PDA

View Full Version : Will Govt Shutdown affect PCS/TDY/Training/PME ect?

veritas
10-01-2013, 05:01 AM

RobotChicken
10-01-2013, 06:18 AM
:spy "We will all find out by Friday when the blame game ends at 1700hrs, Weekend news time.!" :behindsofa

technomage1
10-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Possibly/no/probably/maybe is what I'm betting on. I can see a freeze on everything but down range taskings.

AERYCK13
10-01-2013, 09:00 AM
I'm downrange... I'm wondering if I'll be able to get back home...

Stalwart
10-01-2013, 09:14 AM
What I have seen so far is that 'non-essential' moves will be delayed. I know of a few folks who were TAD to resident JPME training, training was cancelled and they returned home over the weekend.

As far as Overseas Contingency Operations: "Military operations in Afghanistan and in other locations where they are considered “necessary for the safety of human life and protection of property” will continue. Deployment and separation orders are not affected. Other temporary travel will not be authorized or subject to a senior officer’s or civilian’s approval if going to and from Afghanistan, for example." So for AERYCK13, it is probably going to be up to the first Col or BGen in your chain of command.

technomage1
10-01-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm downrange... I'm wondering if I'll be able to get back home...

I think that will be the last thing they shutdown.

sandsjames
10-01-2013, 12:14 PM
I think that will be the last thing they shutdown.

And, ironically, it's the one main thing that's put us in this situation.

BOSS302
10-01-2013, 01:00 PM
And, ironically, it's the one main thing that's put us in this situation.

???

BRUWIN
10-01-2013, 01:24 PM
Anyone know how this will work?

I know how it affects me as a government civilian. I am told I have to come to work and they will pay me when they are damn good and ready. I am not entitled to any leave or sick leave during this time period. However, I can quit anytime.

sandsjames
10-01-2013, 01:27 PM
???

He talked about how the last thing that would be stopped were the people down range. I pointed out that the people down range, and being down range, is what put us in the position to have to shut down the government.

sandsjames
10-01-2013, 01:28 PM
I know how it affects me as a government civilian. I am told I have to come to work and they will pay me when they are damn good and ready. I am not entitled to any leave or sick leave during this time period. However, I can quit anytime.

Shoulda got a job with the railroads....

BOSS302
10-01-2013, 01:41 PM
He talked about how the last thing that would be stopped were the people down range. I pointed out that the people down range, and being down range, is what put us in the position to have to shut down the government.

How? The current budget wrestling match is over a domestic issue (defunding the Affordable Care Act) while the broader buget issue - to include government debt and deficits - is the result of mostly domestic issues.

My "???" was me being confused as to how you put the entire shutting down of the government on overseas operations and military members who are part of those operations...I'd still like to know what you're getting at & what you're smoking to get to that conclusion :hug

sandsjames
10-01-2013, 01:44 PM
How? The current budget wrestling match is over a domestic issue (defunding the Affordable Care Act) while the broader buget issue - to include government debt and deficits - is the result of mostly domestic issues.

My "???" was me being confused as to how you put the entire shutting down of the government on overseas operations and military members who are part of those operations...I'd still like to know what you're getting at & what you're smoking to get to that conclusion :hug

Just stating that if we weren't spending billions of dollars a week in a no-win situation like Crapganistan. To pretend this doesn't affect domestic issues is crazy.

Bunch
10-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I was instructed yesterday to cancel all activities I had registered for this and next week. No conferences, no career fairs and the like. And our civilian here apparently was told no to report.

BOSS302
10-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Just stating that if we weren't spending billions of dollars a week in a no-win situation like Crapganistan. To pretend this doesn't affect domestic issues is crazy.

http://www.heritage.org/~/media/2E663D4BCEB9422BB036D0F0A1475126.ashx

Defense spending has dropped due to overseas operations winding down and the Budget Control Act/Sequestration. Social Security, Medicare, and other domestic entitlements have been rising at a far higher rate than defense spending and stands at over 14.5% of the GDP (compared to the 4% that defense spending consumes).

I know what you're trying to say, that the overseas operations have added to the budget woes, and they have - marginally. Domestic entitlements, domestic mandatory spending, and discretionary spending are the true culprits. That's what you need to focus on.

sandsjames
10-01-2013, 02:10 PM
http://www.heritage.org/~/media/2E663D4BCEB9422BB036D0F0A1475126.ashx

Defense spending has dropped due to overseas operations winding down and the Budget Control Act/Sequestration. Social Security, Medicare, and other domestic entitlements have been rising at a far higher rate than defense spending and stands at over 14.5% of the GDP (compared to the 4% that defense spending consumes).

I know what you're trying to say, that the overseas operations have added to the budget woes, and they have - marginally. Domestic entitlements, domestic mandatory spending, and discretionary spending are the true culprits. That's what you need to focus on.

Like Obamacare....we can't fund what we've got and now we're adding something else. But the defense budget, even though a small percentage, is still huge. The little things add up.

BOSS302
10-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Like Obamacare....we can't fund what we've got and now we're adding something else. But the defense budget, even though a small percentage, is still huge. The little things add up.

Okay, that statement makes sense. Saying that the government shutdown is the result of overseas operations does not make sense. All those Cummins diesel engine fumes have gotten to you.

sandsjames
10-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Okay, that statement makes sense. Saying that the government shutdown is the result of overseas operations does not make sense. All those Cummins diesel engine fumes have gotten to you.

Ok...you're right...

BOSS302
10-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Ok...you're right...

You're also right. Two rights make a wrong.

sandsjames
10-01-2013, 04:53 PM
You're also right. Two rights make a wrong.

What are you doing???!!! Two people can't be right at the same time....:explode

Class5Kayaker
10-01-2013, 07:32 PM
:focus

As far as PME, I know the SOS class that was in session right now got stopped. All students heading back to their home-stations today (I think they were due to graduate Friday and are being allowed to officially graduate and get credit though).

Dickie
10-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Anyone know how this will work?

At Tinker they have suspended all Education Center PME testing (Course 14) due to the shutdown.

Ripcord
10-01-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm heading out to SNCOA today for class starting 7 Oct. As of right now they (the schoolhouse) are saying its still a go. I think the fact that this class was funded with FY13 dollars may have something to do with that. Hope so anyway. I have a long drive ahead of me....

Class5Kayaker
10-01-2013, 09:06 PM
No Tuition Assistance for any classes that start on 1 Oct or beyond until the shutdown ends....

http://www.airforcetimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013310010020

Class5Kayaker
10-01-2013, 09:09 PM
I'm heading out to SNCOA today for class starting 7 Oct. As of right now they (the schoolhouse) are saying its still a go. I think the fact that this class was funded with FY13 dollars may have something to do with that. Hope so anyway. I have a long drive ahead of me....

I doubt it. It has to do with the per diem/travel which would all be FY 14 and that is suposedly all cancelled right now. I'd really check in to it before driving out if I were you. They cancelled SOS and sent everyone home today. I don't see how SNCOA would be any different.

FLAPS, USAF (ret)
10-01-2013, 09:24 PM

FY14 travel has to be done with FY14 dollars.

Ripcord
10-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Then why was my fund cite for DTS a FY13 fund cite? Not questioning just curious.

Class5Kayaker
10-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Then why was my fund cite for DTS a FY13 fund cite? Not questioning just curious.

If I had to guess, they can't load te FY14 LOA until the new FY rolls around and they were going to have you update it once the LOA was loaded before finalizing your orders, or ammend your orders if you already had them done. But I'm not a Finance/DTS guy so I'm not positive. Maybe StandardsAMust can answer an FM question instead of something to do with PT (I'm pretty sure he's FM).

Ripcord
10-01-2013, 09:40 PM
If I had to guess, they can't load te FY14 LOA until the new FY rolls around and they were going to have you update it once the LOA was loaded before finalizing your orders, or ammend your orders if you already had them done. But I'm not a Finance/DTS guy so I'm not positive. Maybe StandardsAMust can answer an FM question instead of something to do with PT (I'm pretty sure he's FM).

Yup just checked my orders. FY14. Crap. Called the schoolhouse and they said they will have a final answer by noon tomorrow. I'm driving from Cali so it's cutting it close.

jerseyfla
10-02-2013, 01:53 AM
We were told at Keesler NCOA that they will find out from the Barnes Center for Enlisted PME what will go on. We were told they might send the TDY students home or look at condensing the schedule to graduate them by cutting out PT and guest speakers but still keeping the buttload of work we have to do and required speeches and exam which will make life hell for those "at home" students at Keesler like me.

technomage1
10-02-2013, 02:11 AM

I see your point - the wars did cost/are costing a TON of money, but I don't think thats the only reason. For decades we've been spending and spending like it was going out of style.

sandsjames
10-02-2013, 11:53 AM
I see your point - the wars did cost/are costing a TON of money, but I don't think thats the only reason. For decades we've been spending and spending like it was going out of style.

Again, I agree. Not the only reason, but still a reason. And to think that the wars didn't also affect the domestic economy is crazy. The "trickle down" spread far beyond the defense budget.

BOSS302
10-02-2013, 12:32 PM

That's what he meant the first time, he just did not say it correctly.

BoredUTM
10-02-2013, 02:15 PM
All of my UGT folks can't test for their EOC until the shutdown ends.

SomeRandomGuy
10-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Thought this thread might be a good place to ask a question. With the government shutdown many bases have closed their gyms. How are PT tests being conducted? How could they possibly close the gym when PT is such a mission essential part of the Air Force? Have any planes felt out of the sky yet?

DWWSWWD
10-02-2013, 03:44 PM
We were told at Keesler NCOA that they will find out from the Barnes Center for Enlisted PME what will go on. We were told they might send the TDY students home or look at condensing the schedule to graduate them by cutting out PT and guest speakers but still keeping the buttload of work we have to do and required speeches and exam which will make life hell for those "at home" students at Keesler like me.

Noone is going home. We will condense. Each school is working its own plan right now. Every freaking end of course survey from students says this course should be four weeks long. Well, here you go.

Ripcord
10-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Noone is going home. We will condense. Each school is working its own plan right now. Every freaking end of course survey from students says this course should be four weeks long. Well, here you go.

Any intel on the 14A classes? Specifically SCNOA? I'm on the road but still waiting on a yey or ney.

DWWSWWD
10-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Any intel on the 14A classes? Specifically SCNOA? I'm on the road but still waiting on a yey or ney.

No. Sorry. I have a friend in the same boat as you waiting on word. I could PM you if I hear something but that wouldn't be much value added. You'll need something official. I would keep your formal training manager on speed dial and check the school's website frequently.

Ripcord
10-02-2013, 04:03 PM
No. Sorry. I have a friend in the same boat as you waiting on word. I could PM you if I hear something but that wouldn't be much value added. You'll need something official. I would keep your formal training manager on speed dial and check the school's website frequently.

Yeah I'm kind of pot committed now. My Chief has been in contact with Chief Tapia and got the same answer. Was hoping for some solid DL intel if there is any. Schoolhouse says they are still posturing for class but to ready to go the other way. This will be havoc if they do delay/cancel especially for the foreign students and the overseas guys on leave enroute right now....

Going to keep driving east but realize I'll have to eat the cost if I do have to turn around.

Thanks it was worth a try. :)

AFcynic
10-02-2013, 04:21 PM
The shutdown should be able to teach AETC that NCOA and SNCOA aren't necessary anymore. Hell, ALS can be condensed into a weeklong training class. The NCOA and SNCOA are two giant wastes of time and money. All those academies teach you is how to kiss leadership's a$$, or you're out of a job. No NCO ever came back from indoctrination camp ready to hold leadership responsible, question poor decision making by the boss, or stand up for the right thing. These academies have neutered strong NCOs and SNCOs, and will continue to do so. You won't kick a$$ anymore, but you'll be able to kiss it.

DWWSWWD
10-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Chief, I was retraining at Lackland a few years back when there were budget questions,
lots of confusion and uncertainty, as we had civilians, guard and reserve in my class.
I know you are probably dealing with a lot of questions, so just wanted to say
thanks for all you are doing during this time.

Thanks, Tak. Truly a bright spot in my day. Lots of questions. My frustration is that I don't have answers just yet. We seem to be thinking things through which is good, though slow. The tasker yesterday was to come up with a plan to send everyone home, bring them back and figure out how to get them up to speed without impacting original grad day or the rest of the FY. Remember that we're trying to keep pace so we decrease TIG sufficient to be able to populate a SNCOA years earlier in a career. If we lose 1,000 TSgts or so (1 class AF wide), that puts us way behind. Anywho, all that to say that today's plan is much, much better. Mine cuts $75K. If that with works combined with the rest, we get to keep our beautiful students. Hoping for answer soon, but good answers.

Ripcord
10-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks, Tak. Truly a bright spot in my day. Lots of questions. My frustration is that I don't have answers just yet. We seem to be thinking things through which is good, though slow. The tasker yesterday was to come up with a plan to send everyone home, bring them back and figure out how to get them up to speed without impacting original grad day or the rest of the FY. Remember that we're trying to keep pace so we decrease TIG sufficient to be able to populate a SNCOA years earlier in a career. If we lose 1,000 TSgts or so (1 class AF wide), that puts us way behind. Anywho, all that to say that today's plan is much, much better. Mine cuts $75K. If that with works combined with the rest, we get to keep our beautiful students. Hoping for answer soon, but good answers.. Let me ask. Is the issue furloughed civilians or the perdiem travel and tdy cost per student? If its the later it seems to me it would cost more to send people home just to bring them back.

DWWSWWD
10-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Yeah I'm kind of pot committed now. My Chief has been in contact with Chief Tapia and got the same answer. Was hoping for some solid DL intel if there is any. Schoolhouse says they are still posturing for class but to ready to go the other way. This will be havoc if they do delay/cancel especially for the foreign students and the overseas guys on leave enroute right now....

Going to keep driving east but realize I'll have to eat the cost if I do have to turn around.

Thanks it was worth a try. :)

TURN AROUND!! I'll PM you.

SomeRandomGuy
10-02-2013, 05:02 PM
. Let me ask. Is the issue furloughed civilians or the perdiem travel and tdy cost per student? If its the later it seems to me it would cost more to send people home just to bring them back.

We have a similar issue here. We have a civilian who is teaching a class in Virginia. Our commander approved him as mission essential until friday so he can continue the class. If nothing happens before this weekend we have a military replacement who is going to fly out and take over teaching the class. Once we get approval to start things back up again they will swap out again. So because of this shutdown we are paying for two extra rountrip airline tickets plus the adiditonal per diem costs.

SomeRandomGuy
10-02-2013, 05:05 PM
[QUOTE=Ripcord;656227]Going to keep driving east but realize I'll have to eat the cost if I do have to turn around. [QUOTE]

There is no reason that you would have to eat the cost as long as you have certified travel orders. I assume you are smart enough to not leave your base without valid orders. As long as you followed the dates on those orders and were then given an order to return you will be paid your travel costs. Let me know if you need links to the relevant section of the JFTR.

Here it is JFTR U4090D

D. Order Canceled while Traveler Is en route to a TDY Station. If a TDY order is canceled while the traveler is en
route to the TDY station, round trip travel and transportation allowances are authorized between the PDS or
residence and the point at which the cancellation notification was received (includes a leave point) and the PDS,
NTE the round trip distance from the PDS to the TDY station. Per diem is not authorized for any day on which the
traveler was in a leave status. See 51 Comp. Gen. 548 (1972) and B-175427, April 14, 1972.

Ripcord
10-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks! Headed home now.

DWWSWWD
10-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks! Headed home now. Ha ha. The things people will believe from an internet Chief....

Ripcord
10-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Lol. Actually I got my message from my chief... :)

AERYCK13
10-03-2013, 05:20 AM
SNCOA has slipped to 21 October and is scheduled to run to 6 December...

technomage1
10-03-2013, 07:41 AM
We got word from the MAJCOM that assignments other then separations or retirements, where the member does not have orders, are on hold. If they have orders in hand, they go.

technomage1
10-03-2013, 03:47 PM
which majcom is this?

I'd rather not say, since I have PCSd and would like to keep my new location private. But I've got to imagine this is an AF wide thing. This came from the personnel chief there.

imported_AFKILO7
10-04-2013, 01:20 AM
All of our Marine and Army students have been sent back to their home stations since they cannot be paid per diem. Just waiting for the Navy and Air Force to follow suit...

Silverback
10-04-2013, 01:38 AM
I'd rather not say, since I have PCSd and would like to keep my new location private. But I've got to imagine this is an AF wide thing. This came from the personnel chief there.

I received an email today stating the same thing. I am pretty sure that it is AF wide.

Chief_KO
10-04-2013, 02:54 AM
Travel voucher settlements (PCS, TDY, Ret, Sep) will be delayed. AFFSC was furloughed, not sure about DFAS.

Smeghead
10-04-2013, 04:19 PM

That's absolutely not true. Gaylor NCOA are testing TDY folks early and then they go home. Local students are finishing the course.

DWWSWWD
10-04-2013, 04:35 PM
That's absolutely not true. Gaylor NCOA are testing TDY folks early and then they go home. Local students are finishing the course.

Yeah, I know. Thanks. It was true when I posted it, straight from our 4 star. It was also true a half a dozen times since then. Now as you pointed out..... Not true. Anecdotally, Gaylor is the only school that is able to test and graduate. Everyone else just went home.

Smeghead
10-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I know. Thanks. It was true when I posted it, straight from our 4 star. It was also true a half a dozen times since then. Now as you pointed out..... Not true. Anecdotally, Gaylor is the only school that is able to test and graduate. Everyone else just went home.

Well that sucks. At least the folks here won't have to redo. Feel bad for the others that will have to start over at a later date.

sandsjames
10-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Anecdotally, Gaylor is the only school that is able to test and graduate. Everyone else just went home.

That's because the military has been on the Gaylor bandwagon for the last couple years...:oldnews:

DWWSWWD
10-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Well that sucks. At least the folks here won't have to redo. Feel bad for the others that will have to start over at a later date.

One of the COAs being considered is letting them complete it by correspondence. I hope that is the one that they choose.

gumbo31
10-05-2013, 12:14 AM
I went to NCOA in 2011 when funding was frozen because of a possible government shutdown. My NCOA class started two weeks late but ended on the original schedule date. We attended class a few Saturdays, but overall I didn't feel like I missed anything. The Air Force could easily condense all PME and save a lot of money.

Silverback
10-05-2013, 02:24 AM
I went to NCOA in 05, no graduation, imagine that.
Hundreds of commanders or shirts didn't fly down
Spending tons of money for worthless certificate handout.
They should never have graduations where people from
Home base go TDY to them, either attend via vtc or just
Don't have graduation at all. Do people pine over having their
Commander fly down and glad hand. When I had guys
In NCOA, I flat out told my commander at times, sir no
Offense, but they'd rather you not go. Commander
Said no problem Tak, thanks for being straight.

I went through NCOA last year and there was not any formal graduation. I was happy about it. Most of us were not from the local base where the NCOA was. We just had a lunch where the certificates were handed out and then just about everyone left that same day back to their respective bases.

Bunch
10-05-2013, 02:33 AM
One of my flightmates was 2 weeks into NCOA and he is being sent back over the weekend.

Gonzo432
10-05-2013, 03:22 AM
I went to NCOA in 05, no graduation, imagine that.
Hundreds of commanders or shirts didn't fly down
Spending tons of money for worthless certificate handout.
They should never have graduations where people from
Home base go TDY to them, either attend via vtc or just
Don't have graduation at all. Do people pine over having their
Commander fly down and glad hand. When I had guys
In NCOA, I flat out told my commander at times, sir no
Offense, but they'd rather you not go. Commander
Said no problem Tak, thanks for being straight.

I was at SNCOA in 05. My class had a formal graduation but there was talk of it going away. Then E-9 of the AF Murray said the graduation was not something he remembered from SNCOA. I guess that's one thing that empty uniform DB got right.

Chief_KO
10-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Gotta admit, I am a fan of a graduation ceremony...although it doesn't have to be a big gala affair. ALS at Ft Meade had it right...open to all the family members. Yes, there were little kids there (news flash: Airmen have small children), and there was never a problem. We can't make everything a black-tie affair. ALS at Keesler was a blues (short sleeve) luncheon.
I do agree that when you are there TDY (NCOA/SNCOA especially) it is uncomfortable. Instead of paying for the CC/CCF/CCM to attend, why not pay for the member's spouse or other guest instead? I think that would make a big difference and more people would support grad ceremonies. After all, you've enjoyed NOT seeing your CC/CCF/CCM for the last 6 weeks or so and HAVE missed your spouse/significant other/partner/drinking buddy for the last 6 weeks...

sandsjames
10-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Too many "graduations". The fact that people think completion of these courses is an "achievement" cracks me up.

imnohero
10-05-2013, 02:25 PM
The camp who think graduation is a waste, don't want leaders there and want to get home ASAP.

Shoot, most of the people in my NCOA class didn't want to be there in the 1st place. Graduation "ceremony" was basically just diner and handing out the DG award. It was a waste of time and money.

BOSS302
10-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Shoot, most of the people in my NCOA class didn't want to be there in the 1st place. Graduation "ceremony" was basically just diner and handing out the DG award. It was a waste of time and money.

I assisted a First Sergeant Symposium "graduation". Why did they need certificates? I have never seen a TSgt or MSgt with their "symposium certificate" on the wall. I do know we spent $70-something because regular 8.5x11 was not good enough. We bought this ream of heavy stock paper that barely made it through the inkjet printer it was so stiff. Yes, it was a government printer with government-purchased ink. Even though there was only 30 people in the course, the organizer insisted we purchase three reams of the paper in case "anything happened".

WTF?

Taking into account also the food, drinks, and some coins the First Sergeants wanted made for a few people, the total cost came to about $300 for the graduation. It came out of private org. funds though. Still, what a waste of money.

imnohero
10-05-2013, 02:39 PM
Oh yeah...I had forgotten about the 'symposium' thing. I was so "lucky" to be part of the NCO generation that got experimented on for this "enhancement of PME". No one gave a crap about being there, and no one gave a crap after...I never once had a supervisor or sq leadership ask if I had attended one of these dumb things.

DWWSWWD
10-05-2013, 04:26 PM
You guys do know that we don't have graduation dinners anymore right? No TDYs, no mess dress. A few supervisors and family of locals, a certificate and a pat on the butt. 40 minutes.

Chief_KO
10-05-2013, 09:10 PM
I hear ya, I am speaking more of far away schools, for instance having people from Minot
Go to NCOA at Kessler. I simply don't think it's cost effective to fly and billet anyone
For a simple pme graduation.

Of course the real reason CC/CCF/CCC attend is to "network" with folks at base X. And for all the bitching I would hear from a CCC about always going, when I volunteered to go in his place and represent...declined. I went to 2 NCOAs down at Peterson before the ceremonies were canx'd (the only times I went as TDY Chief). There was a whole lot more of the Cols & Chiefs hob-nobbing (or is it nob gobbling) their buds than hanging with their NCOA grads and their spouses.

GoatDriver57
10-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Thanks! Headed home now.

Rip, how far did you get before making the turn-around? Good luck on your second try.

They were forcasting rain Monday, Oct 7th.

Ripcord
10-05-2013, 09:42 PM
Rip, how far did you get before making the turn-around? Good luck on your second try.

They were forcasting rain Monday, Oct 7th. about 270 miles. I was taking my time on the chance this would happen... taking leave next week then try again provided a cr or budget gets passed.

DWWSWWD
10-05-2013, 11:44 PM
I didn't know that changed. So no one goes TDY to any pme graduation anywhere in world?
When did they change?
Thanks.

A little more than a year ago. I can't speak for the overseas schools but stateside, no TDYs. For a while, we weren't aloud to even send out the announcement because they thought high rollers might take leave and come. Worried that may start a chain of ass-kissers coming on their own dime to impress someone. We do a real stripped down version. Done by 0930 so folks can get on the road. No invocation, no speaker.....

Chief_KO
10-06-2013, 12:52 AM
I agree...Being at a table with your commander is the same feeling as being on a date
and you look over and your parents are there chaperoning you. Now maybe in the old
days, you could buy each other shots and talk about beaver with the commander,
but those days are long gone. Back in 2006, I had won Comm & Info 3V NCO of the Year
at ACC level. The comm sq did not have it in the budget to send me, so the
commander went solo and collected award on my behalf and I think a few other folks.
He brought back the program, coin and ACC trophy for me. Months later when I won
at the Air Force level, they sent the trophy in the mail and it actually showed up at
my wives job in lodging and she brought it home to me. Last story, same subject,
in the missile wing, we won Missile Alert Facility of the Year for the whole command,
we got $25k as a reward. I was not allowed to but quality of life things like new pool
tables and such for the game rooms, rather they forced me to buy quality of living
items in the form of new SF desks and countertops for the dining rooms, oh and
also gave money to the other missile squadrons for no reason whatsoever.
The commander didn't even offer any enlisted to go acceopt the award,
instead the commander went to peterson AFB and brought the trophy back to us.
The whole thing is sickening to watch and totally political and increases the gulf
between officers and enlisteds.

Wow...what a crock of $hit.

Pullinteeth
10-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Whew....at least this Lt Col has some sense.... He understands that PME is WAAAAAY more important than flying....

http://www.af.mil/News/Commentaries/Display/tabid/271/Article/467191/squadron-officer-school-tax-dollars-well-spent.aspx

imported_StandardsAMust
10-21-2013, 08:11 AM
Air Force officials will announce today the three options 900 Airmen who were sent home early from ALS or NCOA can choose from.

SomeRandomGuy
10-21-2013, 12:31 PM
Air Force officials will announce today the three options 900 Airmen who were sent home early from ALS or NCOA can choose from.

I hope one of them is to allow anyone who scores 100 on their PT test to be exempted from the remainder of the course and automatically be given a pass.

imported_StandardsAMust
10-22-2013, 12:44 PM
I hope one of them is to allow anyone who scores 100 on their PT test to be exempted from the remainder of the course and automatically be given a pass.

It's not one of the options...

1a. Airmen can elect to attend the full in-residence course. These Airmen will be scheduled by AFPC during FY14 using normal selection criteria.

1b. Airmen can enroll in the available EPME Distance Learning (DL) Course. Students who choose the DL option must enroll within 30 days of notification by AFPC and will be required to complete the course within 12 months of enrollment.

1c. Airmen who completed at least fifty percent of required academic days, i.e. 14 for NCOA and 12 for ALS, will have the option to return and resume the EPME course at the point which they departed. AFPC will make every attempt to schedule these Airmen in the next available class.

DWWSWWD
10-23-2013, 01:18 PM
1c. Airmen who completed at least fifty percent of required academic days, i.e. 14 for NCOA and 12 for ALS, will have the option to return and resume the EPME course at the point which they departed. AFPC will make every attempt to schedule these Airmen in the next available class. If anyone cares, there is one NCOA in which students can drop in. Everyone else starts over. No issue at all with that since the folks attending in-residence will have made the choice to come back, instead of taking the DL.