PDA

View Full Version : Stationed in California with kids?

Drackore
11-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Here's a concern of mine. Anyone here currently stationed in liberal Cali with kids? What are you doing about the school situation? A lot of craziness coming out with these bathrooms as well as the education and whatnot. If you are, like me and my family, part of the traditional conservative "nazi hate based biased bigot racist white supremacist" value based family - what options do you have if you get orders to that state?

Or is the media causing a huge overreaction? Keep in mind I have been stationed overseas for almost a decade, so I am asking because I am truly ignorant on it and my only source of knowledge is the slanted media. At the same time, it's hard for the media to slant the fact that bathrooms are now pretty much gender neutral..that a kid can select their "gender identity" regardless of what genitals they were born with and just walk into whatever bathroom they feel like. In grade school I see that being awkward but not a real problem. In high school I see that being a witches brew for sexual assault disaster, mostly for girls but also for the boys that are introverts and the socially awkward/bullied. Then there is the progressive doctrine that I hear about...I sure wouldn't want my kid in that school system.

Edit: Let me caveat this post with I don't want to make this post a lib vs conservative bashing post. I am sure we have liberals on here that kind of dread getting stationed in Texas. In that case...what would THEY do as well? So I guess the post is what are the options for both sides?

Vrake
11-03-2013, 10:41 AM
As long as you have talked to your kids and given them a strong foundation you should be fine. Let them know they are going to experience things that are different and that's not a bad thing. Just tell them remember where they come from and make good choices. As with anything communication in all things is key.

As much as I hate California I can't bash it to much. The media loves to seize single snippets of things to tell a story about the whole.

sandsjames
11-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Here's a concern of mine. Anyone here currently stationed in liberal Cali with kids? What are you doing about the school situation? A lot of craziness coming out with these bathrooms as well as the education and whatnot. If you are, like me and my family, part of the traditional conservative "nazi hate based biased bigot racist white supremacist" value based family - what options do you have if you get orders to that state?

Or is the media causing a huge overreaction? Keep in mind I have been stationed overseas for almost a decade, so I am asking because I am truly ignorant on it and my only source of knowledge is the slanted media. At the same time, it's hard for the media to slant the fact that bathrooms are now pretty much gender neutral..that a kid can select their "gender identity" regardless of what genitals they were born with and just walk into whatever bathroom they feel like. In grade school I see that being awkward but not a real problem. In high school I see that being a witches brew for sexual assault disaster, mostly for girls but also for the boys that are introverts and the socially awkward/bullied. Then there is the progressive doctrine that I hear about...I sure wouldn't want my kid in that school system.

Edit: Let me caveat this post with I don't want to make this post a lib vs conservative bashing post. I am sure we have liberals on here that kind of dread getting stationed in Texas. In that case...what would THEY do as well? So I guess the post is what are the options for both sides?

It's an overreaction. I doubt your kids will notice any difference at when it comes to the things you're talking about. Was raised in California schools, and stationed there twice. Not once did I hear a parent complain that the school was too "liberal".

As far as the bathroom worries, I'd equate it to the stories of basic trainees having time-out cards. It's something people claim happens, but it's just not going on (except for maybe in some select areas). I'm not sure which base you will be stationed at, but I'd bet you have nothing to worry about. And I also don't think you have to worry about the teachers teaching with a "liberal slant". Not until college, anyway.

colethings
11-03-2013, 01:44 PM
It's an overreaction. I doubt your kids will notice any difference at when it comes to the things you're talking about. Was raised in California schools, and stationed there twice. Not once did I hear a parent complain that the school was too "liberal".

As far as the bathroom worries, I'd equate it to the stories of basic trainees having time-out cards. It's something people claim happens, but it's just not going on (except for maybe in some select areas). I'm not sure which base you will be stationed at, but I'd bet you have nothing to worry about. And I also don't think you have to worry about the teachers teaching with a "liberal slant". Not until college, anyway.

The Bathroom is not just a worry, it is real. Starting Jan 1, students can use the bathroom with the gender they identify.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/13/us/california-transgender-school-law/

The California schools are teaching with a liberal slant as required by law.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/california.lgbt.education/

Rainmaker
11-03-2013, 01:56 PM
Beautiful state. it's known for good schools. Too bad it has Californians in it. check out school digger. you'll figure out the rest.

USAF-Controller
11-04-2013, 02:26 AM
The California schools are teaching with a liberal slant as required by law.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/14/california.lgbt.education/

Yes, because teaching FACTS is a liberal bias. Did you actually read the article?

USAF-Controller
11-04-2013, 02:29 AM

I teach my children that when they encounter stupid, they just leave it alone and move on. I've thought them to think for themselves and do their own research.

Bunch
11-04-2013, 02:50 AM

You can always go the home schooling or private school route.

Drackore
11-04-2013, 04:41 AM
You can always go the home schooling or private school route.

Wouldn't the private schools in Cali be required to adhere to this bathroom rule? Or will it apply only to public schools?

AJBIGJ
11-04-2013, 04:58 AM
If you join the petition, you may successfully help implement the creation of the state of "Jefferson"!

sandsjames
11-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Wouldn't the private schools in Cali be required to adhere to this bathroom rule? Or will it apply only to public schools?

Should only be public. Private can pretty much do what they want, I'd think (thinking of prayer in Christian schools).

USAF-Controller
11-04-2013, 12:08 PM
In all seriousness Drakore here's what I would do were I stationed in an area I didn't like. If my children were being taught something I didn't agree with I would research the subject myself. If, after looking at the facts for myself it turns out my children were being taught wrong I would educate them by showing them the facts on the subject. If it's a simple matter of you don't want them taught something because of your religion then just explain that you believe a certain way and here is why. Either way teach your children to think for themselves. in today's world of vastly differing opinions and information on demand, children will be hit with every possible viewpoint. Give them the tools to sort through all the BS and decide for themselves what THEY think is right.

OtisRNeedleman
11-04-2013, 02:25 PM
When we came to California from Ft Meade in 95 both my kids lost a year of school. What my son did in second grade in MD he pretty much did in third grade in CA. Same for my daughter. Son qualified for the school district (Monterey Peninsula Unified School District)'s gifted and talented program. Gave it a try. Too many kids, not enough resources. Got bored and dropped out of it. If you live in the Monterey school district and can possibly afford to do so you send your kids to private schools or home-school them. The nearby Carmel and Pacific Grove districts are much better. Have never seen a school district as poorly managed as the Monterey district. Their financial and management shenanigans have provided a lot of fodder for the local media over the years. Have one child still in the school district, graduating from high school in the spring. Thank God! So if you have orders to Monterey, if you can't afford private schools/homeschooling, try to live in Pacific Grove or Carmel, if you plan to live off-base. If you aren't sure ask the landlord or property management agency. If you are living on base, or in Monterey, Seaside, or Marina, you are stuck with the Monterey school district. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Measure Man
11-04-2013, 02:56 PM

Rumors of liberal whackiness in California are greatly exaggerated.

California is a huge state...and like much of the rest of the country, tends to be liberal in the cities. Being "stationed in California" is a widely different experience depending on if you are stationed at Travis, Edwards, Vandenberg, LA, or wherever....even if they do have this state law allowing kids to use whatever bathroom...the odds of it actually being an issue in your kids' school because of a transgender classmate are remote to slim. It's really not worth worrying about.

I live in a very conservative area, but haven't noticed much difference in the curriculum here than anywhere else. Our kids say the pledge at the beginning of the school day...have ROTC and everything! My step-daughter graduated last year, but he HS was really great.

For the most part, California is an awesome place.

sandsjames
11-04-2013, 03:12 PM

California is a huge state...and like much of the rest of the country, tends to be liberal in the cities. Being "stationed in California" is a widely different experience depending on if you are stationed at Travis, Edwards, Vandenberg, LA, or wherever....even if they do have this state law allowing kids to use whatever bathroom...the odds of it actually being an issue in your kids' school because of a transgender classmate are remote to slim. It's really not worth worrying about.

I live in a very conservative area, but haven't noticed much difference in the curriculum here than anywhere else. Our kids say the pledge at the beginning of the school day...have ROTC and everything! My step-daughter graduated last year, but he HS was really great.

Agree...I'm from an area of the state that is mostly conservative. And, if you look at Governors, there have been very many republicans. It's strange, because it's so blue when it comes to the presidential election. I've never once been given directions to an abortion clinic by a cross-dresser driving a Prius when crossing into California.

Back to topic, it's no different than rumors of Texas schools. My step son went to school when I was stationed there and, believe it or not, they didn't issue him a rifle, they didn't teach from the bible, and never once did he end up on death row for missing a homework assignment. Schools are schools, kids are kids. And, in my opinion, having my kid go to a school that taught things he was uncomfortable with would be a good thing. It would provoke thought and open discussion at home if he raised questions.

If you feel your child is unable to think for himself then a private school is the way to go. If you feel your kid/s have the ability to reason, public school, in any state, is just fine.

AJBIGJ
11-04-2013, 03:18 PM

That does make for an interesting point to analyze, why highly populated areas tend to swing so far to the left over time. I think I may start another thread about that here soon.

Measure Man
11-04-2013, 03:28 PM
That does make for an interesting point to analyze, why highly populated areas tend to swing so far to the left over time. I think I may start another thread about that here soon.

Another thread would be good...any attempt to answer that here would necessarily turn into a lib v conservative bashing post :-)

People maybe don't comprehend the size of California it seems, or how most of it is rural farming types...living in two different places within this same state can be as different as living in Massachusets and Louisiana.

Remember, California is the home of Reagan...and Nixon!

sandsjames
11-04-2013, 03:28 PM

Please don't start it...it will lead to more of the same discussion...highly populated urban areas, low income, wanting government benefits...it will only lead to more bans.

sandsjames
11-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Another thread would be good...any attempt to answer that here would necessarily turn into a lib v conservative bashing post :-)

People maybe don't comprehend the size of California it seems, or how most of it is rural farming types...living in two different places within this same state can be as different as living in Massachusets and Louisiana.

Remember, California is the home of Reagan...and Nixon!

And Arnie...don't forget Arnie...oh...and Mayor Eastwood.

AJBIGJ
11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Please don't start it...it will lead to more of the same discussion...highly populated urban areas, low income, wanting government benefits...it will only lead to more bans.

The "Entitlements" thread gave me a thread of hope about whether MTF posters are actually capable of civil political discussion, I guess we can wait and see. If people can't manage that I'd only be delaying the inevitable.

sandsjames
11-04-2013, 03:38 PM
The "Entitlements" thread gave me a thread of hope about whether MTF posters are actually capable of civil political discussion, I guess we can wait and see. If people can't manage that I'd only be delaying the inevitable.

No problem, I think we'll be fine...

garhkal
11-04-2013, 07:27 PM

With how that thread devolved i have the opposite reaction. I Don't think many around here are capable of civil discussions on that subject with out resorting to name calling, slander etc..

LogDog
11-04-2013, 11:12 PM

I don't have kids but I'm retired and live in California. The key is to find out which school district is the best and try to find a place within that school district to live. Not all school districts are equal so you'll have to do a little research. From my friends, most of whom are conservatives, don't have a problem with the curriculum being taught in their schools so I wouldn't worry that your conservative values are in danger.

poindexter
11-05-2013, 12:10 AM
I was born and raised in Southern California and it isn't as bad as people make it sound. There are a lot of conservative counties, especially in NORCAL. I suggest do some research and find what city is good for you and your family. Good luck!

Airborne
11-05-2013, 01:59 AM
Great example of how the media is not very liberal. Anyone who has lived in CA knows that the state is way more rural than urban, the last how ever many governors have been republican, and that the residents are more conservative centrist than liberal. You probably thought we were going to be showering together when they repealed dont ask dont tell. My first thought was that the post was very Wills Powers-esque and sounded very troll-y. If you are for real, bless your heart.