PDA

View Full Version : Eliminate the CFC Program

Kalbo607
10-25-2013, 02:21 PM
I think the CFC program is a legacy program that should be discontinued. Now that people can easily donate any time they want and even sent up donations on MyPay why do we still need to print off poster, pamplets, and books. I donate to a few organizations and have never done it via the CFC program.

SomeRandomGuy
10-25-2013, 04:00 PM
I think the CFC program is a legacy program that should be discontinued. Now that people can easily donate any time they want and even sent up donations on MyPay why do we still need to print off poster, pamplets, and books. I donate to a few organizations and have never done it via the CFC program.

You might be on to something here. A few years ago a SrA from Finance submitted an IDEA to eliminate savings bond allotments. He chased down the numbers and it turned out that DFAS was spending over $1 million oper year just for safekeeping of the bonds. That didn't even factor in the manpwoer wasted at finance processing the bonds. It was also pointed out that you can buy bonds directly from treasury.gov so our efforts were a duplication. I would love for somebody to quantify the amount spent on CFC every year. I think it is a huge waste epsecially when a lot of the donations are going to orgs that you can donate to yourself without going through CFC. The only problem is we would have to find another EPR bullet to replace "Spearheaded Squadron CFC campaign-raised 110% of unit's goal"

Silverback
10-26-2013, 02:31 AM
You might be on to something here. A few years ago a SrA from Finance submitted an IDEA to eliminate savings bond allotments. He chased down the numbers and it turned out that DFAS was spending over $1 million oper year just for safekeeping of the bonds. That didn't even factor in the manpwoer wasted at finance processing the bonds. It was also pointed out that you can buy bonds directly from treasury.gov so our efforts were a duplication. I would love for somebody to quantify the amount spent on CFC every year. I think it is a huge waste epsecially when a lot of the donations are going to orgs that you can donate to yourself without going through CFC. The only problem is we would have to find another EPR bullet to replace "Spearheaded Squadron CFC campaign-raised 110% of unit's goal"

Actually in the new AFI 36-2406. You can't even use a CFC bullet.

1.12.5.4. Meeting Financial Goals for Combined Federal Campaign. Title 5, Code of
Federal Regulations, Part 950, Solicitation of Federal Civilian and Uniformed Service
Personnel for Contributions to Private Voluntary Organizations, Section 108 Preventing
coercive activity, subparagraph (g) which prohibits “Using as a factor in a supervisor’s
performance appraisal the results of the solicitation in the supervisor’s unit or
organization.

But you are right. It is very easy to donate on your own. I don't see a need for the CFC anymore either.