PDA

View Full Version : Micro Air Vehicles (MAVs)

Absinthe Anecdote
10-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Get ready for the next big transition in the Air Force. This technology isn't that far off and I suspect that we already have working prototypes of these things.

If you have children, encourage them to study robotics and computer science because that is where all the action is going to be in the next twenty years.

http://youtu.be/z78mgfKprdg

Absinthe Anecdote
10-12-2013, 02:21 PM
This is a video from testing in a lab environment a while back and I'm sure we've moved well beyond this.

This robo-bee isn't much bigger than a quarter.

http://youtu.be/7PVkrZvq4Uk

Absinthe Anecdote
10-12-2013, 02:51 PM
This is what UMD came up with and they are way behind what the big defense contractors are doing. The robo-raven isn't capable of being used for military applications but the next couple of generations of these things will be.

http://youtu.be/t1_mPe8Y0V4

For surveillance alone MAVs are a game changer and once they perfect the art of weaponizing these things it really will be a revolution in military tactics and strategy.

RobotChicken
10-12-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm guessing their next step will be

http://youtu.be/Ls5834hbssM

:smoker2: "Well at least they can fight their way out of a box!!"

GoatDriver57
10-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Pulled down a movie the other night and it very well reinforces OPs opener, The fast-track robotics is moving. See the future in drones, "Oblivion". I know Tom Cruise isn't the best cowboy but the point is, this movie has a few nasty, nasty-a$$ drones and a very clear picture where the robotics programs are going in the hands of the military around the globe. The Air Force's edict driven by the all-mighty play-book, in which we are presently seeing daily actions from, wants to get the compassion out of the airplane, sooner the better. There is no ceiling to the intel capacity, versatility of these drones. The old adage goes, if you just bought it, its yesterday's news with drones and iPhones. Robots are not just planned to build Chevrolets for grandMa anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ItlBlcnqyU

Bunch
10-14-2013, 11:50 PM
Get ready for the next big transition in the Air Force. This technology isn't that far off and I suspect that we already have working prototypes of these things.

If you have children, encourage them to study robotics and computer science because that is where all the action is going to be in the next twenty years.

http://youtu.be/z78mgfKprdg

I think in 20-30 years robotic and/or CS will be common knowledge among the younger generation.

Stalwart
10-14-2013, 11:53 PM
I think in 20-30 years robotic and/or CS will be common knowledge among the younger generation.

Spot on. Think back 20 or 30 years and what did the majority of people know about the internet.

Bunch
10-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Spot on. Think back 20 or 30 years and what did the majority of people know about the internet.

I just compare what I know about technology and what my daughters (14,12) know about it and the gap difference is pretty outstanding and they just learn it from friends.

GoatDriver57
10-15-2013, 04:03 AM
Last week ordered a direcTV movie, "Oblivion" Disregarding the main actor in it, the movie shows very well the direction the drone robotics is going and that future is at our door steps of these things are getting more intell and nastier with each new revision. These beast's greatest advantage over the man piloted platforms, the compassion circuits are intentionally omitted.

There may be meaner examples of movie drones released, for me, this one sends the message very well. 'No survivors of any special ops, tell no tells'. "Hal! open the door", Hal?

Bunch
10-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Last week ordered a direcTV movie, "Oblivion" Disregarding the main actor in it, the movie shows very well the direction the drone robotics is going and that future is at our door steps of these things are getting more intell and nastier with each new revision. These beast's greatest advantage over the man piloted platforms, the compassion circuits are intentionally omitted.

There may be meaner examples of movie drones released, for me, this one sends the message very well. 'No survivors of any special ops, tell no tells'. "Hal! open the door", Hal?

Oh common just accept it!! You like Tom Cruise...

We all do... We just like to say we don't...

Absinthe Anecdote
10-15-2013, 05:01 AM
We have more raw computing power right now than we know what to do with. They only thing holding us back is the software but that is coming along.

Oblivion is a cool movie from a cinematography perspective and I think autonomous combat drones are an eventuality.

I think air superiority combat drones could be programmed to function autonomously beyond the capabilities of a human pilot in the near future. Policy will probably delay this because people will be afraid of them and start screaming that Skynet is here.

Frankly, I trust a machine more than I do some macho frat boy pilot. How many times have human pilots fucked up?

Also, when was the last time a drone got drunk and sexually assaulted someone? We need more drones because they don't fail PT tests or get DUIs either.

PS

They don't sing that dumb Righteous Brothers song to women in bars nor do they get involved in shirtless volleyball grudge matches on the beach either.

Bunch
10-15-2013, 05:15 AM
We have more raw computing power right now than we know what to do with. They only thing holding us back is the software but that is coming along.

Oblivion is a cool movie from a cinematography perspective and I think autonomous combat drones are an eventuality.

I think air superiority combat drones could be programmed to function autonomously beyond the capabilities of a human pilot in the near future. Policy will probably delay this because people will be afraid of them and start screaming that Skynet is here.

Frankly, I trust a machine more than I do some macho frat boy pilot. How many times have human pilots fucked up?

Also, when was the last time a drone got drunk and sexually assaulted someone? We need more drones because they don't fail PT tests or get DUIs either.

PS

They don't sing that dumb Righteous Brothers song to women in bars nor do they get involved in shirtless volleyball grudge matches on the beach either.

I think that AF leaders will drag their feet to move further in the direction of any kind of uav platforms. I mean it will mean the irrelevancy of the Fighter Mafia and their cushy after retirement MIC jobs.