when you are trying to do the Military Press Machine and you can't even do it right. It just looks bad and you sure as hell aren't getting a good workout in.

Pictures will follow.....

I saw this the other day and I wanted to comment on it.

Don't be that guy that comes in the gym with street clothes, get's on the incline bench press machine and act like you are doing a lot of weight. When in reality I saw you only had 65Ibs. But you acted like you had 265 on the machine, grunting after every pump. Also it doesn't help your cause when you go up to the mirror after every set puff out your chest and try to pose, all with street clothes on.

Edit: In other news I am back up to 245Ibs bench after only being back a month.

AF Chief
12-13-2013, 06:53 PM
We have the "token old naked guy in the locker room" here at Hill. He will have a towel right next to him and proceeds to hold 10 minute conversations with everyone around butt ass naked. Thats not the worse part. The main hallway in the locker room...he will stand in the middle combing his hair for 10 minutes butt ass naked. It makes it near impossible to walk by him without rubbing against him. One day, I was in a particular bad mood as he was there again. I purposely checked him hard with my gym bag so he would move and hopefully get the hint. Nope...he is back again every day. And the bad thing is, there are plenty of mirrors in the locker room where he can comb his hair without impeding traffic.

AF Comm Guy
12-14-2013, 11:37 PM
We have the "token old naked guy in the locker room" here at Hill. He will have a towel right next to him and proceeds to hold 10 minute conversations with everyone around butt ass naked. Thats not the worse part. The main hallway in the locker room...he will stand in the middle combing his hair for 10 minutes butt ass naked. It makes it near impossible to walk by him without rubbing against him. One day, I was in a particular bad mood as he was there again. I purposely checked him hard with my gym bag so he would move and hopefully get the hint. Nope...he is back again every day. And the bad thing is, there are plenty of mirrors in the locker room where he can comb his hair without impeding traffic.

Yep, seen that guy. Next time I see him hanging around like that I'm tempted to just stand there and check out his junk. You know, leer at it like I can't believe what I'm seeing. Then when he walks away, crack him in the ass with a towel. I can roll one hell of a rat tail.

AF Chief
12-17-2013, 03:23 PM
He was there again today. Drives me nuts (no pun intended). I wouldn't mind if he stayed in his lane, but freaking standing in the middle of the isle as your walking by and combing his hair for 5 minutes is just flat out annoying. Maybe I willl leave a not in his locker with a link to this thread.

AF Comm Guy
12-17-2013, 04:00 PM
To make matters worse, they're installing turnstiles for the gym. Since when did we turn into Disney Land? Are they really having that much trouble with unauthorized people using the gym? Idiots at the gym doesn't just mean people who go there. Sometimes it's the people making decisions.

71Fish
12-17-2013, 04:03 PM
He was there again today. Drives me nuts (no pun intended). I wouldn't mind if he stayed in his lane, but freaking standing in the middle of the isle as your walking by and combing his hair for 5 minutes is just flat out annoying. Maybe I willl leave a not in his locker with a link to this thread.

It has been a while since I've been to the main gym. He must be a new old nekkid guy.

USMC0341
12-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Today was "Air Dry Wrinkly Ass Day" at my gym, apparently...

USMC0341
12-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Also, i have noticed that now that we are in the holiday season, the hotties have started to come in and do cardio.

SomeRandomGuy
12-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Today was "Air Dry Wrinkly Ass Day" at my gym, apparently...

Hey, I forgot my towel. How else was I supposed to dry off? Plus this method is good for the enviroment.

jshiver15
12-18-2013, 07:28 AM
*sigh* Just gotta save up for my own cable machine and I'll be set up in my home gym and won't need to go public any longer. Hell, then I could work out nekkid!

USMC0341
12-18-2013, 01:38 PM
i like to bike nekkid in my home gym, i have one of those little fans on my recumbant that blows just right... then i walk to and fro in front of my thinly veiled window so my neighors can admire my nekkidness. Once i get fatter and more wrinkly i may spend more time in the locker room doing this same thing.

Greg
12-18-2013, 05:35 PM
My apartment, in the front of the building, faces a thoroughfare that's heavily traveled during rush hour.

I like to get my pump on, nekkid, with my Olympic free weights, and salute the pretty girls driving their SUV's.

BOSS302
12-21-2013, 05:10 PM
People who work-up a sweat in the weight room and reek of fecal matter. I have a strong stomach, but one smell that will double me over is that of hot, stinky ass. It is awful and I had to experience that the other day.

BigBaze
12-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Apparently when you reach a certain age it is perfectly acceptable and normal to not only walk around the locker room without clothes on, or even a towel for that matter, and strike up a conversation with other dudes getting changed. I guess when you reach a certain age you lose all your dignity, I wonder when the cutoff is so I know. This 60 year old guy was just hanging outside the shower stall reading a magazine completely naked, waiting on the other guy to be finished, and gives me a pleasant good morning greeting. Bless his heart, and boy do I love my off base gym.

Chief_KO
12-28-2013, 07:22 PM
I would like to know the age requirement as well. I'll be 53 soon and while I don't consider myself to be too wrinkly/saggy I still might qualify however for the "Ol Nekkid Guy" privilege.
Until then I am still using the DV locker room till they change the combo again and lock us retirees out...

USMC0341
12-29-2013, 12:14 AM
I would like to know the age requirement as well. I'll be 53 soon and while I don't consider myself to be too wrinkly/saggy I still might qualify however for the "Ol Nekkid Guy" privilege.
Until then I am still using the DV locker room till they change the combo again and lock us retirees out...

I'm not sure what the age/fatness/wrinkles ratios is, but if you find yourself standing nekkid in the locker room and seem to have lost track of time and/or forget you are nekkid, then you may have reached the turning point.

Chief_KO
12-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Well, I still know what time it is and realize when I don't have clothes on so it appears I'm not ready yet for the next stage of retirement.:whistle
I do tend to no longer be in a hurry to get anywhere though..

giggawatt
01-08-2014, 09:37 AM
I just gotta ask. Is anyone in this thread....

aware?

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-08-2014, 11:47 AM
I went to the gym last night and the New Year's resolution Army was there in force! Almost every machine was manned by an unhappy looking fatty or a scrawny dude with his face buried in his smartphone. I'm counting the days for these people to quit and give us our gym back!

giggawatt
01-08-2014, 12:51 PM
I went to the gym last night and the New Year's resolution Army was there in force! Almost every machine was manned by an unhappy looking fatty or a scrawny dude with his face buried in his smartphone. I'm counting the days for these people to quit and give us our gym back!

There should be a required orientation class for everyone that starts working out after Jan 1st. It could include gym ettiquette and perhaps a basic fitness overview and even diet/nutrition. Many of the posts in this thread would be included in that class.

Absinthe Anecdote
01-08-2014, 01:35 PM
I just gotta ask. Is anyone in this thread....

aware?

You mean like self aware or is that some kind of sex thing?

giggawatt
01-08-2014, 03:07 PM
You mean like self aware or is that some kind of sex thing?

If you have to ask, you're not aware.

sandsjames
01-08-2014, 03:36 PM

Yes yes yes!!!! You don't want those unhappy looking fatties and scrawny dudes attempting to get in shape. Fuck that, the gym is for professionals only!!!!

sandsjames
01-08-2014, 03:37 PM
Apparently when you reach a certain age it is perfectly acceptable and normal to not only walk around the locker room without clothes on, or even a towel for that matter, and strike up a conversation with other dudes getting changed. I guess when you reach a certain age you lose all your dignity, I wonder when the cutoff is so I know. This 60 year old guy was just hanging outside the shower stall reading a magazine completely naked, waiting on the other guy to be finished, and gives me a pleasant good morning greeting. Bless his heart, and boy do I love my off base gym.

And usually they stand there with one leg up on the bench...

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
01-08-2014, 03:41 PM
Yes yes yes!!!! You don't want those unhappy looking fatties and scrawny dudes attempting to get in shape. Fuck that, the gym is for professionals only!!!!

The issue is that most of them aren't really that committed to getting in shape. If they were, then they wouldn't WAIT until some "feel good" holiday to make the change....which is why most resolutions fail. I just assume these people quit now instead of clogging up the gym for the next couple of weeks.

sandsjames
01-08-2014, 03:44 PM
The issue is that most of them aren't really that committed to getting in shape. If they were, then they wouldn't WAIT until some "feel good" holiday to make the change....which is why most resolutions fail. I just assume these people quit now instead of clogging up the gym for the next couple of weeks.

You're right, but a lot of people like to use the first of the year as a set date, just for motivation...a cutoff date if you will. And even if a couple of them succeed, is that not good for the AF? It's like smoking. Some people have to try many, many times before they succeed. Same with the gym. I say good luck to them. Sure, most of them will give up, but a couple will stick with it. I say good on them.

BENDER56
01-08-2014, 04:38 PM

Fear not. Half of the resolutionaries will be gone after the first week and half of the remainder in each succeeding week thereafter. By early February the gym will be back to normal.

LogDog
01-08-2014, 11:29 PM
There should be a required orientation class for everyone that starts working out after Jan 1st. It could include gym ettiquette and perhaps a basic fitness overview and even diet/nutrition. Many of the posts in this thread would be included in that class.
Those who are "gym rats" also need an etiquette class.

LogDog
01-08-2014, 11:33 PM
And usually they stand there with one leg up on the bench...
And for some reason you just can't take your eyes off them, right? http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/alienl-023.gif

sandsjames
01-08-2014, 11:40 PM
And for some reason you just can't take your eyes off them, right? http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/alienl-023.gif

Absolutely...and that's ok now...Actually thinking "is that what it's gonna look like when I'm that age"?

Juggs
01-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Had a dumbass the other day on Eglin around lunch time at the field house near the ball fields.

Doing one rep as loud as he can and letting it slam to the ground like an asshole. Had all the cool guy clothes on. Compression socks, vibrams shoes, tight shirt. Damn tool.

Chief_KO
01-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Absolutely...and that's ok now...Actually thinking "is that what it's gonna look like when I'm that age"?

Yes...hair grows where it's not supposed to...and stops growing where it's supposed to. Gravity takes over and "the boys" are soon hanging like MC Hammer's pants...hurts when you sit on them.

raustin0017
01-13-2014, 10:02 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=funny+gym+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=J3DUUu7BKbG-sQTW2IBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=690#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=ldE_skcDLLzA3M%253A%3B7wbVy0RdQis9uM%3Bhttp% 253A%252F%252Fcdn.themetapicture.com%252Fmedia%252 Ffunny-gym-muscles-upper-body.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fthemetapicture.com%2 52Faint-nobody-got-time-for-legs%252F%3B400%3B568

wxjumper
01-30-2014, 05:16 AM
I can't stand idiots who feel entitled to tie up three stations at once to do their "Superset".

Juggs
01-30-2014, 07:45 PM
The other day on Eglin there were 20 airmen taking up the crossfit area just doing cals. It wasn't even cold outside, but they had to be inside. It was sad as they were being poorly coached by a poorly educated PTL.

sandsjames
01-30-2014, 08:43 PM
The other day on Eglin there were 20 airmen taking up the crossfit area just doing cals. It wasn't even cold outside, but they had to be inside. It was sad as they were being poorly coached by a poorly educated PTL.

There's a specific crossfit area?

Chief_KO
01-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Retiree crossfit area: "The Nearest Buffet Line"

CYBERFX1024
01-30-2014, 10:00 PM
I can't stand idiots who feel entitled to tie up three stations at once to do their "Superset".

I feel the same way sort of but that's mainly if someone is doing that many stations. The most I do at a time is 2 stations. But one thing that I hate are people doing Supersets and keep walking off, talking to their buddy, or just texting on the their phone in the middle of it. It defeats the damn purpose of a Superset and pisses me off because I want to use the equipment.

sandsjames
01-30-2014, 10:34 PM
I feel the same way sort of but that's mainly if someone is doing that many stations. The most I do at a time is 2 stations. But one thing that I hate are people doing Supersets and keep walking off, talking to their buddy, or just texting on the their phone in the middle of it. It defeats the damn purpose of a Superset and pisses me off because I want to use the equipment.

I have the same issue...not with gym equipment, but with slot machines. I hate it when a person is playing two or three of them next to each other when I really want one of them.

Couldn't care less about gym equipment. Retirement is awesome.

CYBERFX1024
01-31-2014, 04:12 AM
I have the same issue...not with gym equipment, but with slot machines. I hate it when a person is playing two or three of them next to each other when I really want one of them.
Couldn't care less about gym equipment. Retirement is awesome.

Well I go to the gym because I am still young (30) and trying to be sexy. The only retirement I have right now is my VA disability pay.

jshiver15
01-31-2014, 09:44 AM
Well, it's 31 January and a vast majority of the resolutioners are gone from the base gym. It was pretty hectic in there for a couple weeks, especially since half of garrison switched their Soldiers' unit PT time to 1500 while the rest were still on at 0630, so it was pretty difficult to navigate a workout using any equipment in there for a bit. But now most people have given up and order has been restored.

sandsjames
01-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Well I go to the gym because I am still young (30) and trying to be sexy. The only retirement I have right now is my VA disability pay.

Glad you're trying to be sexy. That's not a bad thing. I'm happily married so don't fret so much about that sort of thing anymore.

Also, I love the irony of the going to the gym and receiving disability pay. I realize most disabilities aren't disabling so killing yourself physically isn't out of the question but it makes me chuckle that we call it disability.

I receive it too, and use much of it to play golf. Feeling very disabled.

CYBERFX1024
01-31-2014, 03:03 PM
Glad you're trying to be sexy. That's not a bad thing. I'm happily married so don't fret so much about that sort of thing anymore.
Also, I love the irony of the going to the gym and receiving disability pay. I realize most disabilities aren't disabling so killing yourself physically isn't out of the question but it makes me chuckle that we call it disability.
I receive it too, and use much of it to play golf. Feeling very disabled.

I am happily married as well but I still want to try and look decent for her and myself, also it gives me at least 1 hour of me time a day. That desperately helps me to stay sane with work, 3 kids, and school going on.

I am rated right now due to PTSD issues and believe it or not but going to the gym helps me relieve some pent up stress as well. I have other claims in that the VA has deferred my rating on.

I use a majority of my disability pay on emergency supplies.

Juggs
01-31-2014, 03:31 PM
There's a specific crossfit area?

Yup, there are free weight rooms, cardio, and crossfit area.

sandsjames
01-31-2014, 04:18 PM
I am happily married as well but I still want to try and look decent for her and myself, also it gives me at least 1 hour of me time a day. That desperately helps me to stay sane with work, 3 kids, and school going on.

I am rated right now due to PTSD issues and believe it or not but going to the gym helps me relieve some pent up stress as well. I have other claims in that the VA has deferred my rating on.

I use a majority of my disability pay on emergency supplies.

Wasn't judging, and comment about disability had nothing to do with you specifically. I realize that being "disabled" according to the VA has nothing to do with actually being disabled. I actually wish they had another term for it.

I used to like the gym for stress relief. But I have no kids and no job so not a whole lot of stress...

sandsjames
01-31-2014, 04:19 PM
Yup, there are free weight rooms, cardio, and crossfit area.

Interesting...or by "crossfit" area do you mean an area with a variety of different machines? Like a weight room? That's what we used to call it.

CYBERFX1024
01-31-2014, 09:07 PM
Wasn't judging, and comment about disability had nothing to do with you specifically. I realize that being "disabled" according to the VA has nothing to do with actually being disabled. I actually wish they had another term for it.

I wish there was another term for it honestly. Because as soon as I say that people look at me weird like "Disability? Why does he have that or is he trying to game the system". It's worse when they hear it's for PTSD and they look at you like you are crazy or like you are going to all of a sudden freak out on them.

But honestly I just filed my VA claim so that everything is annotated and known by them, I didn't expect to get a rating out of it. I just didn't want something to pop up like 20-30 years down the line and they give you remark "If this has been bothering you for so long, why didn't you file a claim sooner?".

But you served your time and now you get to enjoy your retirement. So have a good one. :)

sandsjames
01-31-2014, 09:15 PM
I wish there was another term for it honestly. Because as soon as I say that people look at me weird like "Disability? Why does he have that or is he trying to game the system". It's worse when they hear it's for PTSD and they look at you like you are crazy or like you are going to all of a sudden freak out on them.

But honestly I just filed my VA claim so that everything is annotated and known by them, I didn't expect to get a rating out of it. I just didn't want something to pop up like 20-30 years down the line and they give you remark "If this has been bothering you for so long, why didn't you file a claim sooner?".

But you served your time and now you get to enjoy your retirement. So have a good one. :)

Agree...20-30 years from now is what I'm worried about too. Just had back surgery two days ago for a herniated disc. Luckily it tracks back to when I was in.

On a tangent, it's kinda funny and shows how base doctors immediately think you are trying to do nothing other than get out of PT. I saw my doctor while I was in about nerve problems and leg weakness. She said I just needed to strengthen my muscles and wouldn't even refer me for an MRI. Within 6 months of getting out I find out I have a disc that is completely gone and another one that is severely damaged.

CYBERFX1024
01-31-2014, 09:22 PM
Agree...20-30 years from now is what I'm worried about too. Just had back surgery two days ago for a herniated disc. Luckily it tracks back to when I was in.
On a tangent, it's kinda funny and shows how base doctors immediately think you are trying to do nothing other than get out of PT. I saw my doctor while I was in about nerve problems and leg weakness. She said I just needed to strengthen my muscles and wouldn't even refer me for an MRI. Within 6 months of getting out I find out I have a disc that is completely gone and another one that is severely damaged.

Yeah I had that happen to a friend of mine. He complained about back pain for over a month and saw them at least 1-2 a week. He was given the typical speech of "Here's some Motrin and take it easy". Over a month went by and he was having ever worsening back problems and he then forced the issue of going somewhere else, turns out he had herniated disc.

So take it easy in the retirement phase and watch your back.

Juggs
01-31-2014, 09:47 PM
Interesting...or by "crossfit" area do you mean an area with a variety of different machines? Like a weight room? That's what we used to call it.

Nah it's an actual crossfit area. Ropes, tires, pull-up bars, white boards for the workout of the day, boxes for box jumps.