PDA

View Full Version : GOP 'extremist movement' prompts NC candidate to switch to Democrat

Rusty Jones
11-02-2013, 02:52 PM
A Republican congressional candidate is renouncing his party and switching his affiliation to Democrat.

Jason Thigpen, who is challenging Republican U.S. Rep. Walter Jones in the 3rd Congressional District, wrote a blistering assessment of his former party, saying his shift was precipitated by the tea party push for a government shutdown.

“I simply cannot stand with a party where its most extreme element promote hate and division amongst people,” Thigpen said in a statement posted to his campaign website Thursday. “Nothing about my platform has, nor will it change. The government shutdown was simply the straw that broke the camels back. I guess being an American just isn’t good enough anymore and I refuse to be part of an extremist movement in the GOP that only appears to thrive on fear and hate mongering of anyone and everyone who doesn’t walk their line.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/10/31/3329326/gop-extremist-movement-prompts.html#storylink=cpy

Rusty Jones
11-02-2013, 03:00 PM
So here's my take - many liberal news sites are announcing this as a victory.

Though, I'm not sure that it is. For two reasons, both based on the fact that... he's not the first in recent times. It looks like a trend may start to pick up.

First reason why this may not be good, is because the GOP actually needs guys like Jason Thigpen to stick around. The GOP wants to talk its pre-Southern Strategy achievements in social equality - but it doesn't want to BE the same party that it was before the Southern Strategy, do they? People like Jason Thigpen, if they stuck around, could make that happen.

Second reason... what if these former Republicans are still right of the center, but simply left because they're simply fed up with those who are further to the right than they are? Could we see conservatives taking over the Democratic party... effectively bringing it back to its pre-FDR days?

Bunch
11-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Second reason... what if these former Republicans are still right of the center, but simply left because they're simply fed up with those who are further to the right than they are? Could we see conservatives taking over the Democratic party... effectively bringing it back to its pre-FDR days?

The liberal and progressives wings in the Democratic party are so strong that any conservative jumping in the ship will just have to fall in line with our agenda regarding social issues. I personally believe it will be foolish to close the door on any conservatives that try to make the jump, specially if they make this type of statements against the GOP and Tea Party. And to be honest I kind of welcome a bit more of fiscally sound minds in the party.

TJMAC77SP
11-02-2013, 06:11 PM
While I will attempt to take the defection at face value (as I agree with much of what he said)....the cynic in me sees that he had a very hard road ahead in the primaries to unseat a GOP congressman in office since 1995. Add to that Jones is the first GOP holder of that district since 1871 it might be a safer bet to run as a Dem. As an incumbent Jones faces the easier battle, particularly within his own party.