PDA

View Full Version : Awe poor diddums. School gets beat 91-0 and parent says its bullying!

garhkal
10-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Well it was expected to happen when the parents who were kids during the "everyone gets an award, no one loses" generation has their own kids now in school.

http://news.yahoo.com/kid-high-school-football-team-loses-91-0-063403473.html

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/10/23/bullying-charge-filed-against-football-coaches-for-scoring-too-much-85754

Bunch
10-23-2013, 08:51 PM
Well it was expected to happen when the parents who were kids during the "everyone gets an award, no one loses" generation has their own kids now in school.

http://news.yahoo.com/kid-high-school-football-team-loses-91-0-063403473.html

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/10/23/bullying-charge-filed-against-football-coaches-for-scoring-too-much-85754

1. Is HS football.

2. If you don't want to lose that way, field a better team.

3. If you don't like the way you are losing, tell the coach to forfeit the game after a 40pt margin.

efmbman
10-23-2013, 09:07 PM
1. Is HS football.

2. If you don't want to lose that way, field a better team.

3. If you don't like the way you are losing, tell the coach to forfeit the game after a 40pt margin.

These lessons can be applied in many other situations. Interesting...

On the whole I agree. It is always the responsibility of the defense to prevent the opposing offense from scoring. Valuable lessons all around.

Pullinteeth
10-24-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm sorry but don't they have a mercy rule? Nevermind...it is TX... What did they expect? They were winless, the other team was undefeated (closest game was 56-14)... It was the last team of the season so the coach let all the scrubs that hadn't scored yet in the season get a TD....

ttribe
10-24-2013, 01:14 PM
I watched my HS team lose 60 something to 0 in a Missouri state championship game years ago. It was a full on butt whipping. They didn't have a mercy rule, but they let the clock run with no stoppage in the 4th Q. I think that is about all the officials can do.

Several years later our boys got back to the championship and won. I guess all of the good kids on the other team graduated and diminished that schools talent.

sandsjames
10-24-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry but don't they have a mercy rule? Nevermind...it is TX... What did they expect? They were winless, the other team was undefeated (closest game was 56-14)... It was the last team of the season so the coach let all the scrubs that hadn't scored yet in the season get a TD....

Seriously? A mercy rule in football? LOL...This same thing happens in College. Can you imagine if Arkansas bitched that Alabama was a bunch of bullies after last week. Or any team who's played Baylor or Oregon this year? It's laughable.

Kicker47
10-24-2013, 01:46 PM
I felt sorry for the winning coach...he said he was trying to do everything possible to not run the score up, playing his second and third stringers, running the ball instead of passing, etc. I mean, you can't just punt on 1st down or take a knee every play...what else can you do? I think he handled it the right way.

On a side note: Why is this even in the news?

SomeRandomGuy
10-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I felt sorry for the winning coach...he said he was trying to do everything possible to not run the score up, playing his second and third stringers, running the ball instead of passing, etc. I mean, you can't just punt on 1st down or take a knee every play...what else can you do? I think he handled it the right way.

On a side note: Why is this even in the news?

I don't really blame the coach I would blame the athletic director. Typically when you are creating your schedule you should evaluate how your team matches up against the other team. This prevents you from being on either end of a game like this. The team that scored 91 scheduling this team is like Mike Tyson signing up for a fight against Muhammed Ali except its not in his prime Muhammed Ali it is the current Muhammed Ali who has Parkinsons.

Not this one....

This one.....

Stalwart
10-24-2013, 01:57 PM
The (losing team) could have forfiet at some point.

Unless the winning team was going to act like you see teams do in those inspirational YouTube videos when a team puts in a special needs child, there wasn't much left for the winning team to do to slow down.

Losing builds character too, and the coaches and parents of the losing team could use this as a way to teach a lesson to thier kids about maintaining dignity, giving it your all in the face of overwhelming odds or in a no-win situation. It looks like a small group actually think this was 'bullying', but who knows.

SomeRandomGuy
10-24-2013, 02:01 PM
The (losing team) could have forfiet at some point.

Unless the winning team was going to act like you see teams do in those inspirational YouTube videos when a team puts in a special needs child, there wasn't much left for the winning team to do to slow down.

Losing builds character too, and the coaches and parents of the losing team could use this as a way to teach a lesson to thier kids about maintaining dignity, giving it your all in the face of overwhelming odds or in a no-win situation. It looks like a small group actually think this was 'bullying', but who knows.

They could use it as a teaching experience. Or they could be like Larry Fitzgerald's dad who transferred him to a different school after a 75-6 defeat.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/09/larry-fitzgeralds-father-says-pathetic-cardinals-have-quit/

AJBIGJ
10-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Is it wrong that I find this entire debacle hilarious?

20+Years
10-24-2013, 02:08 PM
It took some serious balls for that losing team to stay on the field. I know baseball had a mercy rule when I was a kid. I think it was a 15 run lead = game over. If I was the coach, I would have called the game at 50pts or so. At that point, you can't win, and no use of letting a player get hurt.

Stalwart
10-24-2013, 02:15 PM
It took some serious balls for that losing team to stay on the field.

Agreed. It would seem the kids handled the defeat better than some of the parents.

sandsjames
10-24-2013, 02:34 PM
It took some serious balls for that losing team to stay on the field. I know baseball had a mercy rule when I was a kid. I think it was a 15 run lead = game over. If I was the coach, I would have called the game at 50pts or so. At that point, you can't win, and no use of letting a player get hurt.

????...no use except getting the kids more experience, letting them play. What message are you sending the kids if you give up? Sometimes you need to take an asswhoopin'. If my child was on a team who's coach gave up because they got killed my kid would no longer be on that team.

sandsjames
10-24-2013, 02:34 PM
????...no use except getting the kids more experience, letting them play. What message are you sending the kids if you give up? Sometimes you need to take an asswhoopin'. If my child was on a team who's coach gave up because they got killed my kid would no longer be on that team.

Oh, and I'd rather lose 91-0 than 21-20.

Rainmaker
10-24-2013, 03:25 PM
If you can't accept losing, you can't win. ~ Vince Lombardi

Rainmaker is currently posting on a restricted basis due to his "bullying".
When the time is appropriate he wil make comments realtive to this matter.

20+Years
10-24-2013, 03:35 PM

I don't completely disagree with you. I was shooting from the hip on my suggestion, although I don't think it sends the message you suggest. Like I said, we had a mercy rule in baseball, and it got used. I believe it was a good thing. When one team is so dramatically better than another, you can debate that it is not even a competition. Thats why we seperate age groups, and we often do with ability (divisions).

The whole bully thing is crazy, beating a team 91-0 shouldn't even be bragged about. They were not even a challenge. All the kids knew it, on both sides of the field.

Greg
10-24-2013, 04:13 PM
I watched my HS team lose 60 something to 0 in a Missouri state championship game years ago. It was a full on butt whipping. They didn't have a mercy rule, but they let the clock run with no stoppage in the 4th Q. I think that is about all the officials can do.

Several years later our boys got back to the championship and won. I guess all of the good kids on the other team graduated and diminished that schools talent.

My HS football team sucked. Two wins in three years. Came back three years later, while on AD, they were conference champs, and made it into the second round of the play-offs.

retiredAFcivvy
10-24-2013, 04:22 PM
I saw the mercy rule applied to summer sports leagues, not sure if it ever applied to high school sports. I believe that all high school sports are subject so some sort of oversight at the state level. They would be the ones to implement such a policy. I believe this made national attention because of the accusation of bullying. From my perspective the coach handled it as well as he could. It might be a different story if he had kept the 1st string in most of the game. Also, I think the losing coach would have taken a lot more criticism for throwing in the towel.

Greg
10-24-2013, 04:23 PM
I don't really blame the coach I would blame the athletic director. Typically when you are creating your schedule you should evaluate how your team matches up against the other team. This prevents you from being on either end of a game like this. The team that scored 91 scheduling this team is like Mike Tyson signing up for a fight against Muhammed Ali except its not in his prime Muhammed Ali it is the current Muhammed Ali who has Parkinsons.

The only teams able to dictate a schedule are the revenue generating D-I private schools.

Most other schools, especially D-IV, D-V, and D-VI have their schedules arranged for them.

Rainmaker
10-24-2013, 04:45 PM
My HS football team sucked. Two wins in three years. Came back three years later, while on AD, they were conference champs, and made it into the second round of the play-offs.

sounds like the coach should've got rid of you sooner!

Depend on the situation. sound like the coach did everything he could to keep the score down. 90-0 is hard to do that a serious beatdown.

Rainmaker played for a HS powerhouse. Sometimes we'd have the JV kids in at Half time and still put up a 50 spot. When you got your bench in and running dive plays what's a coach sposed to do? tell his kids not to play?

Here in FLA (where HS recruiting is rampant) teams routinely get beat by 60+ . they go to a running clock anytime a team is up by 35 in the second half. the losing coach can decline it. sometimes as a matter of pride they decline. but, neither team benefits much from a bloodletting like that.

disclaimer: Rainmaker is currently posting on a restricted basis due to his "bullying".
When the time is appropriate he will answer your questions/comments and criticisim realtive to this matter.

SomeRandomGuy
10-24-2013, 04:50 PM
The only teams able to dictate a schedule are the revenue generating D-I private schools.

Most other schools, especially D-IV, D-V, and D-VI have their schedules arranged for them.

This is high school football not college. If I am not mistaken high school teams normally pick at least a few of their games. They normally play every team in their conference (if they belong to one) then they pick other opponents to fill out the schedule. The agreement is usually between athletic directors (though sometimes the coach does both jobs). Normally, how it works is that teams will agree to play a home/home. My junior year in basketball we got stuck with like 16 away games and 4 home games because our previous atheltic director screwed us. The next year we played like 16 home games 4 away against the same teams.

Measure Man
10-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Certainly NOT bullying...seems the winning coach did all he could to avoid running up the score.

This is a public school, I gather...so as long as they got their players and coach fair and square (kids live in the district)...then it is what it is.

I recall a private school in NJ a few years ago that built a super-duper powerhouse football team that some teams on their schedule didn't bother to show up and forfeited the games. I think that was more out of safety concerns...as a private school, these guys could recruit the best of the best from around the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CONN) and they were bigger faster stronger than all their opponents combined.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/jersey-football-team-forfeits-league-game-against-highly-151000437.html

Same thing happened in Mass.

http://sports.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Rhode-Island-school-pulls-out-of-game-citing-siz?urn=highschool-274799

I don't think I'd want my kid to play that team coming from a regular ol' public school working-Joe team...what's the point? I support the school's decision to withdraw from those games.

Yeah, losing can build character, but not always

Rainmaker
10-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Certainly NOT bullying...seems the winning coach did all he could to avoid running up the score.

This is a public school, I gather...so as long as they got their players and coach fair and square (kids live in the district)...then it is what it is.

I recall a private school in NJ a few years ago that built a super-duper powerhouse football team that some teams on their schedule didn't bother to show up and forfeited the games. I think that was more out of safety concerns...as a private school, these guys could recruit the best of the best from around the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CONN) and they were bigger faster stronger than all their opponents combined.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/jersey-football-team-forfeits-league-game-against-highly-151000437.html

Same thing happened in Mass.

http://sports.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Rhode-Island-school-pulls-out-of-game-citing-siz?urn=highschool-274799

I don't think I'd want my kid to play that team coming from a regular ol' public school working-Joe team...what's the point? I support the school's decision to withdraw from those games.

Yeah, losing can build character, but not always

Troof! There's a lotta talk about adversity building character. But, overcoming adversity is what actually builds character. just losing for the experience is stupid. Winning and losing with dignity and class used to be called sportsmanship. too often today it's about humilating your oppenent when you win or filing a formal Bullying complaint with the school district when you don't. I can't beleive the district even entertained this BS. even the great state of Texas has caved in to the anti-bullying hysteria. Bear Bryant and the Junction boys must be rolling over in their graves.

disclaimer: Rainmaker is currently posting on a restricted basis due to his "bullying".
When the time is appropriate he will answer your questions/comments and criticisim realtive to this matter.

Rusty Jones
10-24-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah... maybe there needs to be a mercy rule. Not for "mercy" purposes. Why subject players to possible further injury by continuing a game they can't win? Whatever is left intact by the time it's realized that they can't win, needs to be saved for the next game.

But then again... this kinda reminds of the Super Bowl back in 1990, when the Broncos got ass raped by the 49ers. I remember it being a fucking ridiculous score, and it would have sucked if there was a mercy rule.

I'm on the fence about that.

Measure Man
10-24-2013, 05:57 PM
High School in Sacramento....O-line front 5 weigh in at 1,560 lbs...AVERAGES 315 lbs....bigger than UCLA, USC, Stanford...and only giving away a couple pounds to the 49ers and Raiders:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/prep-prep-rally/california-high-school-team-offensive-line-rivals-size-193725656.html

Measure Man
10-24-2013, 06:00 PM
I can't beleive the district even entertained this BS.

The didn't for long:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high-school/high-school-football-coach-cleared-bullying-losing-squad-article-1.1495421

Measure Man
10-24-2013, 06:01 PM
I can't beleive the district even entertained this BS.

They didn't for long:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/high-school/high-school-football-coach-cleared-bullying-losing-squad-article-1.1495421

garhkal
10-24-2013, 07:59 PM

The first news site i saw this story mentioned on does say texas has a "Mercy" rule in place for 6 a side football games, but not 11 a side.
But to me mercy rules have no place outside of elementary school.. BY the time you get to junior high and high, your skin should be tough enough.

Exactly. All it teaches having mercy rules, is that when the going gets tough, there are going to be rules to moddy coddle those who are doing bad.

I don't completely disagree with you. I was shooting from the hip on my suggestion, although I don't think it sends the message you suggest. Like I said, we had a mercy rule in baseball, and it got used. I believe it was a good thing. When one team is so dramatically better than another, you can debate that it is not even a competition. Thats why we seperate age groups, and we often do with ability (divisions).

The whole bully thing is crazy, beating a team 91-0 shouldn't even be bragged about. They were not even a challenge. All the kids knew it, on both sides of the field.

I can maybe see having a mercy rule for elementary/kindergarden type age area, but this was a High school game.

Gonzo432
10-25-2013, 12:27 AM
I coached Little League for a long time. You don't tell the kids not to play, you do tell them not to be as aggressive on passed balls and things like that. Maybe the kid who can't pitch (who asks every game if he can pitch) gets a chance to pitch.