PDA

View Full Version : I just threw up in my mouth a little

mikezulu1
09-24-2013, 07:57 PM
http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130924/NEWS/309240008/Sexual-misconduct-reports-hit-0-basic

"New rules require instructors and trainees to remain at least an arm’s length apart."

"Stairwells have anonymous comment boxes. Basic Military Training commander Col. Deborah Liddick reads all feedback left in them."
glad we are teaching them to circumvent the chain of command at such an early stage.

So let me get this straight, the Air force wants to stop sexual assaults, DUIs, suicide etc....etc.... but lets lower the standards to get through basic to where its now a glorified fat camp. WTF!!!??!?!?!

Kicker47
09-24-2013, 08:08 PM
"The name of the game ... is just staying out of trouble nowadays.”

Hmmm...why does that sound familiar?

Silverback
09-24-2013, 10:31 PM
I'm sure when the quality of the Airmen coming out of basic training gets worse, then they may give the training instructors more authority again. From what I have heard from most people, this is just an over correction of the things that were wrong in basic. I feel for anyone who is a TI right now.

BOSS302
09-25-2013, 08:11 AM
I started a thread a while back that described my desire to become an MTI. This is cause for me to reconsider...

Absinthe Anecdote
09-25-2013, 11:42 AM
If those comment boxes are anonymous, I'm assuming there is no camera pointed at them, the MTIs could have a field day leaving their own comments in them. They just have to make sure they leave no finger prints on the paper and just flood the boxes with all kinds of crazy accusations about officers, chow hall food, mind control ray guns, ghosts or anything else.

I would start off with a bunch of shit from Monty Python movies.

TSgt Smith turned me into a newt! Of course, I did get better.

TSgt Jones is guilty of witchcraft!

The chow hall workers put Spanish Fly in the drinking water and we had a massive orgy last night.

They put us on busses and take us to a farm in Mexico every third night to make us pick lettuce.

They make us march too damn much!

Those boxes would be gone in a month or they would be hip deep in OSI agents trying to figure out who was putting all that crap in the boxes.

TIMBERLAND722
09-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Nope. He didn't. I worked under her when she was the Commander of the 28 MUNS in Ellsworth back in 2004-2006. She was a very good leader. If she didn't succumb to the Kool-Aid (which wasn't her way) she is being told how shits gonna be. No way she made that crap up herself. Not her style.

Koa1121
09-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Weird, apparently she didn't leave too much of a positive legacy at Luke AFB right before she left for Lackland.

Chief_KO
09-28-2013, 02:38 PM
I remember comment boxes, hands-off & no foul language policies at BMT in 1982. Nothing new here.

Koa1121
09-28-2013, 03:32 PM
I remember comment boxes, hands-off & no foul language policies at BMT in 1982. Nothing new here.

I'm willing to bet MTI's weren't placed under investigation, or kicked out of the job for using foul language back then though.

Chief_KO
09-29-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm willing to bet MTI's weren't placed under investigation, or kicked out of the job for using foul language back then though.

True, but I also don't recall MTIs forcing male Airmen to put Icy Hot on their junk, or kicking them while doing PT. Also males only had male flights, females only had female flights, no intermingling except in classroom training and at church.

The MTI thing is a prime example of goes wrong at every level, oneupsmanship. Each group wants to go bigger (badder) than their predecessors. Each squadron Christmas party has to be more$ than last years, each awards do-dad needs to be bigger ($), PME & promotion do-dads etc. That MTI ship had been sailing on that course for a while, I'd guess 10 - 15 years or so...gaining more and more mass each year till it crashed into reef.

Smeghead
09-30-2013, 01:36 PM
The MTI thing is a prime example of goes wrong at every level, oneupsmanship. Each group wants to go bigger (badder) than their predecessors. Each squadron Christmas party has to be more$ than last years, each awards do-dad needs to be bigger ($), PME & promotion do-dads etc. That MTI ship had been sailing on that course for a while, I'd guess 10 - 15 years or so...gaining more and more mass each year till it crashed into reef.

This.
We all had to be harder than the last guy. Everyon was afraid of being called "milk and cookies." There were always the instructors--and they were easy to spot--who put on the biggest show in the chow hall. There's absolutely no need for R Lee Ermey tactics in Air Force BMT. For the special tactics squadrons, maybe. But for the rest of us, what are we "toughening" up for? To install Windows 7? Photograph a change of command ceremony? Clean someone's teeth? But at some point MTIs decided they had to yell louder, get right in trainees' faces, make them do more PT. If anything we fed our own egos. I'll freely admit I did. It's amazing how loose we got with what we considered had "a training objective." I was a dick because I was allowed to be.

Chief_KO
09-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Smeghead,
Appreciate your honesty and perspective. The worst thing I remember a MTI doing in my flight was having us play pick em up/put em down till about 2 AM, and making our first Dorm Leader fetch his pen (like a dog). Our DL was a USMC BMT washout (broken leg). During our first BS session, the guy fessed up to prior mil experience and the MTI picked him to be our DL. Since he was prior USMC (sort off) the TI called him a Devil Dog and proceeded to throw his pen down they bay from the dorm room. We got a new TI about a week later (not sure where the first one went to) and he was much more professional.
I know USAFA had a big problem with the AOCs and upper classmen being in charge of military discipline. Guess that attitude bled over into BMT as well.