PDA

View Full Version : No pay on the 15th???

Hoo-huh???
10-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Just got this in an e-mail:

Below and attached is the latest regarding military pay and
allowances. BL: H.R. 3210 Bill "Pay Our Military Act" was passed on 30 Sep
13 however there is no Treasury Warrant to allow payments. Below is the
current message on the DFAS website
http://www.dfas.mil/pressroom/govtshutdown.html along with attached emails
from SAF/FAP & USAFE/FM:

During the government shutdown, the Department of Defense will have no legal
authority to pay any personnel - military or civilian - for the days during
which the government is shut down. The shutdown will not affect payments to
retirees and annuitants as those funds come from a retirement trust fund.
Below is the effect the government shutdown will have on active duty
military, civilian personnel, retirees and annuitants, and DoD contractors.

Attention: We are aware the President has signed the "Pay Our Military
Act." We are awaiting further guidance from the Department of Defense to
ensure we accurately implement all elements of the Act. We will update you
with additional information as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

Military: Active, Reserve, and National Guard members will be paid on time
for pay entitlements earned September 30 or earlier. Military members
cannot be paid for duty performed after the expiration of the current CRA on
September 30. Once another CRA or an appropriations act is signed into law,
normal disbursement of military pay will resume.

Civilians: All civilian employees will be paid on their normal pay date for
all entitlements earned through September 30. After September 30, the
following rules apply:

* Excepted employees who perform duty during the shutdown will be
entitled to retroactive payments once another CRA or an appropriations act
is signed into law.
* For furloughed employees, Congress will have to provide authority
for retroactive payments to be made.
* Employees whose organizations have available resources such as
Defense Working Capital Fund, will be paid as normal until such time as cash
reserves are exhausted.
* NonAppropriated Fund (NAF) civilian employees: Your pay will be
processed and paid as normal.

Retirees: Military retirees and annuitants are not paid from Continuing
Resolution Act (CRA) appropriations, so those payments will continue as
scheduled.

Please share this with your Airmen and assist them through
this difficult period.

technomage1
10-07-2013, 10:21 AM
FML. is there anything those bozos can't screw up?

I'll be fine, I have savings, but this shutdown is ridiculous.

Monkey
10-07-2013, 10:47 AM
FML. is there anything those bozos can't screw up?

I'll be fine, I have savings, but this shutdown is ridiculous.

There are plenty of A1Cs who just graduated from Tech School with a spouse/kids who won't be fine. If this lasts that long, I would be interested to see how quickly it would take for the media to pick that one up.

This will not be a good thing for anyone who is up for reelection next year.

20+Years
10-07-2013, 12:40 PM
To the President and Congress: Thanks for playing political games with my pay. I hate you all.

sandsjames
10-07-2013, 12:53 PM
There are plenty of A1Cs who just graduated from Tech School with a spouse/kids who won't be fine. If this lasts that long, I would be interested to see how quickly it would take for the media to pick that one up.

This will not be a good thing for anyone who is up for reelection next year.

We should vote out ALL incumbants...on both sides.

sandsjames
10-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Heard sec Hagel could have put people back to work sooner, but wasted time going through
Lawyers to check stuff. Was their no contingency plans and pre lawyer checks...
Then again, with news, I don't know what to believe. Would be ironic if they passed
A pay the troops Bill, but troops didn't get paid, I thought dfas cutoff for 15, was the 6th.

I've heard 20 times over the past 20 years that the troops wouldn't get paid. I'll believe it when I see it.

RobotChicken
10-07-2013, 01:55 PM
If WW2 vets can crash a memorial, then Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, Somolia, etc vets can crash DFAS.
In the very least, I say we flash mob them with a dance containing sweet moves like the robot and bus stop.

http://www.northwestmilitary.com/news/army-west-blog/2013/05/Flash-mob-busts-out-at-Madigan-Army-Medical-Center/uploads/blogs/33449-banner-Madigan-Army-Medical-Center-National-Nurses-Week-flash-mob-gangnam-style-one.jpghttp://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4988944955081117&pid=15.1
http://usarmy.vo.llnwd.net/e2/c/images/2013/05/10/295026/size0.jpghttp://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5003698161714247&pid=15.1

:banana: "A Recruiting...WAIT! I think it's called a 'PC Career Center Now; But no Weekly update from Websters yet so i'll chance it...job fair advertisement!"

Pullinteeth
10-07-2013, 02:40 PM
:banana: "A Recruiting...WAIT! I think it's called a 'PC Career Center Now; But no Weekly update from Websters yet so i'll chance it...job fair advertisement!"

Nope...look at the sign...it is at the OB/GYN....

mikezulu1
10-07-2013, 03:11 PM
^^^^VALTREX advertisement

Drackore
10-07-2013, 04:09 PM
This isn't your grandpa's military anymore, especially when you are dealing with a political system that isn't nearly as honorably as your grandpa's political system. Don't pay your war torn military. Don't pay your overworked, overstressed military. Go ahead. Watch what happens. You think I am going to go out of my way to motivate people to work? You think I am going to stop them from flipping out? You think I am even going to life a finger to discipline them? Fuck off. I might fucking stand with them.

And yes...vote out every goddamn worthless incumbent for the next 20 years or until they:
1) Pass a balance budget amendment, and
2) Pass a Congressional term limit amendement

Class5Kayaker
10-07-2013, 07:47 PM
I still don't know why DFAS is posting all this doom and gloom. POMA clearly stated that FY funds were appropriated for paying us.

There are hereby appropriated for fiscal year 2014, out of any money in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, for any period during which interim or full-year appropriations
for fiscal year 2014 are not in effect—

(1) such sums as are necessary to provide pay and allowances to members of the Armed Forces (as defined in section 101(a)(4) of title 10, United States Code), including reserve components thereof, who perform active service during such period;
(2) such sums as are necessary to provide pay and allowances to the civilian personnel of the Department of Defense (and the Department of Homeland Security in the case of the Coast Guard) whom the Secretary concerned determines are providing support to members of the Armed Forces described in paragraph (1); and
(3) such sums as are necessary to provide pay and allowances to contractors of the Department of Defense (and the Department of Homeland Security in the case of the Coast Guard) whom the Secretary concerned determines are providing support to members of the Armed Forces described in paragraph

BRUWIN
10-07-2013, 09:28 PM
I just spent my day mowing grass around the neighborhood. What a refreshing change to be working just for me...and what a gorgeous day to be outside.

BOSS302
10-07-2013, 09:40 PM
I just spent my day mowing grass around the neighborhood. What a refreshing change to be working just for me...and what a gorgeous day to be outside.

Did you mow around the bicycle the lady left in your front yard?

B1k3rBoi
10-08-2013, 01:12 AM
I just got back from Finance and they said Military WILL be getting paid on the 15th.

SomeRandomGuy
10-08-2013, 01:16 AM
I just got back from Finance and they said Military WILL be getting paid on the 15th.

You really went to Finance just to ask that?

B1k3rBoi
10-08-2013, 01:42 AM
You really went to Finance just to ask that?

No, I was there to update my COLA and one of my troops asked me about this same subject this morning, so I asked them.

Absinthe Anecdote
10-08-2013, 08:00 AM

You should put in another application with CSX or open a strip club.

imported_StandardsAMust
10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
I've heard 20 times over the past 20 years that the troops wouldn't get paid. I'll believe it when I see it.

True...I wish we actually didn't get paid on the 15th...that would shock all of the military and wake the entire force up to actually pay attention to what our elected leaders are up to.

Unfortunately, that won't happen...I checked MyPay and my mid month pay is already showing...damn it!

Pullinteeth
10-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately, that won't happen...I checked MyPay and my mid month pay is already showing...damn it!

Never fear...they can always pull it back.

Sergeant eNYgma
10-08-2013, 05:20 PM
We should vote out ALL incumbants...on both sides.

I've BEEN saying this...vote everyone out. Next election if nothing significant is done vote them all out again and again and again until someone listens. We can;t keep talking about change but voting in the same idiots (All the way up and down the ladder).

Pullinteeth
10-08-2013, 05:43 PM
I've BEEN saying this...vote everyone out. Next election if nothing significant is done vote them all out again and again and again until someone listens. We can;t keep talking about change but voting in the same idiots (All the way up and down the ladder).

Would you like to bet on that?

Sergeant eNYgma
10-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Would you like to bet on that?

Well I know it'll never happen people will vote as they wish or along party lines...whatever suits them. But just saying once whoever gets in they really have no incentive to do anything worth a damn.

Class5Kayaker
10-08-2013, 07:22 PM
I was on a telcon with some high-level folks today. SAF/FM related DFAS is processing military paychecks right now. Everyone will get paid on time.

SomeRandomGuy
10-08-2013, 07:33 PM

Gregg Easterbrook (ESPN Tuesday Morning QB columnist) summed it up best. We need to redraw voting districts so that they are fair. The same reason these idiots keep getting voted in is because it is rigged that way (by both parties).

Replace Party Hacks with Algorithms: The nails-on-a-chalkboard nonsense in Washington, D.C., is happening partly because in most states, redistricting after the 2000 and then 2010 Census counts was designed by the parties in power to ensure that no House incumbent can ever be defeated. Zip-code analysis of voting patterns has given way to block-by-block computer analysis, generating gimmick gerrymandering that would have embarrassed Boss Tweed. Senate races cannot be gerrymandered, which is why the Senate recently has been more stable regardless of which party has the majority. In House redistricting, hanky-panky is unlimited.

The Cook Political Report calculates that in 1998 the House had 148 Republican safe seats, 123 Democratic safe seats and 164 contested seats. Two redistrictings later, for the 2012 election there were 190 Republican safe seats, 146 Democratic safe seats and 99 contested seats. That means today, only 23 percent of members of the House need to perform well to be re-elected. The other 77 percent, on both sides of the aisle, can devote their time and energy to grandstanding. That's a formula for the mess in Washington.

Right now that means that knowing their seats are secure no matter what they say or do, the far-right faction in the House can try to make the United States look as bad as possible. Why right-wingers want to make the United States look as bad as possible is a question only they can answer. Why conservatives rail against government, then manipulate districts to make certain they personally keep their government positions, is a second question. Why voters don't rebel against redistricting plans that are designed to emasculate them is a third question.

But if you're a conservative and think "this is great," bear in mind, the weapon may be turned against you.

In 2005, then Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger of California proposed that redistricting be done by a nonpartisan panel of retired federal judges. Democrats led by Nancy Pelosi fought furiously, and successfully, against this progressive reform, since Democrats held the statehouse and wanted to rig districts. Your columnist lives in the Maryland 6th district, which after the 2010 Census was absurdly gerrymandered to create this monstrosity. The purpose of the gerrymander was to defeat Republican Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, sole conservative member of Maryland's House delegation. It worked. Now Democratic John Delaney represents a district so elaborately crafted to generate a blue majority that Rep. Delaney could don a Lenin cap, vow allegiance to Moscow, and be re-elected. Today, safe-seat Republicans in the House are giggling about how they can stonewall a Democratic president. How long until Republicans regain the presidency and safe-seat Democrats in the House giggle about stonewalling?

Since any redistricting based on political arm-twisting will be tainted, the solution is computer algorithms that generate districts. A panel of experts representing a mix of ideologies could check the algorithms for neutrality, then let a mathematical formula draw the lines. This website details the logic of neutral redistricting. A simple way to use mathematics to subdivide any number of persons into the required number of districts is shown here.

Chief_KO
10-09-2013, 01:52 AM
Here's a thought...base the congressional districts by existing county or city boundaries. Current representation is approximately 700K citizens to congressman. To keep a "balance" the politicos reapportion their districts (largely on sociological differences). California has 58 counties and 53 congressional seats. Combine some of the more rural counties, give 1 rep to each of the large cities (LA, SF, SD), with the associated county receiving a seat.

As an example, today there are 14 congressmen representing parts of Los Angeles: Howard McKeon: 25th Congressional District, 0.6%, Brad Sherman: 27th Congressional District, 16.0%, Howard L. Berman: 28th Congressional District, 16.7%, Adam Schiff: 29th Congressional District, 0.0% (only 143 people in Los Angeles proper), Henry A. Waxman: 30th Congressional District, 10.8%, Xavier Becerra: 31st Congressional District, 17.3%, Judy Chu: 32nd Congressional District, 0.8%, Karen Bass: 33rd Congressional District, 15.8%, Lucille Roybal-Allard: 34th Congressional District, 5.1% Maxine Waters: 35th Congressional District, 7.6%, Janice Hahn: 36th Congressional District, 8.0%, Laura Richardson: 37th Congressional District, 0.9%
Linda Sánchez: 39th Congressional District 0.1%, Dana Rohrabacher: 48th Congressional District, 0.3%

SomeRandomGuy
10-09-2013, 03:14 AM
Here's a thought...base the congressional districts by existing county or city boundaries. Current representation is approximately 700K citizens to congressman. To keep a "balance" the politicos reapportion their districts (largely on sociological differences). California has 58 counties and 53 congressional seats. Combine some of the more rural counties, give 1 rep to each of the large cities (LA, SF, SD), with the associated county receiving a seat.

As an example, today there are 14 congressmen representing parts of Los Angeles: Howard McKeon: 25th Congressional District, 0.6%, Brad Sherman: 27th Congressional District, 16.0%, Howard L. Berman: 28th Congressional District, 16.7%, Adam Schiff: 29th Congressional District, 0.0% (only 143 people in Los Angeles proper), Henry A. Waxman: 30th Congressional District, 10.8%, Xavier Becerra: 31st Congressional District, 17.3%, Judy Chu: 32nd Congressional District, 0.8%, Karen Bass: 33rd Congressional District, 15.8%, Lucille Roybal-Allard: 34th Congressional District, 5.1% Maxine Waters: 35th Congressional District, 7.6%, Janice Hahn: 36th Congressional District, 8.0%, Laura Richardson: 37th Congressional District, 0.9%
Linda Sánchez: 39th Congressional District 0.1%, Dana Rohrabacher: 48th Congressional District, 0.3%

I am an Ohio resident (Dayton area). The last Presidential election really pissed me off. Ohio was one of the very few states actually in contention. Almost every single commercial was politics. We also had Romney and Obama visit multiple times. Guess who picks up the tab for security (highway patrol)? Yep, you guessed it! The Ohio taxpayers. We literally spent millions of dollars and were harassed just so these two idiots could come here and try to convince the 1,000 people who hadn't decided to vote for them. It is all very frustrating. We need to take a serious look at improving our entire election process from city councilman all the way up to President.

Bunch
10-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Well...I got paid in full... Special duty pay and all...

efmbman
10-15-2013, 12:19 AM

Why not use ZIP codes? I was under the impression that ZIP codes were created to encompass a set number of households.

sandsjames
10-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Guessing everyone got a paycheck??? I can't believe it. Usually, when we hear rumors about not getting paid, people don't get....oh...wait...we ALWAYS get paid, no matter how many rumors....

Absinthe Anecdote
10-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Guessing everyone got a paycheck??? I can't believe it. Usually, when we hear rumors about not getting paid, people don't get....oh...wait...we ALWAYS get paid, no matter how many rumors....

Stop complaining about getting paid on time.

sandsjames
10-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Stop complaining about getting paid on time.

I'm not complaining. I only get paid on the 1st anyway...

cloudFFVII
10-17-2013, 03:40 AM
Well, at least for a few more weeks no worries...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/16/senate-begins-vote-on-budget-bill-boehner-pledges-house-wont-block-it/

The government would be funded through January 15th and the debt ceiling raised through February 7th. This bill will also include back pay for all furloughed workers.

So, in essence, a can kicked down the road about a mile, with us speeding right back into the same scenario right after the holidays.

I love my country, I love serving my flag, I must follow & obey our CIC, but it doesn't mean I have to like the absolute dysfunction that is our government today.

kyle23457
10-17-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm not complaining. I only get paid on the 1st anyway...

Does it feel more advtangeous to be paid on the 1st for the entire month?

Chief_KO
10-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Why not use ZIP codes? I was under the impression that ZIP codes were created to encompass a set number of households.

I thought that was an excellent idea. But, after doing some digging I learned that there are some zipcodes that span states (small rural areas). Maybe change those zip codes...There has to be a less political way to determine congressional districts than what is in use today. And it would be great to use an already existing boundary be it ZIP codes, or city/county borders.

SomeRandomGuy
10-17-2013, 12:30 PM

He was talking about retired pay. DFAS only sends retired pay once per month on the 1st. I assume you were thinking about the active duty people who elect to only be paid once per month. At every base I have worked finance there are around 5% or less who decide to only get paid once per month. The only time I would recommend it is if literally all of your bills are due on the 1st and you cannot control yourself if you get paid the money on the 15th. In order to only get paid once per month you are going to have to skip a paycheck on the 15th. The pay you recieved on Oct 15th (2 days ago) was for 1-15 October. On Nov 1St you will get your pay from 16-31 October. If you only want to be paid on Novemeber 1st DFAS would basically hold your 15th paycheck (interest free) and then pay you for 1-31 October on the 1St. Like I said it only really makes sense if all of your bills are due on the 1st. There is nothing stopping someone who gets paid on the 15th from paying his/her bills early to split them between checks.

kyle23457
10-17-2013, 12:34 PM
He was talking about retired pay. DFAS only sends retired pay once per month on the 1st. I assume you were thinking about the active duty people who elect to only be paid once per month. At every base I have worked finance there are around 5% or less who decide to only get paid once per month. The only time I would recommend it is if literally all of your bills are due on the 1st and you cannot control yourself if you get paid the money on the 15th. In order to only get paid once per month you are going to have to skip a paycheck on the 15th. The pay you recieved on Oct 15th (2 days ago) was for 1-15 October. On Nov 1St you will get your pay from 16-31 October. If you only want to be paid on Novemeber 1st DFAS would basically hold your 15th paycheck (interest free) and then pay you for 1-31 October on the 1St. Like I said it only really makes sense if all of your bills are due on the 1st. There is nothing stopping someone who gets paid on the 15th from paying his/her bills early to split them between checks.

Yeah I'm referring to AD. I've yet to meet anyone who actually has it setup to only be paid on the first. Doesn't seem like a bad idea if you setup all your bills at the first of the month. I honestly wasn't even sure if it was even an option to get it changed.

SomeRandomGuy
10-17-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah I'm referring to AD. I've yet to meet anyone who actually has it setup to only be paid on the first. Doesn't seem like a bad idea if you setup all your bills at the first of the month. I honestly wasn't even sure if it was even an option to get it changed.

At one base it seemed like our entire OSI detachment was all paid on the 1st. Apparantly, someone in their group convinced everyone else that only getting paid once per month is the way to go. I am sure it would look great to get a huge lump sum of money once per month. The only problem is you would still have the same bills. I never understood why getting $3000 on the 1st is better than $1500 in the 15th then $1500 on the 1st. Normally the people who ask about it think that they can somehow get their pay for the next 15th on the 1st. When I explain to them that it is really just a wash most people change their mind and decide they like 2 paychecks per month better. If you ever do switch to once per month and want to go back to twice you have to realize you may still end up missing another paycheck on the 15th if finance doesn't get your paperwork processed. My recommendation to anyone is the less you have finance messing with your paycheck the less chance they can screw it up. I never understood people who constantly go to finance changing allotments or switching their direct deposit. Luckily, MyPay fixed a lot of that. Now those people can screw their pay up on their own.

sandsjames
10-17-2013, 12:52 PM

As mentioned, it's retired pay. One check a month takes some getting used to. Not going to work is easy to get used to,