PDA

View Full Version : Sam's Club waives shopping fees for military during government shutdown

ThaBufe
10-04-2013, 03:31 PM
http://www.dailypress.com/features/shopping/savvy-shopper-blog/dp-sams-club-waives-shopping-fees-for-military-during-government-shutdown-20131004,0,2059728.story?track=rss

By Nicole Paitsel

Daily Press

9:45 a.m. EDT, October 4, 2013
Sam's Club announced Thursday that it would waive shopping fees for anyone who has a military I.D. in response to the government shutdown.

Throughout the duration of the shutdown, members of the military and their families can shop at Sam's Club without paying for a membership or paying the 10 percent convenience fee for non-members.

Military shoppers must show their valid military I.D.s to be issued a pass. The passes will be issued for one day at a time until the shutdown is over.

ttribe
10-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Very nice of them. Especially if you need a 5lb bag of gummy bears, 50 pack of cupcakes, a 200 count box of fish sticks, and a 1/2 gallon of Vaseline intensive care lotion.

USMC0341
10-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Very nice of them. Especially if you need a 5lb bag of gummy bears, 50 pack of cupcakes, a 200 count box of fish sticks, and a 1/2 gallon of Vaseline intensive care lotion.

you should stock up, then sell after the next PT test; from what i hear that can score you some serious bullets on your epr as well as make a bunch of fatties happy.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
10-04-2013, 04:32 PM

I'm a GS employee too, so I wonder if they'll sell me a 55 gal drum of regular Vaseline.

sandsjames
10-04-2013, 05:24 PM

Some people are never happy....

Never shopped there, but will do so now...

garhkal
10-04-2013, 06:29 PM
When i was active i knew lots of mil that shopped at sams.. Good for them!

Chief_KO
10-04-2013, 06:50 PM
I remember in the 80's when Sams Club first started...membership was free to military, teachers, and maybe a few others.

AFcynic
10-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Many years ago, I worked for Sam's. Any time I got close to 40 hours because of call-ins, no-shows, what have you's, I'd be told to clock out, but stay working. When I told them to f..k off, they threatened to fire me. Well, this 18 year old college student w/a car payment wasn't going to let his hooptie get repossessed. So, I clocked out and went back to work.

That's why I would rather pay $1.05 for something at Target, instead of paying $0.99 at Walmart. F..k you Walmart!

AJBIGJ
10-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Good on Sam's for smart marketing, trying to snatch new consumers while Commisarries become pawns on the political chessboard is a nice way to gain market share!

sandsjames
10-04-2013, 08:46 PM
What confuses me is why the Commissary is shut down? Do they not turn a profit?

AJBIGJ
10-04-2013, 08:49 PM
What confuses me is why the Commissary is shut down? Do they not turn a profit?

I'm not a mindreader, but it seems that a few of these "shutdowns" seem to be more influenced by a desire to have a voting populace "inconvenienced" by a government shutdown than for actual cost-savings. I might be mistaken in the notion however.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
10-04-2013, 09:40 PM
I'm not a mindreader, but it seems that a few of these "shutdowns" seem to be more influenced by a desire to have a voting populace "inconvenienced" by a government shutdown than for actual cost-savings. I might be mistaken in the notion however.

The commissary is taxpayer subsidized, which is why many lawmakers want to axe them, or at least kill. The subsidies. No way they came turn a profit while offering discounted groceries. Without the discount, no reason for them to exist (stateside).

AJBIGJ
10-04-2013, 09:45 PM
The commissary is taxpayer subsidized, which is why many lawmakers want to axe them, or at least kill. The subsidies. No way they came turn a profit while offering discounted groceries. Without the discount, no reason for them to exist (stateside).

True, and so are we on Active Duty in fact, as are health benefits and any number of other "benefits". I just find it ironic and a little suspicious how they're picking and choosing what gets "shutdown" by this process. It may in fact be entirely legitimate based on accounting categories and thousands of pages of confusing legislation. Our pay almost was shut off, that was erased at almost the last possible second. Just a funny distinction the way I see it all.

garhkal
10-05-2013, 03:34 AM

More likely to get the VA (who is one of the bigger users of commesaries from what i hear) on board against the gop..

I've shopped on base, and off.. and i hear these 'discounted groceries' angle for what the Com does. Now while i admit some goods i have gotten there are cheaper than say walmart, or kroger, others are not. Combined with the "Surcharge" being the same % level as what the local community has for "Sales tax" i'd like to know HOW they are supposedly being discounted..?