PDA

View Full Version : STUDY: NUCLEAR FORCE FEELING 'BURNOUT' FROM WORK - Say WHAT?!?

BISSBOSS
11-21-2013, 02:12 PM
So NOW the AF seems to think there may be deeper problems than they thought?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NUCLEAR_MISSTEPS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-11-20-13-42-10

YHGTBSM..! :frusty

-BB-

technomage1
11-21-2013, 02:31 PM
"It found a toxic mix of frustration and aggravation, heightened by a sense of being unappreciated, overworked, micromanaged and at constant risk of failure". Sounds like some places I have worked at. It's not fun, I assure you.

Bohica
11-21-2013, 02:58 PM
I'd be overstressed to if I was stuck in Minot with no hope of ever leaving:hitwithrock:

Absinthe Anecdote
11-21-2013, 03:00 PM
If only we could build some super intelligent machines to stand missile watch for us. I think that would solve the problem of unreliable people feeling burnt out from working a shitty job.

Yes, computers and robots are much more reliable. When was the last time you heard about a robot sexually assaulting someone or leaving a blast door wide open while taking a nap?

Robots don't drink and drive, and most importantly, they never accumulate a bunch of subcutaneous fat around their abdomens and then whine about failing their PT tests.

I'd sleep a hell of a lot better at night with a robot finger on the button instead of a blubbering fat body that at any second could got get drunk and sexually assault someone.

imnohero
11-21-2013, 03:02 PM
From the article

"We all acknowledge their importance, but at the same time we really don't think the mission is that critical," Neal said, adding that his peers see the threat of full-scale nuclear war as "simply nonexistent." So "we practice for all-out nuclear war, but we know that isn't going to happen."

And there is the underlying problem, everyone in the nuke force knows they will never hit the launch button.

imported_DannyJ
11-21-2013, 03:20 PM
PRP + living in a hole in middle of bfe + leadership not giving 2 craps about you being an actual human being = this situation. Not rocket science by any measure.

BISSBOSS
11-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Pretty telling stuff in the article from BOTH sides.

Too bad the AF chose to declare the problem fixed and reinvigorated (whatever that means) and move on, promise more attention and prestige to the mission only to utterly ignore doing so, and mislead those within the the Nuclear Enterprise into thinking things would change as the DoD tries to cut more and more people and money.

I feel for my "Nuke-puke" brothers and sister but I am glad I got while the getting was good.

-BB-

SomeRandomGuy
11-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Pretty telling stuff in the article from BOTH sides.

Too bad the AF chose to declare the problem fixed and reinvigorated (whatever that means) and move on, promise more attention and prestige to the mission only to utterly ignore doing so, and mislead those within the the Nuclear Enterprise into thinking things would change as the DoD tries to cut more and more people and money.

I feel for my "Nuke-puke" brothers and sister but I am glad I got while the getting was good.

-BB-

Wait! Are you saying that AFGSC sending a Sherpa to the top of Mt. Everest with a coin didn't bring attention and prestige? Honestly, if you guys cannot appreciate the beauty of a coin sitting on top of a mountain and be inspired I am not sure what could work.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-21-2013, 03:57 PM
I forgot about the Sherpa coin, but I like my robot airmen idea better.

BISSBOSS
11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
I forgot about the Sherpa coin, but I like my robot airmen idea better.

As long as we don't call the computer the War Operation Plan Response or "WOPR"..!

BISSBOSS
11-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Wait! Are you saying that AFGSC sending a Sherpa to the top of Mt. Everest with a coin didn't bring attention and prestige? Honestly, if you guys cannot appreciate the beauty of a coin sitting on top of a mountain and be inspired I am not sure what could work.

Don't get me wrong... I thought the coin thing was "kinda" cool.

It just smacked of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic! It was like To-do List item #652 and we are on item #4!

-BB-

Absinthe Anecdote
11-21-2013, 04:22 PM
As long as we don't call the computer the War Operation Plan Response or "WOPR"..!

I was thinking Skynet.

BISSBOSS
11-21-2013, 04:27 PM

And for the record... The Brits already used "Skynet"...

-BB-

Kalbo607
11-21-2013, 06:15 PM
"It found a toxic mix of frustration and aggravation, heightened by a sense of being unappreciated, overworked, micromanaged...". Reading this I thought they were talking about Mission Intel Coordinators for UAV missions.

OtisRNeedleman
11-21-2013, 11:26 PM
If only we could build some super intelligent machines to stand missile watch for us. I think that would solve the problem of unreliable people feeling burnt out from working a shitty job.

Yes, computers and robots are much more reliable. When was the last time you heard about a robot sexually assaulting someone or leaving a blast door wide open while taking a nap?

Robots don't drink and drive, and most importantly, they never accumulate a bunch of subcutaneous fat around their abdomens and then whine about failing their PT tests.

I'd sleep a hell of a lot better at night with a robot finger on the button instead of a blubbering fat body that at any second could got get drunk and sexually assault someone.

No, thanks. I always want at least one human in the loop. I seem to remember at least one occasion on both the US and Russian sides when the "system" gave a false warning of an ICBM launch from the other side. A human checked it out and decided the warning was false and NOT to launch.

OtisRNeedleman
11-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Not surprised the missile people are feeling stressed and burned-out in today's AF. They know it doesn't matter how well they do their jobs as long as they don't get in trouble. They also know senior management only cares about their PT scores and their volunteering. Such problems were not as widespread in my AAF (Adult Air Force).

imported_UncommonSense
11-21-2013, 11:29 PM

Nice try, Skynet. I'm on to you.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-21-2013, 11:46 PM
Not surprised the missile people are feeling stressed and burned-out in today's AF. They know it doesn't matter how well they do their jobs as long as they don't get in trouble. They also know senior management only cares about their PT scores and their volunteering. Such problems were not as widespread in my AAF (Adult Air Force).

Why don't you make a time machine out of an Ergo-cycle and go back to the 1990's where you belong.

PT rocks!

TomTom093
11-22-2013, 12:51 AM
Why not have them stand down from their jobs for a day? Have a mile and a half fun run in the morning, an honest discussion of their feelings during the day, and social hour at the base club in the afternoon/evening. Top it all of with giving everyone a coin, a "Nuclear Force Creed" that they can recite when they come in to work, and a new medal (which "N" for Nuclear device) and the problem will be fixed in no time!

In all seriousness, since we're cutting personnel anyway, and the nukes can only be launched by Presidential order, give the same guy that caries the football briefcase a button to launch at a target (for accountability purposes, add another guy and they both have to press a button). You'd still need some folks guarding the missiles and doing the targeting, but it'll get rid of most of the waste.

fufu
11-22-2013, 04:00 AM
Why not have them stand down from their jobs for a day? Have a mile and a half fun run in the morning, an honest discussion of their feelings during the day, and social hour at the base club in the afternoon/evening. Top it all of with giving everyone a coin, a "Nuclear Force Creed" that they can recite when they come in to work, and a new medal (which "N" for Nuclear device) and the problem will be fixed in no time!

LOL! This is exactly what the AF Leadership will do. It seemed to work perfectly after the Head of SARC for the AF groped a tranny. SMH.

No shit people are burned out. One mistake AF, combined with more and more tasks being added everyday and NONE being taken away. PT, volunteerism and promotion is ALL leadership at my base talks about. They never talk about job performance and being a great [whatever]. What 3% will make the top 2 ranks? So, 97% need to be great workers, rewarded/appreciated with a focus on proficiency and mission completion.

Salty Old Dog
11-26-2013, 12:45 PM
PRP + living in a hole in middle of bfe + leadership not giving 2 craps about you being an actual human being = this situation. Not rocket science by any measure.

So, in other words, it's like being on board a Navy ship on deployment?? :pirate:

Yeah, I'm feeling really sorry for their little whiny a**es. :no:

BISSBOSS
11-26-2013, 01:28 PM
So, in other words, it's like being on board a Navy ship on deployment?? :pirate:

Jeez...

Where's THAT come from? Bitter much?

-BB-

Airborne
11-26-2013, 08:25 PM

How much extra pay do submariners get for being underway? How much more likely is promotion and prestige associated with being a submariner? Those working the AF nuclear program have no incentive, monetary or otherwise.

BRUWIN
12-08-2013, 03:16 AM
There was a time when the nuclear force was creme of the crop and were looked at in high esteem. The loss of SAC changed all that and the nuclear enterprise became the whooping boys for the fighter mafia.

Salty Old Dog
12-20-2013, 01:28 PM
How much extra pay do submariners get for being underway? How much more likely is promotion and prestige associated with being a submariner? Those working the AF nuclear program have no incentive, monetary or otherwise.

Wouldn't know, wasn't a submariner. The Navy actually consists of more than subs, ya know??

Try 94 straight days at sea, without a break, sailing near the equator. Then tell me how tough the missile babysitters have it. This isn't about pay and prestige, it's about being professional enough to do the job you were assigned to do, and do it right. If you don't like your job, go smoke a doobie in front of the commander, and get kicked out. Sick and tired about the younger generation, and their feel-good requirement for life.