PDA

View Full Version : "Send a box of <fundraiser items> to the troops!"

Kicker47
11-08-2013, 06:09 PM
My son's Boy Scout fundraiser is selling popcorn tins and boxes of microwave popcorn. The order form has an option for people to buy a box of popcorn ($25!) and have it "sent to the troops". I think I've seen this before with a cookie fundraiser too.

My question is: has anyone here ever actually received any kind of fundraiser item?

I'm in a career field that only deploys in extremely rare cases...is this something that you only see if you are deployed?

Are you handed a box of Campmasters microwave popcorn as you step off the C-130?

sandsjames
11-08-2013, 06:50 PM
My son's Boy Scout fundraiser is selling popcorn tins and boxes of microwave popcorn. The order form has an option for people to buy a box of popcorn ($25!) and have it "sent to the troops". I think I've seen this before with a cookie fundraiser too.

My question is: has anyone here ever actually received any kind of fundraiser item?

I'm in a career field that only deploys in extremely rare cases...is this something that you only see if you are deployed?

Are you handed a box of Campmasters microwave popcorn as you step off the C-130?

I've received stuff, but I didn't quite understand why. We usually had a BX, Subway, etc, on the base. I guess it's a feel good thing for people to do, and in the military it's usually a "look at me supporting our downrange troops" thing.

USMC0341
11-08-2013, 07:14 PM
The only time I ever saw anything was when care packages were sent to the unit directly. In those cases, I usually divided it amongst the guys who had no one back home to send them stuff. Never saw any of these promo things, I imagine they end up in the hands of someone on a base with access to creature comforts and is nowhere near the fight...

Gonzo432
11-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Nothing makes your co-workers green with envy like getting a box.

Gonzo432
11-09-2013, 01:20 AM
I've received stuff, but I didn't quite understand why. We usually had a BX, Subway, etc, on the base. I guess it's a feel good thing for people to do, and in the military it's usually a "look at me supporting our downrange troops" thing.

Usually maybe, but not always.

Juggs
11-09-2013, 02:20 AM
I received stuff. Not when you step off a plane but it will show up randomly. It happened to me on several occasions.

I enjoyed it.

RS6405
11-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm glad the items show up! I don't send the $25 popcorn, but I've bought Girl Scout cookies for troops before.