PDA

View Full Version : AAFES Restaurants That Wouldn't Hack It Outside the Gate

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Anthony's disgusting pizza and wings

AFcynic
11-02-2013, 08:47 PM
All of them. That's why you're seeing Popeye's, Domino's, Arby's...

The beginning of the end was bringing in Subway to kill Robin Hood.

technomage1
11-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Robin Hood was disgusting. The franchise chains are much better.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-02-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm surprised RH has lasted this long. So nice to see Subways on many bases. Now it's time for another successful chain to kill off Anthony's. Over my career I was always convinced that the lack of competition is the #1 reason most of the nasty government restaurants have lasted as long as they have.

TomTom093
11-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Smokin' Joes BBQ on Lackland. Hell, I can't think of how it's surviving on base anyway...

Gonzo432
11-03-2013, 12:01 AM
The same word twice: Frank's Franks.

Airborne
11-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Pizza Hut (express?) is replacing many anthonys. Burger King has gone waaaaay downhill since my childhood in the 90s. I dont particularly mind the lowest common denominator eateries and to some degree the chains have to have an international presence and supply chain to be successful on overseas bases. Thats why you can have a Subway in the UK that offers some sort of chicken tikka sandwich but you cant get that in America. Same thing with Burger King and Pizza hut.
I wish AAFES didnt have such a stranglehold and offered more regional specialties. I would take a -bertos at Luke AFB way before taco bell and other examples....

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-03-2013, 01:12 AM
The same word twice: Frank's Franks.

But what can replace a frank's franks, Five Guys? If you haven't had a FF, then you haven't had a real 'dog.' Scratch this one from the list!

Gonzo432
11-03-2013, 01:30 AM
But what can replace a frank's franks, Five Guys? If you haven't had a FF, then you haven't had a real 'dog.' Scratch this one from the list!

If Nathan's wasn't the sponsor of the hot dog eating contest and it was, oh I dunno, Frank's Franks, Joey Chestnut's record would be 4. He'd have died afterwards too.

Airborne
11-03-2013, 01:53 AM
I guess military income as a whole doesnt hack it but I would love some more mid-scale eateries like Chipotle and Pei Wei to be on base. Is manchu-wok an actual place or an AAFES place like anthonys? Never seen one outside of the gate. Ive never seen a Charley's outside of the gate either, but it appears to be a real thing.

imported_blacksheep1208
11-03-2013, 07:11 AM
I guess military income as a whole doesnt hack it but I would love some more mid-scale eateries like Chipotle and Pei Wei to be on base. Is manchu-wok an actual place or an AAFES place like anthonys? Never seen one outside of the gate. Ive never seen a Charley's outside of the gate either, but it appears to be a real thing.

I wondered that for years until I saw a Charley's at a mall near Buckley AFB in Colorado.

akruse
11-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Anyone know how this process works? From my perspective it has to be a good deal. You have infrastructure already built most of the time, plenty of workers, pretty much guaranteed customer base, and pretty good stability. Now I'm sure AAFES makes shit really difficult and I'm guessing there is a bidding or contracting process involved as well.

Chief_KO
11-03-2013, 08:08 PM
There's a Charley's at the Arundel Mills Mall outside Ft Meade, MD.
Ellsworth was trying to bring in either/both Pizza Hut & Subway. Biggest hurdle for most bases is when the company's come in and do the market research. A year and a half ago it sounded like a go, but nothing has happened so I figure it must have fell through.
AAFES also share's employees across the various stores, whereas if it was outsourced I doubt Subway would allow a Pizza Hut employee to work there. I agree there should be enough business there, but probably it comes down to how much AAFES would take from the vendor's...I kinda doubt they are open to a flat rental agreement.

BOSS302
11-03-2013, 09:13 PM
The Burger King at Lakenheath only needs to add a note that reads, "Fuck You", to top-off their customer service. Next door, Popeye's is staffed by one angry black man and several equally-unpleasant Eastern Europeans.

Several years ago, Chili's wanted to open a restaurant downstairs in the newly-built Galaxy Club on RAF Mildenhall. FSS (yes I know not AAFES, but they do sleep together...) decided to screw-up a good thing and demand that 50% of Chili's profits get rolled-back into FSS/NAF. Chili's said, "No", and now RAF Mildenhall has New York Deli & Pizza and Roadhouse Grill...aka...New York Garbage Food and Roadkill Grill.

akruse
11-03-2013, 09:43 PM
The Burger King at Lakenheath only needs to add a note that reads, "Fuck You", to top-off their customer service. Next door, Popeye's is staffed by one angry black man and several equally-unpleasant Eastern Europeans.

Several years ago, Chili's wanted to open a restaurant downstairs in the newly-built Galaxy Club on RAF Mildenhall. FSS (yes I know not AAFES, but they do sleep together...) decided to screw-up a good thing and demand that 50% of Chili's profits get rolled-back into FSS/NAF. Chili's said, "No", and now RAF Mildenhall has New York Deli & Pizza and Roadhouse Grill...aka...New York Garbage Food and Roadkill Grill.

The BK there absolutely takes the cake for shittiest everything ever. The Pizza Hut they finally got to was definitely not the pizza hut recipe from the states.

RS6405
11-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Popeyes away from a base (& in Louisiana) rocks, but then again the people who are making the items know what the food is supposed to taste like.

Airborne
11-04-2013, 01:27 AM

I think that BK worldwide is has just gone rapidly downhill in the states and was only marginally edible outside of the gates in the UK. My in laws live in newmarket and have never set foot in that BK near the roundabout leading in to town from the north (near Tesco). One time at the popeyes I saw someone stir the sweet tea nearly elbow deep with no protection and a few months later they had the worst rating you could get without getting shut down from public health. One time that one "angry black man" refused me service because I asked for a "bucket" of chicken. I thought he was joking but he was really refusing me service until I corrected myself. I banged one of the eastern euro chicks from the subway at the AFSOC gate on mildenhall so I cant complain about them. New York pizza is not that bad but it does leave something to be desired and it does get very old considering the lack of eateries in the immediate Mil/Lak area.

imported_wtrwlkr
11-04-2013, 06:25 AM
I'm at Cannon right now, and besides being an absolute shitty location, our food offerings have improved drastically in the few months. To start, we kicked Anthonys to the curb and brought in Dominos (the first one i've seen at a base), which opened 2 months ago. We also have an awesome Subway, and our Taco Bell is always packed. Next, a couple of food trucks set up shop outside the BX. One serves some decent fried catfish, another great tacos. Those trucks have since moved to other locations on base. The truck that's in front of the BX right now serves the best pulled pork sandwiches I've had in my life.

I'd really like to see a Starbucks set up shop. Right now we have a local joint that "proudly brews" Starbucks coffee, but it just isn't the same.

One idea i've had is to set up a franchise deal to bring in CoCo Ichibanya (Japanese curry joint) onto military bases. I ate there 3x a week minimum when I was at Yokota and everyone I know who's been stationed in Japan raves about it. I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass to bring them in, but I'm equally sure they'd make a killing. They already have locations CONUS but only in the Los Angeles area.

BOSS302
11-04-2013, 06:26 AM
I think that BK worldwide is has just gone rapidly downhill in the states and was only marginally edible outside of the gates in the UK. My in laws live in newmarket and have never set foot in that BK near the roundabout leading in to town from the north (near Tesco). One time at the popeyes I saw someone stir the sweet tea nearly elbow deep with no protection and a few months later they had the worst rating you could get without getting shut down from public health. One time that one "angry black man" refused me service because I asked for a "bucket" of chicken. I thought he was joking but he was really refusing me service until I corrected myself. I banged one of the eastern euro chicks from the subway at the AFSOC gate on mildenhall so I cant complain about them. New York pizza is not that bad but it does leave something to be desired and it does get very old considering the lack of eateries in the immediate Mil/Lak area.

You are gross about the Eastern European chick.

I wonder if we are discussing the same guy at Popeye's. This "gentleman" is middle-aged, light-skinned, a bit portly. He has this constant look of mild surprise on his face.

NYPD and Roadhouse are the worst. Ever. In history. You can pay $6 for a shitty slice of pizza and a drink, or you can spend $5 and bake yourself a whole delicious DiGiorno pizza.

I will say that the few times I have eaten from Charley's in Lakenheath, it's always hit the spot. Good stuff.

Monkey
11-04-2013, 09:46 AM
As much as on-base food ticks me off, I have to admit that it has improved dramatically since my first two assignments.

Kunsan, 91-92: no chain restaurants whatsoever (you had to go to Osan for BK or Popeyes), the Oriental House was the only "restaurant" that offered decent food-but you would have to wait at least 45 minutes for it, "El Lobo" was the most hilarious excuse for mexican food I've ever seen, Anthony's was always dramatically undercooked, and the club had such a rat problem that you had to very brave/drunk to go that route.

KI Sawyer, 92-95: once again there were no chain restaurants whatsoever (always heard it was to prevent competition against the Club), there was a pizza/sandwich shop (can't recall the name) owned by the Club that served the most disgusting food I've ever eaten (everything tasted like it had fine sand in it). That's it. If it weren't for the fact that you could get food delivered from off-base, it would have been chow hall or nothing.

Absinthe Anecdote
11-04-2013, 10:55 AM
There is a new place on Seymore Johnson AFB called Miss Irma's that serves elementary school cafeteria food.

The signature dish is called Bologna Cup, it is a slice of bologna with a scoop of instant mashed potatoes, topped with a thin slice of imitation cheddar cheese. They bake the Bologna cups in mass for just long enough to melt the cheese and give the mashed potatoes a brownish tint.

They usually pair up the Bologna Cups with Carrot & Raisin salad, shredded carrots and raisins mixed with Miracle Whip.

Wash it down with a small carton of warm chocolate milk and you've got yourself a treat. You can also find the usual school cafeteria offerings at Miss Irma's like Salisbury steak, fish sticks, and sloppy joes.

I've got to give them credit for thinking outside the box for the concept of Miss Irma's, it's institutional style food in the BX food court.

Stalwart
11-04-2013, 10:57 AM
There was a pretty good chain on Camp Lejeune in 2000 called Andy's (local burger chain with good cheesesteak). I don't know if they are still on base (they are still in business in town), they were pretty good.

Chief_KO
11-04-2013, 12:06 PM
Anyone ever eat at the Cinnabon at Ramstein (KMCC)...something was amiss. It definitely was not the same recipe as in the states.

jshiver15
11-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I think a majority of the restaurants at AAFES installations wouldn't survive "as is" outside the gate, but they do really well on base because people simply have horrible taste and are lazy. Plus, they don't want to try anything else. We actually have a pretty nice Bäckerei in our PX that serves really good coffee, pastries, and sandwiches, but it's NEVER busy. Meanwhile, Taco Bell (with its somewhat limited menu), Pizza Hut (not even close to being legit), and Popeyes (can't really complain there, it's still pretty good) are always packed. It amazes me how many people I've talked to here that have never even tried a döner. Absolutely shameful.

jshiver15
11-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Anyone ever eat at the Cinnabon at Ramstein (KMCC)...something was amiss. It definitely was not the same recipe as in the states.

Agreed. I guess I would liken it to a grocery store shelf version if Cinnabon. Just not that good.

jshiver15
11-04-2013, 12:38 PM
The BK there absolutely takes the cake for shittiest everything ever. The Pizza Hut they finally got to was definitely not the pizza hut recipe from the states.

I was once going through the drive-thru at BK (I was desperate, had just finished a 14 hour shift and hadn't eaten in about 10). I get up to the intercom and the douche-nozzle on the other side start impersonating Squidward from Spongebob and keeps asking if I want to order a crabby patty. Stumbled into the Commissary and got a deli sandwich instead. Haven't had a reason to go back to BK since.

jmb27
11-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Many years ago, before I got here, Cape Canaveral had a Chick-Fil-A truck that would come up to the base with a cooler full of chicken sandwiches and sell them. All they had was the original chicken sandwich and they would sell out every day. Even though you couldn't get the fries, or even a drink with the sandwich they still threatened the BK, Robin Hood and whatever shitty place was here at the time. They all started loosing business until AAFES got Chick-Fil-A banned.

Now all they have is a BK that sells room temperature burgers and a Subway that has a longer wait time than a regular lunch break.

71Fish
11-04-2013, 01:54 PM
It always seems restaurants on base have such shitty service, it's a wonder the company doesn't come in a make changes. It's what we come to expect (and accept) on base though.

If you've been to Osan then you have no doubt been to Chili's. There is a spin off/knock off at Kunsan called Pepper's. Similar menu but with different names for items. It's horrible, slow, under/over cooked. If it wasn't for a lack of choices at Kunsan, even that place wouldn't survive on base.

Kicker47
11-04-2013, 02:06 PM
I've sworn off Anthony's Pizza since the last time I ate it, about 10 minutes later, my stomach started making a sound that was best described as "a washing machine full of chocolate pudding".

With as much "Healthy Living" rhetoric that AF has been spewing, I'm mildly surprised that they haven't started weeding out the grease-pits like BK.

Years ago at Minot, I think the NAF eating places were worse than the AAFES places. Roughrider's Pizza was essentially greasey cardboard with processed artificial cheese food and watered down tomato sauce. I once made the mistake of trying what they called a "calzone" (note: it wasn't a "calzone"). It was a stack of artificial pepperoni topped with yellow cheese ("WTF is this?" I exclaimed) inside an undercooked ball of dough. I would eat nothing but Anthony's for a week before I eat at Roughriders again. They used to have a Sub-Shop near the ball fields that was half-decent, but they axed that place (of course).

I used to go to the Base Advisory Council meetings there, and every month, people would ask about getting new or better food places. It got to the point where it must have been embarressing for the AAFES and NAF reps.

AFcynic
11-04-2013, 02:47 PM
I was once going through the drive-thru at BK (I was desperate, had just finished a 14 hour shift and hadn't eaten in about 10). I get up to the intercom and the douche-nozzle on the other side start impersonating Squidward from Spongebob and keeps asking if I want to order a crabby patty. Stumbled into the Commissary and got a deli sandwich instead. Haven't had a reason to go back to BK since.

Everytime I see or hear the term "douche-nozzle", I laugh to myself and promise to use it in my everyday language, but I always forget to do so. Kudos to you, my good man. This gem of a term should be used more often.

DWWSWWD
11-04-2013, 03:04 PM
When I first got here, I was going to school in the evening and had some time to kill between work and school. Rolled over to the BX and Anthony's. When I was in Guam in the early 90's, it was pretty good. That one was replaced with Dominoes when I was there recently. Anywho, I ordered a slice and the guy said, "You don't want that." Ummm, OK. Thanks? Everything in the food court closes at 1700'ish and apparently they don't make new stuff since lunch. I went to Taco Bell. Hard to jack that up.

ttribe
11-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Our base could use a 24/7 Waffle House. On a side note. They have Food trucks selling the gourmet dishes come from off base that set up in front of the BX. The prices are kind of high. I'm sure that Uncle AAFEs has to get his cut.

CYBERFX1024
11-04-2013, 05:36 PM
There was a pretty good chain on Camp Lejeune in 2000 called Andy's (local burger chain with good cheesesteak). I don't know if they are still on base (they are still in business in town), they were pretty good.

Dude, Andy's is never going anyway on Lejeune. It was packed there every single day during the week when I was last there in 2007. That restaurant was the one that they sent new hires too to learn as well. I used to love to order their cheesesteak too. They are primarily a NC foodchain though, that sucks for real. When I was home on leave in Greensboro I saw that they opened up a Andy's 10mins from my house. So I had to eat there for old times sake.

Stalwart
11-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Dude, Andy's is never going anyway on Lejeune. It was packed there every single day during the week when I was last there in 2007. That restaurant was the one that they sent new hires too to learn as well. I used to love to order their cheesesteak too. They are primarily a NC foodchain though, that sucks for real. When I was home on leave in Greensboro I saw that they opened up a Andy's 10mins from my house. So I had to eat there for old times sake.

I don't know if they have branched out to Army & Air Force sites in NC, but Andy's is definately worth the time (was just down in New Bern a couple of weekends ago and we saw one -- instant pit stop.)

OtisRNeedleman
11-04-2013, 08:00 PM
I'm surprised RH has lasted this long. So nice to see Subways on many bases. Now it's time for another successful chain to kill off Anthony's. Over my career I was always convinced that the lack of competition is the #1 reason most of the nasty government restaurants have lasted as long as they have.

Papa John's Pizza is at the exchange at the Presidio of Monterey. Good pizza.

raider8169
11-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Papa John's Pizza is at the exchange at the Presidio of Monterey. Good pizza.

Vandenberg was talking about getting a Papa John's on base, I heard talks broke down because AAFES wanted to control their hours and they wanted them to set up in the BX. Last I heard they wanted their own building and hours.

poindexter
11-04-2013, 11:47 PM
I've sworn off Anthony's Pizza since the last time I ate it, about 10 minutes later, my stomach started making a sound that was best described as "a washing machine full of chocolate pudding".

With as much "Healthy Living" rhetoric that AF has been spewing, I'm mildly surprised that they haven't started weeding out the grease-pits like BK.

Years ago at Minot, I think the NAF eating places were worse than the AAFES places. Roughrider's Pizza was essentially greasey cardboard with processed artificial cheese food and watered down tomato sauce. I once made the mistake of trying what they called a "calzone" (note: it wasn't a "calzone"). It was a stack of artificial pepperoni topped with yellow cheese ("WTF is this?" I exclaimed) inside an undercooked ball of dough. I would eat nothing but Anthony's for a week before I eat at Roughriders again. They used to have a Sub-Shop near the ball fields that was half-decent, but they axed that place (of course).

I used to go to the Base Advisory Council meetings there, and every month, people would ask about getting new or better food places. It got to the point where it must have been embarressing for the AAFES and NAF reps.

RoughRiders just reopened and the calzone is gross and way overpriced. The best thing about the BX is Blue Elephant and it's a trailer outside and sadly today was it's last day on base.

Airborne
11-05-2013, 01:53 AM
You are gross about the Eastern European chick.

I wonder if we are discussing the same guy at Popeye's. This "gentleman" is middle-aged, light-skinned, a bit portly. He has this constant look of mild surprise on his face.

NYPD and Roadhouse are the worst. Ever. In history. You can pay $6 for a shitty slice of pizza and a drink, or you can spend $5 and bake yourself a whole delicious DiGiorno pizza.

I will say that the few times I have eaten from Charley's in Lakenheath, it's always hit the spot. Good stuff.

We are absolutely talking about the same guy at popeyes. Charley's is decent but only good because it's in the UK and there is not many options especially at lunch hour. If you go right around 12 you will be waiting for 30m for a sandwich and the grill will be filthy. The eateries definitely take advantage of the COLA. $7 for a number one at BK? Give me a break. I think the best deal is the Lak Commissary sandwiches but their line is also long and hard to justify if you work at mildenhall.

oldgrndr@
11-05-2013, 03:25 AM
I think the best deal is the Lak Commissary sandwiches but their line is also long and hard to justify if you work at mildenhall. When I was there the RAFL Commissary took sandwich orders by fax. Get it in by 1000 ready by 1130 (might of been 1200...). And 2 lines, 1 for people ordering it then and there and 1 for faxed. The RAFM Commissary usually had ready made sandwiches. And yes they were the best deal for lunch although the Dragon House right off the central circle in Mildenhall was some good eats.

jerseyfla
11-11-2013, 04:06 PM
Many years ago, before I got here, Cape Canaveral had a Chick-Fil-A truck that would come up to the base with a cooler full of chicken sandwiches and sell them. All they had was the original chicken sandwich and they would sell out every day. Even though you couldn't get the fries, or even a drink with the sandwich they still threatened the BK, Robin Hood and whatever shitty place was here at the time. They all started loosing business until AAFES got Chick-Fil-A banned.

Now all they have is a BK that sells room temperature burgers and a Subway that has a longer wait time than a regular lunch break.

I remember that when I was at Patrick. They used to have a mom and pop trailer that parked in front of the BX during the winter and spring months for two years on Patrick that served fresh Chicken Fajitas and Butterfly Fries. I used to frequent there weekly, and the lines were long! Next thing you know they got kicked off base because Taco Bell and Charley's bitched and complained about them cutting into their profits. The family that ran it was devastated.

Where I'm at now at Keesler they only have the basic places: Charley's, Taco Bell, Anthony's, Subway, Manchu Wok, Starbucks, and Baskin Robbins. The Baskin Robbins didn't have soft ice cream because their machine was broke for a year and then their freezer went and there was no hard ice cream for a year after that. I wish it became a Dunkin Donuts because I can't stand Starbucks coffee and their prices. The Manchu Wok doesn't make much money so I heard they are going to try and turn it into Krystal which is the South's crappy imitation of White Castle.

garhkal
11-11-2013, 06:56 PM

I have seen several places (inc the Columbus downtown con center's food court) with Charley's.. Not yet seen any anthony's though.

Our base could use a 24/7 Waffle House. On a side note. They have Food trucks selling the gourmet dishes come from off base that set up in front of the BX. The prices are kind of high. I'm sure that Uncle AAFEs has to get his cut.

I would love a base to have a waffle house, max and ermas, Shoneys or denny's on it..

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-11-2013, 07:16 PM
The base I work on is about to open a Denny's Express in the BX food court. I never knew there was such a restaurant.

TREYSLEDGE
11-12-2013, 02:16 PM
You all have it pretty good. I'm at a small location that is not on an American base and all we have is the circa 1980s/1990s AAFES snack bar. A small American station nearby has an Anthony's and Robin Hood sharing the same small kitchen, but the locals don't do it quite right. I guess the good thing is I've lost some weight not eating too much fast food.

Stalwart
11-12-2013, 02:21 PM
The base I work on is about to open a Denny's Express in the BX food court. I never knew there was such a restaurant.

Norfolk Naval Station's NEX has an IHOP express, a much smaller version of the menu. Wasn't bad, wasn't great. Probably the same idea.

BOSS302
11-12-2013, 02:29 PM
You all have it pretty good. I'm at a small location that is not on an American base and all we have is the circa 1980s/1990s AAFES snack bar. A small American station nearby has an Anthony's and Robin Hood sharing the same small kitchen, but the locals don't do it quite right. I guess the good thing is I've lost some weight not eating too much fast food.

I pack my lunch as often as I can. Even if I forget or don't have the time, I'd rather eat tuna & bread from the commissary than AAFES' lunch stupidity. Them and non-appropriated funds restaurants on base simply don't give a damn; many military personnel are probably the most docile, undemanding, and easy-to-fleece customers out there on base. By easy to fleece, I mean overseas these places take advantage of the COLA and raise their prices.

A simple Whopper value meal at the BK on Lakenheath will set you back almost $8. Bullshit. But everyday I drive by, the line is wrapped around the building.

garhkal
11-12-2013, 06:32 PM
I pack my lunch as often as I can. Even if I forget or don't have the time, I'd rather eat tuna & bread from the commissary than AAFES' lunch stupidity. Them and non-appropriated funds restaurants on base simply don't give a damn; many military personnel are probably the most docile, undemanding, and easy-to-fleece customers out there on base. By easy to fleece, I mean overseas these places take advantage of the COLA and raise their prices.

A simple Whopper value meal at the BK on Lakenheath will set you back almost $8. Bullshit. But everyday I drive by, the line is wrapped around the building.

Its not just AAFEEs but also rent on the local economies set up to where they are designed to fleece the military personnel.

BOSS302
11-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Its not just AAFEEs but also rent on the local economies set up to where they are designed to fleece the military personnel.

Right but you can't exactly "shop around" or build your own house to combat local rent prices. The only thing you can do in that instance is move farther away from the base and rent from an agent who isn't familiar with the military. At least with food and COLA, you can pack your own lunch.

garhkal
11-13-2013, 04:47 AM
True.. Or like i did, shopped on the local economy for cheaper deals for grub.

BOSS302
11-13-2013, 04:59 AM
True.. Or like i did, shopped on the local economy for cheaper deals for grub.

And people wonder where their money goes...

garhkal
11-13-2013, 07:08 PM
And people wonder where their money goes...

Lets see. 1 pound 20 pence (equated at the time to a buck 90) for a large pot noodle (a lot more nutritious than a raman cup o noodles), vice a 3.45 pack of 2 slices of bread, some meat, some cheese and some vegs in one of the premade sandwiches the store sold..

giggawatt
02-02-2014, 05:44 AM
Ramstein's BK had horrible drive through service but Vogelweh? OMG! Did that place suck huge donkey dick! If you went to the Vogelweh drive thru at either BK or Popeyes, you'd better not be in a hurry because it would take a minimum of 15 minutes. The BKs outside of Ramstein and Bitburg were actually really good. They had an pretty good menu however you did pay Euros.

What I miss a lot about Ramstein is the many choices you had to eat on your lunch hour. You could just pop over to Ramstein village and hit up Seoul or the little Gyro place or where Presswell's fish and chips used to be. Or you could pop over to Vogelweh and grab some Mexican food at the Cantina or Hacienda or Doner kebab either in Vogelweh or Landstuhl. So many places to eat.

You can't exactly pop off base in the RAFL area. You're pretty much limited to on base eating establishments which is why I almost always pack my lunch. You can't really go over to RAFM for lunch either because by the time you just get through the front gate and travel the 2 miles or whatever at 15-30 mph, you have to get back to work. Man, RAFM has the worst gate. I miss the old gate that used to be by Nick's Diner. But I digress.