PDA

View Full Version : So what is basic training for again? BMT transition program

mikezulu1
09-25-2013, 09:32 PM
link to AFT article discussing new program

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467177/feedback-on-sexual-assault-prevention-and-response-blog.aspx

"Additionally, we are developing a Basic Military Training Transition program where our newest Airmen will spend one-week in a classroom environment between BMT graduation and technical school. Here they will learn about a variety of issues to include the Air Force culture and what’s expected of them as Airmen."

Uhhh I kind of remember sitting through countless classes on "how to be an airmen" think we even took a test called "the airmens test". Wonder how much this additional week of training will cost, as congress ponders cutting 25k airmen, increased tricare fees, reduced retirement benefits etc..

Silverback
09-25-2013, 10:43 PM
That makes no sense. Going through BMT should show an Airman what is expected of them. Those who don't know what is expected of them get recycled or discharged.

BRUWIN
09-26-2013, 12:29 AM
I always thought FTAC was supposed to cover this.

When I was still in uniform I tried to spearhead a few transition courses. Once the airmen arrived from Basic Training and attended FTAC I suggested they go through a one week course transition from FTAC in an "FTAC to Transition Course" course. This would prep them for the one week "Transition Course to Unit Course" that would transition them to their unit. I'm not sure why it never took hold. I received many laudatory comments for the idea and even volunteered to delay my retirement to help see it to fruition but they said they would take the ball and run and hurried me out the door to save me stress.

Bunch
09-26-2013, 03:56 AM
They should call it the Kool Aid Indoctrination Course

imported_UncommonSense
09-26-2013, 12:07 PM

When I was still in uniform I tried to spearhead a few transition courses. Once the airmen arrived from Basic Training and attended FTAC I suggested they go through a one week course transition from FTAC in an "FTAC to Transition Course" course. This would prep them for the one week "Transition Course to Unit Course" that would transition them to their unit. I'm not sure why it never took hold. I received many laudatory comments for the idea and even volunteered to delay my retirement to help see it to fruition but they said they would take the ball and run and hurried me out the door to save me stress.

I'm stealing this and presenting it as my own idea at the next staff meeting

Drackore
09-26-2013, 12:10 PM
3 more years of this nonsense...

Smeghead
09-26-2013, 12:32 PM
... Those who don't know what is expected of them get recycled or discharged.

LMAO. Funniest thing I've read in a long time. Have you been anywhere near the 737th lately?

imported_StandardsAMust
09-26-2013, 01:12 PM
"Finally, this month, we will share final outcomes of convicted court cases with the Air Force Times so all of our Airmen can have visibility on the final disposition of those convicted of this crime."

Wow...when did the AFT become the official newspaper endorsed by the Air Force? I missed this memo. All Airmen read the AFT?

AFcynic
09-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Those who don't know what is expected of them get recycled or discharged.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Wait, wait, wait, (pauses for breath) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That isn't the way the game is played any more, my man. The inmates run the asylum!

Smeghead
09-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Those who don't know what is expected of them drop a critique form and get their instructor removed.

FIFY

Gonzo432
09-26-2013, 04:17 PM
LMAO. Funniest thing I've read in a long time. Have you been anywhere near the 737th lately?

It was March 1986 and it was the 3743rd (3-digit squadrons were Skelator McPeak's doing). I understand BMT has changed.

OtisRNeedleman
09-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Hmmm...adding a week of basic training AFTER basic training, yet before tech school. How will the AF accommodate tech schools run by other services? Where will the additional resources come from, in this sequestration environment? Why doesn't the AF just treat their members like professionals instead of children, punish by exception, and respect victims but not beatify them?

giggawatt
09-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Hmmm...adding a week of basic training AFTER basic training, yet before tech school. How will the AF accommodate tech schools run by other services? Where will the additional resources come from, in this sequestration environment? Why doesn't the AF just treat their members like professionals instead of children, punish by exception, and respect victims but not beatify them?

Why don't catfish have kittens?

BOSS302
09-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Why don't catfish have kittens?

The typical sort of question presented at a Power Pro weekly safety meeting.

Koa1121
09-26-2013, 10:14 PM
It's a shame that instructors are so afraid of jeopardizing their career that they can't do this in basic anymore.

giggawatt
09-27-2013, 08:02 AM
The typical sort of question presented at a Power Pro weekly safety meeting.

True! There's always that one guy.

NCO: Flu shots will be given at the gym on <Date> <time>. The whole shop will be there to get their flu shot.

AMN: What if you already had your flu shot?

NCO: http://i926.photobucket.com/albums/ad104/montelwilliams/bert3.gif

sandsjames
09-27-2013, 11:40 AM

NCO: Flu shots will be given at the gym on <Date> <time>. The whole shop will be there to get their flu shot.

I think I worked with that guy.

Shaken1976
09-27-2013, 12:01 PM
I ran into the BX yesterday during lunch. As I was leaving, a recent basic training grad walked by me. This kid was on his cell phone, drinking something as he walked out the door, and was standing outside with no hat on. As I approached him he looked at me with raised eyebrows. I tapped my head in the universal...where is your hat sign and again he looked at me. I then told him to put his hat on his head and he said "Oh". He was about to step off the curb still on the phone and still with his straw stuck in his mouth (Not sure how he was talking). I called him back and told him that he wasn't supposed to walk and talk in uniform nor drink while walking. He kind of looked at me and said his TI never told him that. I just told him that they were the rules just like wearing a hat outside. I was then on my way.

As I was driving away in my car I see the same airman being torn into by an officer. Guess he didn't listen when I was nice to him.

20+Years
09-27-2013, 12:56 PM
His TI might not have told him about the need to salute in front of the BX... :upset:

MrMiracle
09-27-2013, 01:33 PM
This program already exists. It's called leaving AETC.

loader67
09-27-2013, 03:12 PM

If you would have added the "Transitioning from the Unit to your Shop/Flight Course" it would had been implemented. A short three month course to allow the new Airman to learn what his job is since he/she/it probably didn't learn it in Tech school.

Pullinteeth
09-27-2013, 03:58 PM
I ran into the BX yesterday during lunch. As I was leaving, a recent basic training grad walked by me. This kid was on his cell phone, drinking something as he walked out the door, and was standing outside with no hat on. As I approached him he looked at me with raised eyebrows. I tapped my head in the universal...where is your hat sign and again he looked at me. I then told him to put his hat on his head and he said "Oh". He was about to step off the curb still on the phone and still with his straw stuck in his mouth (Not sure how he was talking). I called him back and told him that he wasn't supposed to walk and talk in uniform nor drink while walking. He kind of looked at me and said his TI never told him that. I just told him that they were the rules just like wearing a hat outside. I was then on my way.

As I was driving away in my car I see the same airman being torn into by an officer. Guess he didn't listen when I was nice to him.

You are of course aware that you were incorrect right? I can walk and talk and do so every day-even on a phone. Of course it has to be for official business or an emergency but it CAN be done.

Gonzo
09-27-2013, 06:24 PM
You are of course aware that you were incorrect right? I can walk and talk and do so every day-even on a phone. Of course it has to be for official business or an emergency but it CAN be done.

How many BMT Airmen need to conduct official business on their cell phones?

OtisRNeedleman
09-27-2013, 06:50 PM
This program already exists. It's called leaving AETC.

Yes and no. I was always glad to leave ATC as a student. But as a permanent party type I missed ATC. This was before it became AETC. ATC treated me FAR better than Security Service/Electronic Security Command/AF Intel Command/whatever they call themselves now ever did. I was well taken care of at Goodfellow and Randolph.

Shaken1976
09-30-2013, 02:33 PM

True. But this guy was not on official business. It was pretty obvious.

Capt Alfredo
09-30-2013, 11:52 PM
True. But this guy was not on official business. It was pretty obvious.

Did you ask? Because you know what happens when we make assumptions.

sandsjames
10-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Did you ask? Because you know what happens when we make assumptions.

Well, she did say an officer was later chewing his ass and, as we know, an officer wouldn't have made the assumption. They are better trained than that.

Capt Alfredo
10-02-2013, 12:48 AM
Well, she did say an officer was later chewing his ass and, as we know, an officer wouldn't have made the assumption. They are better trained than that.

There is no rank prerequisite for idiocy.

Gonzo432
10-02-2013, 01:05 AM
There is no rank prerequisite for idiocy.

Can I use this one? It's an instant classic!

Sergeant eNYgma
10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Waste of time and money...complete bull crap.

FTAC can cover that and tbh FTAC shouldn't even be around the superviser should be on the hook to cover what FTAC would do. No need for the troop to be out for 100 years getting power pointed to death.

Sergeant eNYgma
10-02-2013, 04:58 PM

Lmao had this happen....

Pullinteeth
10-02-2013, 06:24 PM
How many BMT Airmen need to conduct official business on their cell phones?

Recently graduated is a pretty relative term and how would I know how many?

Gonzo
10-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Recently graduated is a pretty relative term and how would I know how many?

Well the question was rhetorical but since it is not obvious to you the answer is none.

Pullinteeth
10-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Well the question was rhetorical but since it is not obvious to you the answer is none.

So if a tech school student was called on his/her cell phone for a recall, you wouldn't consider that official business?

Gonzo
10-02-2013, 07:09 PM
This wasn't a tech school student as noted by the OP and tech training AiT are not supposed to have their phones on them during the duty day anyway even though we know they carry them. The OP stated this was a BMT grad. Technically I am a BMT grad but even 21 years later I have hardly a reason to walk and talk on my phone in uniform let alone an Amn that is in/at BMT.

sandsjames
10-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Honestly, who gives a shit either way? It's be a very cold day in Hell before I'd stop someone for walking and talking/eating/drinking/etc. One of the dumbest rules ever. I can see not letting them have them during the "duty day" but afterword, who cares? I learned at a very early age to be able to talk to someone while walking.

Pullinteeth
10-02-2013, 07:49 PM
This wasn't a tech school student as noted by the OP and tech training AiT are not supposed to have their phones on them during the duty day anyway even though we know they carry them. The OP stated this was a BMT grad. Technically I am a BMT grad but even 21 years later I have hardly a reason to walk and talk on my phone in uniform let alone an Amn that is in/at BMT.

First off, the AF doesn't have AIT so.... The OP didn't state it was a BMT grad, said a "recent BMT grad." There are literally hundreds of tech school students that ARE allowed to have cell phones-some of them the day after they arrive from BMT. I walk and talk on my government phone while in uniform almost every day. Who gives a shit what you or I do or not do? Shaken said it was against the rules to walk and talk on a phone while in uniform and I merely pointed out she was wrong then you went off the rails about how there is no possible reason for a recent BMT grad to talk on the phone...
:focus

I don't even know why we have FTAC. Back in my day.... :twak: That's what a supervisor was for....

Capt Alfredo
10-03-2013, 12:04 AM
Can I use this one? It's an instant classic!

Of course, feel free.

talon1load
10-07-2013, 10:38 PM
A lot of you guys like to argue just for the sake of arguing don't you? You're not supposed to talk on your phone and walk unless it's for official business. The Op said they corrected him politely and went about their business. Could the recent BMT grad have been on an official phone call? Maybe, but if he was he probably would have displayed a little more urgency than standing outside the BX sipping his drink. Does it really matter? No. I walk and talk or drink all the time. It's a dumb rule and honestly with the state the AF is in we have bigger shit to worry about.

sandsjames
10-07-2013, 11:03 PM
A lot of you guys like to argue just for the sake of arguing don't you? So what are you arguing for? Nothing more than for the sake of arguing...

talon1load
10-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Yep. At least I'm upfront about it though.

BOSS302
10-09-2013, 07:37 AM
First off, the AF doesn't have AIT so.... ..

Well, actually, it does....

"AIRMEN in TRAINING (AiT)
NEWCOMER’S INFORMATION
INPROCESSING: Airmen in Training are assigned a Military Training Leader (MTL) upon their arrival at Sheppard to assist them in their transition and in-processing the base...."

http://www.sheppard.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-120302-054.pdf

giggawatt
10-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Well, if you look at his OP, he specifically spelled out AIT with a capital "I" so technically he's right. :banana:

BOSS302
10-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Well, if you look at his OP, he specifically spelled out AIT with a capital "I" so technically he's right. :banana:

Boooo.....:fish2

giggawatt
10-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Boooo.....:fish2

:theyareontome:

Smeghead
10-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Well, actually, it does....

"AIRMEN in TRAINING (AiT)
NEWCOMER’S INFORMATION
INPROCESSING: Airmen in Training are assigned a Military Training Leader (MTL) upon their arrival at Sheppard to assist them in their transition and in-processing the base...."

http://www.sheppard.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-120302-054.pdf

So does mean trainees at Lackland are all TiTs? Trainees in Training?

Pullinteeth
10-09-2013, 05:29 PM

Apparently so....

SomeRandomGuy
10-09-2013, 05:38 PM

Sounds fine to me. I have a friend who is down there now. I believe he is in Flight 36B.

RetC141BFCC
10-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Sounds fine to me. I have a friend who is down there now. I believe he is in Flight 36B.

Can you say 36B is that not a sexuel Term?

sandsjames
10-10-2013, 04:02 PM
They should rename Airmen in Training to Airmen Needing Useful Supervision.

SomeRandomGuy
10-10-2013, 04:12 PM

I'm not sure what context would make it sexual. 36B is just the name of the flight. I believe they are technically just a support function of the 80085 Squadron. :semi-twins:

RetC141BFCC
10-10-2013, 05:22 PM
I'm not sure what context would make it sexual. 36B is just the name of the flight. I believe they are technically just a support function of the 80085 Squadron. :semi-twins:

Hey sorry if you took it the wrong way. It was meant as a joke. With all the PC bullshit now. Remember you can not say 6 and 9 anymore.

Pullinteeth
10-10-2013, 05:36 PM

Methinks the conversation went right over your head....

:plane

RobotChicken
10-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Hey sorry if you took it the wrong way. It was meant as a joke. With all the PC bullshit now. Remember you can not say 6 and 9 anymore.

:smoker2: " 'Ret141BFCC'; in case you missed it, jokes are 'FROWNED' upon due to 'some' members lack of 'un common sense' along with 75% of my 'E-Coms' due to their complexity of understanding. Best to stay 'Eunuch' on matters here."

SomeRandomGuy
10-10-2013, 06:08 PM

Mine was a joke too. (Hint: If you type 80085 out on a calculator it spells Boobs)

RetC141BFCC
10-10-2013, 06:42 PM
OK I miss it sometimes. Remember I am one of those who fell for PT God. HE did have some funny shit