PDA

View Full Version : On base events getting out of hand...

imported_DannyJ
11-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Just got the following email on my official .af.mil account:

"NCO Council Members,

On the 8th of November, at 1500 Hrs, the Dorm Council and the Dorm managers are holding an event of such magnitude, such epicness, and awesomeness the very
ground shook asunder upon its mere mention. What is it you say? What could be so prodigious and grandiose in scale to rend the earth below? It is a hybrid of 3 distinct events all mashed together into one day that will change your lives forever! It has verily been dubbed...

The LARP-a-Que... ("OOOH"... "AHHH")

It is the ONLY combination Barbeque/field day/LARP event EVER held in the hallowed Dorms of XXXXX AFB and WE NEED YOU!

We humbly request 10-15 willing, able, and awesome NCO volunteers to make this event a reality.(Not the Matrix kind either)
The breakdown goes like this...We need 5 volunteers for setup on the 8th Of Nov at 1400 Hrs L in the XXXX Hall courtyard.

We are also seeking around 5-10 volunteers (more if able) to assist with cooking/serving the food to feed the horde (or alliance-if that's your kinda thing) and to socialize with the Amn denizens of the Dorms.

So bring your tennis balls (I meant fireball spells) and wizard hats-your foam battle axes and armor of invincibility and provide the residents of the XXXX AFB Dorms, our Airmen, the support they deserve!

**Costumes are encouraged for ALL present, but not a requirement** (just make them appropriate)

So come have a good time not only supporting the Amn of the XXXX AFB dorms but getting out and having a little fun yourself.

If you have any questions or would just like to volunteer you can contact SSgt xxxxx xxxxxx (xxxxx.xxxxx@us.af.mil) or SSgt xxxxx xxxxx (xxxxx.xxxx@us.af.mil) with what you would like to volunteer for.

Have a nice day!

XXXXXXXXXXXXX X XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, SSgt, USAF"

I have been laughing so hard my entire body hurts.

poindexter
11-05-2013, 01:38 PM
**sigh** how odd...

Absinthe Anecdote
11-05-2013, 01:46 PM
It took me a few minutes to figure out what LARP is...

Then I remembered the lighting bolt guy in this video...

http://youtu.be/j_ekugPKqFw

jshiver15
11-05-2013, 01:54 PM
That is actually kind of awesome. Unit functions sponsor sports days and all kinds of other events all the time . . if you can find enough like-minded people who would enjoy this, then why not?

Granted, I think they're all a bunch of weirdos. But at least they're spending some (much needed) time outside.

BOSS302
11-05-2013, 02:09 PM
That is actually kind of awesome. Unit functions sponsor sports days and all kinds of other events all the time . . if you can find enough like-minded people who would enjoy this, then why not?

Granted, I think they're all a bunch of weirdos. But at least they're spending some (much needed) time outside.

Yes. On a duty day, let's pull 8-15 NCOs from their workcenters to assist with a Live Action Role Playing event on government property in a government facility using (no doubt) government resources.

This E-mail, in itself, is enough to make me want to pull $50,000,000,000 from the Air Force's FY funds just for being stupid.

Back to the duty day. I don't care that it is Friday at 1500hrs. Undoubtedly dorm airmen, dorm management, and these "NCO volunteers" will spend several man hours throughout different duty days with "planning" and "organizing". I see it all the time with "Holiday Party Committees" - the people in the committee are as good as useless in the work center when they have "party planning" on their calendar.

I am sure when the People's Republic of China decides to move against nations in the South China Sea, they will be beaten back by cries of, "Lighting Bolt! Lighting Bolt! DEATH!" from a hoarde of geeky, white US Air Force dudes.

jshiver15
11-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Yes. On a duty day, let's pull 8-15 NCOs from their workcenters to assist with a Live Action Role Playing event on government property in a government facility using (no doubt) government resources.

This E-mail, in itself, is enough to make me want to pull $50,000,000,000 from the Air Force's FY funds just for being stupid.

Back to the duty day. I don't care that it is Friday at 1500hrs. Undoubtedly dorm airmen, dorm management, and these "NCO volunteers" will spend several man hours throughout different duty days with "planning" and "organizing". I see it all the time with "Holiday Party Committees" - the people in the committee are as good as useless in the work center when they have "party planning" on their calendar.

I am sure when the People's Republic of China decides to move against nations in the South China Sea, they will be beaten back by cries of, "Lighting Bolt! Lighting Bolt! DEATH!" from a hoarde of geeky, white US Air Force dudes.

Yet there's no outcry over doing this for a softball game followed by a BBQ that 90% of the people there are complaining about.

jshiver15
11-05-2013, 02:14 PM

Also, believe it or not, every LARPer I've ever met is black. In fact, one was my roommate in tech school at Keesler. He also thought he was a vampire and he often wore a tail under his trench-coat.

BOSS302
11-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Yet there's no outcry over doing this for a softball game followed by a BBQ that 90% of the people there are complaining about.

Yet here we are discussing a duty-hours LARPing E-mail. I don't know what softball games you go to; the ones I've experienced in the Air Force are held at purpose-built facilities after duty hours or on weekend pass.

BOSS302
11-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Also, believe it or not, every LARPer I've ever met is black. In fact, one was my roommate in tech school at Keesler. He also thought he was a vampire and he often wore a tail under his trench-coat.

That is absurd.

jshiver15
11-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Yet here we are discussing a duty-hours LARPing E-mail. I don't know what softball games you go to; the ones I've experienced in the Air Force are held at purpose-built facilities after duty hours or on weekend pass.

When I first got to Hickam and was not yet working shifts, the admin folks organized sporting events all the time during duty days. And apparently it was pretty difficult to "sign-out" softball fields on Fridays because several other units had the same idea. Thought it was really cool for about the first 10 minutes I went to my first one then realized I'd rather be working (and I even like softball and BBQ food).

jshiver15
11-05-2013, 02:30 PM
That is absurd.

It was a pretty dark time in my life.

technomage1
11-05-2013, 02:55 PM
I agree with jshiver15 in this one. We spend countless hours planning/participating in sports activities on duty time. If people want to LARP, let them LARP. There are geeks in the AF too.

Now me, I prefer my RPGs sitting on my couch with a controller, but that's another story.

Bunch
11-05-2013, 03:00 PM
As someone who has spent the last 6 years no way near an Air Force base I do miss sometimes so of the activities that you have on base.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I would have less trouble with it if they would link it to the Air Force...

At least the Avatar LARPers are blue!

http://youtu.be/yk2vR8w2sjc

Gonzo432
11-05-2013, 04:21 PM
I agree with jshiver15 in this one. We spend countless hours planning/participating in sports activities on duty time. If people want to LARP, let them LARP. There are geeks in the AF too.

Now me, I prefer my RPGs sitting on my couch with a controller, but that's another story.

If I didn't have a teenager I'd have thought you were talking about rocket propelled grenades.

Gonzo432
11-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Just got the following email on my official .af.mil account:

"NCO Council Members,

On the 8th of November, at 1500 Hrs, the Dorm Council and the Dorm managers are holding an event of such magnitude, such epicness, and awesomeness the very
ground shook asunder upon its mere mention. What is it you say? What could be so prodigious and grandiose in scale to rend the earth below? It is a hybrid of 3 distinct events all mashed together into one day that will change your lives forever! It has verily been dubbed...

The LARP-a-Que... ("OOOH"... "AHHH")

It is the ONLY combination Barbeque/field day/LARP event EVER held in the hallowed Dorms of XXXXX AFB and WE NEED YOU!

We humbly request 10-15 willing, able, and awesome NCO volunteers to make this event a reality.(Not the Matrix kind either)
The breakdown goes like this...We need 5 volunteers for setup on the 8th Of Nov at 1400 Hrs L in the XXXX Hall courtyard.

We are also seeking around 5-10 volunteers (more if able) to assist with cooking/serving the food to feed the horde (or alliance-if that's your kinda thing) and to socialize with the Amn denizens of the Dorms.

So bring your tennis balls (I meant fireball spells) and wizard hats-your foam battle axes and armor of invincibility and provide the residents of the XXXX AFB Dorms, our Airmen, the support they deserve!

**Costumes are encouraged for ALL present, but not a requirement** (just make them appropriate)

So come have a good time not only supporting the Amn of the XXXX AFB dorms but getting out and having a little fun yourself.

If you have any questions or would just like to volunteer you can contact SSgt xxxxx xxxxxx (xxxxx.xxxxx@us.af.mil) or SSgt xxxxx xxxxx (xxxxx.xxxx@us.af.mil) with what you would like to volunteer for.

Have a nice day!

XXXXXXXXXXXXX X XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, SSgt, USAF"

I have been laughing so hard my entire body hurts.

Wow, just WOW. I don't even know where to begin. No one on this planet will ever confuse a LARP with a LERP.

ttribe
11-05-2013, 04:45 PM
I would have less trouble with it if they would link it to the Air Force...

At least the Avatar LARPers are blue!

LARP, So, there is a name for what my 10,11, and 12 year old boys were playing in the yard last night with all the neighbor kids.

Guess I'm getting old, in my day we played sports that degraded into fist fights.

Not sure what I'd do if I saw a bunch of 20 something airman-ding-bats running around the woods chasing each other with fake swords and stuff. Maybe have to go all Ted Nugent and stick-em.

20+Years
11-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Well...

Personally, I'd like to beat the piss out of the one who wrote the e-mail... just for using obnoxious descriptive words and sounding like a douche.

As far as the LARP, let them have thier fun where they can find it. We waste a multitude of resources for events, I'm not going to single them out. Just my advice, if someone shows up with a longsword + 3 strength, run!

technomage1
11-05-2013, 05:12 PM
If I didn't have a teenager I'd have thought you were talking about rocket propelled grenades.

The average age of a gamer in the US is 34. The stereotype about gamers being kids is just not supported by the facts. Maybe you don't game and that's fine, but there is no need to imply only teenagers would know this kind of thing.

http://www.esrb.org/about/video-game-industry-statistics.jsp

Absinthe Anecdote
11-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Just out of curiosity I searched for USAF LARP on YouTube...

Yep, there are videos of it! Can anyone identify the base?

http://youtu.be/RqmcPp5Qjgw

technomage1
11-05-2013, 05:30 PM
To me LARPing is no different than historical reenactments. It's a bunch of people getting together and playing out a scenario. It's the same concept regardless if you're talking about middle earth or the Middle Ages. I don't do either, but I can tell you it can be a pretty expensive hobby, especially for those interested in authenticity (be it historical or to the fantasy world). A lot of people hand make their costumes so it takes a lot of time too.

When I was stationed in England I used to go to the Festival of History every year, which had thousands if reenactors from all periods, historical demonstrations, lectures, and booths full of equipment for the reenactors. A good sword, for example, started at $125 and there were many more expensive ones too.

20+Years
11-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Oh lord, first we have a wussified image out there with the public and other services... then guys like this prove its true (the video).

BRUWIN
11-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Guess I'm getting old, in my day we played sports that degraded into fist fights.

Yeah...played in a wiffel ball game against older kids that resulted in six of us young kids getting stuffed in a small dog house and the door opening being nailed shut with plywood. We were stuffed in like sardines. I still have serious claustrophobia to this day. When we were finally got out I threw a hammer at one of the older kids responsible and hit him square in the forehead while he was trying to escape on his bicycle. I could never make that throw again if I tried a million times. He was rushed to hospital by his mom. Wiffle ball was serious shit back when I was a kid.

ttribe
11-05-2013, 06:08 PM
I could never make that throw again if I tried a million times.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Back on subject. I had a roomie at Ramstein in the 80's that would get a room at the rec center that would stay open 24 hours over certain weekends. He would spend all day friday-sunday playing role player games with his peeps. Not Dungeon and Dragons from what I remember. They were apparently more cool and advanced than that. I visited them one weekend to see what was up. Its a good feeling when you know you are the coolest guy in the room, and the one most likely to have sex(with a partner) before everyone else.

Bunch
11-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Just out of curiosity I searched for USAF LARP on YouTube...

Yep, there are videos of it! Can anyone identify the base?

http://youtu.be/RqmcPp5Qjgw

Seriously...who post this on youtube? Some people need more pt time.

imported_chipotleboy
11-05-2013, 08:05 PM
I don't like being called a "Trekkie."

I prefer "Romulan War Pre-Enactor."

Measure Man
11-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Way too weird for me...but this email was funny.

I guess since Airmen can't get drunk and have sex anymore...

SomeRandomGuy
11-06-2013, 12:31 AM
Way too weird for me...but this email was funny.

I guess since Airmen can't get drunk and have sex anymore...

Oh snap. Glad you brought this up. When I heard Live role play I was about to RSVP. That would have been awkward.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-06-2013, 02:16 AM
LARPing sounds gay. I know, I probably just violated the TOS with this disparaging, hateful, bigoted, hurtful remark against our uniformed LGBT & Q warriors.

imported_DannyJ
11-06-2013, 02:56 AM
LARPing sounds suspect. I know, I probably just violated the TOS with this disparaging, hateful, bigoted, hurtful remark against our uniformed LGBT & Q warriors.

Due to USAF sensitivity issues, the aforementioned statement has been changed. Thank you.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-06-2013, 11:18 AM
LARPing is popular in the 1N3 career field, especially Chinese and Hindi linguists. Arabic and Urdu linguist are more into World of Warcraft.

I don't think LARPing is a gay thing, it's more of a flat out nerd thing.

sandsjames
11-06-2013, 11:34 AM
It's pretty obvious that the change from sporting events to gaming/LARPing is the logical next step in the process. Hell, our warfighting went from boots on the ground to nerdy kids firing from drones.

I, for one (am not a LARPER) think it's good they are putting something together to get people involved who usually don't have the chance. I mean, really, nerdy people generally don't care about softball, flag football, Frisbee football, tug-o-wars, push up competitions, and all the other stuff that people waste several hours of work time organizing for every other "sports day" or "resiliency day" that takes place.

But you guys making fun of the go ahead and do your thing. Be that high school bully that points and laughs at the nerds while feeling you are superior because you can drink a 12 pack and hit a softball (moving 13 MPH).

Absinthe Anecdote
11-06-2013, 01:04 PM
It's pretty obvious that the change from sporting events to gaming/LARPing is the logical next step in the process. Hell, our warfighting went from boots on the ground to nerdy kids firing from drones.

I, for one (am not a LARPER) think it's good they are putting something together to get people involved who usually don't have the chance. I mean, really, nerdy people generally don't care about softball, flag football, Frisbee football, tug-o-wars, push up competitions, and all the other stuff that people waste several hours of work time organizing for every other "sports day" or "resiliency day" that takes place.

But you guys making fun of the go ahead and do your thing. Be that high school bully that points and laughs at the nerds while feeling you are superior because you can drink a 12 pack and hit a softball (moving 13 MPH).

I always used to laugh at the softball heroes. Most of them have too much abdominal subcutaneous fat and can't come close to running a sub 8 minute mile and a half.

sandsjames
11-06-2013, 01:34 PM
I always used to laugh at the softball heroes. Most of them have too much abdominal subcutaneous fat and can't come close to running a sub 8 minute mile and a half.

Sub 8 minute??? I don't think that's just the fat softball guys...(if you were referring to the "13 MPH" that was in reference to the speed of the ball, not the speed of the player).

Absinthe Anecdote
11-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Running a 7:45 mile and a half is something to brag about. Those beer drinking fatties that plink a 13Mph softball over the fence and swagger around back clapping each other really don't have much to crow about.

Bunch
11-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Running a 7:45 mile and a half is something to brag about. Those beer drinking fatties that plink a 13Mph softball over the fence and swagger around back clapping each other really don't have much to crow about.

1.5mile in 7:45?!!

WoW!! What's your age?

PM me your training routine for that!

sandsjames
11-06-2013, 01:50 PM

I can't figure out what point you are trying to make.

Stalwart
11-06-2013, 01:55 PM
... Hell, our warfighting went from boots on the ground to nerdy kids firing from drones.

Many aspects of warfighting have gone technical, but there is still a lot of boots on the ground in the way we fight.

This isn't my thing either, but if it entertains the participants then I don't see why it should be a big deal. Don't want to LARP, don't LARP ... don't want to play footbal, don't play football.

+1, well said.

Smeghead
11-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I'm guessing Base X in question is Osan. When I was at the Kun in 08 I heard LARPing was huge up there.

imported_DannyJ
11-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm guessing Base X in question is Osan. When I was at the Kun in 08 I heard LARPing was huge up there.

You'd be wrong.

Gonzo432
11-08-2013, 04:37 PM
The average age of a gamer in the US is 34. The stereotype about gamers being kids is just not supported by the facts. Maybe you don't game and that's fine, but there is no need to imply only teenagers would know this kind of thing.

http://www.esrb.org/about/video-game-industry-statistics.jsp

Demographically I'm "above average" in this case. My 26 year old son wasn't here (I see him when he does laundry) or I'd have asked him. I wasn't implying anything except to me RPG means rocket propelled grenade. I could have asked my wife, but she would have said to ask our teenager.

Bunch
11-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Seems to be also that "Mud Runs" are becoming the new thing regarding fitness... I dont particularly think this is sanitary or safe. One guys that works with us blew up his knee running in one of those.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Seems to be also that "Mud Runs" are becoming the new thing regarding fitness... I dont particularly think this is sanitary or safe. One guys that works with us blew up his knee running in one of those.

Is that anything like Hash runs?

I use to do a lot of that, it's a lot of fun! The Hash House Harriers at Osan were usually great and in the DC area the White House Hash club was a good way to meet eligible singles while running through some great parts of the city.

It's good fun, you can hurt your knee walking to the fridge to polish off a quart of vanilla-fudge ripple ice cream, so what's the difference?

Capt Alfredo
11-13-2013, 07:16 PM

I use to do a lot of that, it's a lot of fun! The Hash House Harriers at Osan were usually great and in the DC area the White House Hash club was a good way to meet eligible singles while running through some great parts of the city.

It's good fun, you can hurt your knee walking to the fridge to polish off a quart of vanilla-fudge ripple ice cream, so what's the difference?

I never would have guessed you'd make a post extolling the virtues of doing extra PT or denigrating the right of the obese to eat fancy-flavored ice cream. Next you'll tell me there's gambling in Casablanca. Better call BRUWIN to regulate! I wonder how long this thread stays here before the mods shift it.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-13-2013, 07:21 PM
I never would have guessed you'd make a post extolling the virtues of doing extra PT or denigrating the right of the obese to eat fancy-flavored ice cream. Next you'll tell me there's gambling in Casablanca. Better call BRUWIN to regulate! I wonder how long this thread stays here before the mods shift it.

I've been trying to get him to volunteer as "yellow rope" of the forums but he doesn't see too interested.

Gonzo432
11-14-2013, 01:35 AM
I've been trying to get him to volunteer as "yellow rope" of the forums but he doesn't see too interested.

Now that's some good bait there, AA.

Bunch
11-14-2013, 02:16 AM

I don't mind what people like to do in their free time but I see this new trend the same way marathoners, p90x'ers and crossfitters in the Air Force have incorporated some versions of this into regular PT. I particularly of recently enjoy running long distances with a goal of running a marathon before the end of 2014 but just because I enjoy this I'm will not expect any in my work area to do the same. Sometimes PTL's take things too far IMO.

Chief_KO
11-14-2013, 02:47 AM
And every single cause or memorial type event (breast cancer, Heritage Month, POW/MIA, etc.) has a 5K run as part of the festivities...apparently the only way to honor or bring awareness is by running...
I always thought intramural golf was the biggest scam (along with all the various golf outings)...always on a duty day.

Bunch
11-14-2013, 02:50 AM
And every single cause or memorial type event (breast cancer, Heritage Month, POW/MIA, etc.) has a 5K run as part of the festivities...apparently the only way to honor or bring awareness is by running...
I always thought intramural golf was the biggest scam (along with all the various golf outings)...always on a duty day.

How dare you say anything bad about golf? I can't believe you made it to Chief!!

Chief_KO
11-14-2013, 02:53 AM
I actually golfed a few times at my first assignment on Guam. Never really got the golf bug. Plus back then I didn't need an excuse to drink!

Capt Alfredo
11-14-2013, 02:10 PM

When I was enlisted, I got plenty of time off for intramural golf, that's for sure!

Kalbo607
11-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Look like the event that started this thread was a success. Saw this in an ASFA newletter:

"First Four/Dorm Council Update: LARP-A Que was very successful. Airman had a good time with Pugil Sticks, Sumo Wrestling and delicious food."

OtisRNeedleman
11-15-2013, 09:41 PM
When I was enlisted, I got plenty of time off for intramural golf, that's for sure!

Tell me about it...when I was at Randolph, seemed like people there and at other San Antonio bases would have Friday afternoon golf tournaments at the drop of a hat. I didn't play golf but it was no big deal to me. I was constantly TDY and had adequate time off/recreational opportunities.

OtisRNeedleman
11-15-2013, 09:42 PM

Yup, and normally that duty day was Friday.

Measure Man
11-15-2013, 10:05 PM

Seriously, if anyone isn't aware of Breast Cancer by now, there really is no hope for them anyway.

Enough of the Awareness...let's get to the curing.

Gonzo432
11-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Look like the event that started this thread was a success. Saw this in an ASFA newletter:

"First Four/Dorm Council Update: LARP-A Que was very successful. Airman had a good time with Pugil Sticks, Sumo Wrestling and delicious food."

I just looked that up on "the Google", that's those giant Q-Tips folks whack each other with.