PDA

View Full Version : Air Force Basic Training compared to the other branches

jondstewart
09-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Something the TI's just haven't done right for years, at least in the area of initiative and self-sufficiency. When I was NCOIC at the some of the fitness centers on Lackland in the late 1990's and early 2000's, I would get detail Airmen right out of BMT and give them a list of cleaning details for the day. Every 5-30 minutes they would come up to me asking what to do next and kept bugging me or else just sit down and do nothing when they were finished with only the exact things I told them to do. Whereas I would get Navy or Marine details once in a while, I'd give them the rundown, the cleaning supplies, and they left me alone the whole day and just found stuff to do!

Koa1121
09-28-2013, 11:53 AM
Have you been an MTI?

USMC0341
09-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Marines are good at out of sight, out of mind.

sandsjames
09-28-2013, 12:19 PM
Something the TI's just haven't done right for years, at least in the area of initiative and self-sufficiency. When I was NCOIC at the some of the fitness centers on Lackland in the late 1990's and early 2000's, I would get detail Airmen right out of BMT and give them a list of cleaning details for the day. Every 5-30 minutes they would come up to me asking what to do next and kept bugging me or else just sit down and do nothing when they were finished with only the exact things I told them to do. Whereas I would get Navy or Marine details once in a while, I'd give them the rundown, the cleaning supplies, and they left me alone the whole day and just found stuff to do!

Not sure this has anything to do with TI's. Probably has more to do with people getting tired of doing BS tasks just to kill time.

Greg
09-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Marines are good at out of sight, out of mind.

Know when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em.

Rusty Jones
09-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Not something I'm particularly proud of, but yeah - give a Sailor some cleaning supplies and 250 sq feet of spaces to clean, and he'll be busy for at least three hours.

That's the reality of life in the Fleet.

Most Sailors do this on a DAILY basis... the SAME space(s) EVERYDAY.

Smeghead
09-30-2013, 01:15 PM

"Something the TIs haven't done right?" Because it's the street instructors who write the curriculum right? Well towel folder, maybe you should have put a package in and gone down there and fixed them durned young uns. Instead of sitting there bitching about something you did nothing to improve. You compare trainees who are in the middle of being indoctrinated into doing everything they're told for fear of getting destroyed for screwing up, to non-basic training Marines and Sailors who--as has already been stated--are exceptionally good at F'ing off.

Pullinteeth
09-30-2013, 05:46 PM
So if I understand the issue, the fact that the AF trainees keep coming back for more work proves that they aren't being trained properly whereas the Seamen and Marines that disappear for the entire day when given a list of chores that takes minutes/hours are being trained at how to properly fuck-off?

jondstewart
09-30-2013, 06:17 PM
"Something the TIs haven't done right?" Because it's the street instructors who write the curriculum right? Well towel folder, maybe you should have put a package in and gone down there and fixed them durned young uns. Instead of sitting there bitching about something you did nothing to improve. You compare trainees who are in the middle of being indoctrinated into doing everything they're told for fear of getting destroyed for screwing up, to non-basic training Marines and Sailors who--as has already been stated--are exceptionally good at F'ing off.

No need to do personal attacks. I was a young NCO then. It was just an observation, which makes me Issac Fricken Newton! And the Air Force is not the best teacher, at least in the area of getting you ready for the real world, because you're not taught to be a self-starter, at least anymore.

Yes, "towel folder". I was making the same money as someone that had a job with a year of tech school and another year of OJT. BRRRRRRT!

Sergeant eNYgma
10-02-2013, 06:45 PM
That in itself proves nothing imo but different strokes...different folks...