PDA

View Full Version : Only Made It To Page Six

Slyoldawg
11-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Of this week's Air Force Times before I thanked my lucky star that I am not still in the Air Force today.

The social experiments that was written about would have been laughed straight off the base had that happened in the fifties and sixties. When I read the next article about the pilots being blamed for an F-16 crash after takeoff because the hit birds causing a flameout I just shook my head in disbelief. I was involved in a crash landing of a single engine aircraft on my 25th birthday and folks, I am here to tell you that anyone surviving a crash landing in a single engine out crash should be awarded a medal and not be blamed for the crash!

I thank my lucky star every day that I am not serving in today's social experiment minded Air Force.

Juggs
11-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Of this week's Air Force Times before I thanked my lucky star that I am not still in the Air Force today.

The social experiments that was written about would have been laughed straight off the base had that happened in the fifties and sixties. When I read the next article about the pilots being blamed for an F-16 crash after takeoff because the hit birds causing a flameout I just shook my head in disbelief. I was involved in a crash landing of a single engine aircraft on my 25th birthday and folks, I am here to tell you that anyone surviving a crash landing in a single engine out crash should be awarded a medal and not be blamed for the crash!

I thank my lucky star every day that I am not serving in today's social experiment minded Air Force.

Welcome to today's AF. Much like the AF blaming an unconscious pilot, unconscious due to lack of oxygen due to malfunctioning O2 system. Nope, it's the pilots fault because he should've been away of his hypoxia and subsequent unconsciousness.

STODR
11-06-2013, 08:17 PM

First they did not crash land the Jet they ejected. Second the engine did not flameout, in fact the aircraft flew on its own for a couple of minutes after ejection, climbing several thousand feet while doing it, and impacting the ground with the engine still working.

Vrake
11-06-2013, 10:45 PM
First they did not crash land the Jet they ejected. Second the engine did not flameout, in fact the aircraft flew on its own for a couple of minutes after ejection, climbing several thousand feet while doing it, and impacting the ground with the engine still working.

We can buy more aircraft. Humans not so much.

He did what his training taught him IMHO.

Slyoldawg
11-07-2013, 12:33 AM

You might try reading my post over again I wrote the F-16 crashed and went on to add that I "crash landed" in an aircraft. The article I read said the pilots bailed while in a turn and losing airspeed. I didn't see anything about the aircraft climbing and the engine still running. I suppose I will dig my paper out and read the article again to see if I really missed all that.

STODR
11-07-2013, 12:35 AM
We can buy more aircraft. Humans not so much.

Very true

He did what his training taught him IMHO.

Yes and no. It is hard for me to explain more because of the confidentiality of certian stuff. People have to remember that there were many casual factors to this incident but the papers are always going to pick out the one they can make the sensational.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-07-2013, 02:16 AM
AP-PHOENIX — An instructor pilot is to blame for the June crash of an F-16 fighter at Luke Air Force Base west of Phoenix because he made a rapid climbing turn after hitting several birds while taking off, robbing the plane of airspeed and the ability to recover, according to an Air Force investigation report released Thursday.

The report released by the Air Force Air Education and Training Command at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph in Texas said the instructor should have kept climbing straight ahead until the F-16 had enough airspeed to recover and return to the base. There was likely enough engine power to safely land despite a series of engines stalls, the report said.

The instructor pilot had taken over the controls from a student for a touch-and-go practice maneuver at the base when the engine lost performance after hitting the birds. The climbing turn meant the nearly $23 million jet lost airspeed and could not maintain altitude, and the two pilots had to eject.

The plane crashed in a farm field, and the pilots were unhurt. They were not identified.

The accident board blamed the instructor for not monitoring airspeed and engine performance while looking outside the jet during the climbing turn. That limited the time available to realize the aircraft’s speed had dropped to dangerous levels and prevented recovery from the bird strike.

The accident board report also noted that the engine had not failed and was producing enough power when the plane crashed that the pilot should have been able to successfully recover if proper procedures had been followed.

Luke AFB spokesman Capt. Tristan Hinderliter said he didn’t know if the instructor had been disciplined because of the crash.

Juggs
11-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Very true

Yes and no. It is hard for me to explain more because of the confidentiality of certian stuff. People have to remember that there were many casual factors to this incident but the papers are always going to pick out the one they can make the sensational.

It's like parachuting. Try to work it out, but in the end ditch that shit and pull the reserve. It's my ass on the line. I'm coming home every damn time. Heck we buy over priced under utilized aircraft all the time.

STODR
11-07-2013, 02:57 PM
You might try reading my post over again I wrote the F-16 crashed and went on to add that I "crash landed" in an aircraft. The article I read said the pilots bailed while in a turn and losing airspeed. I didn't see anything about the aircraft climbing and the engine still running. I suppose I will dig my paper out and read the article again to see if I really missed all that.

I guess I misunderstood what this ment.

I am here to tell you that anyone surviving a crash landing in a single engine out crash should be awarded a medal and not be blamed for the crash!