PDA

View Full Version : Ramstein AB, Germany

giggawatt
11-07-2013, 09:36 AM
I was stationed there for 5 years and loved every minute of it. I recently PCS'd from there and miss it already. I know a few of you have been stationed there or have been on TDYs there.

If you returned to Ramstein and only had 24 hours or less on ground, what would you try to do? Where would you try to eat or go for a drink?

Absinthe Anecdote
11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Don't go down to Landstuhl and drink Absinthe in a pub underneath the castle. The owner of the pub might start telling you about how old the building is and then take you on a tour of the tunnels that run under that entire region.

You'll be scared shitless when the flashlight goes out and bump your head on a rock and then he'll take you to a brothel with Nigerian prostitutes to have your head bandaged.

dan5522
11-07-2013, 10:10 AM
I was stationed there in the mid 90's so some of the places I would want to see aren't there. Things like Fred's and the old club would be 2 of the ones I would want to see and go through. The old BX was cool, but I have been through there and think that the new one is nice but there is almost too much. Off base, I would go down to K-town and hang at some of the places, out in Heidelberg would be something. Hit Amsterdam and stay at Sousterberg (sp) is something that I would need to do again. Yes with all the stuff I am saying most of it isn't there and I know that. Last time I was through there was '09 and my old dorm was still standing, that is one of the other things that I would like to see!

71Fish
11-07-2013, 12:24 PM
I was there in the 90s. As much as I hated Fred's I still managed to spend a week there one night.
I'd love to get assigned there as CS now that I am retired. My wife has never been to Germany.
If I only had 24 hours I would hang out at some of my old places in Ktown and enjoy being in the moment.

giggawatt
11-07-2013, 12:30 PM
I was stationed there in the mid 90's so some of the places I would want to see aren't there. Things like Fred's and the old club would be 2 of the ones I would want to see and go through. The old BX was cool, but I have been through there and think that the new one is nice but there is almost too much. Off base, I would go down to K-town and hang at some of the places, out in Heidelberg would be something. Hit Amsterdam and stay at Sousterberg (sp) is something that I would need to do again. Yes with all the stuff I am saying most of it isn't there and I know that. Last time I was through there was '09 and my old dorm was still standing, that is one of the other things that I would like to see!

Keep in mind, you only have 24 hours.

ttribe
11-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Assuming things were the same as they were in 84-86($1-2.56DM), I would start the day off on a Sunday morning with brunch at the old NCO club. Drive up to the Rhine valley and have lunch in one of the old wine producing towns, and load up on a case or two of various vinos. While up there I would motor up and try to find where the now extinct Rudusheim Navaid is and throw a few rocks at it. In a German accent "State your fuel, and proceed to Rudusheim and Hold!!!" words spoken by Frankfurt controllers who loved to F- with MAC flyers. I would then head back down to Ramstein and have dinner in a GastHaus in Kindsbach (Hans Schuff)that served family style. Shnitzels, big bowl of noodles on the table, and other local specialties. Washed down by a nice Pils. After dinner, maybe a little window shopping at AnnaBella Haus. I did several strolls through that place but never made any purchases there. We tended to get our PT in at the "Stairs" in Frankfurt.

Measure Man
11-07-2013, 01:54 PM
One night in Landstuhl.

dan5522
11-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Keep in mind, you only have 24 hours.

Ahhh, yes attention to detail is not my best skill. Ok if it were 24 hrs, I would start by going to one of the clubs that served breakfast with an aspirin. That would take me till about 7am. After that I would go to Trier and hang out there all day and have lunch and an early dinner there on the Moselle River, mind you I would select being there around the Christmas holiday so I can see the Christmas village there. I would then finish up the night with an easy night at the NCO club with some buddies.

BOSS302
11-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Typical Modern-Day Air Force Bro:

- Go to the E-club for breakfast.
- Wander the KMCC for a few unproductive hours.
- Hit-up Manchu Wok or Chili's for lunch.
- Gym
- Nap
- Dinner at Macaroni Grill
- Club "Nacht Shift" or whatever it is called.
- City Hookah
- Back to lodging by 2am.

Measure Man
11-08-2013, 09:55 PM
One night in Landstuhl.

New York Doner for lunch....Red Lion in the afternoon until dinner.

Dinner at Alt Landstuhl...then go to the Blarney Stone or Cockpit....maybe finish the evening at the strip club.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-09-2013, 12:55 AM
512 FS (F-16s) 88-92. I miss that place!

Juggs
11-09-2013, 01:24 AM
Just passed through, but I enjoyed the area when I had a layover.

TREYSLEDGE
11-12-2013, 02:32 PM
If I had 24 hours at Ramstein, I would rent a car and leave. (Never liked that place when I visited from Spang, too many Americans). I'd go toward the Mosel and Trier, or Bernkastel-Kues, or to Rothenburg ab der Tauber. I'd try to get a good Doner Kebap mit pommes, and an evening meal at a Gasthaus.

MACHINE666
04-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Pascha's in Koln.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

MACHINE666
04-04-2014, 11:19 AM
If I had 24 hours at Ramstein, I would rent a car and leave. (Never liked that place when I visited from Spang, too many Americans). I'd go toward the Mosel and Trier, or Bernkastel-Kues, or to Rothenburg ab der Tauber. I'd try to get a good Doner Kebap mit pommes, and an evening meal at a Gasthaus.

That's where everyone from Spangdahlem ends up anyways. I took my girlfriend to Trier the other weekend, and every third person visiting was speaking American. If you really wanna get away from all the Ami, you need to go some place like Aachen or Dusseldorf. There's just as much to do there but without the depend-o-potamus and her little thug-rats terrorizing the locals in her BIT plate mini-van.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
04-04-2014, 12:51 PM
There's just as much to do there but without the depend-o-potamus and her little thug-rats terrorizing the locals in her BIT plate mini-van.

When I was in Germany, unless you lived off base depend-o-potsus' and off-spring never left the confines of base housing and the commissary dessert aisle.

ChiefB
04-22-2014, 10:28 AM
The "Passion Play" at Oberammergau or skiing at Grindlewald (Youngfrau), Switzerland. Depending on time of year, of course. Dinner in Helmond, Netherlands. Oh yeah and throw in a Porsche 911S for transportation.