PDA

View Full Version : Sports equipment for deployers

crwchf16
11-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Does anyone know of any companies that donate or sell sports equipment (new or used) to deployed military at a discount price? Specifically I want to set up a batting cage for our guys at this location but I'm open to any ideas to help relieve the boredom

Stalwart
11-11-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't know of any, we did something similar in Cuba about 20 years ago and had a guy write every company he could find asking for donation, explaining the situation. Not every one responded, but enough did that we had a pretty good start on an athletic locker.

Spam out a bunch of emails or letters. Worst case scenario you don't hear back and you lose the 10 or so minutes it took to type the email.

technomage1
11-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Errr...how are you going to get a batting cage shipped in a 70 lb 70 inch box to base X? Not trying to rain on your parade and I hope you find stuff, but you may want to consider how it's going to get there if you haven't already done so prior to asking for bulky items.

Kicker47
11-13-2013, 03:32 PM
E-mail the company and begin by asking if they offer reduced pricing for military at deployed locations. Inquire about shipping costs, as well. While I was stationed on Guam, I was was able to get some hockey equipment shipped for cheap because the customer service rep felt like hooking some military guys up.

CYBERFX1024
11-13-2013, 03:40 PM
If you have Amazon and you buy stuff through them you can have it shipped for free IF you have the Prime membership. You just chose to have it shipped slower. I bought a weight bench and a whole slew of dumbbells and it was shipped for free when I was working in Afghanistan.

Here are a couple questions you need to think of. How long is your deployment and where to? If you are in Afghanistan why would you have a batting cage set up if you are going to be there for 6-9 months? Do you think that you will suddenly become a slugger while on deployment? I really doubt that a lot of people would use a batting cage while deployed. Also you have to think that a sports company has already given out some sports equipment within the last decade of war, so they might not look to favorable to your request.

jshiver15
11-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Golfsmith has been known to donate in the past and they have connections to both the baseball and tennis community. I'd maybe send them an e-mail (they donated handsomely for a golf tournament I organized in 2010). Eastbay may be able to help you out, as well.