PDA

View Full Version : Navy Releases October Courts-Martial Verdicts

BURAWSKI
11-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Interesting. I'm not sure if anyone saw this one about the special court-martial in Great Lakes for a seaman who pleaded guilty to indecent language. On Oct. 17, the military judge sentenced him to a bad conduct discharge, forfeiture of two-thirds of his pay per month for three months, reduction in rank to E-1 and confinement for three months.

I would think a Big Chicken Dinner is a bit harsh, even in this PC Navy today. Indecent language is now a crime? Give me a fricken break.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20131118/NEWS/311180013/Navy-releases-October-courts-martial-verdicts

ExChief
11-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Interesting. I'm not sure if anyone saw this one about the special court-martial in Great Lakes for a seaman who pleaded guilty to indecent language. On Oct. 17, the military judge sentenced him to a bad conduct discharge, forfeiture of two-thirds of his pay per month for three months, reduction in rank to E-1 and confinement for three months.

I would think a Big Chicken Dinner is a bit harsh, even in this PC Navy today. Indecent language is now a crime? Give me a fricken break.

http://www.navytimes.com/article/20131118/NEWS/311180013/Navy-releases-October-courts-martial-verdicts

What your failing to realize is that this is a two tier system. Compare this to Capt. Lisa Nowak (astronut), and Cmdr. Michael P. Ward II (submarine co--faked own death). Both of these stellar service members walked away with basically a slap on the wrist. I am anxiously waiting to see the outcome of the latest blue water fiasco...The "Fat Leonard" issue. I am certain that there will be rather harsh punishments for the parties (if?) found guilty.

Chief Bosun
11-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Does seem a bit harsh, and I'm kinda surprised this wasn't simply dealt with at Mast.

It would be interesting to see what the full story on this one is.

Salty Old Dog
12-11-2013, 03:30 PM
Does seem a bit harsh, and I'm kinda surprised this wasn't simply dealt with at Mast.

It would be interesting to see what the full story on this one is.

I can't say for today's politically correct Navy, but back in my day, it wasn't uncommon for someone to receive a bit harsher sentence for forcing a court martial, instead of taking care of the charges with NJP. Entirely possible these days, I suppose.

The first one I had to re-read, as I thought the punishment was a typo. 70 YEARS?? Damn, they're gonna release this guy from prison in a body bag! Not that I have a problem with doing that to people who commit those crimes, mind you! :encouragement:

Chief Bosun
12-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I can't say for today's politically correct Navy, but back in my day, it wasn't uncommon for someone to receive a bit harsher sentence for forcing a court martial, instead of taking care of the charges with NJP. Entirely possible these days, I suppose.

The first one I had to re-read, as I thought the punishment was a typo. 70 YEARS?? Damn, they're gonna release this guy from prison in a body bag! Not that I have a problem with doing that to people who commit those crimes, mind you! :encouragement:

Agreed, you go beyond Mast you take your chances with getting nailed hard. I'd love to see the details on what this turkey did, and how it ended up in that forum.

BURAWSKI
12-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Agreed, you go beyond Mast you take your chances with getting nailed hard. I'd love to see the details on what this turkey did, and how it ended up in that forum.

Reminds me a little of the movie "The Last Detail" when the seaman was court-martialed for stealing $40.00 from the church collection plate, and didn't even get the money; the CO had him court-martialed and he got 8 years and a DD. I imagine a lot of these punishments wind up in the Appellant Appeals Court.

imported_WINTHORP1
12-19-2013, 02:23 AM
I'm still glad that the Navy is putting these online. At least we get to see what is going on, even if we don't agree or understand why.