PDA

View Full Version : Michigan woman’s Boston Marathon bombing costume sparks outrage, threats

Bunch
11-05-2013, 03:29 AM
A woman who dressed as a bloody Boston Marathon bombing victim unleashed the wrath of Internet vigilantes.

Alicia Ann Lynch, 22, posted a pic of herself wearing the gory Halloween costume on her Twitter account.

I mean common seriously... What is this girl thinking? Who seriously is going to find that funny and/or appropiate? I think death threats is over the top but sometimes I question the thinking process of some people.

What you guys think?

Link to article:http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1505395#bmb=1

jshiver15
11-05-2013, 04:05 AM
Google "Alicia Ann Lynch Tumblr". I think you'll end up forgiving her. ;-)

**Edit: I don't mean that you'll literally forgive her . . but you have to admit, she has a decent package going for herself. But she's obviously just looking for attention (she got it).

Bunch
11-05-2013, 04:12 AM

**Edit: I don't mean that you'll literally forgive her . . but you have to admit, she has a decent package going for herself. But she's obviously just looking for attention (she got it).

:bigeyes2:

Oh boy!!! I fear for what this thread will become.

giggawatt
11-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Dem teddies!!!! :banana:

AJBIGJ
11-05-2013, 12:04 PM
It worked for Miley Cyrus, it worked for Madonna, same basic principle applies...

AJBIGJ
11-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Might want to put a NSFW disclaimer on that!

TJMAC77SP
11-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't condone the cyber (or real life) bullying. Stating one's anger over the costume choice is fine. That can be done without bullying.

For what it's worth I read several messages in her statement to BuzzFeed.................I believe she is sorry for the choice but not because she truly thinks it was insensitive but more because of the reaction she has gotten and the impact on her life.

"...............Though Lynch seems able to let most of the threats slide down her back, some in particular affect her — namely, the ones having to do with rape, an experience she tearily described undergoing last Thanksgiving.

“When people bring up the rape stuff it kind of hits a spot, but I don’t show it. I’m over it, but it’s something that I would never, ever wish upon someone no matter what they had done. They can dress however they want.”

Despite the backlash, Lynch said she never second-guessed her marathon costume and said multiple people she brought it up to found the idea funny. She claimed she had seen other people on Twitter dressed as Boston Marathon victims, and blamed the uproar around her costume, rather than around others’, on the fact that she is a woman.

“Honestly, it’s the Day of the Dead,” she says. “I wasn’t a dead person, I wasn’t being disrespectful. I was a survivor of a marathon. And it’s not like I was walking around with a fake leg or my arm torn off or something like that.”

She added that although she lost her job — which she declined to describe — she sees it as a push to do something new, and isn’t concerned about future employers googling her. Asked if she thinks she’ll be able to secure another job, she replied, “Yeah, I don’t think I’ll have an issue with that.”

“It doesn’t really bother me,” she said about the idea of others searching for her on the internet. “I have nothing to hide. It happened, I made a mistake. I just have to learn from it. I’m not a terrible person...............”

Absinthe Anecdote
11-05-2013, 01:38 PM
What about Northwestern University and their "wounded warrior" uniform with what looks like blood spatter on it?

Is that in bad taste?

jshiver15
11-05-2013, 02:01 PM
What about Northwestern University and their "wounded warrior" uniform with what looks like blood spatter on it?

Is that in bad taste?

Not sure if it is IN bad taste . . but definitely bad taste itself. Then again, I'm not a fan of people using the American flag as a fashion accessory, anyways.

Greg
11-05-2013, 02:05 PM
An attention whore. Nothing more. Just like the young woman about three years ago, in Arlington National Cemetery, pretending to shout at a "Please be Quiet" sign. Be careful what you wish for.

Greg
11-05-2013, 02:06 PM

Is that in bad taste?

I watch Big 10 football, and have heard nothing about this.

Bunch
11-05-2013, 03:02 PM

I'm in Chicago and haven't heard about this either.

Measure Man
11-05-2013, 03:57 PM
The irreverent humor line is a difficult one to navigate sometimes.

You go up to it, and you are hailed as the next Howard Stern....step over it and you're toast.

There is a lot of this type stuff around...the cyber-bullying is kind of out of control though...people seem to enjoy watching someone else get completely destroyed for a relatively small mistake. This could happen to any of us...unless you're one of those perfect people out there.

Bunch
11-05-2013, 07:19 PM
The irreverent humor line is a difficult one to navigate sometimes.

You go up to it, and you are hailed as the next Howard Stern....step over it and you're toast.

There is a lot of this type stuff around...the cyber-bullying is kind of out of control though...people seem to enjoy watching someone else get completely destroyed for a relatively small mistake. This could happen to any of us...unless you're one of those perfect people out there.

I agree.

The mob mentality that social media has allowed to be created is one of the most negatives aspects of the entire social media revolution.

garhkal
11-05-2013, 08:46 PM
I agree.

The mob mentality that social media has allowed to be created is one of the most negatives aspects of the entire social media revolution.

Especially since the law/sites seems to be unable to do anything to those who DO make the death/rape threats.. You would think at least the Site owners would ban that person's account.

AJBIGJ
11-06-2013, 02:36 AM
Especially since the law/sites seems to be unable to do anything to those who DO make the death/rape threats.. You would think at least the Site owners would ban that person's account.

What that would require is fairly comprehensive oversight, anyone who posts here has seen the backlash even a little censorship can generate, even when the content is fairly blatantly violating multiple specific TOS subareas.

The number of active contributors here is quite small, while the volume of posts is still quite significant, and even with several mods very actively engaged I would guess only a fraction gets commented upon or acted upon. Scale this up to even one high user volume site, it's like trying to stop a tidal wave with a tea spoon. You could literally employ a small town full time just to conduct regular interventions and still probably be significantly overwhelmed at the task.

SomeRandomGuy
11-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Her costume definitely is not worse than this one.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/10/two-men-dress-trayvon-martin-and-george-zimmerman-halloween-0

Bunch
11-06-2013, 03:40 AM
Her costume definitely is not worse than this one.

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/10/two-men-dress-trayvon-martin-and-george-zimmerman-halloween-0

Bro'!!

You are asking for trouble posting that here...

garhkal
11-06-2013, 06:10 AM
What that would require is fairly comprehensive oversight, anyone who posts here has seen the backlash even a little censorship can generate, even when the content is fairly blatantly violating multiple specific TOS subareas.

The number of active contributors here is quite small, while the volume of posts is still quite significant, and even with several mods very actively engaged I would guess only a fraction gets commented upon or acted upon. Scale this up to even one high user volume site, it's like trying to stop a tidal wave with a tea spoon. You could literally employ a small town full time just to conduct regular interventions and still probably be significantly overwhelmed at the task.

So cause it would require a lot of oversite, don't bother?

Stalwart
11-06-2013, 09:21 AM
So cause it would require a lot of oversite, don't bother?

From the business side, it is likely more like "oversight would cost a lot of money, we are a free service and the amount of oversight required would cut too deep into the profits."

AJBIGJ
11-06-2013, 11:46 AM
From the business side, it is likely more like "oversight would cost a lot of money, we are a free service and the amount of oversight required would cut too deep into the profits."

That plus return on investment. The question those site facilitators are likely asking themselves is probably something akin to "Are the impacts of the "trolls" detrimental enough that is worth investing the amount of resources necessary to go on a witchhunt/crusade to put an end to it?"

The big question they are probably asking themselves is something like "are are users sufficiently offended by these types of comments to stop using our services?", if so, then "how many users are likely to be lost and is it worth investing the additional oversight necessary to circumvent it?"

Under most circumstances, the answer is generally no, if the user base is sufficiently expansive it would be akin to trying to stop a tornado by blowing really hard.

Greg
11-06-2013, 09:31 PM

Well, I have now. Sorry AA.

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/afteraction/2013/11/05/northwesterns-patriotic-uniforms-tribute-tacky-both-wvideo/

And yes, I think it's in bad taste.

AJBIGJ
11-07-2013, 12:57 PM
I think society itself encourages this type of behavior, as well as all of these "Mass shootings" we see of late based on the amount of media coverage and uproar when these incidents occur. It's just fanning the flames for people seeking attention to act out, not drastically different from raising a three year old unfortunately. If we really oppose things like the two British girls who dressed up as the twin towers, the best response is to shake your head and move along quietly.

Greg
11-07-2013, 02:03 PM
I think society itself encourages this type of behavior, as well as all of these "Mass shootings" we see of late based on the amount of media coverage and uproar when these incidents occur. It's just fanning the flames for people seeking attention to act out, not drastically different from raising a three year old unfortunately. If we really oppose things like the two British girls who dressed up as the twin towers, the best response is to shake your head and move along quietly.

Agreed. Why give them the validation they seek?

jshiver15
11-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Definitely not worse than the two 19 year old sluts who dressed up as the WTC, decked out with planes and flames. What the hell is wrong with people?

Juggs
11-07-2013, 04:15 PM
She is an idiot but I'd hit it.

garhkal
11-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Definitely not worse than the two 19 year old sluts who dressed up as the WTC, decked out with planes and flames. What the hell is wrong with people?

First i have heard about this.. When was it they did this stupidity?

jshiver15
11-07-2013, 07:37 PM
First i have heard about this.. When was it they did this stupidity?

Apparently they won the costume contest.

garhkal
11-07-2013, 09:02 PM
After i posted i googled it.. Strange. When i looked it up on Bing, it was 'blocked'.