PDA

View Full Version : 21 AF/ANG members facing crimminal charges

Pullinteeth
10-21-2013, 05:12 PM
How did this not leak out? They were all issued summonses last week...

From AZ Family .com http://www.azfamily.com/outbound-feeds/yahoo-news/Military-personnel-face-Arizona-criminal-charges-228620701.html

Pullinteeth
10-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Nevermind....first article was wrong... They are all ANG (8 Officers/13 Enlisted) ....BAH fraud.

ABC news story; http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/military-personnel-face-arizona-criminal-charges-20636398

SomeRandomGuy
10-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Nevermind....first article was wrong... They are all ANG (8 Officers/13 Enlisted) ....BAH fraud.

ABC news story; http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/military-personnel-face-arizona-criminal-charges-20636398

BAH fraud? People are always trying that one despite warnings from Finance that eventually they will get caught. My favorite was one time a guy provided me a very fake looking lease to support his rent claim on his voucher. A printed off a google earth picture of the address he provided (a vacant lot) and sent his voucher back to him asking if he wanted to make changes. I also let him know that he was getting ripped off since there were many campgrounds that would have charged a lot less for an empty space.

SomeRandomGuy
10-21-2013, 06:40 PM
BAH can be confusing. I once fought a case. Here's the details.
I was getting BAH with differential pay, becuase I was paying
child support in 2002. In 2005 I got remarried (Mil to Mil) and we had a kid.
I took the birth certificate in to finance. The two SSgt ladies started
asking me questions, what was my home of record, did I pay child
support. They went to talk with their boss, came back and said they would
start BAH for my wife with our son and my BAH with Diff would continue
becuase I still paid child support. I said okay and went to my boss and said
it doesn't sound right. I called DFAS and they said your local finance is the
expert, so they would know. So it stayed that way for a year and then I
had a friend in the same boat and told him what they told me. Well, he
called and said he went in and what I was doing was wrong, of course
by now those two SSgt's had PCS'ed. I went in and in fact they had been
wrong and they wanted to collect $3000 from me. Me being OCD and in the
right, I went to special actions and filed an appeal, with a statement of what
happened, letters from my wife and coworkers backing up what I told them
along with a letter from commander. Months went by then I got a letter from
a high place, can't remember which but something like secretary of treasurer
saying that as a TSgt I should have listened to my gut more and did something.
They did find enough fault to settle 50/50 blame, so I owed $1500. My first
shirt said that was probably the best I could have asked for.

Now, looking back maybe I could have got those SSgt's to give me a written statement,
but who does that. Also DFAS deferred to local, so who higher could I have gone to.
Lesson learned, when something sounds wrong, push to higher level and get everything in writing.

What you did actually used to be legal or at least allowed. I remember around 2008 we had to run a report and change BAH for several people in the exact situation you mentioned. We didn't make the change retroactive though. Not sure if that was the right thing to do but it was the fair thing to do. It still seemed kind of odd that you could actually lose money by getting married but that is the way it works. Mil-to-Mil couples get one BAH with dependant. People always complain about it but thats the rules. Also get lots of complaints from people who pay child support and get stationed OCONUS. If they are getting OHA they can't get BAH diff.

Pullinteeth
10-21-2013, 07:40 PM
With housing allowances cut off, some Germany-based Reservists cry foul

Stars and Stripes http://www.stripes.com/news/with-housing-allowances-cut-off-some-germany-based-reservists-cry-foul-1.248299

"the Army wanted its money back, all $95,000 of it"

U.S.-based Army personnel officials at Human Resources Command in Fort Knox, Ky., have reinterpreted the Joint Federal Travel Regulations vicinity rule governing housing allowances and now are asserting that a soldier lives in the same “vicinity” of his place of residence if that soldier is deployed anywhere in the country he or she resides. For example, if a Reserve soldier is living in Berlin, and is activated some 400 miles away in Kaiserslautern, that soldier’s workplace and residence would be deemed in the same vicinity. Under that reasoning, the same would apply for a Reserve soldier from Texas who is sent on orders for an unaccompanied tour to the Pentagon.

Just wait until they start enforcing this stateside.... Stationed in NC? Sent to TX for training, your wife and kids better get jobs because you are still in the "vicinity" since you are still in the same country....

technomage1
10-21-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't agree with retroactively changing the rules and then charging people, first off. Secondly, if the rule is reservists get BAH/OHA for their home when activated, which seems strange to me but is in the JFTR, then that's the rule. How does anyone reasonably expect someone to commute from k-town to Berlin every day? To say its the local area because it's in the same country is ridiculous.

This is nothing more than revenge for the IG complaint or gross incompetence.

ConfusedAirman
10-21-2013, 10:40 PM
AZ guardsmen were likely deployed/mobilized in-place. I saw the same thing in my unit in 2001 into 2002 when a lot of guardsmen were deployed/mobilized in-place for Noble Eagle.

Pullinteeth
10-22-2013, 12:52 PM
AZ guardsmen were likely deployed/mobilized in-place. I saw the same thing in my unit in 2001 into 2002 when a lot of guardsmen were deployed/mobilized in-place for Noble Eagle.

All they had to be was on orders.... They claimed they lived far enough away to qualify for BAH when apparently they didn't...

SomeRandomGuy
10-22-2013, 03:01 PM
All they had to be was on orders.... They claimed they lived far enough away to qualify for BAH when apparently they didn't...

It is actually quite common for people to try the same trick.

Reservist: I'm getting deployed for 6 months and I am moving my family to California while I am gone
Me: Really? How many times you think this has been tried?

Sadly, there are people who move their family while deployed and the family normally is eligible for BAH but because of scammers it makes it way harder to change your address. I testified at a courtmartial where a guy claimed to move his family. OSI went and got statements from the neighbors in the local area that the family never moved. It isn't hard to drive by the house and see if they still live there. How stupid do people think Finance is? (Actually don't answer that)

Pullinteeth
10-22-2013, 04:33 PM
It is actually quite common for people to try the same trick.

Reservist: I'm getting deployed for 6 months and I am moving my family to California while I am gone
Me: Really? How many times you think this has been tried?

Sadly, there are people who move their family while deployed and the family normally is eligible for BAH but because of scammers it makes it way harder to change your address. I testified at a courtmartial where a guy claimed to move his family. OSI went and got statements from the neighbors in the local area that the family never moved. It isn't hard to drive by the house and see if they still live there. How stupid do people think Finance is? (Actually don't answer that)

I'm not sure you are tracking...

Guardsman; "I live in Phoenix"

FSS updates address. Guardsman is now authorized billeting on UTAs and BAH when on orders in Tucson...

Investigators; "This guy lives in Casa Grande. He has been committing BAH fraud for years..."

They don't even have to go TDY to commit the fraud...

Pullinteeth
10-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Holy shitballs.... $1.4 Million involving a Col and Lt Col....both retired but still... To make it worse, they were already busted for this shyte back in 2009... Guess they figured no one would suspect they would try it again...

From this fine publication; http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20131022/NEWS02/310220008/Ariz-National-Guard-airmen-indicted-1-4M-expense-scam