PDA

View Full Version : DSD Program

DoubleD22
10-29-2013, 12:54 PM
Questions for any and all,

This is a quote from the new DSD guidance:

"NOTE 2: Airmen who have previously served in a DSD may be nominated for another after returning to their core AFSC a minimum of four years. (Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis.)"

My question is, can anyone who deals with the DSD program explain what "Exceptions" they are looking for? This leaves it open for anyone who is currently in a DSD slot to get accepted into another DSD concurrently.

Any help would be appreciated!

Mjölnir
10-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Moved into the Air Force Forum.

DWWSWWD
10-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Questions for any and all,

This is a quote from the new DSD guidance:

"NOTE 2: Airmen who have previously served in a DSD may be nominated for another after returning to their core AFSC a minimum of four years. (Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis.)"

My question is, can anyone who deals with the DSD program explain what "Exceptions" they are looking for? This leaves it open for anyone who is currently in a DSD slot to get accepted into another DSD concurrently.

Any help would be appreciated!Some of us are asking that they take a look at this. I think they'll tweak it a bit. I don't think someone should be precluded from being a First Sergeant because they were in some special duty a couple of years ago. I think that will be one exception. Aside from that, I might see it being a local hire thing to save some cash. The thing is kind of jacked right now but good folks are working on it. We'll see.

20+Years
10-29-2013, 01:46 PM
The "exception" would probably be an AFSC that does not need the member to return due to manning. The DSD is an effort to get all AFSCs to equitably contribute bodies. Some never want to release, while overmanned ones commonly release. One thing the DSD is trying to continue is the effort to stop Career DSDers. I have watched someone go from FTAC NCOIC, to Career Advisor to ALS Commandant. That is a minimum of 8 years out of the career field at the TSgt/MSgt level (although a superior performer, board scores for SMSgt plummeted).

One case that I think may pop up is Postal. In every add they refer to previous experience being a plus. I am sure it deals with cost/length of training.

And as always, "Air Force needs come first".

SomeRandomGuy
10-29-2013, 01:55 PM
The "exception" would probably be an AFSC that does not need the member to return due to manning. The DSD is an effort to get all AFSCs to equitably contribute bodies. Some never want to release, while overmanned ones commonly release. One thing the DSD is trying to continue is the effort to stop Career DSDers. I have watched someone go from FTAC NCOIC, to Career Advisor to ALS Commandant. That is a minimum of 8 years out of the career field at the TSgt/MSgt level (although a superior performer, board scores for SMSgt plummeted).

One case that I think may pop up is Postal. In every add they refer to previous experience being a plus. I am sure it deals with cost/length of training.

And as always, "Air Force needs come first".

The problem with these guys though is that when they get back to the career field after 8 years they are just about useless because so much has changed. I worked with a guy spent 8 years out of the career field (I think he MTL, then Recruiter). When he came back to the career field he was basically an incompetent MSgt. Most of our SrA knew more than he did. I think the answer is either to limit special duties to 4 years or less or completely release the person and make them pick a new AFSC if they stay away longer than 4 years.

sandsjames
10-29-2013, 02:32 PM
When he came back to the career field he was basically an incompetent MSgt.

No need for the redundancy.

DoubleD22
10-29-2013, 02:42 PM
I appreciate all of the posts...

The reason I ask is, I'm currently in a "T" prefix, not in my "Core" AFSC like the guidance states but, I'm actually within a shred of it. So I'm hoping that won't affect me becoming a First Sergeant. I've already been nominated by my Commander but, we are (like so many) awaiting guidance on whether individuals like myself, who have not left the career field, can be selected for a DSD under the "Exception".

Capt Alfredo
10-29-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm feeling like Bob Dorr here. No idea what DSD means other than the Defence Signals Directorate (hello, Otis).

efmbman
10-29-2013, 11:10 PM
I'm feeling like Bob Dorr here. No idea what DSD means other than the Defence Signals Directorate (hello, Otis).

There were references to recruiting and MTI... so I guessed "Detailed Special Duty". Did I win?

Chief_KO
10-29-2013, 11:53 PM
DSD: Developmental Special Duty...

The incorrect solution, or the latest example of why the answers to problems are rarely (if ever) downward directed from the Pentagon

20+Years
11-01-2013, 12:44 PM
I appreciate all of the posts...

The reason I ask is, I'm currently in a "T" prefix, not in my "Core" AFSC like the guidance states but, I'm actually within a shred of it. So I'm hoping that won't affect me becoming a First Sergeant. I've already been nominated by my Commander but, we are (like so many) awaiting guidance on whether individuals like myself, who have not left the career field, can be selected for a DSD under the "Exception".

The honest answer is it will depend on the manning of your shredout, and possibly your location. If your career field has to force retrain people on a yearly basis to the shredout, I would see them fighting tooth and nail to stop it.

I learned over the years one of the best things you can do is to know your functional manager, then they have to put a name to the number.

imported_DannyJ
11-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Unfortunetly, my current AFSC is over 30% EOFY authorized for TSgts. That means round abouts 250 folks. I have a feeling that quite a few of those are going to be picked up for DSDs and I'd be willing to bet not many get SDs they want.

For those that are curious, Common Operating Pictures A-Z : A1 - Manpower & Personnel : A1P - Active Duty Force Management : Enlisted Manning by MAJCOM and Base and Grade : Enlisted Manning by MAJCOM and Base and Grade.