PDA

View Full Version : Most DOD Civs will return to work Monday

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
10-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Anybody get told yet to go back to work? Are you one of those people who are not really THAT essential, but kinda, partly, barely essential enough to get called back tomorrow? Or are you less essential than the rats feeding on your snack bar crumbs at night? Must feel good to be one of "those guys."

Chief_KO
10-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Not called yet...although with the blizzard the base is still in road condition Red and power is still being restored. I am assuming I'll get the call, but unsure of when our roads will be plowed so we can get out of our neighborhood.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
10-06-2013, 04:28 PM
So half go back to work and get paid and the other half stay home and get paid?

It appears DoD wants those getting paid to return to work, not stay home. As much as I enjoy getting paid to stay home, I have things I'd like to get done at work. I'm falling behind and that's creating its own kind of stress that I don't need.

OtisRNeedleman
10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Our commissary will reopen on Tuesday. Monday is the regular day of closure.

sandsjames
10-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Our commissary will reopen on Tuesday. Monday is the regular day of closure.

Yep...ours does too...good news...please remember to tip your baggers...I need beer money.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
10-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Yep...ours does too...good news...please remember to tip your baggers...I need beer money.

Ok, self checkout it is!

BOSS302
10-06-2013, 10:59 PM

The commissaries in the UK are staffed with plenty of Filippinas and high schoolers; they have not suffered too much. At the Mildenhall shit-ass commissary, there is a surly lady who works the registers who, instead of waddling over and checking people's IDs at the self-checkout lines, will yell across the room to "SHOW YOUR ID!". Last week I held up my driver's license and she just gave me a thumbs-up. Maybe this week I'll see if I can get away with showing my English Heritage membership card.

sandsjames
10-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Ok, self checkout it is!

You didn't need to say anything...you're an officer...it's a given you will either bag your own or just not tip...

sandsjames
10-07-2013, 12:01 AM
The commissaries in the UK are staffed with plenty of Filippinas and high schoolers; they have not suffered too much. At the Mildenhall shit-ass commissary, there is a surly lady who works the registers who, instead of waddling over and checking people's IDs at the self-checkout lines, will yell across the room to "SHOW YOUR ID!". Last week I held up my driver's license and she just gave me a thumbs-up. Maybe this week I'll see if I can get away with showing my English Heritage membership card.

I love that lady...

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
10-07-2013, 12:20 AM
You didn't need to say anything...you're an officer...it's a given you will either bag your own or just not tip...

And given the choice between full serve or self serve gas, I choose self serve. How about you?

sandsjames
10-07-2013, 02:49 AM
And given the choice between full serve or self serve gas, I choose self serve. So to speak...

SomeRandomGuy
10-07-2013, 03:30 AM

I'm kind of cheap like FLAPS, USAF (ret). Do you think we could work something out where I just give you one of my beers from the 12 pack instead of $1?

OtisRNeedleman
10-07-2013, 05:18 AM

I tip five bucks every time I buy a week's food. Not all officers are cheap fucks.

Slyoldawg
10-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Congress just passed a bill to make sure furloughed government workers receive their back-pay? Whew! At least those non-essential workers doing non-essential jobs can now get their non-essential time off with non-essential pay

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
10-07-2013, 01:00 PM
I tip five bucks every time I buy a week's food. Not all officers are cheap fucks.

How much do you give when all they do is place that one box of cereal into a bag. I love when I get that "I deserve a tip" look for a half-second worth of work. Yeah, here's your dime. Damn, all I have is a quarter. Keep the change!

sandsjames
10-07-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm kind of cheap like FLAPS, USAF (ret). Do you think we could work something out where I just give you one of my beers from the 12 pack instead of $1?

That'll work...

Chief_KO
10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Got the call yesterday. Base still closed due to the blizzard, still clearing streets, restoring power, etc. Should be back to work tomorrow.

Rusty Jones
10-07-2013, 02:46 PM
How much do you give when all they do is place that one box of cereal into a bag. I love when I get that "I deserve a tip" look for a half-second worth of work. Yeah, here's your dime. Damn, all I have is a quarter. Keep the change!

Well, considering the fact that they're not paid a wage and the fact that you're shopping at a place that offers significantly lower prices than anywhere else - and the fact that you're probably getting paid more than twice what you'd be worth as a civilian - I say it's time to nix that superiority complex you have.

Pullinteeth
10-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Well, considering the fact that they're not paid a wage and the fact that you're shopping at a place that offers significantly lower prices than anywhere else - and the fact that you're probably getting paid more than twice what you'd be worth as a civilian - I say it's time to nix that superiority complex you have.

Even DECA doesn't make such an absurd claim.

Class5Kayaker
10-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Seeing as how this got derailed to the comissary already, I'll post this observation here (it does have to do with the furlough being released).

My base announced the return of workers on their offical FB page. In the comments, someone asked (pretty early on) if the commissary would be opening back up. Another person replied that her husband worked as a stocker and was told to go back today to stock shelves so they could open on Tuesday. Right after that another lady replied something along the lines of (in all caps mind you), "OH THANK GOD, PRAISE JESUS!!"

Seriously? The commissary reopens after being closed for five days and you react like someone just told you your husband wasn't on the C-130 that crashed?

SMH....

BOSS302
10-07-2013, 08:03 PM

http://f.kulfoto.com/pic/0001/0043/9jzQA42362.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YbyIl7DVGRk/T7K4ttpCyoI/AAAAAAAAI5I/UioHtXspNNg/s640/fishingfriend.jpg

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
10-08-2013, 02:24 AM

You equate my wanting to save money to having a "superiority complex?"

Chief Bosun
10-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm gonna make one brief foray into the DECA issue and then try to get this back on track.

Commissary - their site had indicated you could save an avarage of 30%. However, like anything else, you have to do your homework and see who has the best deals depending on your situation. For me, yes I save driving the 24 miles round-trip to the commissary from home vice going to the store 3 miles away for anything more than one or two items. Someone else may decide they do better at Target or Wal-Mart (or the Piggly-Wiggly for that matter).

Back to the original topic of this thread -

I'm a DON civilian. Fortunately, even though I am non-essential, I was not furloughed due to the shutdown.

Why?

Because I work at a Working Capital Fund location, and we get our funding from a different pot of money. Not bragging, just stating a fact, and happy that I did not get a potentially unpaid vacation like I had to take over six days last summer. However, when the pot of money I draw from is drained ...

Yes, I do feel for the folks on furlough. They are going to have a lot of work to get caught up on, and even if they authorize overtime, etc., after awhile just the grind will get to you and no amount of money can make up for that toll. I know that from experience just trying to cushion myself last spring for the furloughs that came in July and August.

It has been past practice in cases like this one to pay the folks put out due to a shutdown - after all, they were ready to go to work, and it is not their fault that the government said "stay home if your job description does not indicate you're considered essential because we have no funding to pay for our operations". I have no issues with them getting paid - after all, they did what their employer told them to do. Now, I would have an issue if Congress told the feds that were furloughed to go perform an act that is not only probably against the laws of man and nature as well as anatomically impossible for most folks if they complained because Congress decided not to do this.

Pullinteeth
10-08-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm gonna make one brief foray into the DECA issue and then try to get this back on track.

Commissary - their site had indicated you could save an avarage of 30%. However, like anything else, you have to do your homework and see who has the best deals depending on your situation. For me, yes I save driving the 24 miles round-trip to the commissary from home vice going to the store 3 miles away for anything more than one or two items. Someone else may decide they do better at Target or Wal-Mart (or the Piggly-Wiggly for that matter).

That is almost exactly the opposite of what the DECA website says. It says if you do ALL of your shopping at the commissary, you can save up to 30% (excluding the 5% surcharge).

http://www.commissaries.com/documents/contact_deca/faqs/prices_commissary.cfm

sandsjames
10-08-2013, 02:01 PM
That is almost exactly the opposite of what the DECA website says. It says if you do ALL of your shopping at the commissary, you can save up to 30% (excluding the 5% surcharge).

We've been paying close attention to the overall cost of shopping since retirement. We have found the Commissary to save us about 30 bucks every two weeks over off base grocery stores. However, we have also found that the produce/meat/dairy is not the same quality as you can find off base. The meat off base is much better quality, the milk has an expiration date, off base, sometimes 2 weeks longer than on base. And the vegetables on base seem to expire 3 or 4 days after purchase, while off base they will last until we use them. I guess it just depends on what you are looking for. Some people are all about saving money. I'd prefer to pay a little more for a good steak and an apple that I don't have to eat within two days of purchase.

Rusty Jones
10-08-2013, 02:11 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YbyIl7DVGRk/T7K4ttpCyoI/AAAAAAAAI5I/UioHtXspNNg/s640/fishingfriend.jpg

No, this is real. FLAPS actually believes in what he's saying. He's a hardass without a cause "anti-entitlement" type.

You equate my wanting to save money to having a "superiority complex?"

When it's money that makes little difference to you, but a big difference to someone else... yes.

Even DECA doesn't make such an absurd claim.

It doesn't have to. For the most part, I'm speaking from my own experience; and I'm sure most could say the same. I actually save money by buying meat, fresh produce, and anything where I require a specific brand at the commissary. Then I'll go to a local grocery store, and pick up generic/store brands - as the commissary doesn't carry these.

Brand for brand, the commissary is cheaper. However, generic/store brands at local stores are still cheaper than anything in the commissary.

Chief Bosun
10-08-2013, 02:53 PM

http://www.commissaries.com/documents/contact_deca/faqs/prices_commissary.cfm

Thanks.

I just looked at it 30 seconds ago. They state "Save an Average of 30% or More!"

Like I said, you have to do your homework.

Are there better deals off-base? Yes, depending on what you want, any sales/discounts/promotions going on at the commissary or your local store, as well as the trade-off in cost of getting there vice what you save by going there.

Mcjohn1118
10-08-2013, 11:04 PM

Yes, I do feel for the folks on furlough. They are going to have a lot of work to get caught up on, and even if they authorize overtime, etc., after awhile just the grind will get to you and no amount of money can make up for that toll. I know that from experience just trying to cushion myself last spring for the furloughs that came in July and August.

It has been past practice in cases like this one to pay the folks put out due to a shutdown - after all, they were ready to go to work, and it is not their fault that the government said "stay home if your job description does not indicate you're considered essential because we have no funding to pay for our operations". I have no issues with them getting paid - after all, they did what their employer told them to do. Now, I would have an issue if Congress told the feds that were furloughed to go perform an act that is not only probably against the laws of man and nature as well as anatomically impossible for most folks if they complained because Congress decided not to do this.

Chief, I have a question for you. I've posted it a few other times and really haven't gotten an answer. Some will claim it's apples and oranges but here it is. While the Federal Government is not about making profits, it's not frowned upon to save money. In the private sector, a company's goal should be to make a profit. In the private sector, there are times a company has to lay people off. The employees were ready to go to work but the company said no, here is your pink slip. If business picks up, we will hire you back. This company does not pay this employee any back-pay. So, why should the Government be different? Just a few months ago, due to sequestration, the DoD had to furlough employees. We had to do the notification protocol, get the acknowledgements, etc. The employees wanted to work but we had to slash $50B from the DoD coffers. There was no back-pay. We just had another furlough, but this time it was because no-one can on both sides of the aisle can get their shit together, but now there is back-pay. Here's the kicker, we still have sequestration to deal with this fiscal year so eventually, there will be more furloughs, but no back-pay. While I'm sympathetic to my civilian co-workers, I don't get the whole back-pay formula for those who sat home and did not work.

BOSS302
10-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Seeing as how this got derailed to the comissary already, I'll post this observation here (it does have to do with the furlough being released).

My base announced the return of workers on their offical FB page. In the comments, someone asked (pretty early on) if the commissary would be opening back up. Another person replied that her husband worked as a stocker and was told to go back today to stock shelves so they could open on Tuesday. Right after that another lady replied something along the lines of (in all caps mind you), "OH THANK GOD, PRAISE JESUS!!"

Seriously? The commissary reopens after being closed for five days and you react like someone just told you your husband wasn't on the C-130 that crashed?

SMH....

It's amazing how many people - both in the military and in the civilian world - have an unhealthy obsession with big-box retailers. In Korea, I had friends who would just wander the BX aisles on their lunch break. Why?

There are people here in the UK on the bases who, if the trip isn't a packaged ITT affair, will NOT travel away from the comforts of the immediate base area. I think I've told this little story before but, when I went to London with some buddies, the FIRST thing they wanted to do when getting off the Underground was hit-up the McDonald's near Piccadily Circus. WTF?

Pullinteeth
10-09-2013, 01:42 PM
While the Federal Government is not about making profits, it's not frowned upon to save money.

I take it you have never worked for the Federal Government...

Mcjohn1118
10-09-2013, 02:15 PM
I take it you have never worked for the Federal Government...

Well depends how you define work. I collect my pay twice a month, for almost 21 years now and earn thirty days of paid leave a year. Maybe when i was younger I worked hard, but not so much anymore...

Pullinteeth
10-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Well depends how you define work. I collect my pay twice a month, for almost 21 years now and earn thirty days of paid leave a year. Maybe when i was younger I worked hard, but not so much anymore...

Then you should be aware that actually saving money is HIGHLY discouraged. Sure, they pay it lip service throughout the year-save money get money blah blah blah... However, come Sept, every dime that was saved throughout the year will be spent come hell or high water.

CYBERFX1024
10-09-2013, 03:30 PM
It's amazing how many people - both in the military and in the civilian world - have an unhealthy obsession with big-box retailers. In Korea, I had friends who would just wander the BX aisles on their lunch break. Why?
There are people here in the UK on the bases who, if the trip isn't a packaged ITT affair, will NOT travel away from the comforts of the immediate base area. I think I've told this little story before but, when I went to London with some buddies, the FIRST thing they wanted to do when getting off the Underground was hit-up the McDonald's near Piccadily Circus. WTF?

When I went on deployment in 2005 and we would stop at the different ports. I used to hate that. My friends would all want to go to the mall, or go to Mcdonalds to eat. Why not experience the culture?

retiredAFcivvy
10-09-2013, 05:05 PM
Then you should be aware that actually saving money is HIGHLY discouraged. Sure, they pay it lip service throughout the year-save money get money blah blah blah... However, come Sept, every dime that was saved throughout the year will be spent come hell or high water.
I'm sure you know that this year end spending is driven by FY appropriations (Fiscal Law--Use it or lose it).

Pullinteeth
10-09-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm sure you know that this year end spending is driven by FY appropriations (Fiscal Law--Use it or lose it).

And? Saving money is saving money. Wasting money is wasting money and the Federal Government HIGHLY encourages you to waste money.

retiredAFcivvy
10-09-2013, 08:42 PM
And? Saving money is saving money. Wasting money is wasting money and the Federal Government HIGHLY encourages you to waste money.

I guess if you are saying that the the requirement for funds appropriated in an FY to be spent in that same FY can lead to waste then I won't argue. Just saying that not all end of year spending is wasteful. And if there were some savings on items purchased during the year and this is leftover money being spent on needed items then that is not waste.

Pullinteeth
10-10-2013, 07:23 PM
I guess if you are saying that the the requirement for funds appropriated in an FY to be spent in that same FY can lead to waste then I won't argue. Just saying that not all end of year spending is wasteful. And if there were some savings on items purchased during the year and this is leftover money being spent on needed items then that is not waste.

Especially since there IS no REQUIREMENT to spend it. Is it prudent to do so? Absolutely. Are you REQUIRED to spend it? Absolutely not. If you don't spend it, it is returned. The fear is that if you turn $$ back in, you will take a hit on your budget next year but that has nothing to do with the thousands (if not millions) of dollars that are blown on CRAP every September.

retiredAFcivvy
10-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Especially since there IS no REQUIREMENT to spend it. Is it prudent to do so? Absolutely. Are you REQUIRED to spend it? Absolutely not. If you don't spend it, it is returned. The fear is that if you turn $$ back in, you will take a hit on your budget next year but that has nothing to do with the thousands (if not millions) of dollars that are blown on CRAP every September.
I agree. In my experience, I think the AF has improved on this in recent years, but Gov't wide, I'm sure it does happen.

Pullinteeth
10-11-2013, 12:57 AM
I agree. In my experience, I think the AF has improved on this in recent years, but Gov't wide, I'm sure it does happen.

You would be incorrect...I was required to move some comm through a civ company for an office that isn't going to be ready for another two months. Now my guy had no comm for two months-unless we want (hell COULD) pay to switch it back for two months then pay again to move it back....total that would cost? Almost $1,000...

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
11-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Why go through the normal line when you can use self-checkout?

OtisRNeedleman
11-24-2013, 12:46 AM
Why go through the normal line when you can use self-checkout?

Because I usually have two carts of stuff and don't feel like bagging my groceries. Also, my regular bagger is a friend.